News:

<+Ice> i have a dildo factory line run by old women in my garage

Main Menu

Wanna buy old games? GameStop wants you to, too.

Started by Neerb, August 30, 2012, 12:34:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neerb

Apparently, GameStop has taken interest in the large market for pre-PS2/Gamecube/Xbox games that exists on sites such as eBay, and they are now trying to come up with a way to sell these old games themselves on their website.

Not promising anything, and it's not as cool as seeing them in stores, and you probably are fine with ebay anyway, but having a "reliable" online store to get SNES and N64 stuff would be pretty cool. Plus, depending on how they handle it, I could imagine the games being cheaper (or at least more consistently priced) than the average selling price from non/small-company sellers on other sites.

Tupin

The retro market is already innudated with sellers who sit on their games for a long time because they refuse to lower prices. Gamestop has stiff competition in a market that they frantically wanted out of ten years ago. To this day, I still see people try to trade in old games to Gamestop, so maybe that's why?

If a copy of Super Mario World is $15, maybe it will be okay. But if a copy of Hydlide is $15 too, it's a bad system.

Quote from: SkyMyl
Tuppy frightens me with his knowledge of legacy technology.

RX-78-2

Wow. Someone talking about GameStop not in a negative way? That's nearly unheard of on the Internet. Good for you, OP.

I actually like GameStop too. I recognize their shortcomings and I'm not totally crazy about them, but the employees at the stores that I frequent are very cool. I even know the manager of one.

More on topic, it *would* be pretty cool to see really old games at GameStop. Of course, I could really only take advantage of the GameBoy, N64, and PS games, but again--still cool.
I dunno hao 2 put imgs heer :(

****************Mack was here******************

Tupin

Quote from: Z on August 31, 2012, 04:24:52 PM
Emulation

/thread
You fail to recognize the collector's market for these sort of things, as well as the preservation factors. If everyone simply emulates, there will be no physical representations of these games down the line.

Many people refuse to play a game on anything other than the original, and no emulation can ever be completely 100% accurate as on an original system.

I'm talking mostly of rarer games, there are enough Super Mario/Duck Hunt cartridges for everyone. I'd say they'd be stupid to charge more than $0.50 for one, but I wouldn't even take it if it were free.

The Riddler

This is a BAD thing. They will overcharge. They're looking to overtake Play N' Trade and other retro gaming chains, and therefore control the prices.

Zero

Quote from: Tupin on August 31, 2012, 04:54:50 PM
You fail to recognize the collector's market for these sort of things, as well as the preservation factors. If everyone simply emulates, there will be no physical representations of these games down the line.

Many people refuse to play a game on anything other than the original, and no emulation can ever be completely 100% accurate as on an original system.

I'm talking mostly of rarer games, there are enough Super Mario/Duck Hunt cartridges for everyone. I'd say they'd be stupid to charge more than $0.50 for one, but I wouldn't even take it if it were free.

Actually, I'm a collector. I do recognize this. Emulation in some cases is simply easier, cheaper, and downright better.

You're right that you can never emulate a game 100% accurately, however, certain games when emulated perform BETTER so that hardly matters at least a portion of the time. Examples include most Nintendo 64 games and SNES games that use the Super FX chip, and certain Wii/PS2 games. The main issue with emulation is that certain games just do not run well, yet others do. Other than that, more often than not, its the better way to go. I had to emulate my Gym Leader Castle run in Pokemon Stadium 2 because my physical copy would freeze halfway through. It isn't my only N64 game to do this.

I have Play N Trade and Amazon for my collector needs, and emulation when obtaining a game at  reasonable price isn't happening. Emulating Earthbound is really the only option for poorer collectors.

zephilicious

Quote from: Z on September 03, 2012, 11:25:30 AM
You're right that you can never emulate a game 100% accurately
and thats completely untrue
~~ <3

Tupin

Emulation is never better when it comes to accuracy, only easier. 

As for this Gamestop issue, what do they give you for a recently released, current generation game? Something ridiculous, right? I can imagine them going back to the days of Funcoland and EB Games, where they buy NES games for less than a dollar and sell them for $10.

The retro market is different than the modern one, you can easily look up what a game is worth. EarthBound really isn't worth $200 loose, and the ones priced at that never sell. I know they're probably trying to go for the kind of people who wouldn't know prices, ie the target audience who would shop at a Gamestop, but there's a problem: the kind of person who owns and collects for an older system knows what games are valuable and will avoid businesses that sell beyond market price.

I'm not paying $50 for a loose Super Mario Bros. 3. It's just not worth that much, they made millions of them.

zephilicious

Quote from: Tupin on September 03, 2012, 12:42:15 PM
Emulation is never better when it comes to accuracy, only easier. 

obviously you can't get better accuracy than the original. i only implied equal accuracy.
~~ <3

Zero

Quote from: zephilicious on September 03, 2012, 12:26:41 PM
and thats completely untrue

If you're being as technical as I assumed Tupin was being, then yeah, you can't.

zephilicious

Aside from physical interaction with the console itself, yes, yes you can.

Not for every console yet, but that was never a qualifier.
~~ <3

Zero

Tupin

Quote from: Z on September 03, 2012, 04:37:37 PM
this is what I thought he meant
Nah, though that is a big part of it.

Really, the best setup you can have for a console is a flash cartridge and the original system. All the ease of emulation with the accuracy of playing it on the real thing. Price is the only catch.