Main Menu

NSFCD Olympics: Pokemon League

Started by Rius, June 09, 2010, 11:02:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rius

NSFCD Olympics: Pokémon League Tournament
(logo coming)
Board Member: Rius

Greetings, denizens of NSFCD! Welcome to the thread for the Pokémon League Tournament!

The ultimate tournament in the NSFCD Olympics! To the winner of the tournament, the 200 points, the title of Pokémon Champion, and $20 GameStop Giftcard! All participants will receive at least 25 points. See the Contest Rules for further details. If you are interested in competing, please reply to this thread with what times are best for you that day.

Pokémon is undoubtedly the most powerful force in video gaming; even though Nintendo's flagship Mario series saw its debut at least a full 10 years before Pokémon (a long time in the history of video games), the Mario series only maintains a 40 million lead in game sales. That's pretty much just the sales of Super Mario Bros. The success of Nintendo's handheld systems is partly driven by the monster addiction of the masses. Pokémon's adored mascot, Pikachu, has received a range of honors itself, from floating alongside Snoopy in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade to having several things named after it (including the temporary renaming of the city of Topeka, Kansas). Pokémon has become a Western, if not worldwide, cultural icon and shows no signs of slowing down as it draws a new generation of gamers into its fold.

Here at NSFCD, Pokémon remains a relatively active board; with the announcement of Pokémon Black & White only adding fuel to the fire. In tribute to this gaming giant, I am honored to sponsor the Pokémon League Tournament of the NSFCD Olympics.

Special note: Guys, this tournament will be using the Pokémon Online battle simulation. It's easy to use, free, and allows everyone to participate in this tournament. Again, this is not a Wi-Fi tournament.

Contest Rules

1. Eligibility - User must have registered for the NSFCD Olympics. The User must also register their preliminary team information with the Sponsor before the tournament begins. Pokémon Online Battle Simulator

2. Deadline - All Users who are interested in competing must register for the Tournament by posting their intent to compete in this thread by Wednesday, June 30, 2010 at 12:00 AM CST. In order to compete in the tournament, the User must register their preliminary team information.

3. Tournament - The Tournament will begin Friday, June 28, 2010. At 12:00 AM that day, the official bracket will be posted. The players will be divided into 4 preliminary brackets. The top 2 players from each bracket will progress to the quarterfinals.

4. Match Reporting - The Matches will be observed by the NSFCD Board and reported by the battle server.

5. Prizes - All participating Users will receive Points based on which round they are eliminated from the Tournament.

• Preliminaries - 25 Points
  • Quarterfinals/Semifinals - 50 Points
  • 3rd Place - 100 Points
  • 2nd Place - 150 Points
  • 1st Place - 200 Points
The Tournament Winner will receive the rank of Pokémon Champion and a $20 GameStop GiftCard.

6. General Conditions - All Forum Rules and General Conditions of the NSFCD Olympics apply. The Rules of the Tournament are as follows:

• 1. All matches must be played on Pokémon Online.
  • 2. Pokémon classified as "Uber" are banned from play, based on the Smogon tiers.
  • 3. Players are required to register their preliminary team information with the Chairman. Only Pokémon and items included in the registered information are allowed during the preliminaries of the tournament.
  • 4. Players may switch held items among their Pokémon between matches.
  • 5. Species Clause: No two Pokémon on a team may share the same National Dex number.
  • 6. Sleep Clause: A player cannot put two or more different opposing Pokémon to sleep using sleep inducing moves.
  • 7. Freeze Clause: A player cannot freeze two or more different opposing Pokémon.
  • 8. Evasion Clause: A player cannot increase their evasion stat using evasion increasing moves (i.e. Double Team, Minimize).
  • 9. OHKO Clause: Players cannot use moves that have a chance of instant KO of opposing Pokémon.
  • 10. Self-KO Clause: Players cannot use moves such as Explosion or Destiny Bond that force a tie. If a move with recoil damage causes a tie, the move user wins.
  • 11. A game is declared a tie if both Pokémon are knocked out as a result of the following conditions: weather effects (e.g. Hail), Stealth Rock/Spikes, abilities (e.g. Aftermath, Liquid Ooze), or held items (excluding Life Orb).
  • 12. If a Player forfeits a match, whether intentionally or accidentally, the Player loses and is eliminated from the tournament.
  • 13. All Players must enable battle logs during the tournament.
Preliminary Round Conditions:
  • 1. Each Player is allowed three Pokémon and items from their registered team information.
  • 2. Players can switch their Pokémon and items between matches.
  • 3. If a match results in a tie, both Players are eliminated from the tournament.
Elimination Round Conditions:
  • 1. Each Player is allowed to use any legal Pokemon or items they wish.
  • 2. Players can switch their Pokémon and items between matches.
  • 3. If a match results in a tie, Players enter a Sudden Death match. In Sudden Death, both Players battle until one Player has more remaining Pokémon than his opponent.

