News:

UH SOMETHING BROKE HANG ON

Main Menu

The E3 2012 Info and Discussion Thread

Started by Hero_of_Darkness, May 23, 2012, 01:58:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nayrman

Huh, you're right Tupin. Been a while since a Nintendo conference has truly been good.

They really needed something to offset the Mario spam and ports. Pikmin 3 looks like a great game and all, and I'll probably enjoy it if I play it, but still. They needed something with a bit more meat to it that could prove what the WiiU could do but failed to deliver.

Neerb

Quote from: zephilicious on June 05, 2012, 02:16:00 PM
wii hype was almost entirely based on twilight princess

^^-- This. Wii had all of nothing good when it came out, except, you know, casuals and ports (TP is technically a Gamecube port, and everyone knew that months before it came out, AND the Gamecube version ended up with better reviews).

If anything, I'd say that Wii U looks better for gamers already since:
1. The ports are of mostly modern, GOOD games from third-parties who will likely support it even more in the future; Wii U is 20x more core than Wii and it's not even out yet.
2. A new Mario and Pikmin is better than... what 1st party exclusives were at Wii's launch? Oh yeah, WarioWare... which Wii U will also get one of.
3. Nintendoland>>>>>>>Mii hype of the Wii. Yeah, it's minigames, basically casualware... featuring levels based on Zelda, Pikmin, F-Zero, Metroid, and more. I'm not whining about what Nintendoland is, I'm excited for what it represents.

Yeah, this is the worst Nintendo conference since 2008; I'm not gonna deny that. But this thread has turned from "omigosh the wiiu is manna from heaven" to "wii u has zero potential and nintendo should go third-party immediately" so fast it makes me wonder if your brains turned to mush after the first day of conferences (except Nayr, who hates everything already). Console launches have sucked for as long as I can remember, and even if Nintendo is spamming Mario like there's no tomorrow, I'm not jumping ship just because I didn't get a freaking Metroid/Star Fox crossover.

Nayrman

Nayrman

Trevelyan... I WANT the WiiU to be great. A Nintendo system with all the good upcoming games everyone else gets? Hell yes. Too bad Nintendo WON'T GIVE ME THE GAMES I WANT.

I love Mario games, yes, but I don't want intercourse ing five of them every year. Guess what Nintendo? I also love F-Zero, Metroid, Star Fox, DK, and the rest. Why don't I get any of them? Oh right, they don't make oodles of money super easily...

zephilicious

the success of nsmb has given nintendo an excuse to pump out poopty mario launch titles, instead of reinventing mario as the flagship launch title for every generation (smb through sm64, you could also count luigi's mantion)
~~ <3

X-3

Quote from: Tupin on June 05, 2012, 02:22:10 PM
Come to think of it, Nintendo hasn't had an interesting conference since E3 2006.

I thought 2010 was a pretty good conference.

Anyway this P-100 game has ugly graphics but other than that it looks fun. Why wasn't it shown at the conference?

Nayrman

Quote from: X-3 on June 05, 2012, 02:41:36 PM
I thought 2010 was a pretty good conference.

Anyway this P-100 game has ugly graphics but other than that it looks fun. Why wasn't it shown at the conference?

Because Nintendo's modern philosophy seems to be: "Why show unique, interesting games when we can just show games that'll make a lot of money?"

DededeCloneChris

You all make it sound like it's the doomsday or something.

Stop whining and just enjoy the new system. From all the franchises they chose to continue, Pikmin was the one. Do you all HONESTLY think they'll revive all of them in one fell swoop? If it wasn't Pikmin, you'd be clamoring the darn series and continue the unnecessary hatedom.

Like always, be patient. Nintendo will always want our wallets, but they won't kill them off because we do have lives.

Tupin

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgndOkWGk1A

It's not everyday you get a port of a relatively new arcade game. Thought this was Batallion Wars and got excited, then realized the reel was for 3rd parties.

I don't think they're whining. If you want to hear whining, I'm betting GameFAQs and /v/ are absolute messes right now.

Quote from: SkyMyl
Tuppy frightens me with his knowledge of legacy technology.

