News:

<+Clu> im 100% nigga

Main Menu

Which Ernest Hemingway novel should I read for English?

Started by Java, March 25, 2010, 08:25:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Java

I'm currently taking AP English Language and Composition and our teacher has assigned us to read one of four Ernest Hemingway novels.

The options are:
- The Old Man and the Sea
- For Whom the Bell Tolls
- The Sun Also Rises
- Farewell to Arms

If any of you have read any of the novels, would you recommend it?
If not, which would you recommend based on what you've heard?

Macawmoses

I'm partial to "For Whom The Bell Tolls." I've read three of the four (not The Sun), and it's by far my favourite. Of the three I've read, I'd say it's the one that is the easiest to make connections to other pieces to - simply because of the allusions it created. To show you how universal it is - both Obama and McCain cited it as an amazing book.

Thirdkoopa

Well I had to read The Old Man and the Sea in the second quarter I had last year; Honestly, it only picks up at certain parts. They're just something I can't grasp about it, so I'd anti-recommend that unless you're really uninterested in the others. Though be aware that I'm not a book fan at all and I'm just...Critical into it. Then again I've turned critical most of these times these days as of late so yeah.

Of the ones I've heard the most from people around me I'd go for "For Whom the Bell Tolls"; Only one that I hear more positive stuff about. Try looking for plot summaries and read a bit of the first stuff in bits to see what you think of each.
[21:11] <mackormoses> let's take a look at today's stats
[21:11] <Rosencrantz> stats today are high
[21:11] <mackormoses> holy intercourse ing poop
[21:11] <Rosencrantz> you adding all these standards
[21:11] <Rosencrantz> is really pushing us [/quote]
Quote from: JrDude φ on May 31, 2010, 08:32:13 PM
3 of my friends smoke weed. Why? Well I asked one time, and this is what they said: "Because I can blow out smoke and it makes me feel like a intercourse ing dragon"

Dog Food

I've only read The Sun Also Rises. Eh, didn't really care for it. It's about a depressed guy who can't get his dick up because of a war wound and is in love with a slut who can't love him because they can't have sex and he really enjoys bullfighting so he goes to watch the shows in Spain and drama and stuff ensues.

It's kind of funny, though, because the author subtly makes fun of the main character, Jake, who can't get his dick up. Think about why it's called The Sun Also Rises. Yeah.

Anyway. Easy read, but pretty boring in my opinion.
I get obsessively manic over things. It's a problem.

Java

I was actually kind of leaning to The Sun Also Rises just for the fact that it was set partially in Spain. Maybe I have to reconsider if it's boring.

Although I've heard good things about For Whom the Bell Tolls, I'm a bit hesitant on reading it because it's so much longer than the rest of the books and I really don't want to be killing myself over a book for English when I have so many other classes and activities to worry about.

The Old Man and the Sea interests me primarily because it takes place in Cuba, but I've heard that it can be pretty boring at times. Also, my teacher said that only four students can read the book and because certain people in my class are so darn pushy and I tend not to be, I don't see myself being able to claim it.

As for Farewell to Arms... I just don't really know much about it.

Titus Andronicus

Farewell to Arms is such an easy read. I didn't read it though.
Tramps like us, baby we were born to die.