News:

Our thoughts go to Silver and his family in this difficult time.

Main Menu

I'm getting better...

Started by Zora Link, January 03, 2008, 04:05:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dawei

Quote from: Apollo on January 04, 2008, 11:04:53 AM
Quote from: Dawei on January 03, 2008, 07:06:07 PM
Quote from: Nayrman on January 03, 2008, 07:02:15 PM
Quote from: Dawei on January 03, 2008, 07:00:29 PM
Quote from: Nayrman on January 03, 2008, 06:43:03 PM
Quote from: Dawei on January 03, 2008, 06:37:55 PM
You sound just like a friend of mine used to sound. When we first started Smash together, he would play at Big blue, Onett, stages like that. He would run. With stages like that, it is a lot easier to screw up, and harder to recover. I would beat him every time until we played at Big Blue, and I would lose because I would end up falling right through the cars. I just had to get him to start playing the "skill" stages more and he got used to them. Not he hates Big blue and Onett.

Once again, Nayrman sums it up wonderfully.
I actually like Big Blue every ONCE in a while (for fun purposes), just becaues it's impossible to do anything.
You do anything just for fun in this game or are you one of those serious people only? (nothing is wrong with the latter...just curious)
I don't see how people think that if you play the game seriously, you can't have fun. Out of my 4 smash friends, 1 is kind of casual so when we play with him we have to do some slightly off stages, and occasionally with items. We even have some "How Sakurai originally intended it to be played" days where we just play with items on medium and standard stock. I saw my friend L-canceling once and I exclaimed "That is NOT what Sakurai intended".

It's just when someone wants to show off something new they've learned, or see if they are better than someone else, playing with items and the banned stages is hypocrisy.
Thats true. I love turning on all explosive items only and seeing how that works out. Items are actually the most fun thing when I'm messing around with it.
Too bad I knew a few too many people who take it too seriously...
Me and my friends will sometimes have damage ratio 2.0 lighting melee with bomb ombs on very high at big blue or pokeballs very high on Pokemon stadium when we are bored as f***. I'd just rather play a tournament style match than a "casual" style one.
me too. once youve played evrey inch of the game you learn to love tournaments.
thats my favorite thing to play.
we get a bunch of people together and we each get to pick two characters to enter a 64 person tourney.
That isn't really a tourney. No real tournament uses that for tourneys. I said Tournament style, not tournament  64 person asdfhjadv.

4 stock, 8 minutes, tournament legal stages (I listed them on this page and the previous one).

Apollo

Quote from: Dawei on January 04, 2008, 11:11:26 AM
Quote from: Apollo on January 04, 2008, 11:04:53 AM
Quote from: Dawei on January 03, 2008, 07:06:07 PM
Quote from: Nayrman on January 03, 2008, 07:02:15 PM
Quote from: Dawei on January 03, 2008, 07:00:29 PM
Quote from: Nayrman on January 03, 2008, 06:43:03 PM
Quote from: Dawei on January 03, 2008, 06:37:55 PM
You sound just like a friend of mine used to sound. When we first started Smash together, he would play at Big blue, Onett, stages like that. He would run. With stages like that, it is a lot easier to screw up, and harder to recover. I would beat him every time until we played at Big Blue, and I would lose because I would end up falling right through the cars. I just had to get him to start playing the "skill" stages more and he got used to them. Not he hates Big blue and Onett.

Once again, Nayrman sums it up wonderfully.
I actually like Big Blue every ONCE in a while (for fun purposes), just becaues it's impossible to do anything.
You do anything just for fun in this game or are you one of those serious people only? (nothing is wrong with the latter...just curious)
I don't see how people think that if you play the game seriously, you can't have fun. Out of my 4 smash friends, 1 is kind of casual so when we play with him we have to do some slightly off stages, and occasionally with items. We even have some "How Sakurai originally intended it to be played" days where we just play with items on medium and standard stock. I saw my friend L-canceling once and I exclaimed "That is NOT what Sakurai intended".

It's just when someone wants to show off something new they've learned, or see if they are better than someone else, playing with items and the banned stages is hypocrisy.
Thats true. I love turning on all explosive items only and seeing how that works out. Items are actually the most fun thing when I'm messing around with it.
Too bad I knew a few too many people who take it too seriously...
Me and my friends will sometimes have damage ratio 2.0 lighting melee with bomb ombs on very high at big blue or pokeballs very high on Pokemon stadium when we are bored as f***. I'd just rather play a tournament style match than a "casual" style one.
me too. once youve played evrey inch of the game you learn to love tournaments.
thats my favorite thing to play.
we get a bunch of people together and we each get to pick two characters to enter a 64 person tourney.
That isn't really a tourney. No real tournament uses that for tourneys. I said Tournament style, not tournament  64 person asdfhjadv.