Hero_of_Darkness

Quote from: Tupin on June 05, 2012, 02:22:10 PM
Come to think of it, Nintendo hasn't had an interesting conference since E3 2006.
Only if you pretend 2010 didn't exist.

Tupin

Quote from: Hero_of_Darkness on June 05, 2012, 04:04:25 PM
Only if you pretend 2010 didn't exist.
Oh yeah, that actually was pretty decent. My mistake, but E3s 2007-2009 were pretty bad.

Also, didn't expect them to pull out Murasame Castle as something to include in Nintendo Land. Guess they needed one more franchise and didn't want to get peoples hopes up by putting Mother in there.

Kayo

Quote from: Nayrman on June 05, 2012, 02:14:37 PM
Because the Wii at the time was actually trying something new. The promise it held may have gone completely unfulfilled, but at least initially it seemed like a totally different idea.

The WiiU is Nintendo desperately trying to play catch up in the tech department while adding some DS style functionality (Let's be honest here, that's the ONLY reason it has a touch screen), and people realize this. Meanwhile, the chance they had to sell it to people completely bombed. Seriously, unless you have a desperate need for Mario, there's no reason to pick this up instead of a PS3 this holiday season when the PS3 to be perfectly honest is going to have more functionality and features and a big library of games...
Yeah but that's arguably something new. Depends on how you look at it. The whole "console-game-without-necessarily-needing-a-TV" thing is new. Whether you like it or not, it's still arguably a new thing. It may not be as dynamic, but it's new enough where your first argument there doesn't really work.

Quote from: zephilicious on June 05, 2012, 02:16:00 PM
wii hype was almost entirely based on twilight princess
Not like you needed a Wii to play that anyway, you could have just waited a few weeks for the GCN version to come out, and played the game without having to buying a new console. Especially because the GCN version was better. But whatever.

Quote from: Tupin on June 05, 2012, 02:17:33 PM
Honestly, I'm surprised that Nintendo didn't even have a Pokemon game.

I still don't think anything can top E3 2008 in terms of being bad.

About Just Dance 4: why would anyone play this game on Wii U? The game only sees the hand that is holding the Wii Remote. Those kinds of games work so much better on Kinect.
I'm not surprised at all; Pokemon's at an awkward middle stage where the last of Gen V is dribbling out on the DS (which wouldn't show its face at E3) and Gen VI isn't quite close to starting yet. Next year's E3 might show us some Pokemon Gen VI.

Also, because the Wii's main thing nowadays is being family-oriented, and Just Dance is a recreational family-style game that anyone can pick up and play. It fits the Wii, and honestly, casual gamers don't mind holding a Wiimote in their hand if it means not having to buy another console. But yes, it does work so much better on Kinect.

Quote from: Trevelyan on June 05, 2012, 02:28:31 PM
Yeah, this is the worst Nintendo conference since 2008; I'm not gonna deny that. But this thread has turned from "omigosh the wiiu is manna from heaven" to "wii u has zero potential and nintendo should go third-party immediately" so fast it makes me wonder if your brains turned to mush after the first day of conferences (except Nayr, who hates everything already). Console launches have sucked for as long as I can remember, and even if Nintendo is spamming Mario like there's no tomorrow, I'm not jumping ship just because I didn't get a freaking Metroid/Star Fox crossover.
You're exactly right.

Quote from: DededeCloneChris on June 05, 2012, 03:27:49 PM
You all make it sound like it's the doomsday or something.

Stop whining and just enjoy the new system.
This too.

I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

Hero_of_Darkness

Round table going on now. The wording of something they said ("find friends online and become friends with them" in Miiverse) sounds like the death of friend codes.

Also, Nintendo Land has an F-Zero race track.

Qsmash

Well, the conference sucked and no one has the right to complain about the Wii U because SHUT UP IT'S TOO EARLY TO TELL.

also, round table link.
http://live.theverge.com/e3-2012-nintendo-wii-u-developer-discussion/

Tupin

Attractions that appear to be in Nintendo Land, based on the logos on NoA's official Twitter:
Zelda
Pikmin
Metroid
Mario
Luigi's Mansion
Animal Crossing
Something Deku related (?)
Donkey Kong
Murasame
F-Zero
Balloon Fight(?)

I wonder if this will be a pack-in.