News:

<Clu> no nsfcd is basically a ghost town, it should be killed behind fences

Main Menu

The Official B&W/5th gen Discussion Thread - GAMES OUT EVERYWHERE

Started by Kayo, May 13, 2010, 05:05:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

So, which version did you get? (Or are getting)

Pokémon Black
6 (35.3%)
Pokémon White
5 (29.4%)
Pokémon Black AND Pokémon White
4 (23.5%)
Neither, and don't plan to.
0 (0%)
Haven't decided yet.
2 (11.8%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Cornwad

The flying dinosaur bird isn't exactly strong thanks to weak kneed, and it doesn't look all that tough either so I don't know where you got that from. Everything else makes sense, but you forgot Farfetch'd.

Neerb

Archeos has a decent move pool, 140 Attack, 112 Special Attack, and 110 Speed. Sure, the ability sucks, but it's still overpowered compared to the vast majority of old gen pokemon.

Cornwad

Yeah, but Slaking and Regigigas have really good stats too. There are a lot of better examples, like that Destoroyah guy.

Kayo

Quote from: Cornwad on October 22, 2010, 03:47:05 AM
Yeah, but Slaking and Regigigas have really good stats too. There are a lot of better examples, like that Destoroyah guy.
Slaking can only attack every other turn. Regigigas's attack AND speed are halved even when it's at full HP.

Archeos has plenty speed and attack to kill off a few things before its HP drops below 50%. And even then, only its Attack is lowered. It still has Special Attack. And 112 Special Attack is still pretty good. Sure it doesn't have a huge special movepool, but it has Earth Power and Dragon Pulse, which are pretty good. Especially because together they're only resisted by Skarmory and Levitate Bronzong. And a few things from Gen V like Nattorei. But still.

It's not like Archeos loses Speed below 50% HP. It can still use Taunt, Sandstorm, etc. ..Hey, it even gets Endeavor and Quick Attack. So point is, even though it IS a negative ability, it's not as bad as Truant or Slow Start, and Archeos will still sit in OU or BL in the fifth generation of battling.
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

Cornwad

It also has terrible defensive stats and pretty bad typing. It's not bad by any means, but you better kill your opponent in one hit.

Kayo

Quote from: Cornwad on October 22, 2010, 12:49:12 PM
It also has terrible defensive stats and pretty bad typing. It's not bad by any means, but you better kill your opponent in one hit.
So does Aerodactyl. They both have the same typing, and the same Defense stat. (Aerodactyl has 10 higher base Sp.Def)

But look at competitive battling. Aerodactyl does just fine, due to Taunt and Stealth Rock. The latter was removed from the TMlist in Gen V, so now neither Pokémon have access to it, but they both have Taunt. And Archeos has better offensive stats. Especially that Sp. Atk stat, which allows it to effectively use any type of move because of Hidden Power, and Aerodactyl couldn't pull that off.

So if Aerodactyl held its top-tier position, Archeos will have no problem in competitive battling either.
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

Cornwad

Aerodactyl still has Stealth Rock, and all of it's old stuff that made it so good. You can also just give it a focus sash, something that wouldn't work on Archeos because of its ability.

Kayo

Quote from: Cornwad on October 22, 2010, 01:42:49 PM
Aerodactyl still has Stealth Rock, and all of it's old stuff that made it so good. You can also just give it a focus sash, something that wouldn't work on Archeos because of its ability.
Why wouldn't it? Weak Kneed (Or Timid, as it could possibly be translated) only lowers Attack after its HP gets low. A Focus Sash would still work. Unless you mean Archeos just can't do much at 1 HP. Well, it COULD Endeavor/Quick Attack, but that's hard on a faster Pokémon (Archeos used Endeavor, foe attacked, Archeos fainted) because you can't attack twice in a row.

Archeos can still do things at low HP. You could even use Rest+Lum Berry if you want to, if you fear attacks but don't predict being OHKOed. It can throw up a last-resort Toxic, Swagger, Hyper Beam, etc. ..but your Attack stat is only halved. It's not like it's cut altogether. Archeos reaches a maximum Attack stat of 416 with a boosting nature, or 379 without. That's quite a bit of power there. You can still pick off weakened pokemon when your attack stat is reduced. Anything you could OHKO before, you can still KO if they have less than half HP. This means, well, their Gyarados that has switched in twice to Stealth Rock can be OHKOed by a weakened Archeos's Stone Edge before it can attack.

Or you can U-turn out, quickly throwing in a more defensive Pokémon. Then you can, perhaps use Wish, Healing Wish, or Lunar Dance to regenerate Archeos and let it sweep again. Just because Archeos is physically weakened below 50% health doesn't make it bad. It loses 25% of its health by switching into Stealth Rock, but is immune to Spikes and Toxic Spikes. This means, if you make sure its HP stat is an odd number, you can switch into Stealth Rock Twice and still be completely powered. You can even use Leftovers to keep its HP higher longer.

