News:

UH SOMETHING BROKE HANG ON

Main Menu

Death Metal Anyone?

Started by tibar21, August 22, 2008, 09:44:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Metalbott

Quote from: tibar21 on October 26, 2008, 11:37:50 AM
most of the people that listen to death metal do it just to be different or bad ass. The Lead vocalist does not even have to know how to sing they just nedd to know how to scream. Besides the guitar riffs there is virtually no melody. I don't acknowledge death metal as music. it just flat out sucks.

You're...being kinda idiotic.

I could say people listen to classical just to try and be sophisticated. Or people listen to hip hop to try and be ghetto. Or people listen to Electronic because all they do is play video games. You are basing everything about the genre on stereotypes.

I listen to a bunch of Metal, and harsh vocals are extremely difficult to do. You just can't tell the difference between good and bad because you don't listed to any death metal. Any yet, you insult it.

That being said, many death metal bands have absolutely incredible clean singers. Scar symmetry, Soilwork. Both singers are classically trained.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX0p7Y3gND4
Go to 2:05

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAfRW_RMK4M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNP68roEQBY

You forget Drums on that talent part. Death metal drumming is considered to be the hardest, along with jazz.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fH72VUa-Fso
Fucking beautiful sweeps. Go to about...3:38 for awesomeness. 

Grindcore is a terrible genre. If you have to bash something, bash that.

tibar21

i have listened to countless death metal bands just to see what it was like. Next time ask me if I've ever tried it before saying I didn't. If death metal doesn't suck than why does 90% of death metal bands only last for one album? I'd have to say the most thrash death metal band I found was Braindrill.
Super Smash Bros Brawl FC: 2622-1690-4267
Pokemon Soul Silver FC: 4855-9306-7114
Mario Kart Wii FC: 4898-5017-8746

Beatnik

Quote from: tibar21 on November 12, 2008, 06:19:11 PM
i have listened to countless death metal bands just to see what it was like. Next time ask me if I've ever tried it before saying I didn't.
Can you blame him for assuming that you don't know what you're talking about? Especially when you factor in the fact that you don't know what you're talking about?

If death metal doesn't suck than why does 90% of death metal bands only last for one album?

The reason so many Death Metal bands break up after one album is because there's no money in it. Some bands like Cannibal Corpse and Death have released dozens of albums and EP's because they had commercial success, but the majority of bands don't get signed because the music doesn't appeal to mainstream audiences.

See, you can make a lot of money and intercourse  a lot of girls if you play simple stuff that appeals to the ignorant masses, like that atrocious pop-punk you listen to. Death metal isn't about money, glamor, or vagina-y. Death metal is about going to a little underground club that nobody has ever even heard of, the feeling of being thrown around in a mosh pit, the smell of sweat, the taste of blood in your mouth because you just got elbowed in the face by some guy, and the total sensory overload of the music hitting you like a tsunami of sound.

I may sound pretentious, but I'm not exaggerating. It's quite an experience.

Anyway, basing the quality of a genre on the way albums sell is like basing a review of a restaurant on how many people they've served. By your reasoning, my favorite restaurant (an amazing little german place called Jennifer's) is low quality because they generally only have a dozen or so people eating there on any given night. By your juvinile method of judging things, McDonalds would be a five star restaurant.

I'd have to say the most thrash death metal band I found was Braindrill.

Hahaha, alright, that one wasn't even a coherant sentence.
"I like cigarettes, Mrs. Taggart. I like to think of fire held in a man's hand. Fire, a dangerous force, tamed at his fingertips. I often wonder about the hours when a man sits alone, watching the smoke of a cigarette, thinking. I wonder what great things have come from such hours. When a man thinks, there is a spot of fire alive in his mind-and it is proper that he should have the burning point of a cigarette as his one expression..."

tibar21

at least in pop punk you can understand what they're saying. Death metal is the most atrocious genre in music.
Death metal bands only last for one record because people generally don't like it at all. When ever i tried listening to death meatal I couldn't even recognize the song structure. Face it death metal isn't popular because 9 out of 10 people think it sucks.
And by the way, being thrown around in a pit is what early punk rock was about, like the sex pistols and the clash. Punk rock pretty much invented pits once the sex pistols came up in 1975. And you don't need a drummer hitting a snare drum every split second with some guy screaming constantly to feel like you're getting hit by a tsunami of sound.
Just because I think death metal sucks doesn't mean I am to quick to judge. I don't even eat at McDonalds. Death metal may have some great blistering fast guitar, but if I wanted that I'd just listen to Dragonforce or Metallica.

