News:

Our thoughts go to Silver and his family in this difficult time.

Main Menu

The Official B&W/5th gen Discussion Thread - GAMES OUT EVERYWHERE

Started by Kayo, May 13, 2010, 05:05:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

So, which version did you get? (Or are getting)

Pokémon Black
6 (35.3%)
Pokémon White
5 (29.4%)
Pokémon Black AND Pokémon White
4 (23.5%)
Neither, and don't plan to.
0 (0%)
Haven't decided yet.
2 (11.8%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Rayquarian

Quote from: Kianglo on October 25, 2010, 12:32:54 PM
Yeah I knew that. Hence the Pokémon Centers now having Tabunne in the anime, etc. Just like how Dangoro = Geodude, Dokkora = Machop, etc.
OH MY GOD. Those 1% chances RRRRRGH. That darn thing is WAY harder to find in Kanto than it should ever be. But wait! There's more! Fucking Tauros. They're 1% too, but only in ONE AREA of the safari zone. (In that area you also have a 4% chance of finding Chansey, like it makes a difference)
Oh my god. To this day I have caught ONE Tauros in that safari zone. It's more common in HGSS but useless now compared to better Pokémon.

But yeah. 1% wild pokemon chances should have never existed.

That's also why, if you find that Chansey by Fuschia, do not attack it. DO NOT. Put it to sleep or whatever, but don't touch it unless you have False Swipe, or Night Shade/Seismic Toss.
Or you can use an attack with a special type and watch Chansey absorb it like a sponge.

Kayo

Quote from: Rayquarian on October 25, 2010, 09:01:28 PM
Or you can use an attack with a special type and watch Chansey absorb it like a sponge.
Still be careful. Remember you can get a critical hit at any time, so don't attack when it's low enough that a crit will kill it.
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

bluaki

The games have many daily events worth going back to every day; serebii lists them here: http://www.serebii.net/blackwhite/dailyevent.shtml

Swarms and the trainers (Raimon City sports stadiums, villa, Morimoto, Cynthia) are the most useful of them. The item gifts are also rather nice.

A very significant one Serebii doesn't list is Dream World itself. You may only send one DW Pokemon to your game each day and may spend only up to one consecutive hour on DW's site during a single day. Essentially, to send a Pokemon you befriended to High Link, you must go to the tree at the end of the path, give a berry as an offering, then select only one of the Pokemon you won while playing in DW. The others will disappear next time you go to Dream World after that, but if you don't offer a berry, all existing Pokemon will stay any number of days until you do. Also, after you send a Pokemon from the tree, you are kicked out of the dream isle for the rest of the day.

JrDude

Makes dream world not seem so cool when put that way.
[move][/move]
Dude .

bluaki

Quote from: JrDude 益 on October 28, 2010, 09:28:58 PM
Makes dream world not seem so cool when put that way.
Another detail Serebii mentions about DW makes it sound even worse:
http://www.serebii.net/blackwhite/dreamworld.shtml
QuoteFinally, you get the noticeboard in the background. This noticeboard will display both the Pokémon you have waiting to send to the High Link, which can be up to 10 Pokémon, and the Pokémon you have previously sent, allowing for up to 50. Once you have reached 50 Pokémon in the second board, you are no longer able to send any further Pokémon.

If you use DW every day for a month and a half, you'll apparently be forever unable to send any further Pokemon afterwards. Serebii currently lists just about 50 obtainable Pokemon in Dream World here, but I think the list appears to be incomplete.

So, to describe DW gameplay in a list:[spoiler]

• Each day, before connecting to DW, you must use Game Sync to deposit a Pokemon.
  • On each day that you connect to DW, you can only stay online until an hour later at latest.
  • During that hour, you may water berries, decorate your house (buying furniture with berries), go to a friend's house, or, most importantly, go to dream isle.
  • At a friend's house, you may: see their furniture, water their berries for them, view their deposited Pokemon's summary, and trade items in a way (a shelf near your home can store 9 items, which visitors can see and exchange for their own items). Friends are defined as people in your game's Pal Pad who you have connected at least once with.
  • In Dream Isle, the navigation splits the area into room-like decorated scenes (similar to PW) that you can navigate between with arrows.
  • In each of these areas, you may see either: nothing of interest, a sparkle that gives an item upon examination (usually berry, sometimes a hold item or something), a shaking bush/tree that produces a Pokemon upon examination, or a Pokemon that interacts with you as soon as you enter the area.
  • When you encounter a Pokemon, you only know its species. Other details are available after you "win" it...
  • The Pokemon triggers a minigame, which you are allowed to refuse if you don't want it. Depending on how well you do in the game, you may either lose the Pokemon, get a Pokemon with no special moves (but still having a DW ability), or get one with a rare move. Its moveset and gender and stuff are shown to you after you win the minigame.
  • The selection of minigames is small and repetitive, with only four of them that each last about 90-120 seconds. They're really not too fun, particularly the "Look for the Lost" game which is pretty much luck-based on whether you happen to enter the right areas within the time limit.
  • After you travel through 10 areas of the Dream Isle, you reach some tree. Outside the tree, you see bubbles that show some details of random trainers' Pokemon. Clicking the inside of the tree, you're asked if you want to give a berry for a befriended Pokemon...
  • Upon selecting a berry to give, you're allowed to choose one recently befriended Pokemon to send to High Link. When you do this, all other Pokemon you recently befriended will be cleared from this list and you are ejected from Dream Isle. You cannot reenter Dream Isle until the next day.
  • You must do a Game Sync after you are done with DW for the day. Even if you want to use the same Pokemon the next day, you must withdraw and redeposit it into DW. Game Sync also sends your befriended Pokemon to High Link, but you don't have to go there to catch them right away and are allowed to wait several days (until 10 Pokemon are waiting to be caught, then you can't send more)
  • A really slow point system is required for various aspects of DW, like unlocking new Dream Isle areas and having more tiles to plant berries in. They are rewarded as follows.
    Quote from: Serebii's DW page
    1 PointTrade items with your friend
    10 PointsWater your friend's Berries
    10 PointsHarvest Berries
    10-30 PointsComplete mini-games in the Dream Isle (I'm guessing it's based on degree of win: 10 for fail, 20 for pass (get pokemon), and 30 for excellent (special move)
    50 PointsSend Pokémon found in the Dream World to your main game
  • The known rewards for having enough Dream Points are:
    Quote from: Scattered info in Serebii
    0 PointsDefaults: Two berry rows (6 trees) and one Dream Isle area (Small forest)
    1800 PointsThird row of berry soil (9 tree max)
    5000 PointsNew Dream Isle area: Open Sky.
    ??? PointsNew Dream Isle area: Shining Ocean
    ??? PointsFourth row of berry soil (12 trees)
    ??? PointsFurther berry rows and Dream Isle areas may exist.
[/spoiler]

