News:

<+Clu> was cute sure but it doesnt even mention homosexuality

Main Menu

Critical Captures

Started by Kayo, March 12, 2011, 07:52:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kayo

Ever heard of these? It's something new in B/W that's been referred to (possibly unofficially) as a "Critical capture."

I don't know the chances of it happening, but here's what I know:

- As you throw the pokeball, it makes more of a metallic sound flying through the air
- It may do something special as it opens up over the Pokemon, but I don't remember
- After hitting the ground, the ball will shake once, then the Pokemon will be captured without fail.

Anyone else ever had this happen? Happened to me three times. I used a regular Pokeball each time, so I don't know if it works with any kind of ball or not. It happened first with a Karrablast, then with something else (Don't remember what) and finally just a few minutes ago with a Druddigon.

And if anyone has more information about this, especially the probability of it happening, I'd like to know. And discuss, etc.
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

DededeCloneChris

It happened to me twice. I was very surprised that something like that can even happen.

bluaki

It's not actually a guaranteed capture. I'm fairly sure I've had a critical capture fail before.

It felt to me like it became much more common as I was further in the game, so I might guess its chance increases with badge count. My first one appeared very late in the game but they seemed fairly frequent afterwards.

Kayo

Maybe what happens is this: it shortens the maximum amount of wiggles to one. Most of the time, if something's weakened, it will last at least one wiggle before breaking out. So if it lasts that first wiggle during a critical capture, that's it.
That actually makes sense.

Also yeah, my first one was after I had 5 badges. Nothing before, 2 since.
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

DededeCloneChris

Quote from: bluaki on March 12, 2011, 08:48:30 PM
It's not actually a guaranteed capture. I'm fairly sure I've had a critical capture fail before.

It felt to me like it became much more common as I was further in the game, so I might guess its chance increases with badge count. My first one appeared very late in the game but they seemed fairly frequent afterwards.
Unfortunately, your guess bases on pure luck. BTW, that Shiny rate encounter for beginners was also based on luck.

JrDude

My first (and only one) was with an ultra ball, it was before my 5th badge and I'm pretty sure before my 4th, not sure about 3rd because I didn't care enough.
But I couldn't tell it was a "Critical capture" at first, it just flew, nothing sounded different (I didn't listen for a different sound), shook once then caught.
So for all I know I may have had several Critical Capture moments that failed, but since I couldn't really tell the difference in sound I don't know.
[move][/move]
Dude .

bluaki

Quote from: Kayo on March 12, 2011, 08:56:36 PM
Maybe what happens is this: it shortens the maximum amount of wiggles to one. Most of the time, if something's weakened, it will last at least one wiggle before breaking out.
Most of the time? Have you never tried capturing a low-chance legendary? Even at 1HP and sleep condition with a 4x ball (Dusk), they'll not even wiggle once in half the balls you throw. I believe Kyurem is the one I just mentioned who broke out.
Quote from: PuttyChris on March 12, 2011, 09:11:46 PM
Unfortunately, your guess bases on pure luck. BTW, that Shiny rate encounter for beginners was also based on luck.
One time, like a shiny in only my own game, is indeed pure luck. But if for both the Japanese and US releases, I see several mentions of an early shiny even in the few people I know, some correlation seems likely.
Critical Capture is also luck observations, but when I had something like my first critical be after the 6th badge then end up seeing 5 more before the Elite Four (without throwing a particularly larger number of pokeballs than before), it seems a bit strange D:
Either way, it's really a guess based loosely on what I've noticed. I never said I'm certain there's actually a reason. Or these can both be explained by poor randomization/seeding.

On a side note, the English games actually say "Shiny" Pokemon at one point. I think this is the first time they've been called that name by the game itself, though NoA/Pokemon USA did recognize the name a bit earlier in the HG/SS guidebook or something like that.

Kayo

Quote from: bluaki on March 12, 2011, 09:48:29 PM
Most of the time? Have you never tried capturing a low-chance legendary? Even at 1HP and sleep condition with a 4x ball (Dusk), they'll not even wiggle once in half the balls you throw. I believe Kyurem is the one I just mentioned who broke out.

One time, like a shiny in only my own game, is indeed pure luck. But if for both the Japanese and US releases, I see several mentions of an early shiny even in the few people I know, some correlation seems likely.
Critical Capture is also luck observations, but when I had something like my first critical be after the 6th badge then end up seeing 5 more before the Elite Four (without throwing a particularly larger number of pokeballs than before), it seems a bit strange D:
Either way, it's really a guess based loosely on what I've noticed. I never said I'm certain there's actually a reason. Or these can both be explained by poor randomization/seeding.

On a side note, the English games actually say "Shiny" Pokemon at one point. I think this is the first time they've been called that name by the game itself, though NoA/Pokemon USA did recognize the name a bit earlier in the HG/SS guidebook or something like that.
Well, I'm discounting legendaries. Anything with a double digit catch rate at least will often wiggle once.

Also, I noticed the "Shiny" counters in the Pokedex. Weird this would be mentioned in the game, but okay.
[move][/move]

X-3

I've had it happen twice. Both times, it seemed like the Pokeball was in the air just a bit longer after being thrown. Maybe it was just me.

Kayo

Quote from: X-3 on March 12, 2011, 10:26:40 PM
I've had it happen twice. Both times, it seemed like the Pokeball was in the air just a bit longer after being thrown. Maybe it was just me.
I think that might be it. I remember hearing something happens, but I don't remember what it was. And I usually don't pay half attention after I throw a pokeball. I listen absentmindedly for the sound of it breaking open (which doesn't usually happen, considering I like weakening things)
[move][/move]

DededeCloneChris

The term "Shiny" was accepted because the popularity was huge in the fans.

Also, Pignite's name was taken from the fans too (but "Smugleaf" wasn't).

JrDude

I just had a critical capture with a Dusk Ball. It was against a Litwik. I noticed it this time instantly. Wasn't listening for it but heard it.
[move][/move]
Dude .

Neerb

I've never had a critical capture.
I've never seen a shiny in-game.

Custom

Quote from: Neerb on March 13, 2011, 10:33:14 AM
I've never had a critical capture.
I've never seen a shiny in-game.

man you got no luck

Quote from: Viewtifulboy on March 11, 2013, 07:28:20 AM
Good job! I, Viewtifulboy, declare you the CHAMPION!

I'm the official winner of the Viewtiful Victory roleplay championship!

SkyMyl

I got a critical capture today, a few minutes after first viewing this thread.

You guys are all magic, I swear it.