News:

<Clu> no nsfcd is basically a ghost town, it should be killed behind fences

Main Menu

Pok?mon of the Day #4 ~The Day After Independence

Started by Macawmoses, July 05, 2009, 02:47:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Macawmoses

Because this will be a big discussion, I decided to wait.

Our topic are the Stars of Pok?mon (see the patriotism?)...Staraptor and Starmie.

Staraptor/Starmie
BL/OU
Intimidate/Natural Cure

Both of these two Pok?mon are deadly for different reasons. Staraptor offers something truly lethal that other flyings don't...the ability to use Close Combat to absolutely level opponents, where the high attack STAB Brave Bird fails. Add in other fairly standard moves U-Turn, Agility, Quick Attack, etc as support, and you'll hit across the board...well.

Starmie, on the other hand, is not about the physical...but special. STAB Surf is an obvious choice, but so is its astounding access to thunderbolt, meaning predicting a water absorber can waste your foe. Rapid spin can clear obstacles, Ice Beam for dragons or ground, Recover for an obvious advantage, etc. Starmie is such a diverse special sweeper you can't help but love it. Plus, the Starmie in the anime remains one of my favorites <3

So?

JrDude

I like the idea of Staraptor, but it being one of the beginning Pok?mon is what drives me away, and I like my flyers to be Fly not normal, most types will do, but I also have to like them.
Starmie is pretty cool, though far from being a favorite. For some reason I thought it was Water/Ice when I was little, but nope. I like the gem in the middle, I always thought of it as being Starmie's heart or something. Wow, imagine how valuable a Staryu/Starmie gem thing would be worth...
[move][/move]
Dude .

Macawmoses

What drives you away from the beginners? Staraptor can do some serious damage regardless of in game placement.

As for Starmie..what an odd thought...

jnfs2014

Jr, Starapator IS flying. And no type is just flying, although they should make one.

Both Pokemon could be in OU, but Starapator, IMO, is UU for the most part.

Pascal

Starry is a great user for Choice Scarf. (Staraptor)
(Pursuit/Return)/Brave Bird/U-Turn/Close Combat
It can revenge kill or switch in with Intimidate, then U-Turn out to scout, or use an attack.

JrDude

Yes JNFS, I know, what I meant is I don't like the type combo Fly/Normal, I prefer Fly/ANYTHINGELSE (That looks cool).
And IDK Mack, I just don't like to choose most of the beginning Pok?mon, though I usually settle for 1 or 2 so I won't be empty, in that game, Shinx was the one I used (whom I actually really like). And in general, I don't really like the Normal type at all, it is rare for me to have a Normal type in my party.
[move][/move]
Dude .

jnfs2014

Flying with Normal only does one thing: Protects it against Ghost type moves. And even then, Dusknoir can beat it with Ice/Thunder Punch and Gengar with a Poison type attack.

Pascal

If Gengar somehow survives a Brave Bird, T-Bolt would be used.