<Clu> no nsfcd is basically a ghost town, it should be killed behind fences

Main Menu

Your Memories Are Not Enough

Started by Superkeeleybro, October 07, 2007, 07:54:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Superkeeleybro

Chapter 18, continued

(continued from previous page)

Everyone but Hurdy eagerly followed his suggestion. Noting Hurdy?s reluctance, Leon allowed him to stay out until he got tired.

Now that it was winter, King Verault and Crim had much less to do. The king invited them to plays, music performances, and other amusements put on in the castle?s small theater. Crim sometimes joined them for mock battles that got them back in shape. By mid-winter, everyone was fully recovered, and only the snow kept them from leaving.

There were the traditional winter festivities that had been passed down through the ages. Elomir finally got the brace off of his wing, and flew around as much as possible in the cramped castle. When King Verault had a large pine tree brought in, both Elomir and Crim flew the decorations to the top, while the others were left to decorate the bottom. Before long, the tree was decorated and the king had a Winter Festival held at the palace.

Word must have gotten out about who Prince Leon was, because many of the upper class came to see. At the festival, Leon was frequently busy explaining about himself and his kingdom. Once the dances began, Leon found many families presenting their daughters his age for him to dance with. As a result, he had a very busy night, and was exhausted by the time he returned to his room around midnight. All the others were already there, asleep and stuffed from the holiday foods that were given freely to all.

Leon took off his shoes and rubbed his sore feet. There had been many beautiful girls at the festival, so perhaps he would have to visit Midern again in some future year. Leon wrapped himself tightly in the quilts and immediately fell asleep.

The rest of the winter season went uneventfully. They all gave one another small gifts during the proper day, and the king also made their stay as comfortable as possible. Soon, the snows were beginning to melt, and the time to return home drew near. King Verault gave them plenty of supplies and maps of all the routes that led back, and soon, it was the morning for their departure.

Verault and Crim met them early that morning as they gathered up the last of their supplies. ?I?m glad that I could have you all as guests,? Verault said. ?If you ever need anything, Midern will be here to help.?

?Thank you, good king, for giving us the finest accommodations in your castle,? Leon said as he bowed.

?It was the least I could do after you helped in my country?s most desperate battle,? Verault answered. ?Now, I wish you all luck on your journey home. Midern will always be open to the people of Alagarde.?

Crim, usually silent, stepped out to say a few words to the others. ?I also bid you all farewell. You fought well and with honor. I can tell you will make it home safely.?

?Now that my wing?s healed, I?m ready to fly in the open skies again!? Elomir said with enthusiasm. ?It?s been nice to know you, Crim, and maybe we?ll see each other again someday.?

?Maybe I?ll travel again some other time, but I think I want to stay home once I get there,? Hurdy said. ?Goodbye, Crim.?

?My father will be proud of how strong I?ve become,? Draconis added. ?I?m still nowhere near as strong as you are, Crim, but if we meet again, then we might have to see.?

Annox and Peoria also bid a brief farewell to Crim, and the group headed off. After they made their way out of Midern, the roads were muddy, but the flowers, grass, and vitality of Spring was all around.

?Perfect time for travel!? Annox eagerly said. ?Don?t you think Spring is the best time of year??

?Yes, I do,? Peoria agreed. ?Now I?ll race you to that rock up ahead!?

Annox and Peoria ran ahead playfully. Elomir was up in the sky, looping and twisting as he flew. Hurdy was enjoying the muddy road, splashing through any puddles that they passed by. Draconis preferred to stay dry, and so he walked in the grass. Leon was also in a good mood, and walked quickly along. It was the perfect start of a journey that led home.

As Leon and the others spent their winter at Midern, Forde and Corvon had made their way to Deltan, the northernmost kingdom in the entire land. A light snow was already covering the ground when they first approached the kingdom after a week?s travel from Midern. After another week, they finally reached the city of Deltan.

Deltan was an imposing city. Known as the city of snow, the buildings all had thick stone walls to keep out the cold. Its people were also like the ice and snow that surrounded them for half the year. Many were cold and quiet, but others reflected the calm and surreal beauty of the icy land. From the first group came many of the soldiers of Deltan. Hardened by the cold and rigorous training, Deltan had an army as formidable, if not more, than any of the other kingdoms. It was a good thing they had not joined the war, or else it would have been hopeless.