Kayo

Wait. You can only get 50 dream world pokemon.. EVER? That. Sucks. A lot.

And I really didn't want to have to connect my DS to a computer to plant berries. I'm starting to dislike the Dream World. Seriously.
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

Kayo

UPDATE: English names. I got some. I'll just list them all in case you missed 'em.

Zorua stays the same
Zoroark stays the same
Tstuarja -> Snivy
Pokabu -> Tepig
Mijumaru -> Oshawott
Yanappu (grass monkey) -> Pansage
Baoppu (fire monkey) -> Pansear
Hiyappu (water monkey) -> Panpour
Chillarmy -> Minccino
Gigaiath - > Gigalith
Meguroko -> Sandile (I CALLED THIS ONE)
Shimama (electric zebra) -> Blitzle
Mamepato (generic bird) -> Pidove
Gear -> Klink
Hihidaruma -> Darmanitan
Munna stays the same.

Abilities and attacks also have some revealed english names:

Encourage -> Sheer Force
Overconfidence -> Moxie
Pigeon Heart -> Big Pecks (I c wut they did thar)
Sweep Slap -> Tail Slap
Wild Bolt -> Wild Charge
Telekinesis stays the same (but we already have Kinesis >_>)

In addition, the professor is Professor Juniper and the big city is called Castelia City.
[move][/move]

DededeCloneChris

Quote from: Kayo on December 28, 2010, 01:35:34 PM
In addition, the professor is Professor Juniper and the big city is called Castelia City.
She can see the unseen.

Rayquarian

The first thing I did was google "Juniper Tree"

Neerb

DededeCloneChris

Quote from: Neerb on December 29, 2010, 10:07:36 AM
Wow, I didn't think anyone watched that show.
It was a worthy cartoon over Mexico. I didn't grow up with the USA version.

Neerb

http://ds.ign.com/articles/114/1143911p1.html

More english names, and for the most part they aren't too bad.

My favorites are the red white and blue eagle, which is named Braviary, and the pillar of goth, with is named Gothitelle.

Kayo

Quote from: Sora on January 13, 2011, 06:02:15 PM
http://ds.ign.com/articles/114/1143911p1.html

More english names, and for the most part they aren't too bad.

My favorites are the red white and blue eagle, which is named Braviary, and the pillar of goth, with is named Gothitelle.
I don't like them. Allow me to complain.

Braviary - Better than Wargle (still sounds like a bug) but I'm having a hard time pronouncing it without makind it sound weird.
Patrat - Eh, I could care less about Ragemunk's name.
Gothitelle - Ouch, that T. I was hoping Gothiselle, with an S. (FYI, it's romanized japanese name was Gothiruselle, and removing the "ru" would leave you with Gothiselle.) I actually liked that name, but the T ruins it for me.
Reuniclus - I'll get used to it. How is it pronounced? Rew-ni-kluss, just like I think? Hope so. Also, predicting Yuniran/Uniran and Daburan/Doublon keep their names.
Cofagrigus - I don't really like it, at least I won't until I understand where it's coming from. Coffin and.. what?
Drilbur - I would have liked another L but I'm content.
Axew - Really? Don't exactly like this, but I'd like to see the evolution's names before i judge on this one.
Woobat - As if it wasn't already as annoying as Zubat, THE NAMES RHYME >_>
Musharna - Saw this coming ever since Munna was first revealed... even prior to the japanese release. Was even more sure when Munna kept its name. I'm okay with it.

ABILITIES, THEY HAVE NAMES TOO.

Dust-proof is called Overcoat. Ehh, I would have preferred Dust-Proof.
Sand Power is now Sand Force. and Sand Strength is Sand Rush. I am STILL going to get the two confused. I assume by the names that Sand Force is the one that powers up ground, rock, and steel moves in a sandstorm, while Sand Rush doubles your speed in a sandstorm. I hope. Or else I'll be mad.
After You- After Me First, After You makes sense.
Sky Drop- Haha, I love this.

[move][/move]

Neerb

Cofagrigus is probably a weird mix of coffin and sarcophagus.

The "woo" in Woobat probably refers to wool (he is a white ball of fluff, after all), and as such you probably pronounce it like wool, so it doesn't quite rhyme with Zubat.

DededeCloneChris

An annoying Pokemon is Zubat,
but its cousin is called Woobat.

Sure, it doesn't rhyme.