News:

<+Clu> have you tried barbecuing the computer

Main Menu

Learn How To Sidestep In 3 Easy Steps

Started by Timmy0591, July 25, 2008, 09:37:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timmy0591

This was made by me on another forum and I think it'd help some people on this one.

--------------------------------

Alright. So I noticed that most people on the forum are having some trouble sidestepping (Not going to name anyone), which is a vital part of your defense capabilities. To clarify why you should use it, I'm just going to lay down some FAQs.

1. Why bother sidestepping? Why not Dodgeroll?

Well, You can dodge roll. Chances are its not always the wisest choice to use. For example, If I'm DK fighting against...say...A C. Falc. Hes right in front of me, thinking that I'm going to use my DK Punch I have charged up. What does he do? He dodge rolls behind me and I use DK's downsmash. Which can set up for a number of different arials.

Now, What if he were to sidestep? Chances are, I might just FSmash him, or maybe use the Downsmash. But regardless of what I use with proper timing...He will dodge the attack and can follow up with some form of attack.

2. I dodgeroll all the time, and It doesn't effect me that much...Why should I stop?

You should stop for a number of reasons. It's incredibly predictable. Depending on your opponent's skill level, you can get dash grabbed and then chained by some combo that you could have totally avoided. It doesn't take much to hit someone after a roll. A Short hop Bair is some free damage if you roll behind them.

3. OMG you are going against all dodgerolling?!

No no no. I use to be one of the biggest dodge rollers and sadly when Brawl hit the shelves I realized that it was a incredibly bad mistake to make it a habit. Dodgerolling is a pretty nifty defensive tool, but when you over use it, it loses its purpose. For example, When I'm going against a C. Falc, hes driving that Falcon Kick right to my face, You could dodge roll and short hop a Fair. Another example...If I dodge roll in the same direction as a Link who then follows up with a Up B, chances are the Sidestep animation will run out before the move is done, so dodgerolling in the opposite way is your best choice.

4. Hmm, Alright...So how do I get rid of this pesky Dodgerolling habbit??

Well, I was guilty of that habit, and this is how I broke it.

1. Watch your opponents moves, and pay attention to THEIR habits. If they tend to spam projectiles, Just Shield. Since it takes more effort and the same button to use a Dodgeroll, just shielding shouldn't be too much of a hassle. So you block the projectile, and you haven't lost any ground, and your not farther away from your opponent.

2. Next, try to just shield smash attacks and projectiles. Say your going against a Marth user who loves to whore out Fsmash. Run up to them, and just Shield when you think they're about to use it. Bam, you are saved. Now Marth is busy with his lag, so you can follow up with a grab, tilt, or smash attack.

3. Ok, So once you do that for a few days, (it actually took me 2 weeks) this step you will be actually doing the sidestepping. Since you are now accustomed to just shielding attacks, its pretty simple to transition into sidestepping (Sidestepping is actually done by holding the shield button and pressing down on the analog stick). There ya have it, you just Broke your habitual ways and now have Incorporated sidestepping into your arsenal of ass kicking.

I hope this helps. Give me some feedback!
My Brawl friend code is 1032-1000-8306.

StarWindWizard7

:P
Just standing in one spot Side stepping/dodging is easy to practice on as well.

Well sorta!
Lol

On SSBM, I did roll dodge a lot, but I can't remember 'how much'.
On SSBB, I took my skill level from SSBM and put it on SSBB and because side stepping seems to be more 'efficient' I do use it often
(or finding myself using it a lot).

But, thats just me.

QingXin

I sidestep so much that it becomes natural. A sidestep followed by a Smash (usually Down Smash) can be a great tactic!

JrDude

That didn't tell me how to sidestep at all :|
It just said why to use it and how to get used to it.
[move][/move]
Dude .

Ridley

There were honestly people who didn't sidestep that play on forums? But anyway, there are certain characters that I find a dodgeroll to be way more effective that spot dodge. Metaknight for instance. Roll dodge to him while he is running at you and he will almost always overrun you and leave himself open. From there I always like to capitilize into a long combo and try to repeat the process. Of course that is not to say I don't do my fair share of spot dodge down smash with my Rob. ;)
...Friend codes were probably implemented by the same people who wanted tripping in Brawl...
...It's quite obvious...

Timmy0591

Quote from: Ridley on July 26, 2008, 07:50:46 PM
There were honestly people who didn't sidestep that play on forums? But anyway, there are certain characters that I find a dodgeroll to be way more effective that spot dodge. Metaknight for instance. Roll dodge to him while he is running at you and he will almost always overrun you and leave himself open. From there I always like to capitilize into a long combo and try to repeat the process. Of course that is not to say I don't do my fair share of spot dodge down smash with my Rob. ;)

To JR. Dude: There, I updated the front page so it clarifies how to do it. Although the paragraphs support the thread because Its building from one habbit to another.

To answer your question Ridley, Yes. The first forum I went to had so many dodgerollers that it wasn't even funny, and this helped them greatly. And you pretty much summed up my point by giving your example to coincide with mine. I never said Dodgerolling was "ZOMG 100% BAD!", but for most cases it will leave you hurting if you tend to over use it.
My Brawl friend code is 1032-1000-8306.

Ridley

Quote from: Timmy0591 on July 26, 2008, 08:30:57 PM
Quote from: Ridley on July 26, 2008, 07:50:46 PM

To JR. Dude: There, I updated the front page so it clarifies how to do it. Although the paragraphs support the thread because Its building from one habbit to another.

To answer your question Ridley, Yes. The first forum I went to had so many dodgerollers that it wasn't even funny, and this helped them greatly. And you pretty much summed up my point by giving your example to coincide with mine. I never said Dodgerolling was "ZOMG 100% BAD!", but for most cases it will leave you hurting if you tend to over use it.

Thanks and you seem to know what your doing. I would love to play you tomorow. Just leave a time in the friend codes thread.
...Friend codes were probably implemented by the same people who wanted tripping in Brawl...
...It's quite obvious...