News:

<Clu> no nsfcd is basically a ghost town, it should be killed behind fences

Main Menu

Shitty poop of the poop generation

Started by The Riddler, October 02, 2010, 10:50:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Riddler

I grew up on classic Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, and Disney. I remember when WB was WB and it played Pokemon on Saturday mornings.

I also remember a time when Spongebob was actually funny.

So, what happened?
What's with all of today's cartoons? Kid stuff, adult stuff, it's all sheer poop.
Why is everything being dumbed down so much? Is the worlds cartoon watching population suddenly retarded?

Current List of my hates:
Anything Disney pulls out of their ass.
Chowder
Flapjack
Adventure Time
Fanboy and Chumchum
Spongebob
Pretty much everything.
Squidbillies

DISCUSS.

Light

Quote from: It's ROBBIE! on October 02, 2010, 10:50:45 PM
Chowder
Adventure Time
AT and Chowder can be good, and I don't know what you're smoking if you're including PatF and Tangled on the Disney thing. But I do agree that most all cartoons nowadays are pretty bad. CN seems to be trying to make a recovery with AT, Regular Show, and Sym-Bionic Titan, though.
Holy crap all my sigs were always poop. Best leave this space alone.

The Riddler

Quote from: Light on October 03, 2010, 01:01:41 AM
AT and Chowder can be good, and I don't know what you're smoking if you're including PatF and Tangled on the Disney thing. But I do agree that most all cartoons nowadays are pretty bad. CN seems to be trying to make a recovery with AT, Regular Show, and Sym-Bionic Titan, though.
I'm talking about TV shows. Not movies.

AT is meh. It only gets points for being based on RPGs. Chowder is sheer poop. It's a Spongebob ripoff that gets off on fat jokes. It's not funny, and it's art is terribad.

Nayrman

The problem is that we've devolved back into the "cartoons are for kids! AND KIDS ARE DUMB AND DON'T UNDERSTAND ANYTHING!"

We got much better shows in the late 80's and early 90's. Both Disney and WB had blocks of time specifically for their older shorts, so we grew up with the classics. We also got much better writing in our shows. Animaniacs, Batman the Animated Series, and a lot of Nick and CN shows just had really good writing to go with their creative ideas. Rugrats, Dexter's Lab, and so forth had a much better quality of talent working on it. They took what was great about the older cartoons and updated them for then modern times.

Neerb

I agree with Nayr; the reason most shows today suck is because people don't think kids have the same mental capacity as the kids from the 90s. However, I think that's exactly why Adventure Time and Chowder are/were so good; near-cursing and other adult humor, 4th wall breaking, parodies, and flat out nonsense are what DEFINED most good 90s cartoons.

Now, what I hate:
ALL OF CURRENT NICK except for Penguins of Madagascar, and even that's only sometimes
ALL OF DISNEY CHANNEL except for their one cartoon, Phineas & Ferb, which is ironically one of the best cartoons on TV
Cartoon Network is surprisingly decent right now if you don't count Johnny Test and those Canadian shows, but FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS ANIMATED, YOU CANNOT MAKE GOOD LIVE ACTION SHOWS OR MOVIES, CARTOON NETWORK!!!!!!!!!!!!

Macawmoses

One of the  big issues here is stricter enforcement of "educational programming." Word Girl is the epitome of poopty animation aimed at making kids smarter in a very pathetic way.

The thing is, they just didn't get that Pokemon could teach you life lessons. Or anything with any amount of comedy or violence. It's sad.

Zero

Not sure why you hate Flapjack. It's the closest thing CN has to its older shows, and it really does have its moments. I don't like Chowder but then again I've only watched one episode, if that.

I can tolerate Spongebob. Spongebob debuted in 99 and is the only "old" Nick show around anymore(Fairly Oddparents is around too I guess), on top of that, it has pretty good writing and can be legitimately funny, even though recently the episodes seem to be focused on Spongebob's flamboyant nature and the plots usually involve intercourse ing with Squidward.

I don't really watch any of these shows you guys are talking about(FB&CC, AT, etc) so I don't have any opinion on them. I don't watch TV much anyway, lol.

Though, I did buy the Johnny Bravo and Courage Season 1 box sets, like, day 1. I plan on buying the Dexter Box sets too. I honestly can't wait.

JrDude

Adventure Time, I never gave much of a chance, but the small amount of episodes I saw weren't horrible compared to most. Chowder and Flapjack are basically the same dumb thing and I don't like them. I also agree that Penguins of Madagascar has its good moments.
But other than that, seriously, cartoons suck now days.
[move][/move]
Dude .

Tupin

Flash is the worst thing to ever happen to TV cartoons. It just looks cheap.

Quote from: SkyMyl
Tuppy frightens me with his knowledge of legacy technology.

Homewrecker

Homewrecker

Quote from: It's ROBBIE! on October 03, 2010, 01:22:17 AM

AT is meh. It only gets points for being based on RPGs. Chowder is sheer poop. It's a Spongebob ripoff that gets off on fat jokes. It's not funny, and it's art is terribad.
wait whaaaaaaaaat

the art design alone is meticulously done, let alone the hand drawn animation and clever use of stop motion

Magnum

Honestly, I don't like any cartoons except for the classics, and it's not because I won't give them a chance. I've had plenty of chances now that my niece is growing older. They just all suck.

Oh Vesperia, never change... never change

Silverhawk79

I used to enjoy stuff like Family Guy (first few seasons were hilarious), but then Seth turned it into his own political soapbox, and it's lame now.

Custom

Quote from: It's ROBBIE! on October 03, 2010, 01:22:17 AM

you're on drugs
except for the chowder and spongebob parts those suck

Quote from: Viewtifulboy on March 11, 2013, 07:28:20 AM
Good job! I, Viewtifulboy, declare you the CHAMPION!

I'm the official winner of the Viewtiful Victory roleplay championship!

TheDarkChief

Quote from: It's ROBBIE! on October 02, 2010, 10:50:45 PM
Chowder
Flapjack
Adventure Time

Fanboy and Chumchum
Spongebob
Pretty much everything.
Squidbillies

DISCUSS.
discuss what, your inability to laugh at funny things?
i mean half of your list is right, but jeez, those three i bolded are still funny you idiot