Which Oscars were deserved?

Started by Macawmoses, March 07, 2010, 10:38:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Macawmoses

Personally:

-Up getting its two was well deserved.
-Avatar for effects was pretty obvious.
-Inglorious Basterds for supporting actor, mhm

I think that stupid ass Hurt Locker was pathetic. It is riddled with inaccuracies from a guy that was supposedly "there". He must have been on good drugs. I mean, any dissidence like in that film would equal an instant court martial. Or death. The atmosphere was so phony. And since when do guys that work on bombs also master sniping? Personally, I think Up or Inglorious should have had Best Picture.

As for Jeff Bridges...eh he was OK. Not sure who outdid him.
Supporting actress should have been Segourney Weaver, imo. She was one of the best parts of Avatar.

Go.

Tupin

I'm just glad Avatar didn't win.

Quote from: SkyMyl
Tuppy frightens me with his knowledge of legacy technology.

Nayrman

Dude, they shot Hurt Locker IN JORDAN. Atmosphere was phony my ass. A lot more realistic than a bunch of blue screens with multi-colored Ferngully creatures put in.

Hurt Locker was the best film. I've seen some Iraq War movies, and they're all the same "WAR IS GREAT! USA IS GREAT! WE'RE AWESOME WOOO!" sort of films. Finally one that isn't bangy bangy shootey shootey. And who says a bomb squad guy can't be a good sniper on the side? @_@:;

I'm just glad Avatar didn't win best director or picture. ANYTHING but Avatar and I would've been happy. Although I think the only thing it "deserved" (if even that) was the special effects. best art direction should've gone to either Up or Coraline. Both had their own really unique art styling. Meanwhile Avatar was just "CG! MOAR CG!!!!!! MAKE IT LOOK COOL!!!!!!!".

Can't really say anything about Best Actress on Blind Side... I just hate schmaltzy films like that. Especially ones based on real life. No drama, no tension, no nothing. So I can't comment on that without a lot of bias.

Macawmoses

Quote from: Nayrman on March 08, 2010, 01:27:30 PM
Dude, they shot Hurt Locker IN JORDAN. Atmosphere was phony my ass. A lot more realistic than a bunch of blue screens with multi-colored Ferngully creatures put in.

Hurt Locker was the best film. I've seen some Iraq War movies, and they're all the same "WAR IS GREAT! USA IS GREAT! WE'RE AWESOME WOOO!" sort of films. Finally one that isn't bangy bangy shootey shootey. And who says a bomb squad guy can't be a good sniper on the side? @_@:;

I'm just glad Avatar didn't win best director or picture. ANYTHING but Avatar and I would've been happy. Although I think the only thing it "deserved" (if even that) was the special effects. best art direction should've gone to either Up or Coraline. Both had their own really unique art styling. Meanwhile Avatar was just "CG! MOAR CG!!!!!! MAKE IT LOOK COOL!!!!!!!".

Can't really say anything about Best Actress on Blind Side... I just hate schmaltzy films like that. Especially ones based on real life. No drama, no tension, no nothing. So I can't comment on that without a lot of bias.
Because I dont want to argue it, I'll just say Hurt Locker is totally realistic. I found several sources that agree with me. It's fake as intercourse , and the fact it tries to pass itself off as realistic is appalling. For those of us joining the service, or with service members in our family, it's disgusting.

Dog Food

Quote from: King Richard on March 08, 2010, 08:27:05 PM
Because I dont want to argue it, I'll just say Hurt Locker is totally realistic. I found several sources that agree with me. It's fake as intercourse , and the fact it tries to pass itself off as realistic is appalling. For those of us joining the service, or with service members in our family, it's disgusting.
I enjoyed reading that. Seems to me like some of those mistakes are just careless, while some were probably stretched quite a bit to make for a better movie. Either way, they could have fixed them and tweaked the storyline in order to make it a more realistic, while still enjoyable film.

I taped the Oscars, but then I forgot about it. But I'm glad Avatar didn't win Best Picture. Who got Best Director?
I get obsessively manic over things. It's a problem.

Cornwad

Quote from: Piggy on March 14, 2010, 02:51:51 PM
I taped the Oscars, but then I forgot about it. But I'm glad Avatar didn't win Best Picture. Who got Best Director?
The Hurt Locker

Christoph Waltz and Up definitely deserved the awards they won.

Dog Food

Quote from: The Walrus on March 14, 2010, 03:27:53 PM
The Hurt Locker

Christoph Waltz and Up definitely deserved the awards they won.
Oh really?

So Avatar won Best Picture and Best Director for the Golden Globes, and then James Cameron's ex wife wins the same two categories for the Oscars. That's funny and slightly ironic.
I get obsessively manic over things. It's a problem.

Light

Quote from: King Richard on March 07, 2010, 10:38:50 PM
I think that stupid ass Hurt Locker was pathetic. It is riddled with inaccuracies from a guy that was supposedly "there". He must have been on good drugs. I mean, any dissidence like in that film would equal an instant court martial. Or death. The atmosphere was so phony. And since when do guys that work on bombs also master sniping? Personally, I think Up or Inglorious should have had Best Picture.
thisthisthisthisthisthisthisthis

Anyway, to sum up my feelings about the Oscars, I'll list below in order what my "preferential ballot" would have been for Best Picture at the Oscars (I have not seen Precious or Serious Man):

1. Up
2. Up in the Air
3. An Education
4. District 9
5. Inglourious Basterds
6. The Blind Side
7. Avatar
10. The Shit Locker

Also, the acting roles were all well-deserved, though I would have liked to see Up in the Air win SOMETHING... it was snubbed out of best adapted screenplay, IMHO. And Hurt Locker winning best original screenplay made me cringe...
Holy crap all my sigs were always poop. Best leave this space alone.