From the second group came the mystics of Deltan. These people lived lives of meditation, art, and learning. The main place to find these people was at a building known only as the Spire. The Spire was actually several buildings. A large library and classrooms filled most of the smaller buildings. The main reason it was called the Spire was the massive tower that the smaller buildings were built around. The wisest of the mystics lived at the top of this tower, and were said to be able to see things no others could.

Forde, Corvon, Kita, and Lucario walked down the stone streets towards the Spire. King Xanos lived at the bottom of the Spire, so that he could have the advice of the mystics readily available. At this time of year, the people on the street hurried to and from whatever destinations they had. The whole city was rather quiet.

Forde reached inside his coat to check on Chiro. The Pachirisu was sleeping inside one of the inner pockets, as he had been since they came into this cold land.

?I really wish to speak with Duke Arville, but we must speak with the king first,? Forde said.

?We are visitors to his kingdom, so seeing Xanos first will be for the best,? Corvon said. ?As long as he has good food and a warm fire, I won?t mind.?

?Cold travel food is getting old,? Kita added.

?Something warm would be nice,? Lucario said. ?Let?s get going.?

After walking down a few long streets, they finally arrived at the Spire. They went through the smaller door that was used during the winter and into a waiting area. There were many people in the waiting area, and a few fires warmed the place. The king?s officials dealt with the people, making sure only the matters worth the king?s attention got to him. Forde and Corvon had to wait in a short line before seeing the first of these officials.

As they got to the front of the line, a stout man with red hair sat behind a table. The table had many papers on it, with various records, complaints, or other information written on them. The man looked at Forde and Corvon as if they were just two more things to check off some list. ?State your business,? the man said.

?Tell the king that Forde has arrived, and do so quickly.?

?I?ll be sure to pass it along,? the man said as he wrote this down.

Soon, another bureaucrat came by and took a paper from the man. After a few more minutes, the same man came and told Forde and Corvon to enter the king?s room. They stepped into the king?s room, which was at the center of the Spire. It was a circular room, with the throne at the very center. King Xanos, who sat upon the throne, was a middle-aged man. Although he wasn?t that old, his hair flowed down to his shoulders and was as white as the snow which fell so often upon Deltan. Xanos was a thin man, but taller than either Forde or Corvon. His face was sharp, and his eyes bright.

After Forde and Corvon gave the customary bow, King Xanos spoke. ?I wasn?t expecting you, Forde, to come to my kingdom so soon. I thought you would be in Midern, helping to rebuild after that long battle. You must have some reason, but I?m sure your companions are tired. Glint!?

Xanos snapped his fingers and his Glaceon came bounding up from some corner of the room. ?Glint, take the others to the kitchens,? Xanos commanded.

Xanos watched as Glaceon led Corvon, Kita, and Lucario to a door at the other side of the room.

?Wait, don?t forget Chiro,? Forde said as he pulled the squirrel out of his coat.

The sudden loss of the warm pocket woke Chiro up, but he was confused for a moment.

?Follow Glaceon if you want food,? Forde said to guide Chiro.

?We must have got to Deltan,? Chiro said, now fully awake. ?I?m starving! Wait for me!?

Chiro scampered over to the others, and they all left. Now, Xanos and Forde were free to talk, with only the king?s personal guard in the room.

?You know, Glint is still enamored of Kita, although she never shows any interest in him,? Xanos began. ?Anyways, what are you here for??

?Two reasons,? Forde said. ?First, I would like to know if there has been anything unusual happening in your country. Second, I wish to speak with Duke Arville, since it is thought that he stole the toxic plate from Midern in the middle of the battle.?

?Duke Arville stole something? That?s more strange than anything else that?s happened around here. Perhaps it does have to do with that new group.?

?What group do you speak of??

?An odd group that calls itself the Bringers of Judgment has been operating in my kingdom for about a year. I?ve been watching them, and Duke Arville may be involved with them somehow. As soon as Mellano Arville returned from his most recent voyage, they all vanished. There was only about 10 people in the group that my spies knew of.?

?That?s strange. It sounds like I?ll need to go talk with Mellano.?

?That will be fine. I?ll make sure you won?t have any trouble in meeting with him. Report back to me once you are done.?

?As you wish, King Xanos.? Forde concluded with a bow before going off to get the others.

