News:

Our thoughts go to Silver and his family in this difficult time.

Main Menu

No Custom Levels Online WHY?

Started by DistantWords, March 19, 2008, 09:11:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DistantWords

I'm pretty irritated right now..  I've spent considerable time since getting my Wii back from Nintendo (I was one of those unlucky few) creating custom levels.  And the truth is, I've been having more fun on my own levels than anything else in the game (not just creating, but playing on them).

I was SO looking forward to playing them with my friends online.  But then I found out you can't...

So just out of curiousity, to see if this was maybe a file size issue, I decided to do an experiment.  I took an empty SD card, and did some checking before and after moving ONE level to it.

A 256 MB SD card.

Free block before adding the level: 1927 blocks.
Free blocks AFTER adding the level: 1927 blocks.
File size of what was moved to the SD card, per my computer: 28kb.

28kb!!!

That's less than your typical HTML file!  And I'm talking the HMTL file itself, not a "web page" (a web page is more than just the HTML file, it's also all the graphics and media and what not required for the page).

28kb would take less than a second or two to transfer on DIAL UP!!

I really don't see why they couldn't have set aside LESS than a block of memory in the SSBB save file to store temparary map data that would get transfered at the start of a match, then deleted once the match is over...

This REALLY irritates me...

And I'm sorry if this sounds like nit picking or anything, but I've made some really fun levels, and I've only had the game playable since this Monday (Monday afternoon to be exact)...  And IMO, playing custom levels online ALONE could have kept this game fresh for years!

GRRRRrrrr...

Had to vent....
Looking for any old friends from Nsider.  If you remember me, let me know!

Brand new AC:WW town created. PM me for FC info.

DededeCloneChris

Interesting, great examination.

I agree, but at least you can send them to friends...wait, nobody has sent their custom stages yet?

DistantWords

I've sent one stage to one friend so far...  But that's because that one person is the only one I have registered with both the Wii AND Brawl..

Another drawback.  But, I can understand the reasoning behind that one...  Got a few people I'm waiting on either to get SSBB, or add me to their Wii as well.

Geno

"You might make a stage shaped like boobies! It might scar little children for life!"

That's what's going on in Nintendo's head.

Java

I was looking forward to playing on Custom Stages too.  :-\

DistantWords

Quote from: Geno on March 19, 2008, 11:33:00 AM
"You might make a stage shaped like boobies! It might scar little children for life!"

That's what's going on in Nintendo's head.

LOL!!!!

Totally off the subject, but in following to that...  Not sure if anyone here even pays any attention to the Check Mii Out channel, but my wife does and let me tell you...  There are some NASTY Miis in that thing!

I won't go into detail, but I'll just say that boobies are the least of Nintendo's worries...

Funny that even after a few months they are still there too...

THEEVILSPERKY

I'm completely with you on that.  It was a bit upsetting to myself too.

I don't have much of a sensation of versing other people.. and we're given zero options save which character you wanna be. -_-

I though custom stages online would be a given... especially considering how you get sent custom stages through online connectivity too.  What a shame.
NES, SNES, N64, GCN (Jet Black), PQ (JPN), Wii, GBP (Clear), GBC (Green x2), GBASP (x2 Cobalt, x1 NES), DSLite (Black), SG3, SDC (x1 BIG, x1 Clear black top, solid grey/beige bottom), PS (x2), PS2 (Slim, Silver), PS3 (NTSC 60GB upgraded to 500GB), PSP 2000 (Silver, 4GB), XBox360 Elite

SkyMyl

Here is a simple explanation: You made the custom stage. You know it left and right, foward and back. You have an advantage. A CLEAR advantage, because chances are that the person you fight online doesn't know that stage, and if it's a stage that requires a decent recovery move and your opponent is Popo or Nana (The Ice Climbers without the twin), they're screwed!

Great examination, by the way. :O

tibar7

Quote from: MasterYoungLink on March 19, 2008, 12:57:27 PM
Here is a simple explanation: You made the custom stage. You know it left and right, foward and back. You have an advantage. A CLEAR advantage, because chances are that the person you fight online doesn't know that stage, and if it's a stage that requires a decent recovery move and your opponent is Zero Suit Samus, they're screwed!

if you know how and when to use it, ZSamus's recovery is one of the best in the game.
The Brawl Shenanigans -Tibar's Team

I know, my sig is just awesome! Die spoiler rule!

SkyMyl

Quote from: tibar7 on March 19, 2008, 01:04:21 PM
Quote from: MasterYoungLink on March 19, 2008, 12:57:27 PM
Here is a simple explanation: You made the custom stage. You know it left and right, foward and back. You have an advantage. A CLEAR advantage, because chances are that the person you fight online doesn't know that stage, and if it's a stage that requires a decent recovery move and your opponent is Zero Suit Samus, they're screwed!

if you know how and when to use it, ZSamus's recovery is one of the best in the game.
For me, it fails. *Edits*

Ultrasuperstarenator

It would probably give you un unfair advantage, like forceing them to start off a cliff, in a cage, somewhere where you would dominate.

Plus, it could possably take too much loading

DistantWords

Quote from: Ultrasuperstarenator on March 19, 2008, 01:39:06 PM
It would probably give you un unfair advantage, like forceing them to start off a cliff, in a cage, somewhere where you would dominate.

Plus, it could possably take too much loading

I can see there being an unfair advantage for the fact that the creator knows the level and the other's don't...  But I don't see how that's different from someone who's played the game like 100+ hours playing someone who just picked it up for the first time...

As far as starting you off, the creator of the level has no control over where you start off.  There is no "Spawn Placement".  The computer just puts you randomly where it's solid.  If there's not enough solid ground, the computer won't let you save the file to begin with.

As for loading, it wouldn't take any longer than loading any other level.  As I said, the save file for each stage is only 28KB.  That's really less than a second to download on Dial Up...  All the "meat" of the level just loads from the disc, just like the rest of the game.

I myself don't notice any extra time loading a custom stage vs. a regular stage..  The only "extra" time would be spent distributing the level file, which like I said, would be less than a second on dial up...  Which you can't even play if you're not better than dial up...