News:

<+Clu> have you tried barbecuing the computer

Main Menu

Official 3DS Discussion Thread

Started by Thirdkoopa, January 06, 2010, 08:50:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rosti LFC

Out of interest, how many of you guys have actually watched anything on screens that give 3D images without glasses?

I have no clue how the 3DS is going to work in a way that isn't a complete pain in the ass to keep the image or gives headaches after an hour or so of playing. I can't see this gimmick being as good as people are going to expect it to be, because no-glasses 3D is pretty poor.

Nayrman

Well, to be perfectly honest, even the bet "3D" we have isn't even 3D, so it's basically already proven to be a gimmick regardless of what's going on.
Also, I doubt the 3D aspect is going to be the system seller. It can't be that big considering it's a portable system, and meant to be taken outside, etc.

As far as the without glasses goes, I think it's going to be 3D more of a perspective inside the game (what was that Japan only game that did that with the DSi camera?).

Neerb

Quote from: Nayrman on June 14, 2010, 11:58:08 AM
Well, to be perfectly honest, even the bet "3D" we have isn't even 3D, so it's basically already proven to be a gimmick regardless of what's going on.
Also, I doubt the 3D aspect is going to be the system seller. It can't be that big considering it's a portable system, and meant to be taken outside, etc.

As far as the without glasses goes, I think it's going to be 3D more of a perspective inside the game (what was that Japan only game that did that with the DSi camera?).

:D Good one!

Seriously though, I think you're right on the second part: 3D will probably be more about depth than pop-ups. Of course, I personally prefer that anyway; movies have proven to me that depth makes stuff look more realistic and interesting, while pop-ups are generally more difficult to pull off and are generally just cheesiness anyway.

SkyMyl

Now that we've seen the 3DS and games have been announced, what's everyone's opinion? Because when the E3 board is retired...yeah.

Personally, it's shaping up to be more badass than the DS from Day 1. Namely in the lineup of available games it's going to have. Ocarina of Time and Star Fox 3D, Paper Mario, Mario Kart, METAL GEAR SOLID 3, Super Street Fighter IV, just to name a few.

Nayrman

I'm VERY impressed with the 3DS so far.
Technology seems good and solid (unlike the DS which to be honest just wasn't there with the 3D models, and a barely functioning internet).
Game wise it also seems much better from the get go. While only a few full games have been confirmed, developer interest seems sky high.

The 3D effect has a slider, THANK GOD. Some of us don't like 3D, and despite what Mewtwo thinks, a handheld system is meant to be taken on the go, so if you're sensitive to that stuff you can turn it off.

FruitFlow

Will the 3DS have GBA compatibility?
I haven't had the chance to check it out, but if it does then that would be reason enough for me to get one.

Although I still may hold on to my original DS.
"Many people see technology as the problem behind the so-called digital divide. Others see it as the solution. Technology is neither. It must operate in conjunction with business, economic, political and social system."

Mystic

I highly doubt 3DS will play GBA games. Nintendo has only mentioned DS games. And the DSi didn't even play GBA, I don't expect 3DS to.

DededeCloneChris

Quote from: Mystic on June 20, 2010, 12:42:20 PM
I highly doubt 3DS will play GBA games. Nintendo has only mentioned DS games. And the DSi didn't even play GBA, I don't expect 3DS to.
This is true. The 3DS only has backward compatibility with DS games.

Tupin

Hopefully the 3DS has some sort of Virtual Console style setup for Gameboy/GBA games. Also, a Virtual Boy compilation pack would be a great idea, since it uses basically the same technology. The difference is that the 3DS is in color and much more clear. That's what fifteen years of development will do.

Quote from: SkyMyl
Tuppy frightens me with his knowledge of legacy technology.

SkyMyl

Quote from: Tupin on June 20, 2010, 01:05:18 PM
Hopefully the 3DS has some sort of Virtual Console style setup for Gameboy/GBA games. Also, a Virtual Boy compilation pack would be a great idea, since it uses basically the same technology. The difference is that the 3DS is in color and much more clear. That's what fifteen years of development will do.
Imagine Wario Land for the 3DS.

...my God.

Thirdkoopa

Annnnnnnnnnnd we're back

discuss all the new stuff.
[21:11] <mackormoses> let's take a look at today's stats
[21:11] <Rosencrantz> stats today are high
[21:11] <mackormoses> holy intercourse ing poop
[21:11] <Rosencrantz> you adding all these standards
[21:11] <Rosencrantz> is really pushing us [/quote]
Quote from: JrDude φ on May 31, 2010, 08:32:13 PM
3 of my friends smoke weed. Why? Well I asked one time, and this is what they said: "Because I can blow out smoke and it makes me feel like a intercourse ing dragon"

The Riddler

I dunno. The titles interest me but the whole 3D gimmick hasn't caught my interest in the slightest. I guess I'll need to see it to fall for it.

Homewrecker

Nintendo should use their magic NO GRASSES FREE DEE technology and start making 3D TVs.

Tupin

Hardware related news:

THQ says Nintendo is using "sophisticated technology" to block piracy:
http://www.gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=129789

3DS could have better graphics without 3D:
http://www.softsailor.com/news/32286-nintendo-3ds-would-have-better-performance-and-graphics-without-3d.html

Software related:

Animal Crossing 3DS lets you play as mayor:
http://www.gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=129887

My opinions:
Piracy prevention- People can and will get around the protection, no matter how it is implemented.
3DS without 3D- Obviously, without 3D, the games can look 50% better.
Animal Crossing 3DS- Well, this proves it's not Wild World Part III.

Quote from: SkyMyl
Tuppy frightens me with his knowledge of legacy technology.

Cornwad

A bunch of accessories for the 3DS are releasing on November 20th, so that's probably when it's coming out. That makes perfect sense, because we all knew it would be released in November anyway.