Glint had led the others to the kitchens, where they were given a warm stew and some bread to eat. Glint disappeared for a moment before returning with a small tray of berries. He approached Kita and presented the tray to her.

?Here you go,? Glint said. ?All your favorite kinds of berries. I had them specially preserved for you.?

Kita ate them silently, not wanting to encourage Glint anymore. It was like this each time she came here. Glint would always go all-out to please Kita. She had to admit that the Glaceon had a certain charm and polite manner, but she still treated him coldly. She was the one that had to protect Forde, and getting in a relationship with Glint would just get in the way.

?Is there anything else you want, Kita?? Glint asked. ?Did you like the berries??

?They were good, but that will be all,? Kita said.

Corvon, Lucario, and Chiro didn?t say anything as they ate their food. Chiro watched Kita with an amused grin when he wasn?t busy with food. Chiro always would laugh at Glint?s efforts to please Kita, and he did this time as Glint had a perplexed look on his face after Kita?s response to his gift.

Soon, Forde came and told them they were heading to Mellano?s villa. They all finished up their food, and readied themselves for the cold again. Glint seemed disappointed that Kita wasn?t staying longer, and returned to his place with the king.

They walked the cold stone streets of Deltan again and made their way to the villa, which was built on a hill near the sea. Mellano?s ship was anchored at his private dock, but the crew had all headed to their own homes. They walked slowly up the winding stairway that led to the house. Forde reached out and gave a booming knock on the door, and they waited.

Light

Aww... looks like I'll have to wait for another chapter to see what happens with Arville. And more relationships coming along, and others getting ruined? This story is getting more advanced with each chapter! Keep it up! ;D
Holy crap all my sigs were always poop. Best leave this space alone.

Superkeeleybro

Part 2: Beyond the Gods? Sight

Chapter 20: Atrocity?s Invitation

The sun blazed down on Leon as he stood on the town walls. He looked at the people in their fields, working hard to keep the crop successful. Right before he turned back to the castle, he looked at the empty sky, but saw nothing except an approaching thunderstorm.

Three months had passed, and Leon had yet to hear anything about Elomir. He considered going to visit the desert, but he knew that there was so much left to do during the rest of the Summer. Returning to the castle, Leon waited as Desmond finished settling a dispute between two of the townspeople.

?Leon, are you ready to meet with the ambassador from Midern? They should be arriving today,? Desmond said.

?Actually, they might be delayed.? Leon pointed to the dark skies outside the window. ?There is a bad thunderstorm approaching from the South.?

?We?ll just have to wait and see. Be ready in case they arrive.?

Leon went to his room to put on more formal attire. He waited around the castle for a few hours. The expected guests didn?t arrive, only the thunderstorm. The rain came down in furious bursts and the flashes of lightning could be seen in the distance. Suddenly a guard ran up and saluted. ?Some guests are here to see you, prince.?

?Is it the ambassador?? Leon asked.

?No. It is a man in a black hat. It looks like he?s been traveling for quite a while.?

?It must be Corvon! I wonder what he?s doing here??

Leon dismissed the guard and ran down to meet with the visitors. Corvon stood there, water still dripping from his hat and cloak. Lucario took a moment to shake the water out of his fur. Kita and Chiro also took a moment to do the same.

?What are all of you doing here?? Leon asked. ?Where?s Forde??

Both Kita and Chiro looked down at the stone floor. Chiro?s usual grin changed to a worried scowl. It may have just been the rain dripping of her, but it looked as if Kita was crying.

?He?s gone,? Corvon said. ?We were investigating some men who held Mellano?s fianc? captive until he gave them the toxic plate. We tracked them as far as the bottom of Mount Freeze, but then??

Forde and Corvon had easily followed the ten men this far. These men were traveling with speed in mind, not concealment. Up at the top of the winding trail, the ten men were almost to reach the cave near the summit of the mountain.

?If we can catch up to them in there, they won?t be able to escape,? Forde said. ?Let?s get after them.?

?We still don?t even know who they are, and yet they obviously have some important mission,? Corvon said as he wrapped his cloak tighter around him. ?I?d like to find out what drives them onwards, even in such extremes as this place. We?d better get moving ourselves or we?ll freeze.?