7. Team Registration - After downloading and creating their team in the Pokémon Online client, the user must use the "Export to Text" tool in the Teambuilder. This text file should be submitted to Chairman prior to the tournament. Only one team information file is allowed per user. Users are allowed to resubmit their team information until the tournament begins.

8. Banned Pokémon, Moves, and Items

Pokémon
    • Arceus
    • Darkrai
    • Deoxys (all formes)
    • Dialga
    • Garchomp
    • Giratina (both formes)
    • Groudon
    • Ho-Oh
    • Kyogre
    • Latias
    • Latios
    • Lugia
    • Manaphy
    • Mew
    • Mewtwo
    • Palkia
    • Rayquaza
    • Shaymin (Sky Forme)
    • Wobbuffet
    • Wynaut

Moves
    • Double Team
    • Fissure
    • Guillotine
    • Horn Drill
    • Minimize
    • Sheer Cold

Items
    • Brightpowder
    • Focus Band
    • King's Rock
    • Lax Incense
    • Quick Claw
    • Razor Claw
    • Razor Fang
    • Stick

Rius

Light

Holy crap all my sigs were always poop. Best leave this space alone.

SkyMyl

While I've never dabbled in Pokemon Online and I don't play competitively, I'm in.

JrDude

Quote from: SkyMyl on June 10, 2010, 08:11:58 AM
While I've never dabbled in Pokemon Online and I don't play competitively, I'm in.
[move][/move]
Dude .

Dawei

So we can't use a move like explosion at all? Are we allowed to use it in a situation where it would not possibly cause a tie? Also, for the 3v3 tournament, 3 of those pokemon have to be part of our 6 man team? We can't have a separate team for 3v3 compared to our 6v6 one?

Cornwad

I'm in. My team isn't very creative but it works sometimes.

Spud

Quote from: Cornwad on June 10, 2010, 11:57:43 AM
I'm in. My team isn't very creative but it works sometimes.
Hooray, I have a chance.
Yes, this means I'm participating.

Night the Lucario

I'm in, definitely. Also, the Ubers... is that just Legendaries, or are there others I should know about?
When one lives by the pen, one dies by the angry characters you misused. But it's too much fun not to!
Forsooth, I AM insane! FEAR ME, YE MORTALS, OR DESPAIR AT MY INSANITY! *insane cackling*
Ahem. Anyone have an RP? I need an outlet for my randomness. ;D
Think another thought, dream another dream, live another lie.
I'm writing poetry. Anyone have a request?
I'm Night the Lucario. Although that should be obvious. Just look at the sig. Or title and PT.

Dawei

Quote from: Night the Lucario on June 10, 2010, 12:37:59 PM
I'm in, definitely. Also, the Ubers... is that just Legendaries, or are there others I should know about?

http://www.smogon.com/dp/tiers/uber

Those are all the ubers. Some are legendary, some are not. Also, some legendaries aren't ubers. Oh, and, sign me up for this tourney.

So_So_Man

The Riddler

Rius

Quote from: Dawei on June 10, 2010, 11:09:10 AM
So we can't use a move like explosion at all? Are we allowed to use it in a situation where it would not possibly cause a tie? Also, for the 3v3 tournament, 3 of those pokemon have to be part of our 6 man team? We can't have a separate team for 3v3 compared to our 6v6 one?
You can use Self-KO moves as long as they don't cause the result of the match to be a tie. As for the teams, I'm currently reviewing my rules for Pokemon teams.

tibar21

could i have link to the tier list according to smogon?
Super Smash Bros Brawl FC: 2622-1690-4267
Pokemon Soul Silver FC: 4855-9306-7114
Mario Kart Wii FC: 4898-5017-8746

Cornwad

Quote from: tibar21 on June 10, 2010, 05:59:55 PM
could i have link to the tier list according to smogon?

http://www.smogon.com/dp/tiers/ou
Those are all the OU ones, and we already have the Ubers. Everything else is UU or NU.