News:

Change is coming. HOPE CHANGE UNITY

Main Menu

ITT top ten bands

Started by major tom, January 22, 2008, 04:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

major tom

Quote from: Tahrann on January 24, 2008, 06:27:28 PM
Meh... ok list there, but normal rock isn't my cup 'o tea.
Then what is?

Quote from: Driftr on January 24, 2008, 06:38:28 PM
I really don't think these are the most talented musicians out there (sans Beatles, Queen and GnR), but they are some of my personal favorite groups.
For serious? Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, and Cream are three of the most talented bands EVAR at both playing their instruments and writing music. The other seven are some of the greatest bands ever as well (Sex Pistols are the least 'talented' of all those, but they made punk big and changed music forever).

Lotos

Quote from: OneManFreakShow on January 23, 2008, 07:15:44 PM
Quote from: Co-Z on January 23, 2008, 04:08:52 PM
Alright, I'll torrent a BOC compilation and see how I like it.

You've never heard any songs of theirs?

Not even Don't Fear the Reaper? You know, it needs more cowbell?

I love Buck's Boogie ♥

How about a top 5?

GNR
Rage Against the Machine
DragonForce
Blue Öyster Cult
Metallica

major tom

All of those are good except DragonForce. I'm gonna be less of a dick than I usually am about musical opinions and just say I dislike their music. All their songs sound the same and their lyrics suck, A LOT. I used to like them but they got annoying.

Herman Li is a great guitarist. But he feels insecure in how good he is at guitar, so he uses computers to make his solos better. Big disappointment to people who used to think it was real.

Tahrann

Quote from: Co-Z on January 24, 2008, 08:19:17 PM
[quvoote author=Tahrann link=topic=18034.msg241828#msg241828 date=1201224448]
Meh... ok list there, but normal rock isn't my cup 'o tea.
Then what is?
[/quote]

Metal, scremo, hard rock.
Puts the lotion on the skin or it gets the hose again!

major tom

Quote from: Tahrann on January 24, 2008, 08:56:24 PM
Screamo = eww.

What do you mean by metal and hard rock? Those can be general or specific, give some examples of what you like.

Tahrann

Quote from: Co-Z on January 24, 2008, 09:23:12 PM
Quote from: Tahrann on January 24, 2008, 08:56:24 PM
Screamo = eww.

What do you mean by metal and hard rock? Those can be general or specific, give some examples of what you like.

1. check my profile music. 2. Check out haste the day, demon hunter, he is legend, the showdown, spoken (some of their stuff is good), staple, underoath, the eyes have it, blindside, and beloved. Mostly all of that have some screamo stuff.

Screamo FTW!

major tom

What you listen to isn't hard rock... it's like, extreme/alt metal/<insert word here>core.

Zovistograt

as far as bands go, excluding single artists and other stuff like that (which rules out most electronica olol)

The Mars Volta (they are probably the best rock band that was formed after 2000.)
Daft Punk (hmm...yeah they're kind of a band...)
Pendulum (probably one of the most well-known DnB bands.  Famous for "Hold your Colour")
The Beatles (you can't have a top ten bands list without 'em)
The Rolling Stones (same)
The Black Mages (awesomeness.)
Sigur Rós (I normally don't like slow, dreamy stuff, but these guys pull it off amazingly)
Eurythmics (just for making one of the most virally catchy songs ever olol.)
Pink Floyd (inventive, all around good group to listen to if you're in the mood for some 80's rock)
DragonForce (Look, their songs sound awesome, I don't care if they're electronically enhanced.)
"I lovat a gabber.  I could listen to maure and moravar again.  Regn onder river.  Flies do your float.  Thick is the life for mere." - James Joyce (Finnegans Wake, page 213)

major tom

Quote from: Zovistograt on January 25, 2008, 01:25:02 PM
as far as bands go, excluding single artists and other stuff like that (which rules out most electronica olol)

The Mars Volta (they are probably the best rock band that was formed after 2000.)
Pendulum (probably one of the most well-known DnB bands.  Famous for "Hold your Colour")
Sigur Rós (I normally don't like slow, dreamy stuff, but these guys pull it off amazingly)
Pink Floyd (inventive, all around good group to listen to if you're in the mood for some 80's rock)
DragonForce (Look, their songs sound awesome, I don't care if they're electronically enhanced.)
This doesn't mean just bands, I meant bands as in 'top ten artists'. Like, some people put David Bowie on their list and he's not a band, he's a person.

Oh and Floyd is actually more of a 70s band.

Zovistograt

Quote from: Co-Z on January 25, 2008, 03:29:55 PM
Quote from: Zovistograt on January 25, 2008, 01:25:02 PM

This doesn't mean just bands, I meant bands as in 'top ten artists'. Like, some people put David Bowie on their list and he's not a band, he's a person.

really?

dangit lemme make a new list
"I lovat a gabber.  I could listen to maure and moravar again.  Regn onder river.  Flies do your float.  Thick is the life for mere." - James Joyce (Finnegans Wake, page 213)

Zovistograt

new list:

DJ Gammer
DJ Synthwulf
Daft Punk
The Mars Volta
Scott Brown
Weird Al
The Beatles
Pendulum
Ephexis
Jonathan Coulton

Tahrann

Quote from: Co-Z on January 25, 2008, 07:20:59 AM
What you listen to isn't hard rock... it's like, extreme/alt metal/<insert word here>core.

Yeah, thats most of my music. Funny thing, it is all Christian.

Kaz

Quote from: Co-Z on January 25, 2008, 03:29:55 PM

Yeah, considering Waters was out of the band completely by 1985, and their last famous album, The Wall, was released in 1982.

Yes, almost all of their greatest work was recorded during the 70s, though The Wall has at least a few good tunes despite being a relatively annoying album overall (so much filler, and Waters sounds like a baby the whole god darn time), and a little bit of the stuff from more recent Gilmour-led albums is actually pretty cool.

And of course, Pink Floyd in the 60s was pretty bland. Not necessarily bad, but just sort of boring. A few weird tunes here and there to speak of, but everything else was skip-worthy.
Quote<+Mithos> My mom grounded me for being gay.

major tom

The Wall came out in 1979, the movie came in '82.

I just finished torrenting the Piper at the Gates of Dawn (Been meaning to for a while) and I intercourse ing love it so far. Also, listen to the songs 'The Nile Song' and 'Ibiza Bar' from 1969's More. Pink Floyd doing hard rock. Awesome.

HoganM

My taste of music is divided >.>;
So here's my two lists:

The Different Bands

1)Modest Mouse
2)Phish
3)Dream Theater
4)Jethro Tull
5)Rush
6)The Mars VOlta
7)The Smashing Pumpkins
8)Yngwie Malmsteen