News:

<Clu> no nsfcd is basically a ghost town, it should be killed behind fences

Main Menu

Pointless Classes

Started by Doodle, February 02, 2010, 01:50:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doodle

What pointless classes have you taken/are taken right now?
I'm in "Computer Applications" right now. Dumbest class ever.
Half of the stuff is just common sense. :|
YEAH

Spud

Religion. I don't see why it's required to be taken in Catholic schools.

Kayo

English plzkthx

i already know that language, in fact i can speak it pretty well. :|
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

Titus Andronicus

Quote from: K on February 02, 2010, 02:06:13 PM
English plzkthx

i already know that language, in fact i can speak it pretty well. :|
plzkthx i know

But in all seriousness, high school courses open you to more courses in that area. English prepares you for a career in the liberal arts field. You might not want to go into that, but the point of it is to diversify the knowledge of all students so that something they might be interested in comes up in their classes.

Also I have to have 52 liberal arts credits for my comp sci undergrad degree. wtf
Tramps like us, baby we were born to die.

PsychoYoshi

Liberal arts education is a good thing; it forces you to apply critical thinking outside of your comfort zone. This world needs more people who can think on their feet instead of letting other people think for them--this is currently the problem with the world at large, although it's admittedly always been this way. Everyone with a good education has the opportunity, however, to move beyond this trap--whether you do or not is entirely up to you.

I can understand a high school student's pain towards English; you're probably never going to need to know the works of Shakespeare front and back, but constantly getting hammered with essay assignments forces you to develop good analytical writing chops--and employers like skilled writers. If they're having you do presentations or speeches, again, it's a useful skill and you shouldn't be complaining.

Aside from a few glaring exceptions, I don't think there are any "pointless" classes--there's always something new to be learned, even if the student doesn't always want to learn what the class has to offer (in my case, that would be calculus and organic chem).

Tsumaru

Art I was pointless to me, since I've been in Talented Art since the 3rd grade.
There's no reason I should have to take 4 Englishes.
There's no reason I should have to take Intro to Business Computer Apps when I can easily do Computer Science work.
There's no reason for most history classes in public school, since the classes rarely go past World War I, if they get that far.

I hate school.

L10

English is stupid, I shouldn't have to take it 4 years, which is why I'm going to try and get out of it next year(Yay ctec)
0o!f

Mystic

I really can't think of any. There are classes that would be pointless for me to take, but that doesn't make the class itself pointless.

Dog Food

Photography. This is because we don't actually have any assignments and just sit in front of a computer and do whatever we want for an hour.

...On the off chance that we do have an assignment, it takes a day and then we are back to doing nothing for a few more weeks.

Oh man, I miss Photography ;-;. Although Psychology is a fun replacement.
I get obsessively manic over things. It's a problem.

Gwen Khan

history and criticism of film

a easy class for my last semester of school ever

Matt

Quote from: Doodle on February 02, 2010, 01:50:24 PM

Ha.

bluaki

I've taken a bunch of them, sadly.

English I,II,III: Look up enough about Florida's English curriculum and you'd agree. We spend absolutely no time on something like grammar (which all people here are terrible enough as it is with) or vocabulary. The entire class is pretty much reading simple short passages of a couple pages, discussing it briefly in class, and doing worthless activities, like watching videos, making a poster in groups, or acting out a play. Honors English teaches even less and assigns even more worthless activities and projects.

Computer and Keyboarding/Business Skills: It's probably the same basic class as Doodle mentioned. Common sense stuff of how to use (and misuse) Microsoft Word etc.

Digital Design: Pretty much an entire class on using Adobe InDesign.

Web Design: As part of several 4-5 day "summer science camps" I took during elementary school, one in 4th grade taught basic Web Design, which was before I ever even had a computer at home. Leaving that, I and the other kids in it probably knew enough about web design to be able to pass an exam for Web Design 2 (both levels being a year long)

Creative Photography: Nearly no work actually in class, most of it is simple projects.

AP Computer Science: To me, this is extremely simple computer programming I could have learned myself in a short time that I feel probably won't at all prepare me for a college programming class. To other students who are not at all interested in computer science and only took it assuming it to be easy AP credit, this is a class to completely fail.
Quote from: Tsumaru on February 02, 2010, 04:47:22 PM
There's no reason for most history classes in public school, since the classes rarely go past World War I, if they get that far.
What?
Although my AP World History class was a little behind and couldn't get past WW1 until after the AP exam, my only other high school history class, US History, will get as recent as the early 2000s at the very end.

Light

Quote from: Doodle on February 02, 2010, 01:50:24 PM
Should have taken Computer Animation, fgt. :|

Also, no classes are completely pointless. They all have something to teach you, and all have some value for you later in life, and in your caree-

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU-
Holy crap all my sigs were always poop. Best leave this space alone.

Kayo

Quote from: Tsumaru on February 02, 2010, 04:47:22 PM
There's no reason I should have to take 4 Englishes.
My school only requires 3 years of high school math and science, so I SHOULD not have to take those in my Senior year. Sadly though, my mother becomes a ninny when I tell her I don't need that extra year. My schedule is so full that I have lunch AFTER school for some dumb-ass reason, and if I drop a year of math I get lunch. but no, "MATH IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN EATING" ;_;

However, i need 4 YEARS of English and History. The two classes i hate the most, I have to take straight through school. I wish it was the other way around, I wouldn't mind science or math. (would be AP Chemistry and like calculus but ok)

I already must drop spanish next year because my schedule has no space.. which is something I do NOT want to do. Also, my school throws in something called "Science Lab" which would be actually called Earth Lab, Biology Lab, Chemistry Lab, whatever. Its a class I hake 2 days in our 6-day cycle. It's like science, but a separate class for all experiments and such. I HATE IT. It's the very reason I don't have lunch every day. I think all the experiments and lab poop should be done in REGULAR SCIENCE CLASS. The grades you get with that class aren't even separate, it's part of your science grade. RAGE

So yeah, I add Bio Lab as a pointless class.
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]