Both Kita and Lucario were shivering, while Chiro had remained inside Forde?s coat for days. They moved quickly up the mountain, which warmed up their feet. The deep snow and icy paths made for dangerous travel, but they navigated their way up the mountain as quickly as possible. Just as they reached half-way, a purple mist began to flow slowly downwards from the cave.

Lucario squinted to get a better view. ?What is that??

?I?m sensing something in that cave unlike anything else I?ve ever felt,? Kita said.

?We?re almost there, and then we?ll see,? Forde said.

The mist spread into the air, but formed the thickest around the top of the mountain. Soon, they reached the threshold of the mist. Forde took a step into it. ?I?m going first. Don?t come in unless I say so.? The rest of them watched as he disappeared into the purple cloud. The few minutes Forde was gone seemed like hours, but then he stepped back out. ?I?m not sensing anything harmful to pokemon in here, but I think you should stay out, Corvon.?

A small amount of the miasma flowed down to where they were standing. Lucario and Kita didn?t notice anything, but Corvon started coughing. His coughing continued and he had a pained look on his face.

?Lucario,? Forde commanded. ?Get Corvon down from here. Wait at the bottom of the mountain for us. If the fog reaches you, keep moving further away.?

Lucario said nothing as he supported Corvon and began helping him down the mountain. Forde now turned to Kita and pulled Chiro from his pocket.

?Whatever is making this has to be stopped,? Forde said. ?This fog contains poisons that will slowly kill any humans caught in it. It will be up to us now.?

Forde, Kita, and Chiro made it up the last stretch of mountain, despite the fog obscuring their sight. From the mouth of the cave, more miasma came seeping out. They took a few cautious steps, and could see a few figures sprawled on the floor. Forde kneeled down to examine one.

?This is one of the men we were following!? Forde said. ?He?s dead now.?

Kita had taken a few more steps forward and then gasped. ?Forde, there?s something else here. I think it?s making the fog.?

Forde got up and stared at the ten foot tall figure enshrouded in fog. ?Kita, clear some of this away.?

Kita focused and cleared a small patch of the clouds away, but then lost focus as soon as she saw the glowing red eyes on the black and white head. ?It can?t be,? she muttered in disbelief.

?This is Arceus?? Chiro said.

?Arceus! Why are you doing this?? Forde yelled.

Arceus said nothing.

?Why don?t you answer us?? Forde asked. ?Answer or we may have to attack!?

?Attack Arceus?? Kita said. ?Are you insane??

They waited a few minutes in silence, but then Forde issued his command. ?Kita, Chiro, use your strongest attacks!?

Kita and Chiro both braced themselves and gathered energy. Right as they unleashed their attacks, the fog stopped and a barrier blocked both.

?Try again!?

They charged again, but their attacks were repelled by the barrier once more. Forde circled around Arceus, pondering what to do.

Forde pulled out his dagger. ?I never thought I?d have to use this, especially on a pokemon. It is breaking the agreement that all but the vilest of humans and pokemon uphold. A human and pokemon should never battle. That was decreed so long ago, after the war of the heroes, and now I must break it. I?d ask Arceus to forgive me if it wasn?t the one I was attacking. Now everyone attack!?

Both Kita and Chiro unleashed their attacks, which did no damage. Forde jumped forwards, slashing right near the center of Arceus? chest, where the toxic plate was now embedded. Forde?s dagger sank to the hilt, and Arceus roared in pain. Arceus reared up, but Forde had kept hold of his weapon, causing a nasty slice down the entire length of Arceus? chest.

Forde jumped back as Arceus slammed its hooves down, causing the whole mountain to shake. Forde now reached for the plate, and began to tear it off. It looked as if he would succeed, but he suddenly vanished.

Kita and Chiro ran to where Forde had been, but only Arceus stood, dripping a few drops of blood on the floor. The wounds closed and Arceus stood silent again.

?Where?s Forde?? Chiro said.

?He?s? gone,? Kita answered. ?Forde?s gone! What will we do without him??

Chiro glared at Arceus before shooting a bolt of electricity. The attack was shielded, doing nothing.

Kita began to cry as she never had before. ?Forde! Why did you attack Arceus? I thought you were smart??

Chiro tried attacking Arceus a few more times, but got the same results. Exhausted, he returned to Kita?s side. ?There?s nothing more we can do here. Let?s go tell Corvon.?

?No, I won?t leave here!?

?Forde would have wanted us to continue his mission. We have to help stop this.?