Java

Quote from: El-ahrairah on March 19, 2010, 05:01:21 PM
Also, the acting roles were all well-deserved, though I would have liked to see Up in the Air win SOMETHING... it was snubbed out of best adapted screenplay, IMHO. And Hurt Locker winning best original screenplay made me cringe...
I LOVED Up in the Air, it definitely should have won something at least...

Thirdkoopa

To be honest with the oscars I'm just highly thankful that 500 days of summer didn't win a single thing personally. I've never cared much for the oscars.
[21:11] <mackormoses> let's take a look at today's stats
[21:11] <Rosencrantz> stats today are high
[21:11] <mackormoses> holy intercourse ing poop
[21:11] <Rosencrantz> you adding all these standards
[21:11] <Rosencrantz> is really pushing us [/quote]
Quote from: JrDude φ on May 31, 2010, 08:32:13 PM
3 of my friends smoke weed. Why? Well I asked one time, and this is what they said: "Because I can blow out smoke and it makes me feel like a intercourse ing dragon"

BOREDFOREVER

To be honest, I don't really care who wins in the Oscars.  I think it's pretty hard to say how much anyone there "deserves" anything.  Since art is incredibly subjective, awarding one peice as "best -" is a little . .  well . . . strange.  But it seems that it just notes the exceptional, so I don't have a major beef with it.  It just seems like a "Hey we liked this a lot" kind of award from the Academy.

As for Hurt Locker . . . I get people pointing out the inaccuracies if the creators were lauding it as the most accurate portrayal of the war.  But compare it to most dramas, like crime scene shows, hospital dramas, or political shows, and they all stretch the amount of duty the protagonists do and the situations they get into.  Some stretch farther than others.  It may not make their real life counterparts happy, but it makes for a better story by consolidating characters and plot points as well as making the whole thing less complicated.

Light

Quote from: BOREDFANBOY on March 20, 2010, 08:18:34 PM
To be honest, I don't really care who wins in the Oscars.  I think it's pretty hard to say how much anyone there "deserves" anything.  Since art is incredibly subjective, awarding one peice as "best -" is a little . .  well . . . strange.  But it seems that it just notes the exceptional, so I don't have a major beef with it.  It just seems like a "Hey we liked this a lot" kind of award from the Academy.

As for Hurt Locker . . . I get people pointing out the inaccuracies if the creators were lauding it as the most accurate portrayal of the war.  But compare it to most dramas, like crime scene shows, hospital dramas, or political shows, and they all stretch the amount of duty the protagonists do and the situations they get into.  Some stretch farther than others.  It may not make their real life counterparts happy, but it makes for a better story by consolidating characters and plot points as well as making the whole thing less complicated.
I agree with your first claim; the Academy doesn't decide "this is this, that is that, period". Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. The ceremony is mainly for bragging rights.

As for your second claim, however; the reason I didn't like The Hurt Locker was not the factual inaccuracies. I just didn't like the movie as a whole. I thought the acting was sub-par at best (I wanted to kill Jeremy Renner's character), the plot wasn't gripping, and the writing was awful.
Holy crap all my sigs were always poop. Best leave this space alone.

Macawmoses

Quote from: Light on March 21, 2010, 11:20:03 PM
I agree with your first claim; the Academy doesn't decide "this is this, that is that, period". Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. The ceremony is mainly for bragging rights.

As for your second claim, however; the reason I didn't like The Hurt Locker was not the factual inaccuracies. I just didn't like the movie as a whole. I thought the acting was sub-par at best (I wanted to kill Jeremy Renner's character), the plot wasn't gripping, and the writing was awful.
As BFB pointed out, much of my issue stemmed from the fact that it was their own claims suggesting it was super real. It's not the case...yet it's seemingly one of the major reasons it won anything.

And yes, the acting was atrocious. The protagonist did a good job of inciting a certain amount of rage from me...but not in any good way. Again, it makes me wonder what the writer was on when he wrote the character...there's no chance it would ever happen. In the case of Gregory House, he's an ass, but it is justified why he isn't booted. With what's his face, it's just cuz. That's it. In fact, most of the film is ended because they said so. The only emotions it invokes are frustration and irritation.

Thirdkoopa

Nothing last year could've been as awful this year as 500 days of summer.
500 days of summer wasn't even considered
I think we should be thankful.
And yes I still regret watching that.

...Through the hurt locker won stuff for being realistic? Oh wow. I've heard a lot about that one's lack of relation. I'm fine with a less of lack of relation to the real thing and all but winning awards for that?

Oh well.
[21:11] <mackormoses> let's take a look at today's stats
[21:11] <Rosencrantz> stats today are high
[21:11] <mackormoses> holy intercourse ing poop
[21:11] <Rosencrantz> you adding all these standards
[21:11] <Rosencrantz> is really pushing us [/quote]
Quote from: JrDude φ on May 31, 2010, 08:32:13 PM
3 of my friends smoke weed. Why? Well I asked one time, and this is what they said: "Because I can blow out smoke and it makes me feel like a intercourse ing dragon"

BOREDFOREVER

I guess my only frame of reference for frustration over the inaccuracies is when people talk about The Divinci Code being well researched and based off of true findings.  Listen folks, I've read the Mabinogian, the Vulgate Cycle, and the original Perceval (translated of course).  The guy wrote an interesting story (if you can get past his cheap writing), but it's not well researched.  It's crap.