News:

UH SOMETHING BROKE HANG ON

Main Menu

The Official B&W/5th gen Discussion Thread - GAMES OUT EVERYWHERE

Started by Kayo, May 13, 2010, 05:05:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

So, which version did you get? (Or are getting)

Pokémon Black
6 (35.3%)
Pokémon White
5 (29.4%)
Pokémon Black AND Pokémon White
4 (23.5%)
Neither, and don't plan to.
0 (0%)
Haven't decided yet.
2 (11.8%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Cornwad

Yeah, I have black. That electric cave was terrible though. The caves seem extra annoying this time around.

Doctor trainers are pretty awesome, but then again just about all doctors are awesome.

bluaki

Uh, the Global Terminal (rightmost) lady in Pokemon Centers has "Random Match" as the first option. I don't feel like I've seen this mentioned elsewhere, but isn't this new and not in previous DS games? And isn't it something kinda significant?
Her other options are Musical Shot (or Short?) and Battle Video. The other girls, for Union Room and FC Wi-Fi, have no extra options. The three of them are in every Pokemon center.

Also, Basurao (the fish with two different patterns) has a ridiculously low capture rate. It's 25, which is equal to Snorlax, Steelix, Mantine, Mantyke, Skarmory, Relicanth, and the never-wild Clefable and Scizor. The only Pokemon with a lower rate are the rate-3 legendaries (but many legendaries have a much higher rate). Took me 10 Ultra Balls each to catch two (for forms).

JrDude

People complained about the box thing in the past, but it isn't a problem. Serebii got info on it. Put a single Pokémon in each box and it will give you 8 more boxes, put a single Pokémon in each of those and it will give you 8 more, put in a single Pokémon in each of those and you now have 28 Pokémon in the PC and 28 boxes with a single Pokémon in them, then that's it. So there it plenty of room.
[move][/move]
Dude .

Cornwad

Yeah, the new random match is pretty awesome. That's what made me decide to import the game in the first place.

bluaki

Quote from: JrDude 益 on October 02, 2010, 08:59:36 PM
People complained about the box thing in the past, but it isn't a problem. Serebii got info on it.
His page detailing "all the features" of the B/W box system has no mention of interface changes. Only maximum size, battle box system, and the same exact customization we've had since GBA games.
Quote from: JrDude 益 on October 02, 2010, 08:59:36 PM
So there it plenty of room.
Eh, I'd like a little more than 720 max. I like to have one of every Pokemon, now 650, then several boxes for extra stuff like battlers, breeding/eggs, additional forms, etc. At least this is better than Gen4, where I wouldn't even have two boxes leftover after filling one of every Pokemon (instead, I split the ownership of all Pokemon between HG holding 1-251 and Platinum holding 252-493).

Rayquarian

Quote from: bluaki on October 02, 2010, 04:12:53 PM
Uh, the Global Terminal (rightmost) lady in Pokemon Centers has "Random Match" as the first option. I don't feel like I've seen this mentioned elsewhere, but isn't this new and not in previous DS games? And isn't it something kinda significant?
Very.  That was one of my main complaints with D/P/Pl.  You had this online system that could host random battles (like in PBR) but didn't just because it wasn't implemented.  They added a bunch of wi-fi games to Platinum, but somehow forgot about random battles.

JrDude

Bluaki, you have far too much time on your hands if you end up getting one of every Pokémon, even if it was done on Gen 1. I often try (and easily give up) on getting every Pokémon in the Pokédex, but I just catch the lowest form and evolve it, but 1 of every single Pokémon is just... why even do that?
[move][/move]
Dude .

bluaki

Route 9 houses the Department store. It's between the bridge and the city housing the 8th gym. I like how, in its design, it's mostly all one giant area instead of having like 6 floors and elevator. One of the counters sells every single Pokeball (Gen5 adds no new Pokeballs. With Dive and Luxury unavailable, it's essentially the same set Platinum had.)
Oh, and this Department Store's Japanese name is... Colorful & Wonderful Life Shopping Mall R9. I guess R9 means Route 9.

Pokemon Global Link is back up as of tonight, but the Dream World section is still down, which is really the only worthwhile part of it.

Quote from: JrDude 益 on October 03, 2010, 03:00:38 AM
Bluaki, you have far too much time on your hands if you end up getting one of every Pokémon, even if it was done on Gen 1. I often try (and easily give up) on getting every Pokémon in the Pokédex, but I just catch the lowest form and evolve it, but 1 of every single Pokémon is just... why even do that?
In Gen 1, I caught a lot but I don't think I had everything, especially considering that breeding didn't exist.
I don't think I caught very much of Gen 2. All those Johto Pokemon were rare and I never used a guide.
In Gen 3, I legitimately caught 383 of the Pokemon and had them arranged, numerically, in Pokemon Box. One of each, including prevos. I at some point also obtained Mew, Celebi, and Deoxys from some cheater just to have everything. I think I had all this completed even before Emerald was released. Gen 3 has taught me to hate Ho-oh.
In Gen 4, I haven't yet finished, but am somewhat close to owning one of every Pokemon. 1-386 on HG and 387-493 on Platinum. I also worked a little on Platinum towards having extra babies of each evolution family, for transferring to Gen 5.
In Gen 5, I've already obtained 70 before even getting the last badge. I have about 20 in my boxes right now that could evolve further with just a little grinding. I might even do the dex in two languages.

It really doesn't take all that long. Grinding against E4 to level Pokemon high enough for evolution is the most timetaking part, breeding second, but those can easily be multitasked when I'm doing other things. Ever read Pokemon Special? I noticed when reading it that Crystal/Kris acts similarly to how I play. CATCH EVERYTHING THAT BREATHES.

Cornwad

The E4 seems a lot harder this time around, but maybe it's just because I have nothing strong against those types. I like that you can fight them in whatever order you want.

JrDude

I learned this a long time ago, but I will complain now.
REALLY?!
Gengar family doesn't learn any new abilities in dream world? Gengar (Who is ON THE GROUND) doesn't finally get a new ability that makes sense?
[move][/move]
Dude .

Cornwad

I don't know why you would want a Gengar without levitate, but whatever.

The E4 is all fancy this time around which makes them seem a lot more intimidating. I like it. Also, Team Plasma's battle music is really cool.

Wooo, just beat all of N's pokemon, including Zekrom, with Derpfish.

Zero

You realize Gengar can fly right? lol besides levitate helps him avoid one of his weaknesses, so I'm not complaining.

Cornwad

I've been fiddling around with the Global Link. I've made an account but I have no idea how to do anything else. If you can find out how to get to the dream world bluaki, please tell me.

The Riddler

Quote from: JrDude 益 on October 04, 2010, 04:58:00 PM
I learned this a long time ago, but I will complain now.
REALLY?!
Gengar family doesn't learn any new abilities in dream world? Gengar (Who is ON THE GROUND) doesn't finally get a new ability that makes sense?
You interpret sprites entirely too literally.
You know how many birds are ON THE GROUND?

He's a ghost. He levitates when he wants to.

JrDude

Also, they are the original Ghosts, only ghosts of Gen 1, sounds like a good reason to give them some cool new ability (IMO)
[move][/move]
Dude .