News:

Change is coming. HOPE CHANGE UNITY

Main Menu

Evangelion 1.0 and 2.0 Bootleg

Started by Nayrman, September 22, 2009, 06:54:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nayrman

Hey-o anime fans. Local otaku Nayrman here with a ramble on Evangelion 1.0 and my "advance screening" (bootleg online, lol) of Evangelion 2.0. If you're not in the know, they're remaking Evangelion in a series of four movies, changing things as they go (mostly to be more coherent).

I managed to see a sneak preview of the english dub of Evangelion 1.0: Your are (not) Alone at Anime Weekend Atlanta, the first group to see the english dub of the film. Also, I'm going to see it again this weekend in theaters, woot woot.

The first movie was VERY good, although I'm beginning to think this is the closest to the original series, as many of the scenes are pretty much the same, but put into a more cliffnotes version. However, this means the characterizations are a bit more straightforward, which is good as an introduction. The dubbing was very good, although you could tell everyone besides Shinji and Rei were different. However, despite technically being shorter than the original series to that point (it goes to the fifth angel, but more on that later), it doesn't lose any depth or thoughtfulness. I can't wait to see this again to see if there was anything I missed.

The production values finally match the scope of a project like Evangelion. The animation is silky smooth and everything looks great, especially the CG. Yes, the movies employ CG to enhance the quality of the bigger stuff like the EVA's and the angels, and they look terrific. The fifth angel in particular gets a MASSIVE upgrade compared to his television counterpart. It's quite stunning how much better the show looks when it actually has a budget (something that plagued the original show).

If you've seen the show, the movie won't wow you much in the way of plot, as it's very similar to the show in terms of what actually happens. Pre-knowing what happens though, I was still blown away. It's the first time in a LONG time that I've just thoroughly enjoyed a film from start to finish, and had my expectations exceeded. If anyone doubts why Eva is so popular, check this movie out if it's showing near you, or pick up the DVD whenever it comes out (I think FUNi said November).

As I said in the intro, I just finished watching the bootleg version of Evangelion 2.0: You Can (Not) Advance. I won't spoil it too much, but it's vastly different from the show in many respects. Many for the good, some for the not so good. Although despite shaky camera nonsense, I could tell this movie looked great. But, I will say this: The unthinkable has officially happened and we're all going to die soon... [spoiler]SHINJI HAS A CROWNING MOMENT OF TOTAL BADASS           oh, and that bastard Kaoru shows up... the cur...[/spoiler]

This is why I love anime and this is why I want to make it myself in the future.

Light

Awesome review; now I'm psyched for it!

* Big Brother goes to the site to see if it's playing near him.

...;___;
Holy crap all my sigs were always poop. Best leave this space alone.

Nayrman

Quote from: Big Brother on September 24, 2009, 12:10:32 AM
Awesome review; now I'm psyched for it!

* Big Brother goes to the site to see if it's playing near him.

...;___;

There's barely any places showing it. But a place near me is, and I'm totally going to see it again, on the REALLY big screen. Sure the viewing at AWA was nice, but it'd be awesome on an actual movie screen.

Magnum

Take a camera in with you or something. Or your phone, like when you did the "Interview" with Vic.

I wanna see the differences and I can't find it playing ANYWHERE near me except in Denver, which is a 2 hour drive. Please?

Oh Vesperia, never change... never change

Nayrman

Quote from: Magnum on September 24, 2009, 05:00:55 PM
Take a camera in with you or something. Or your phone, like when you did the "Interview" with Vic.

I wanna see the differences and I can't find it playing ANYWHERE near me except in Denver, which is a 2 hour drive. Please?
I was actually just talking with Vic.

Dude, my phone would run out of space about twenty minutes in.
Also, the first movie has very little differences with the show, since it's setting it up.

Magnum

Quote from: Nayrman on September 24, 2009, 05:31:59 PM
I was actually just talking with Vic.

Dude, my phone would run out of space about twenty minutes in.
Also, the first movie has very little differences with the show, since it's setting it up.
I know, I watched you video. That Aeris actually kinda looked like Aeris for once.

How far did the movie go into the series then? What part did it stop at?

Oh Vesperia, never change... never change