News:

ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL.

Main Menu

Sup

Started by Wedge, February 01, 2010, 08:23:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wedge

So basically, I decided to get back into Pokemon again and I've started to become more active on Smogon. I'm here to answer any of your Pokemon needs. Between me, Drez, and mack, we'll get you some sort of answer.

Kayo

add me to that list, i'm sort of a Poké-nerd. :(
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

RX-78-2

I have a question.

Why do some Trainers EV Train a Pokémon in this way?
Quote248 HP / 248 Def / 12 Spe
[from one of ???'s posts in the "team help" thread on this board]
Wouldn't that 12 in Speed just give an extra 3 points for the base stat? Does it really have an effect in-game? I'm not into the metagame so much, so I may have read (or misread) some (mis)information. Thanks in advance.
I dunno hao 2 put imgs heer :(

****************Mack was here******************

DededeCloneChris

I don't understand how the thing works at all. There are instructions, but they seem a little bit vague to me. I guess I just don't understand.

Drezford_the_Rebell

Quote from: HorribleToad on February 03, 2010, 06:01:25 PM
I have a question.

Why do some Trainers EV Train a Pokémon in this way?Wouldn't that 12 in Speed just give an extra 3 points for the base stat? Does it really have an effect in-game? I'm not into the metagame so much, so I may have read (or misread) some (mis)information. Thanks in advance.

In Comp Battling those little "extra" bits are to outspeed other things by "just enough." Usually it's after it has enough attack/defense so that 3 points wouldn't make much of a difference eg. it has enough to 2hko with the points and without, and the points aren't enough to make it into a OHKO.

RX-78-2

Quote from: Drezford_the_Rebell on February 03, 2010, 08:51:30 PM
In Comp Battling those little "extra" bits are to outspeed other things by "just enough." Usually it's after it has enough attack/defense so that 3 points wouldn't make much of a difference eg. it has enough to 2hko with the points and without, and the points aren't enough to make it into a OHKO.
Oh! That explains it very well! :) However, this strategy assumes that the opponent Pokémon doesn't have any extra EV's in whatever stat it's trying to outperform. Does that sound right? Thanks very much.

Macawmoses

Wedge get back here I didn't see this D:

Wedge

Quote from: HorribleToad on February 03, 2010, 06:01:25 PM
I have a question.

Why do some Trainers EV Train a Pokémon in this way?Wouldn't that 12 in Speed just give an extra 3 points for the base stat? Does it really have an effect in-game? I'm not into the metagame so much, so I may have read (or misread) some (mis)information. Thanks in advance.

That particular spread is for, I believe, the ResTalk Gyarados set, correct?

The 248 HP is an attempt to almost max out HP, but still retaining an odd max to offset Stealth Rock damage so Gyarados can switch in 4 times w/o lefties and 5 times with

248 Defense is an attempt to max out defense, but keep enough for speed.

That 12 speed outruns base 80 Pokemon that don't invest in speed or invest very little in it, such as maybe Togekiss

When making an EV spread, the purpose is to allow the Pokemon to do certain things:

HP: Survive a particular hit, or something to do with entry hazards
Attack/SpAtk: Particular 2HKO/OHKO
Def/Sp.Def: Survive a particular hit or turn it into a 2hko/3hko
Speed: Outspeed a certain pokemon/group

RX-78-2

Quote from: Wedge on February 05, 2010, 07:58:49 PM
That particular spread is for, I believe, the ResTalk Gyarados set, correct?

The 248 HP is an attempt to almost max out HP, but still retaining an odd max to offset Stealth Rock damage so Gyarados can switch in 4 times w/o lefties and 5 times with

248 Defense is an attempt to max out defense, but keep enough for speed.

That 12 speed outruns base 80 Pokemon that don't invest in speed or invest very little in it, such as maybe Togekiss

When making an EV spread, the purpose is to allow the Pokemon to do certain things:

HP: Survive a particular hit, or something to do with entry hazards
Attack/SpAtk: Particular 2HKO/OHKO
Def/Sp.Def: Survive a particular hit or turn it into a 2hko/3hko
Speed: Outspeed a certain pokemon/group
Well I do know what EV's do, but thanks for going into detail. And yes, it's for "ResTalk Gyarados," as it's seen in another thread.

However, what's a "lefty?" And do people really plan their Pokémon down to the random numbers (as in IV's and stuff)? That's one thing that I really don't like about competitive battling. People use a lot of the same strategies/copy other people's strategies, do cheap stuff (I guess that comes with every competitive game though), etc. Thanks for the help though.

jnfs2014

Sup dude. Glad you're back. :)

Oh, and I'm pretty sure "lefties" are Leftovers. ;)

RX-78-2

Thanks Violet. :)