News:

Our thoughts go to Silver and his family in this difficult time.

Main Menu

Slaking

Started by Matt, April 12, 2009, 07:19:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt

Lets discuss Slaking in terms of being for competitive use. Slaking has great HP and Atk EVs, as well as having decent Spe/Def/SpA EVs. Sadly his ability can be a real kick in the ass, due it making him useless every other turn. Though, if used correctly with a strong moveset Slaking is very deadly. I myself am considering him as apart of my new team. Would you ever put Slaking on your team?

Discuss... now.

jnfs2014

Matt

Quote from: JNeedForSpeed2014 on April 12, 2009, 10:16:23 AM
Skill Swap.

Which would be very useful if he could learn Skill Swap, but sadly no he can't.

jnfs2014

Hm.....Could've sworn I saw it somewhere.

DededeCloneChris

Quote from: Matt on April 12, 2009, 12:58:20 PM
Skill Swap.

In a Double Battle with another Pokémon who knows that, yes.

Better yet, Worry Seed or Gastro Acid.

Qsmash

I already use Slaking(Candy Kong) in my team. It's a beast.

Matt

Quote from: wiiboychris on April 12, 2009, 01:07:27 PM
Quote from: Matt on April 12, 2009, 12:58:20 PM
Skill Swap.

In a Double Battle with another Pokémon who knows that, yes.

Better yet, Worry Seed or Gastro Acid.

Well, in double battles yes, but I guess I should have been specific to my point and directed this towards singles.

FruitFlow

I used to have a Slaking once in my team, but took him out for 3 reasons:

1. His Truant ability brought him down by a lot.
2. His rediculously low Sp. Def would get him knocked out by Sp. sweepers and Focus Blast.
3. There were better choices out there for me to choose.

IMO, Slaking is best only for those that actually know/can take advantage of his abilities.

He has great stats, except Sp. def.
Has a variety of moves to choose from.
Has his very own healing technique. (Better than Rest, unless you have a status effect you want to get rid of).
And last but not least, he only has one weakness.

Matt, what area were you going to tame him in?
Attack or Sp. Attack?

"Many people see technology as the problem behind the so-called digital divide. Others see it as the solution. Technology is neither. It must operate in conjunction with business, economic, political and social system."

JrDude

I'd never use him in my team, that ability is the only reason I need to know to say no.
[move][/move]
Dude .

Doodle

Really, his only problems are his Truant ability and his low Sp. Def stat.
If you can keep him away from Special Attackers, Slaking could be a beast.
YEAH

Macawmoses

He saw the issue with Slaking last night though - my starmie comes out, blasts him with tbolt, he hit with whatever. I get full recover, and he ends up with a wasted turn. Bam, one more hit, Slaking is out. That's ignoring something like Spikes being out doing damage on the switch. Slaking can be a beast....but that truant is deadly.

Matt

Quote from: Layton on April 13, 2009, 02:33:22 PM
He saw the issue with Slaking last night though - my starmie comes out, blasts him with tbolt, he hit with whatever. I get full recover, and he ends up with a wasted turn. Bam, one more hit, Slaking is out. That's ignoring something like Spikes being out doing damage on the switch. Slaking can be a beast....but that truant is deadly.

Still working out the kinks with Slaking, like I have said... as well as Shoddy seeing first time really using it was last night.

Macawmoses

The simple fact is that if you plan to keep Slaking, you need to retool the entire team. Any Pokemon with something like Protect has it made.....while Roost/Recover are out to get you too.

Matt

Quote from: Layton on April 14, 2009, 12:36:01 PM
The simple fact is that if you plan to keep Slaking, you need to retool the entire team. Any Pokemon with something like Protect has it made.....while Roost/Recover are out to get you too.

Still working out all the possibilities.

jnfs2014

Use Smogon. it helps.