News:

Change is coming. HOPE CHANGE UNITY

Main Menu

The Official B&W/5th gen Discussion Thread - GAMES OUT EVERYWHERE

Started by Kayo, May 13, 2010, 05:05:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

So, which version did you get? (Or are getting)

Pokémon Black
6 (35.3%)
Pokémon White
5 (29.4%)
Pokémon Black AND Pokémon White
4 (23.5%)
Neither, and don't plan to.
0 (0%)
Haven't decided yet.
2 (11.8%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Kayo

Quote from: Black Mage on January 15, 2011, 03:02:36 PM
English names suck
I have to agree with you on this.

I'm afraid to see what they do to poor Shandera with its english name. ;_;
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

The Riddler

Quote from: Kayollini Pomodoro on January 15, 2011, 03:26:51 PM
I have to agree with you on this.

I'm afraid to see what they do to poor Shandera with its english name. ;_;
Chandeboo.

Kayo

I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

Zero

These names are very disappointing.

Chaoboo's english name is Pignite or something though, which is decent.

Neerb

Quote from: Zero on January 31, 2011, 03:51:29 PM

Where'd you see that?

Kayo

Quote from: Zero on January 31, 2011, 03:51:29 PM

I've seen this nowhere.

But if it IS true, I. Totally. Called. It.
[move][/move]

Zero

http://www.wiinintendo.net/2011/01/13/all-29-new-5th-generation-pokemon/

Smogon forums and Serebii forums have the names too.

Your Ghost/Fire type is named "Chandelure"

FruitFlow

Terrible selection of names.
The only two that sound somewhat creative and decent are "Pignite" and "Emboar".
Everything else is just plain horrible. I honestly think GameFreak could have done a much better job with that.

Even the 4th Gen names are much better than these, and that's the most underrated series in the games.
"Many people see technology as the problem behind the so-called digital divide. Others see it as the solution. Technology is neither. It must operate in conjunction with business, economic, political and social system."

Neerb

They aren't that bad. They could be better, but they certainly aren't terrible, and several made me chuckle due to the creative punniness. At any rate, I will enjoy using Samurott when I get the game.

Also, FOONGUS AMOONGUS is the greatest thing ever.

Shujinco2

You're right: it could be worse.

I.E. Seel, Krabby, Haunter...

Actually, Gen 1 had some really lazy names. They were just more catchy.

DededeCloneChris

Actually, the 1st gen. names are very good.

Neerb

Quote from: Tiger Barb on February 01, 2011, 06:03:56 PM
You're right: it could be worse.

I.E. Seel, Krabby, Haunter...

Actually, Gen 1 had some really lazy names. They were just more catchy.

When it comes to names, that's the important part. Emboar, Fraxture, Chandelure, these are good names. Zebstrika, Reuniclus, Zweilous, these are not so good names.

Although, with all the hype leading up to this gen, a lot of it is just sheer spite from their names not being our names. Snivy's a decent name, but people couldn't take it at first due to being so used to Smugleaf.

Anyways, my favorite punny names for this gen include: Foongus and Amoongus ("Fungus Among us") and Roggenrola ("Rock and Roll").

Kayo

Like how I hated some and liked some of the pokemon, I hate some and like some of the names.
I'm not quite certain on if these are real or not, because of the massive number released at once, but I'll just treat them as real for the sake of opinion. (I hope they're not, for some of them.)

Honestly, they're a lot like first gen names. This is a lot like first gen recreated, in the way that we have new equivalents of Geodude, Machop, etc.. Gotta remember that as I'm critiquing.