Beatnik

Quote from: tibar21 on November 13, 2008, 05:05:04 PM
at least in pop punk you can understand what they're saying.

I can understand most of the death metal bands I listen to, but that's not even important. Music isn't about lyrics, music is about energy.

Quote from: tibar21 on November 13, 2008, 05:05:04 PMDeath metal is the most atrocious genre in music.

It really tickles me that you're reacting to death metal in the same way that people reacted to punk rock in the '70's.

Quote from: tibar21 on November 13, 2008, 05:05:04 PMDeath metal bands only last for one record because people generally don't like it at all. When ever i tried listening to death meatal I couldn't even recognize the song structure. Face it death metal isn't popular because 9 out of 10 people think it sucks.

9 out of 10 germans thought the holocaust was a swell idea. Popular opinion does not make something right.

Most people don't like death metal, that part is true, but it was never meant to appeal to "most people." It caters to a small audience of diehard fans. Just because you can't hear the intricacies of the music doesn't mean they don't exist.

Quote from: tibar21 on November 13, 2008, 05:05:04 PMAnd by the way, being thrown around in a pit is what early punk rock was about, like the sex pistols and the clash. Punk rock pretty much invented pits once the sex pistols came up in 1975.
I had a punk phase when I was young and stupid. You're not telling me anything I don't already know.

Quote from: tibar21 on November 13, 2008, 05:05:04 PMAnd you don't need a drummer hitting a snare drum every split second with some guy screaming constantly to feel like you're getting hit by a tsunami of sound.

True, but no other genre does it in the same way as death metal does.

Quote from: tibar21 on November 13, 2008, 05:05:04 PMJust because I think death metal sucks doesn't mean I am to quick to judge. I don't even eat at McDonalds. Death metal may have some great blistering fast guitar, but if I wanted that I'd just listen to Dragonforce or Metallica.

Ok, first off; Dragonforce is poop, and Metallica sold out harder than any other band in history.

Also, my post wasn't about McDonalds. I was making a metaphor.
"I like cigarettes, Mrs. Taggart. I like to think of fire held in a man's hand. Fire, a dangerous force, tamed at his fingertips. I often wonder about the hours when a man sits alone, watching the smoke of a cigarette, thinking. I wonder what great things have come from such hours. When a man thinks, there is a spot of fire alive in his mind-and it is proper that he should have the burning point of a cigarette as his one expression..."

Silverhawk79

I actually like metal, but I don't know if I have any music that constitutes 'death metal', per se.

Java

The way I see it is, well I just don't like death metal.
I'm not a fan of listening to really "heavy" music.

THAT BEING SAID, I'm not going to criticize you for what music you listen to.
Everyone's entitled to listen to what they like.

Quote from: Beatnik on November 13, 2008, 08:12:01 PM
Quote from: tibar21 on November 13, 2008, 05:05:04 PM
at least in pop punk you can understand what they're saying.

I can understand most of the death metal bands I listen to, but that's not even important. Music isn't about lyrics, music is about energy.
Not defending Tibar, but you really can't make a valid argument out of that.

Music is different to each person.
Some people prefer meaningful lyrics others prefer listening to the instruments.

Beatnik

My point was that basing your opinion of a band on their lyrics is a shallow way of listening to music. I say that music is about energy because if music didn't make you feel anything, we wouldn't listen to it.

metroidhunter777

Quote from: Beatnik on November 14, 2008, 03:00:53 PM
My point was that basing your opinion of a band on their lyrics is a shallow way of listening to music. I say that music is about energy because if music didn't make you feel anything, we wouldn't listen to it.

And, thus, music is entirely a point of one's opinion. There's no point in defending it or promoting it, unless that makes you feel good, I guess, because everyone has a different opinion that they won't get away from.

Basically, what I've heard of death metal is kinda blah to me. Like you said, the musical technicality exist, but they're covered over by the drums blast beats and double pedal and the singer's... screaming. If it was really about the music, then you'd have more of a front in the bass and guitar. I prefer stuff that just dishes out the insane musical coolness second after second. Which is why I listen mainly to progressive rock or metal, Rush and Dream Theater, for example. They play what appeals to me musical; intercourse ing impressive musicianship. I listen to mainstream metal, as well, such as Metallica, and, although true they sold out, they still make decent music. Load-St. Anger was crap, but everything before and after is wholly Metallica, maybe outside of The Black Album.  Again, Rush is mainstream, but barely; they just still have Tom Sawyer playing on the radio after 15 years. There was that brief sell-out period in the 90's, but they got over that. And Dream Theater... well, most people have never heard of them, so... ha.

