News:

UH SOMETHING BROKE HANG ON

Main Menu

The Official B&W/5th gen Discussion Thread - GAMES OUT EVERYWHERE

Started by Kayo, May 13, 2010, 05:05:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

So, which version did you get? (Or are getting)

Pokémon Black
6 (35.3%)
Pokémon White
5 (29.4%)
Pokémon Black AND Pokémon White
4 (23.5%)
Neither, and don't plan to.
0 (0%)
Haven't decided yet.
2 (11.8%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Kayo

Quote from: Sora on January 13, 2011, 08:09:45 PM
Cofagrigus is probably a weird mix of coffin and sarcophagus.

The "woo" in Woobat probably refers to wool (he is a white ball of fluff, after all), and as such you probably pronounce it like wool, so it doesn't quite rhyme with Zubat.
But the extra R thrown in there... CofagRigus... is what I hate.

Quote from: Sora on January 13, 2011, 08:09:45 PM
Cofagrigus is probably a weird mix of coffin and sarcophagus.

The "woo" in Woobat probably refers to wool (he is a white ball of fluff, after all), and as such you probably pronounce it like wool, so it doesn't quite rhyme with Zubat.
I'm reading it as "WOO-bat." And I will read it that way forever. So yes it does, to me.
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

JrDude

Someone said "Braviary" was hard to pronounce. Say Aviary, now add a "Br"
There you go.
[move][/move]
Dude .

Kayo

Quote from: JrDude 益 on January 14, 2011, 12:17:23 AM
Someone said "Braviary" was hard to pronounce. Say Aviary, now add a "Br"
There you go.
I know, but I was reading it completely different at first.

That's what I hate about some pokemon names, my first look makes me pronounce them wrong. Except this is what I'm REALLY gonna hate. Those kids. Kids can NEVER pronounce names right. Hurts my ears just thinking about how they're gonna pronounce the 5th gen names. Like pronouncing Munna "Mun-nuh" instead of "Moon-uh" just sounds wrong to me. Yeah, that's what it LOOKS like it should sound like, but I've been saying "Moon-uh" because it's closer to the japanese pronounciation.

I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

Cornwad

Going by the big list of all of them on Serebii, I must say that these are singlehandedly the worst names ever put into a pokemon game, to the point where even a person like me prefers the Japanese names, which should never happen. I can only assume that this was done as a giant joke, and they wanted to make people cringe in fear to balance the power of some of these new pokemon. That being said, I'm completely alright with it.

Neerb

Quote from: Kayollini Pomodoro on January 14, 2011, 04:29:17 AM
I know, but I was reading it completely different at first.

That's what I hate about some pokemon names, my first look makes me pronounce them wrong. Except this is what I'm REALLY gonna hate. Those kids. Kids can NEVER pronounce names right. Hurts my ears just thinking about how they're gonna pronounce the 5th gen names. Like pronouncing Munna "Mun-nuh" instead of "Moon-uh" just sounds wrong to me. Yeah, that's what it LOOKS like it should sound like, but I've been saying "Moon-uh" because it's closer to the japanese pronounciation.

So? NoA can't pronounce them either. Rayquaza LOOKS like Rayquaza, but every official source pronounces it Raquayza.

Kayo

Quote from: Sora on January 14, 2011, 11:10:02 AM
So? NoA can't pronounce them either. Rayquaza LOOKS like Rayquaza, but every official source pronounces it Raquayza.
I made that mistake the first time I saw the name. Destiny Deoxys proved me wrong, and I've been pronouncing it correctly ever since. I've heard some terrible ones that sound like they came from dyslexic foreigners with downs syndrome. ALLOW ME TO SHARE SOME:

Kyogre: Kee-OR-juh
Dialga: DAL-jee-uh
Gardevoir: GRAD-eh-veer
Cresselia: Ker-SEEL-uh
Magmortar: MAG-mor-tuh-mer
Heatran: HEART-or-an

just to name a few. >_>
[move][/move]

The Riddler

Quote from: Kayollini Pomodoro on January 14, 2011, 03:23:30 PM
I made that mistake the first time I saw the name. Destiny Deoxys proved me wrong, and I've been pronouncing it correctly ever since. I've heard some terrible ones that sound like they came from dyslexic foreigners with downs syndrome. ALLOW ME TO SHARE SOME:

Kyogre: Kee-OR-juh
Dialga: DAL-jee-uh
Gardevoir: GRAD-eh-veer
Cresselia: Ker-SEEL-uh
Magmortar: MAG-mor-tuh-mer
Heatran: HEART-or-an

just to name a few. >_>
.... where the intercourse  did you get these pronunciations? Kai-Ogre. Dee-alga. Guard-eh-vwar. Cress-el-ia. Mag-mortar. Heat-ran.

Kayo

Quote from: Cecil Harvey on January 14, 2011, 03:40:52 PM
.... where the intercourse  did you get these pronunciations? Kai-Ogre. Dee-alga. Guard-eh-vwar. Cress-el-ia. Mag-mortar. Heat-ran.
Read my post again.

I SAID. These are things I HEARD. Not things I mispronounced myself. No, they're not hard to pronounce. Next time, read my intercourse ing post first.
[move][/move]

The Riddler

Quote from: Kayollini Pomodoro on January 14, 2011, 05:59:06 PM
Read my post again.

I SAID. These are things I HEARD. Not things I mispronounced myself. No, they're not hard to pronounce. Next time, read my intercourse ing post first.
I'm misunderstanding something somewhere.
You're saying they're what you've heard, I got that from the beginning. That's why I asked where you got them.
Are you saying they're the "correct" pronunciations, or just what you've heard people say?

Kayo

Quote from: Cecil Harvey on January 14, 2011, 06:23:37 PM
I'm misunderstanding something somewhere.
You're saying they're what you've heard, I got that from the beginning. That's why I asked where you got them.
Are you saying they're the "correct" pronunciations, or just what you've heard people say?
They're some of the worst I've heard. Which is on some EASY-to-pronounce names, even for kids ( so I thought)

Which makes it even scarier to think about how they'll mess up the new ones.
[move][/move]

Neerb

Quote from: Kayollini Pomodoro on January 14, 2011, 06:33:13 PM
They're some of the worst I've heard. Which is on some EASY-to-pronounce names, even for kids ( so I thought)

Which makes it even scarier to think about how they'll mess up the new ones.

Maybe you should just stop playing pokemon with little kids...

Kayo

Quote from: Sora on January 14, 2011, 10:20:54 PM
Maybe you should just stop playing pokemon with little kids...
I don't. They can be hard to avoid.
[move][/move]

JrDude

When you're around little kids don't mention Pokémon? They are easy to avoid actually, I never really had a problem.
[move][/move]
Dude .

Kayo

Quote from: JrDude 益 on January 15, 2011, 12:59:31 AM
When you're around little kids don't mention Pokémon? They are easy to avoid actually, I never really had a problem.
I don't. They come up to me. Like when I'm on vacation in the summer, and those kids on the motel deck run up to me with their DSes and say "LOOK AT MY POGEYMANS"

Seriously, some kids are very persistent. >_>
[move][/move]

Custom

Quote from: Viewtifulboy on March 11, 2013, 07:28:20 AM
Good job! I, Viewtifulboy, declare you the CHAMPION!

I'm the official winner of the Viewtiful Victory roleplay championship!