News:

ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL.

Main Menu

RetroN5 system

Started by Tupin, March 25, 2013, 01:26:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tupin

So usually these clone systems are pretty cheap and bad, but the RetroN5 looks pretty promising. Apparently it is a little emulation based, making it better than the inaccurate clones to come out before it. It has five cartridge slots. It supports the NES, SNES, Genesis, GBA, and Famicom. It has HDMI and upconverts video to 720p. It has two NES ports, two Genesis, and two SNES, in addition to a universal controller it comes with.

Here's what it looks like:

I'll have to see what others say about it when it comes out this summer, but hopefully this will be good. Haven't found any clone better than the RetroDuo, and that came out five years ago.

Quote from: SkyMyl
Tuppy frightens me with his knowledge of legacy technology.

zephilicious

but i can do all of this better with a pc hooked up to my tv
~~ <3

Tupin

Quote from: zephilicious on March 25, 2013, 02:06:14 PM
but i can do all of this better with a pc hooked up to my tv
Some people want to use their actual cartridges.

zephilicious

those people have actual consoles
~~ <3

Tupin

Its real goal is to give retro game stores a new stock of systems that they can sell to people who just want to play SMB3 on a console again.

Oh, and there are people who collect clone systems.

zephilicious

Quote from: Tupin on March 25, 2013, 02:52:29 PM
Its real goal is to give retro game stores a new stock of systems that they can sell to people who just want to play SMB3 on a console again.
no legitimate store sells poop like this they're just as illegal as emulators

and any people that would be satisfied by this would be just as satisfied by those emulators.
~~ <3

Tupin

These aren't illegal. They've been legal in the US since 2005 when Nintendo's copyright on the NES lapsed. I got mine at Play N Trade.

Emulators aren't illegal, either. ROMs from games you don't own are illegal yes, but emulators aren't. And ROMs of games you personally own are completely legal as well.

The kind of people who just up and decide "I want to play SMB3 again" aren't the kind that would set up emulators anyway.

zephilicious

Quote from: Tupin on March 25, 2013, 03:33:16 PM
These aren't illegal. They've been legal in the US since 2005 when Nintendo's copyright on the NES lapsed. I got mine at Play N Trade.
that may be true, though patent is the word you're looking for, and it certainly doesnt apply to every console this thing plays.

Emulators aren't illegal, either. ROMs from games you don't own are illegal yes, but emulators aren't. And ROMs of games you personally own are completely legal as well.
No and no. well i suppose the patent thing applies here, but emulating protected hardware/software is just as illegal as building it. and software purchases have never been universal. It doesn't matter if you own SMB3, you bought the right to play it on an NES, not the right to play it wherever you want.

The kind of people who just up and decide "I want to play SMB3 again" aren't the kind that would set up emulators anyway.
But they are the type to spend more time and money going out to some niche game store to buy something like this?
~~ <3

The Riddler

Quote from: zephilicious on March 25, 2013, 03:03:08 PM
no legitimate store sells poop like this they're just as illegal as emulators

and any people that would be satisfied by this would be just as satisfied by those emulators.
zeph confirmed for retarded

the patents and poop for these old consoles expired ages ago

go to any play n' trade and you can find things like the retro duo and the supaboy no problem.

Tupin

Nintendo lost a case in the 90s over this and the precedent now is that you can legally rip games/systems that you own for personal use. Been like that for over twenty years now.

Emulators are in fact legal. It's just pirated ROMs that aren't.

And yes, they would be likely to spend more time and money to go out to a niche store to buy this.

The Riddler

i always thought that if nintendo spent a little money to start reproducing retro carts, they'd make a buttload of money.

we have collectors that would kill to get their hands on some of these carts that don't care if they're not original runs, we have the entire retro-nostalgic crowd, and we have plenty of people who are buying these remade combination consoles.

they wouldnt have to make a continual release, but a one time event of releasing cartridges would sell out like intercourse ing crazy, especially if they did it with the more expensive games like earthbound

Tupin

I'd personally enjoy that but they'd have to put "REPRODUCTION" on it everywhere so it wouldn't be confused for original copies. Especially with games like Earthbound.

Sadly, many of the parts used to make SNES cartridges are out of production. We've gone past the point where it would be cheap to make a lot of cartridges since there's lots of unused parts laying around. We're now at the point where the parts needed to make these cartridges aren't being made anymore.

It makes more sense for them to release games digitally. It sucks, but I don't think they'd ever remake the carts.

zephilicious

Quote from: The Riddler on March 25, 2013, 04:29:15 PM
zeph confirmed for retarded

the patents and poop for these old consoles expired ages ago

go to any play n' trade and you can find things like the retro duo and the supaboy no problem.
sorry i dont follow patent law and the entire stock of one used game chain

but no the nes is the only one of those consoles that is out of patent.

Quote from: Tupin on March 25, 2013, 04:34:24 PM
Nintendo lost a case in the 90s over this and the precedent now is that you can legally rip games/systems that you own for personal use. Been like that for over twenty years now.
this changed with the DMCA, any copyright precedent prior to that is irrelevant.

of course nobody's going to do anything about any of this, it would cost them more to fight it than they'd lose in sales.
~~ <3

The Riddler

FC Twin System
Retro Duo and all updates
Retron and all updates
Hyperkin Supaboy

this stuff has been on actual store shelves for a while.

Tupin

The NES, SNES, Famicom and Genesis are all out of patent.

DMCA allows you to rip games you own, but forbids you from circumventing any sort of copy protection scheme.

In any case, none of the companies care as long as their games aren't included. Sega even licenses their games to be in some Genesis clones.