With some reluctance, Kita finally left. The two slid down the mountain, trying to get to Corvon as fast as possible. Corvon and Lucario noticed them, and looked questioningly at them. Finally they reached the bottom.

?Corvon, Lucario! Forde disappeared!? Chiro frantically said.

?Slow down and tell me what happened,? Corvon said.

?Arceus is at the top, making these poison clouds,? Chiro said. ?All three of us attacked, but only Forde did any damage. After he almost pulled off the toxic plate, Forde vanished.?

?So Forde?s gone? Did he tell either of you what to do next?? Lucario asked.

?No,? Kita said. ?I think he would want us to stop this. The fog is lethal to humans. Mewtwo, he?s the one we need to see.?

Corvon pulled out his map. ?Where does Mewtwo live??

?On an island, but we can contact him from where Pokemon Square used to be,? Kita said.

?That?s pretty far away,? Corvon said. ?If we head South we can meet up with Leon at Alagarde and maybe get Draconis, Annox, Hurdy, and Peoria to help us.?

?What good would they do?? Kita asked.

?We?ll need anyone we can get and the Southern way is the fastest way through all the nearby mountains. Maybe we could even get Elomir to fly ahead and contact Mewtwo.?

Kita was still glancing up at the mountain, as if expecting Forde to return. ?Whatever.?

?Let?s go then,? Lucario said.

The four all left the mountain, but both Kita and Chiro looked back every few minutes.

?That was a week ago,? Kita said. ?If you were ever a friend of Forde, then you?ll join us.?

?This is all very grave news,? Leon said. ?I?ll have to go tell my father.?

Desmond listened patiently to the awful events and then added his suggestion. ?Leon, if you feel you are needed to stop this threat, then you must go.?

?I will go. It seems an impossible task to stop Arceus, but we must try.?

?Your pack will be ready in a few minutes. Go safely and return victorious.?

?Thank you, dad. I?ll do my best. It looks like you?ll have to cover the ambassador for me.?

?Don?t worry about that. This is far more important! The guards will have your supplies by the gate. I?ll take care of everything here.?

Leon bid farewell to his father and returned to the others.

?I?m ready to go,? he said.

?Do you know where Elomir is?? Corvon asked. ?He could be helpful.?

?He left for the desert as soon as he could. I haven?t heard anything from him since.?

?That changes plans. Kita, Chiro, do you think you could go and get the others from Relic Academy and catch up to us? We?ll head north from the desert and meet you at Zapdos?s lands.?

?We should get there right around when you two do,? Kita said. ?Either group will only wait at Zapdos two days. After that, move on.?

?I agree,? Corvon said. ?We need to do this quickly. The more we wait, the more the poison will spread.?

?Why don?t I just head to the desert?? Leon asked. ?If anyone can get Elomir to come, it will be me. Kita and Chiro can go get the others, while Corvon and Lucario head straight to Mewtwo.?

?That will save some time, but smaller groups means we might be at risk from attacks,? Corvon said. ?Especially you, Leon, since you don?t have any pokemon.?

?I?ll avoid any people I?m not sure of,? Leon said. ?I can look out for myself.?

?If you want to take the risk, then fine,? Corvon said. ?I guess that means it?s time we all head out.?

They all went their separate ways with haste towards their destinations. Kita and Chiro arrived at Relic Academy a few days later. They walked right in, unannounced, and met with Hurdy?s father.

?What brings you two here without Forde?? the Swampert asked.

?Something happened to Forde,? Kita said. ?We need to see Hurdy, Draconis, Annox, and Peoria right now.?

?Fine, I?ll get them.?

Within a few minutes, all four had been gathered.

?Kita, Chiro, so good to see you again,? Hurdy said. ?Where?s Forde??

?I don?t really care that he?s not here,? Draconis muttered.

Kita tackled Draconis in a flash, her claws out and ready above his neck. ?Don?t talk about Forde like that!? After a few tense moments, Kita backed off and allowed Draconis to get up.

?Hey, don?t fight!? Annox said. ?What?s all this about??

?I?ll tell you,? Chiro said.

After Chiro told the story, all four seemed to be thinking hard.

?So, are you going to come?? Kita asked.

?No, not unless I know exactly what I?m getting into and what I?m getting paid,? Draconis said. ?I don?t care about the humans anyways.?