Servine and Serperior - I was half-expecting "Serplant" but I was on the right track there. They're... okay. Not great, but not the worst I've seen.
Pignite and Emboar - Fucking called this. I'm happy enough now.
Dewott and Samurott - Sort of disappointed with Dewott, but anything's better than Prinplup. Samurott is alright.
Purrloin - I get it. Made me chuckle.
Simisage/sear/pour - Eh. Just eh. I suppose these will be fine once I'm used to them.
Roggenrola - Wow, I love this. I just do.
Woobat -> Swoobat - Yeah, no. This doesn't work for me. I already didn't love Tentacool -> Tentacruel.. just, these overly similar evolution names aren't so appealing to be.
Audino - never gonna use this thing anyway so I don't care.
Timburr -> Gurdurr -> Conkelduur - At first I didn't like these similar-ish names but with Machop, Machoke, and Machamp, I can't hate these. I'll get used to them.
Throh and Sawk - what. I get it, but... what. Throw (yes) is just not a Pokémon name. Not really, no.
Venipede -> Whirlipede -> Scolipede - Classic 1st gen style naming here. Not bad, really.
Darumakka - I'm glad this kept its Japanese name.
Maractus - Saw it coming.
Dwebble and Crustle - I sort of see what they're doing. Dwebble is better than Crustle.
Scraggy and Scrafty - I hoped for better.
Sigilyph - Heh, this isn't bad.
Yamask - Nope.
Archen and Archeops - I'm pronouncing the ch's like Ks, if that's alright, or how it's suppsoed to be. When I do these are alright.
Solosis and Duosion - I was hoping for Uniran and Doubleran, like the japanese names. I don't like these so much.
Vanillite/lish/luxe - more first gen style names. I'm getting more used to this, and I like the chains names this way a little more now.
Foonguss and Amoonguss - LOL. Totally using this guy after seeing this. I wasn't going to, but the name but made me love it.
Frillish and Jellicent -> They're not too bad.
Klink, Klang, and Klinklang -> I expected this, so I'm okay. Klinklang is kind of fun to say though. I was close in my prediction on Klang though. I predicted something like Klink - Klank - Klunk. These are better than my predictions.
Elgyem and Beheeyem - OH MY GOD WHAT DID THEY DO TO OOBEMU. Once I learn the proper way to pronounce these I'll comment, but for now I don't like them so much. Maybe they're just odd and I need to get used to them?
Litwick - I liked the idea of something like Flickid, but okay. Lampent - nope. Chandelure - I see what they're doing. It's eh, but I made no prediction on this name. I'm using it anyway so I'll learn to love the name.
Fraxure and Haxorus - they hax y
Beartic - that's corny.
Cryogonal - um wat, okay?
Deino, Zweilous, Hydreigon - I don't know if anyone got this, but they include the German words for one, two, and three - Eins, Zwei, and Drei. I like these. Deino is punny. Dino mixed with most of "eins." Zweilous you have to say with a german accent.. the W sounds like a V. Hydreigon is my favorite. It seems to be a mix of Hydra, Drei, and dragon. So fitting. I love it.
Tornadus, Thundrus, Landorus - They sound like genie names. For this reason, imokwiththis
Kyurem - expected no change. I'll get used to it, but i'm still not used to Giratina.

The ones I didn't mention, either I dislike them somewhat or have no comment. Those are ones I liked or hated.

To anyone who says these pokemon or their names suck, (while some of them do) just look at the past gens. Really, they fit in enough. Get used to them. They're better than 4th gen IMO.

EDIT - seems as if these names have been confirmed as real. Alright. I didn't completely doubt the list, but now we have proof.
[move][/move]

Kayo

Also, someone may not have mentioned, Sanyou city, the first gym city, is called Striaton city. I will forever read it as Striation. Why they left out an I? I don't know. The three gym leaders are called Cilan (taken from the herb Cilantro), Chili, and Cress. The badge is called the Trio badge.

Also, we are still waiting on names for Keldeo, Meloetta, and Genosect. Being event-only, technically we're not supposed to know about them at all. Most likely we won't get their names until the European release at least, with 100% confirmation two days later for the USA release. My guess is they'll all stay the same. Maybe some slight spelling changes, as the ones i have are just phonetics based on the Japanese names, but they'll be pronounced the same.
[move][/move]

Neerb

According to Serebii, the English names for Kerudio, Meloetta, and Genosect are Keldeo, Meloetta, and Genesect. Also, they have the English names for Meloetta's forms: the green, singing form is Aria Form, and the red, dancing form is Pirouette Form.

Also, "Cryogonal" comes from "cryo" (ice) and "hexagonal" (six-sided), in case you didn't know. If your "wat" was out of shock rather than confusion, then I agree it is a strange name... although, it looks strange too. It's clearly a snowflake, but it's not a very good-looking one.

Also also...

Quote from: Kayo on February 02, 2011, 02:09:00 PM
Fraxure and Haxorus - they hax y