News:

<Clu> no nsfcd is basically a ghost town, it should be killed behind fences

Main Menu

Need major help! Super Luxray!

Started by Y?ESH, April 27, 2009, 04:54:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Y?ESH

One of my friends recently EV trained his Luxray to the max in speed and attack, and I'm pretty freaked to fight him. He has all the elemental fangs; ice fang, fire fang, thunder fang, and crunch... This basically means:

1: He always gets to attack first

2: Can usually one shot anything

3: The liklihood of his Luxray getting a super effective hit on me is high...

WHAT SHOULD I DO?!
MAH BOI

jnfs2014

Flygon, Dragonite, Salamence. Choose one.

Macawmoses

Depending on the bites and a max 262 speed? Heh.

I'm just picking something from thin air, but Quagsire seems reasonable. Ice Fang only does neutral damage (Ice does 1/2 to water, and 2 to ground...balancing out to a normal attack)....with only 65 power and 95% accuracy (mind you, you can flinch/freeze with a hit). That would be rare though.

You'd want to send it on a predicted Thunder Fang, let him rally back with the inevitable Ice Fang, then smash it with Double Effective Earthquake (much stronger before typing then Ice Fang). If in doubt, use protect to forecast his next move. Other two moves would probably be Surf and Stone Edge (if there are other threats), or consider Yawn to hit with EQ....

...or, Yawn on the switch in to Thunder Fang, Protect for a turn, and then let loose with EQ.

Macawmoses

Quote from: JNFS2014 on April 27, 2009, 04:58:23 PM
Usually I'd edit, but Ice Fang. Bye bye dragons, especially Flygon.

jnfs2014

Quote from: Macbeth on April 27, 2009, 05:03:30 PM
Depending on the bites and a max 262 speed? Heh.

I'm just picking something from thin air, but Quagsire seems reasonable. Ice Fang only does neutral damage (Ice does 1/2 to water, and 2 to ground...balancing out to a normal attack)....with only 65 power and 95% accuracy (mind you, you can flinch/freeze with a hit). That would be rare though.

You'd want to send it on a predicted Thunder Fang, let him rally back with the inevitable Ice Fang, then smash it with Double Effective Earthquake (much stronger before typing then Ice Fang). If in doubt, use protect to forecast his next move. Other two moves would probably be Surf and Stone Edge (if there are other threats), or consider Yawn to hit with EQ.
Um, Swampert>Quagsire.

Quote from: Macbeth on April 27, 2009, 05:04:00 PM
Quote from: JNFS2014 on April 27, 2009, 04:58:23 PM
Usually I'd edit, but Ice Fang. Bye bye dragons, especially Flygon.
Um....maybe not Flygon, but Salamence and Garchomp.

Or you could draw T-punch, switch to E-vire, and EQ.

Macawmoses

If you're going to have the speed disadvantage, there is no point. Quag has access to yawn AND protect, while Swampy only has the latter. I see quagsire as more valuable with Water Absorb, as well, as you can regenerate with much more ease.

jnfs2014

DededeCloneChris

How about Kingdra? It only has one weakness.

Why not use Trick Room?

Confuse Ray + Attract + Paralyze = Big problem.

Macawmoses

Quote from: wiiboychris on April 27, 2009, 05:27:48 PM

Why not use Trick Room?

You're talking gibberish. Kingdra is 1(and a half)  all across in terms of the attacks it will receive, yes...but that means little. You're still looking at possible stat issues - namely paralysis and frozen. Trick Room also requires a setup that may or may not be effectively stalled out (keeping in mind it counts as a turn itself)...ignoring the fact Kingdra outspeeds Luxray. If those were separate points...TR is too complicated and Kingdra not overly effective.

DededeCloneChris

Quote from: Macbeth on April 27, 2009, 05:33:20 PM
Quote from: wiiboychris on April 27, 2009, 05:27:48 PM

Why not use Trick Room?

You're talking gibberish. Kingdra is 1(and a half)  all across in terms of the attacks it will receive, yes...but that means little. You're still looking at possible stat issues - namely paralysis and frozen. Trick Room also requires a setup that may or may not be effectively stalled out (keeping in mind it counts as a turn itself)...ignoring the fact Kingdra outspeeds Luxray. If those were separate points...TR is too complicated and Kingdra not overly effective.
Oh well, at least I tried.

You're screwed, dude, unless you go with Legendaries.

jnfs2014

SWITCH ELECTIVIRE ON A THUNDER FANG AND RECEIVE A SPEED BOOST. THEN OHKO WITH EARTHQUAKE.

DededeCloneChris

Quote from: JNFS2014 on April 27, 2009, 05:41:31 PM
SWITCH ELECTIVIRE ON A THUNDER FANG AND RECEIVE A SPEED BOOST. THEN OHKO WITH EARTHQUAKE.
Then have a flying type first, then swap for Electivire.

Better yet, one with U-Turn.

jnfs2014

Quote from: wiiboychris on April 27, 2009, 05:50:22 PM
Quote from: JNFS2014 on April 27, 2009, 05:41:31 PM
Then have a flying type first, then swap for Electivire.

Better yet, one with U-Turn.
MAYBE NINJASK. OR BP GYARADOS.

Y?ESH

Alright people, thanks for your help. I'll probably try the Quagsire method, because it just seems like the most basic and safest choice to counter his Luxtray. I believe it's defence REALLY suffers, so as long as I can just SURVIVE a hit from him, I'll freak him out.

I also like the U-Turn strategy too, WiiBoyChris, JNFS. :P I'll keep it in mind for another battle, and try to catch him off guard. :)
MAH BOI

Juliette

Swampert, set up SR and make it switch in a few times.
...or you could revenge kill it.