Final note. 575 base Stat Total. That is the second highest BST of all Non-legendary/pseudo-legendary Pokémon, behind only Slaking. And remember, Slaking can only attack every other turn. Archeos can attack Every turn.
So Archeos is more powerful than any other regular Pokémon. So, like Slaking, it has to have a hindering ability (according to GameFreak's apparent viewpoint), but its BST is less, so the ability isn't as bad. Somehow that apparently justifies it. One more thing: the stats are perfectly placed for a Mixed Sweeper. Which is probably what Archeos will be. If only it could have gotten more special attacks, maybe Fire Blast and Flamethrower like Aerodactyl has (I think). But oh well. I'm done ranting.
[move][/move]

bluaki

I have now practically completed the Isshu dex. Except for Zekrom, Voltolos, and future events (Kerudio, Meloetta, and Genosect), I own one copy of each GenV pokemon in my PC. Both evolved and not.

From now to the English releases, I'll be obtaining more of the old Pokemon. By the time you all are playing, I probably can easily offer any breedable Pokemon, with any of the TM moves I have (which will exclude only the Subway TMs). This includes the version exclusives, rarish wilds like Freezio and Emonga, all starters, fossils, and Zorua.

If any of you have heard that Tabunne is rare, that's completely wrong. Though the shaking grass itself is somewhat rare, Tabunne is so common in the shaking grass that it's annoying. In pretty much any place ever that can have shaking grass, she's the most common thing in it, while there's often other rarer and more useful things. You're not going to play through the story without seeing shaking grass at least once in at least half of the grass routes you walk through. Same thing applies for the "rare" coloration of Basurao in the water spots.

Kayo

Tabunne is the Bidoof of Isshu. You hit that shaking grass and think "HEY MAYBE IT'S A RARE POKEMON" and they you get that weird pink fat bunnyoid thing. However, it's very useful for the large amount of EXP they give you :D
[move][/move]

DededeCloneChris

Quote from: Kianglo on October 24, 2010, 06:25:22 PM
Tabunne is the Bidoof of Isshu. You hit that shaking grass and think "HEY MAYBE IT'S A RARE POKEMON" and they you get that weird pink fat bunnyoid thing. However, it's very useful for the large amount of EXP they give you :D
You didn't know? It's the new Chansey in Isshu standards.

bluaki

Quote from: AuraChannelerChris on October 24, 2010, 06:44:11 PM
Except that Chansey was actually rare.

The Riddler

Oh god, I nostalgia'd hard.

HOLY SHIT I FOUND A CHANSEY IN THE SAFARI ZONE.
THROW SOME FOOD!
CHANSEY FLED!
FUCK MY LIFE.

Then when you by chance find one outside of Fuscia...
OH HOLY FUCKING COCKS IT'S CHANSEY
CRITICAL HIT!
CHANSEY FAINTED!
FUCK MY LIFE.

JrDude

Quote from: It's ROBBIE! on October 24, 2010, 07:14:09 PM

THROW SOME FOOD!
CHANSEY FLED!
FUCK MY LIFE.

CRITICAL HIT!
CHANSEY FAINTED!
FUCK MY LIFE.
I know the first one happened to me, but I feel like the second also happened to me, how humorous.
[move][/move]
Dude .

Kayo

Quote from: AuraChannelerChris on October 24, 2010, 06:44:11 PM
Yeah I knew that. Hence the Pokémon Centers now having Tabunne in the anime, etc. Just like how Dangoro = Geodude, Dokkora = Machop, etc.

Quote from: It's ROBBIE! on October 24, 2010, 07:14:09 PM

THROW SOME FOOD!
CHANSEY FLED!
FUCK MY LIFE.

CRITICAL HIT!
CHANSEY FAINTED!
FUCK MY LIFE.
OH MY GOD. Those 1% chances RRRRRGH. That darn thing is WAY harder to find in Kanto than it should ever be. But wait! There's more! Fucking Tauros. They're 1% too, but only in ONE AREA of the safari zone. (In that area you also have a 4% chance of finding Chansey, like it makes a difference)
Oh my god. To this day I have caught ONE Tauros in that safari zone. It's more common in HGSS but useless now compared to better Pokémon.

But yeah. 1% wild pokemon chances should have never existed.

That's also why, if you find that Chansey by Fuschia, do not attack it. DO NOT. Put it to sleep or whatever, but don't touch it unless you have False Swipe, or Night Shade/Seismic Toss.
[move][/move]