4 stock, 8 minutes, tournament legal stages (I listed them on this page and the previous one).
well ive never really gone to a "real" tourney, but my friends and i play that all they time.

Dawei

You don't have to go to a real tourney to know and use tourney rules. Before I even thought about going to a tourney I was using them.

Apollo

Quote from: Dawei on January 04, 2008, 11:18:12 AM
You don't have to go to a real tourney to know and use tourney rules. Before I even thought about going to a tourney I was using them.
yeah ill learn em when brawl comes out.
i cant wait.
i wish they would start a melee scoreboard on ssb forums.

tollhouse2006

Actually, Dawei said not to face level 9s for practice.  I beg to differ.  It may not be good training for anybody but I trained for hours against level 9s when I was rookie (Ah good times...) and I was able to hold my own against my friend whose been playing for 6 years and he's really good.  He used Kirby and I used Fox.   I still lost but put a good fight.   Now, we are equally matched or so we think.  I practice every day.  When I was starting out I used Fox and fought every level in order from 1 to 9 no items on Hyrule or Corneria.   I noticed that Dawei warned about not playing with the computers much and it would effect your gameplay with other players, but if you have a sibling or a friend that comes over often you should get good real fast.  All the computers should be easy to kill. 
Friend Code: 2622-1690-4267  Finally have wifi

evilflame101

wait.... are you saying that you lost to lv 5's? HMM... are you emotionally attached to pikachu? You should try another character, because pikachu is low tier, and not i am not one of those people who says tier lists are the order of how good they are, when i say tier i am refering to the skill it takes to become good with a character. If a person is low tier it will take much more skill to become decent with them, where as someone playing with a high tier character can become decent with him without as much skill. If i were you i would pick someone up like Falcon, Samus, luigi, there are alot of other characters, but if you want to be good with pikachu i sugest reading this...

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=39789

this is a guide how to play pikachu well. I also suggest watching videos on youtube. Another thing i suggest if you are not already doing it, is one on one matches, they are much more fun, are a little easier then huge battles, and they force you to think on your feet. The entire ideo of the game is prediction and punishment. You must predict your opponent, and then punish them for what they did. I use samus, if i am facing fox, and he is using his up b to recover, i can predict where he is going to go, and spike him for a ko. Also use pikachu's down smash when someone is next to you, use shielding and rollling and dodgeing alot, that will help good luck!

evilflame101

Quote from: tollhouse2006 on January 04, 2008, 01:58:49 PM
Actually, Dawei said not to face level 9s for practice.  I beg to differ.  It may not be good training for anybody but I trained for hours against level 9s when I was rookie (Ah good times...) and I was able to hold my own against my friend whose been playing for 6 years and he's really good.  He used Kirby and I used Fox.   I still lost but put a good fight.   Now, we are equally matched or so we think.  I practice every day.  When I was starting out I used Fox and fought every level in order from 1 to 9 no items on Hyrule or Corneria.   I noticed that Dawei warned about not playing with the computers much and it would effect your gameplay with other players, but if you have a sibling or a friend that comes over often you should get good real fast.  All the computers should be easy to kill. 

well fighting computer characters is better then nothing, but lets just say it should be easy, i mean yesterday i fougth a lv 9 fox 5 stock no items, and koed him all 5 times with out dieing. It should be easy, i sugest readin gthe post i posted before this it will help sooo much!

Dawei

Quote from: tollhouse2006 on January 04, 2008, 01:58:49 PM
Why not practice on level 9s? Because they have in-human reflexes. Choose fox, go to a flat stage (Preferably FD) and just sit there and blaster. See how much damage you take from power shielding (when they uses right when the blaster is about to hit them and it bounces it back). Now, go against a human and do the same thing. Their reflexes will be no where near the comps. There are so many things like that. Level 8s are just level 9s with more realistic reflexes.

I have a friend who plays Melee about as often as I do. We decided that on friday, we would have some matches together to see who was better. He played with his brother that week, and I played with a level 8 comp. Want to take a guess who won?

I tried many things that worked on comps, but they were futile against him. He knew what would work, and I didn't. He had mindgames, mine were failing because of the "people I spar with". We then went on play matches together, and I got better and was able to fair well enough/win. You should play with computers as little as you can, and when you do, use 1s because you shouldn't take them seriously, and 5s because while they still have random DI, they will put up a bit more of a fight than 1s. Comps are only good when you are first starting out (like you said you were) but once you get good again, you shouldn't.

Also, Hyrule temple? blah;

Zora Link

I'm gonna have to stay with Dawei on this one...
this thread is getting to spammy...
*makes another one with updates*