News:

Our thoughts go to Silver and his family in this difficult time.

Main Menu

Who is your main for melee?

Started by Zora Link, January 04, 2008, 05:16:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zora Link

for me...pikachu is my main,
you know...just curious. Get to know all of you better through non-personal information. XD

Dawei

I main Fox in Melee, though I'm thinking about switching to Falco. I just need to get over his recovery.

Don't know who I will be in Brawl. I don't pick characters just because of who they are. I have to play them first.

Apollo

Quote from: Dawei on January 04, 2008, 05:20:00 PM
I main Fox in Melee, though I'm thinking about switching to Falco. I just need to get over his recovery.

Don't know who I will be in Brawl. I don't pick characters just because of who they are. I have to play them first.
me too
but i cant wait to try our pit first

Zora Link

I'm assuming pikachu is mostly the same, so I'm making my assumption off of that...maybe we won't worry about Brawl characters. :D

Dawei

Quote from: Zora Link on January 04, 2008, 05:28:15 PM

I'm assuming pikachu is mostly the same, so I'm making my assumption off of that...maybe we won't worry about Brawl characters. :D
Let's do the little rat character next. Pikachu is back and he's certainly seemed to receive some buffs, or perhaps I should say some... alterations. Pikachu is pretty quick in this game, compared to the rest of the characters in the game he is probably still about the same in this regard (please note that this does not mean he is the exact same speed, but when compared to the rest of the cast, the speed between everyone puts him in a similar spot). Pikachu seems to have a lot of combo ability. His down throw looks like one of the only throws that has a potential chain throw (although it can be DI'd out of from what we saw) and it also is one that you can combo with (with the apparent new throwing mechanics that seems like a bigger deal than I can make of it through this writing). Pikachu's up airs combo better than they did in melee in this game from what I can tell, they do decent damage and it is easy enough to string them together. It also does NOT spike in the same fashion in this game. It hits the opponent straight up and not very far – perfect for comboing. Pika's forward air seems to work more similarly to the smash 64 version than the melee version, meaning it looks like it will be a little bit more viable for comboing than it was in Melee. Pikachu's up tilt also has received a nice buff; it has more range on all sides and is a nice setup; overall Pikachu seems like he's a pretty good character.

Now let's move onto his specials, which appeared to receive some nice buffs, well, at least one of them did. His neutral b seems to be just as effective (or ineffective) as it was in melee. Still does basically the same thing, doesn't seem to be much faster or do any kind of extra knock back or anything. His over b does more or less the same thing. According to T0MMY it can be charged for longer in this game than in Melee, but it doesn't seem to be too drastic of a change. Keep in mind that you CAN sweet spot with this move now due to the new sweet spot mechanics. Pikachu's up b seems to be the same as it was in melee, doing the small percentage of damage and knock back after quickly passing through an opponent. The most massively and obviously improved move of Pikachu's is his down b thunder. This move is MUCH faster to activate and has VERY little lag. From what we saw it doesn't look like it has the cloud at the top, I'm unsure if it actually comes down from the absolute top of the screen, but it does go noticeably higher. The knock back on the move is also more vertical, it seems like killing off the top for Pikachu has become much easier through this move. His Down B is simply more viable now, I'm sure that this move will find a lot of uses in Brawl.

Let's get back to his regular moves now. I've already discussed some of his combo moves and now I'll move onto his smash attacks. Pikachu's might up smash from Melee has sadly seen some nerfs, and its more than just the characters living for a higher average percent, the move just doesn't seem to have the power that it did in melee, although the speed and applications seemed mostly the same. His forward smash has more range, I'm not really sure if it has any changes to knock back. The big one here is his shiny new down smash. If you were looking for Peach's dsmash you wouldn't find it on peach, you'd find it here. Pikachu's down smash is MASSIVELY improved in brawl. It is likely going to be one of the primary ways you'll get kills with Pikachu. This move sucks you in, if you shield it sometimes it damages your shield well enough to get a hit out of it. The move does a good amount of percent (around 25% or so I think) and does an absolute ton of vertically knock back. Festizzio was one of the main players using him at the event and he remembers doing a down smash on a fox at around 90% and it killed him off the top.

Overall Pikachu is better than he was in Melee, compared to the rest of the cast at the demo at least. The one big thing that Pikachu seemed to lack in Melee, range, was increased substantially in Brawl. His priority also seems to be better, and he might have even more killing potential this time, he doesn't seem to have to spam up smashes or neutral off the stage exclusively to get kills this time (calm down Pikachu mains I know that's not exactly how it is), but he just generally seems to have some nice improvements, he seems to be good in almost every regard. Speed, knock back, setups, recovery - Pikachu is good, not great, in all of these areas.

Everything to know about Brawl Pikachu :D

Qsmash

My current main is Fox. If I don't like the changes that they made to him in Brawl then it might be Meta Knight, Diddy Kong, or Lucas.

Apollo

WOW Dawei that was awesome. Way to go above expectations.

Dawei

Quote from: Apollo on January 04, 2008, 05:37:32 PM
Thanks, but I didn't write it. :P

Gimpyfish (a professional Bowser player) wrote it from playing with him at E4all. He wrote about every character. I just copypasta'd it from his thread on smashboards.

THEBIRD

Hm, I knew a guy named Jimplefish once, wonder if they are the same guy...

Anyway, I want to try out Sonic, Metaknight, and Link. My Melee guy is Link, he has all the long ranged attacks and close up ones as well. But, with Sonic and Metaknight, this may change. I'll have to try everyone out and see what they're like and who I'm best with.

StarWindWizard7

Triforce_Luigi

Quote from: Dawei on January 04, 2008, 05:41:18 PM

GimpyFish (a professional Bowser player) wrote it from playing with him at E4all. He wrote about every character. I just copypasta'd it from his thread on smashboards.

Dawei, can you give me a link to this thread of which you speak? I'll vote for you!

Apollo

GimpyFish (a professional Bowser player) wrote it from playing with him at E4all. He wrote about every character. I just copypasta'd it from his thread on smashboards.
ohhhhh
never mind.
nice job pasting though lol

Dawei

Quote from: Triforce_Luigi on January 04, 2008, 05:49:15 PM

Dawei, can you give me a link to this thread of which you speak? I'll vote for you!
It's here. You'll find everything known about the e4all demo.

NOW VOTE

Triforce_Luigi

Quote from: Dawei on January 04, 2008, 05:51:05 PM

NOW VOTE
Where do I vote?

Dawei

Quote from: Triforce_Luigi on January 04, 2008, 05:55:10 PM
Quote from: Dawei on January 04, 2008, 05:51:05 PM

NOW VOTE
Where do I vote?
At http://nsiderforums.net/index.php?topic=15444.0

HOLY CRAP I DIDNT HYPER LINK