Hurdy gave his friend a pleading look, but then gave his response. ?I?ll go. I don?t want to see all the humans dead.?

?I think I?ll need some more time to think about it,? Annox said.

?Come on, Annox,? Peoria said. ?We can?t let all the humans die. If we do nothing, it will be partly our fault.?

?Fine, if you are going, then I?ll come,? Annox said. ?It?s only because you want me to, though.?

Peoria nuzzled Annox. ?Oh, how sweet of you!?

Annox began blushing. ?You?re embarrassing both of us.?

?Okay, let?s go,? Kita said. ?There isn?t any time to waste. We?re supposed to go meet up with Mewtwo as quickly as possible.?

Draconis walked away as the others prepared to go. Hurdy and Annox both met with their families to say goodbye, and then they all met at the trail that led back to the North. They had just set out, when Draconis came running after them.

Kita glared at him. ?What do you want??

?I?ve decided to come along,? Draconis said. ?All my friends are going, and staying here isn?t making me any stronger. I?m not doing this for Forde, though.?

?As long as you are with us, then you?re welcome,? Chiro said.

Leon traveled straight out of Western Farna into the desert. He had mapped out where he thought Elomir would be, and used this to track where to go. After a few days, he finally saw the familiar oasis in the distance.

After walking through the hot sun all day, Leon stopped at the oasis for a drink. He got up and started going the way he remembered Elomir had flown last time. Soon, he saw a cave up in some cliffs and headed towards it.

A shadow covered the sun suddenly, but before Leon could look up, he found himself pinned to the ground underneath a growling Flygon.

?Elomir, is that you?? Leon asked after looking at the Flygon for a second.

?Leon? What are you doing here?? Elomir said. ?You?re lucky I?m the one on guard duty. Allia would probably have ripped your head off the moment she saw you.?

?Guard duty? What are you guarding??

Elomir began scratching the back of his head nervously. ?I guess I can tell you. You see, I?m here guarding our egg while Allia is hunting.?

Leon?s eyes widened in surprise. ?So you?re a father now??

?Almost. The egg will hatch soon. You?d better be going soon before Allia gets back. Why are you here anyways??

Leon told Elomir of the poison Arceus was creating. Elomir seemed saddened by the news, but didn?t look determined to do anything.

?If things were different, then I might have joined you again, Leon. I?m needed here more than anywhere else. I wish you luck on the rest of your trip.?

?I guess I?ll be going. I never thought you and Allia would have an egg yet, and you need to stay and watch over it. If you ever want to find me, just go to the old ruins of Pokemon Square and meet with Mewtwo.?

?I?ll keep that in mind, but don?t expect any help from me.?

?Goodbye again, Elomir.?

?Goodbye Leon.?

Leon set off to the North and Elomir watched him go from his perch among the cliffs. Although part of him wanted to go, more of him wanted to stay, so Elomir remained motionless. Soon, Allia returned and sniffed the air.

?Someone?s been here,? she said.

?It was my old human,? Elomir said. ?He wanted me to join him for another quest, but I refused.?

?It must have been desperate for him to come all the way here. What did he want??

?Arceus is creating a fog that will kill the humans if it gets to them.?

?I don?t talk to humans, but surely they can?t have invoked that judgment yet. The ancient prophecy states that when hearts and minds become full of venom, Arceus will poison the world. It is one of the ancient judgments, but from what you?ve said, the humans aren?t that evil yet.?

?Perhaps something is making Arceus do this, like something made the human leaders act different and start that war I was in.?

?That could be true, but we have to worry about our family. We have one egg that will hatch soon, and perhaps more on the way.?

?Yes, so much to do??

Allia flew back to the cave, but Elomir sat and thought for a moment. There was nothing he could do to help Leon, but perhaps there was some other way.

Superkeeleybro

Chapter 21: Gathering of the Chosen

For a lone human the desert is not a safe place. Leon was well aware of this as he spent another night in solitude. There had been a group of Cacturne that may have spotted him, and they were notorious for attacking travelers.

Leon tried to settle down and get some rest, but then heard something scratching at some rocks not far from his camp. He immediately got up and looked. The Cacturne from earlier, several of them; Leon packed his remaining gear as fast as possible before setting off at a quick walk.

Cacturne were known to follow travelers until they either caught up with them, or the traveler collapsed from exhaustion. