News:

Our thoughts go to Silver and his family in this difficult time.

Main Menu

Phineas and Ferb

Started by NiMa74, June 06, 2010, 06:29:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NiMa74

Phineas and Ferb. What's not to say about this show? Started in 2007 with its pilot, "Rollercoaster", and kicked off fully in February of 2008 with a month long event, which showcased most of the show's first season. Since then, the show's been deep into its second season, with a third on the way. But what makes this show so much different from the rest of the poop that the Disney Channel pumps violently out of some anus-factory every now and then? Let's take a look.

Phineas and Ferb follows the story of outgoing, optimistic Phineas (Vincent Martella) and quiet, British, and overall awesome character Ferb (Thomas Sangster), two stepbrothers on one mission and one mission alone: to have a good summer. How do they manage this, you may ask? Pretty much in every way two "less than fifteen" [spoiler=creator info](via creators Dan Povenmire and Jeff "Swampy" Marsh, whom both worked on many other shows, such as earlier episodes of SpongeBob, Rocko's Modern Life, and Family Guy)[/spoiler] year olds would never be able to do in any way, shape, or form possible in real life, of course! The theme song (performed by Bowling for Soup) sums it up quite nicely (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKXYxGfFBig&hd=1).

Now, this may not seem like the most complex plot there is, but there's much more to it. During the whole episode, their near-psychotic older sister, Candace, always tries to get them "busted" by their mother, Linda, whom is almost never around to see what Phineas and Ferb are doing. Which brings us to our B-plot of the series. While Phineas and Ferb are working on their daily projects, their pet platypus, Perry, goes to his daily job in a top-secret animal-based organization and fights the evil Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz. Doofenshmirtz builds a new invention every day for a strange purpose related to some backstory from his childhood, which is usually hilariously unusual. Perry always wins, though, and Doofenshmirtz's invention always conveniently gets destroyed, but not before eliminating any and all evidence of Phineas and Ferb's invention of the day, leaving Candace looking even more like a loon at the end of the day. Also, there is a song nearly every episode, most of which are incredibly catchy and WILL get stuck in your head for quite some time.

So, for those who have seen this show, do you like it? I, for one, think of it as one of the best cartoons in the last 4 or so years, and I truly think it is as good as most of the 90's cartoons from my own, and nearly all of our childhoods (AND COME ON, PERRY THE PLATYPUS IS THE MOST AWESOME THING EVER). The music is catchy as hell, there are actually funny gags in it, and it just always finds new ways to keep you watching. Yes, the show's plot is extremely repetitive, but the gags/subversions/pretty much every other element in the show besides story structure make up for it. If anyone hasn't seen this show, I suggest them to give it a try. Because I really think a good amount of this forum would actually like this show.

For even MORE info on this show, I shall direct you to the TVTropes page: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PhineasAndFerb

Night the Lucario

Two words: The Evaporaternator(am I spelling that right? Even remembering it right?)

"When I was a young boy, my mother never let me swim in public pools."
"..."
"What? Does everything need to have a long, drawn out backstory?"

I heard this, looked up from my book, and thought, 'That was an actual conversation between the writer and at least one other person while they were trying to come up with a backstory for this.'
When one lives by the pen, one dies by the angry characters you misused. But it's too much fun not to!
Forsooth, I AM insane! FEAR ME, YE MORTALS, OR DESPAIR AT MY INSANITY! *insane cackling*
Ahem. Anyone have an RP? I need an outlet for my randomness. ;D
Think another thought, dream another dream, live another lie.
I'm writing poetry. Anyone have a request?
I'm Night the Lucario. Although that should be obvious. Just look at the sig. Or title and PT.

NiMa74

I believe the correct spelling is "Evaporate-Inator". Everything just has a tacked-on "-Inator" suffix. And yes, that may be. But pretty much EVERY element on this show is parodied from time to time. One time, I remember, [spoiler]Doofenshmirtz made an "Erase-Inator", or something like that, where all images that were shot with it were erased. This happens, just as Candace gets a picture of what Phineas and Ferb are doing. His invention misses the camera she has every time. And then, right when she gets to the door, a puddle of water splashes her and the camera, destroying it.[/spoiler] Pulled off perfectly.

Java

I love Phineas and Ferb, and I'm actually surprised that not many people here do (assuming by the lack of posts).
I find it to be extremely well done and pretty clever too.
I'm glad that there's at least one good cartoon out there. Takes me back to the good ol' days.

Shujinco2

I do love this show. It is actually one of the few shows now days I can actually watch, let alone even enjoy.

Quote from: NiMa74 on June 06, 2010, 06:29:23 PMAlso, there is a song nearly every episode, most of which are incredibly catchy and WILL get stuck in your head for quite some time.
Very very true.

Fish

I too enjoy this show. Only cartoon show that is worth watching now. =)

Silverhawk79

Surprisingly, I quite enjoy this show, despite it being on Disney Channel.

Light

Yeah, I like it. It's mostly hit or miss for me, but when it's good, it's very good.
Holy crap all my sigs were always poop. Best leave this space alone.

RX-78-2

I love this show. It's clever and suited for all ages to enjoy. It's never unbearably immature, the songs are great, and the characters are easy to sympathize with.

One song in particular that's very funny and awesome is "Squirrel in My Pants." I might edit the video into this post later and/or when this thread grows a bit. Alternatively, you can find it on YouTube.
I dunno hao 2 put imgs heer :(

****************Mack was here******************

Lippers

This show intercourse ing rocks.

At first I caught Alex & the kids watching it - and him being all goofy grinning at it.. you know... that's the time when I roll my eyes and leave the room.

BUT.

I happened to catch a couple episodes with them and was like HELL YEA this show rocks. Well not out loud. Yanno. Cuz kids.

We have the soundtrack... it's great XD

"liitle brothers..... little brothers.

Cuz you're younger, we're related and your BOYS"

etc.

/geekout

Lotos

Quote from: Lippers on July 18, 2010, 08:01:16 PM
We have the soundtrack... it's great XD

Just bought it in Disney :D  I'm hoping for a Season 1 DVD release, but I guess they're doing it in volumes :|

Potestas

I love this show. The Dutch dub is actually pretty good and I love how they dubbed Doof in it. They manage to give him a better German accent than the original.

Click the sig to level it up. Go to Ichimonai.com to learn more.