So, you've explained what you enjoy musically... or, rather, physically, with the mosh pit and all that good stuff. And what I enjoy is completely different, being the musicianship or the solos or whatnot. No matter what, music is probably the biggest expression of one's opinion (unless you're just swept up in what everyone else is listening to...) and you're not gonna change that however much you argue against.

My two cents.

tibar21

Quote from: metroidhunter777 on November 14, 2008, 03:59:29 PM
Quote from: Beatnik on November 14, 2008, 03:00:53 PM

And, thus, music is entirely a point of one's opinion. There's no point in defending it or promoting it, unless that makes you feel good, I guess, because everyone has a different opinion that they won't get away from.

Basically, what I've heard of death metal is kinda blah to me. Like you said, the musical technicality exist, but they're covered over by the drums blast beats and double pedal and the singer's... screaming. If it was really about the music, then you'd have more of a front in the bass and guitar. I prefer stuff that just dishes out the insane musical coolness second after second. Which is why I listen mainly to progressive rock or metal, Rush and Dream Theater, for example. They play what appeals to me musical; f***ing impressive musicianship. I listen to mainstream metal, as well, such as Metallica, and, although true they sold out, they still make decent music. Load-St. Anger was crap, but everything before and after is wholly Metallica, maybe outside of The Black Album.  Again, Rush is mainstream, but barely; they just still have Tom Sawyer playing on the radio after 15 years. There was that brief sell-out period in the 90's, but they got over that. And Dream Theater... well, most people have never heard of them, so... ha.

So, you've explained what you enjoy musically... or, rather, physically, with the mosh pit and all that good stuff. And what I enjoy is completely different, being the musicianship or the solos or whatnot. No matter what, music is probably the biggest expression of one's opinion (unless you're just swept up in what everyone else is listening to...) and you're not gonna change that however much you argue against.

My two cents.
i actually do argue about music and everything for that matter because it makes me feel good. The sad thing is that most people don't bother getting their own musical taste and just listen to Lil Wayne or Fergie or Nickleback. Music might actually be doing good if everyone had their own taste. For those that have their own taste, like us, we all think everyone else's taste of music sucks but ours. And sure the holocaust might have been popular among Germans 60 years, but people are smarter nowadays and most people know whats right. You're right on how death metal doesn't appeal to most people, but there's a pretty good reason why. And if you think music is about energy you should watch a live video of Sum 41 or Yellowcard. They're full of energy. And even though I don't like Dragon force I know that they're not poop. They have crazy guitars and they have improved live.

Java

How can you possibly say that people are smarter now a days when there is a genocide clearly going on in Sudan?

Beatnik

Humanity isn't getting smarter.  We're just getting better at hiding our stupidity.

tibar21

Quote from: Java_Java on November 14, 2008, 10:39:40 PM
How can you possibly say that people are smarter now a days when there is a genocide clearly going on in Sudan?

that's not what I mean. I meant that civilized people are getting more knowledgable. Schools are much more advanced nowadays and people are inventing more things. That nakes it perfectly logical to think that normal people cam whats good and not good. Humans aren't stupid, they're just lazy and inconsiderate about not trashing the earth.

Metalbott

Quote from: tibar21 on November 15, 2008, 09:18:31 PM
Quote from: Java_Java on November 14, 2008, 10:39:40 PM

that's not what I mean. I meant that civilized people are getting more knowledgable. Schools are much more advanced nowadays and people are inventing more things. That nakes it perfectly logical to think that normal people cam whats good and not good. Humans aren't stupid, they're just lazy and inconsiderate about not trashing the earth.

The fact that Americas epidemic is obesity proves you wrong.

And, honestly, you like intercourse ing Sum 41 and Yellowcard. Post punk poop. You claim to have your own taste in music. Do you have any idea how mainstream those bands are?

Repetitive riffs and whiny voices. And then you say "I criticize other music because it makes me feel good". How narcissistic. Get a intercourse ing clue.

Beatnik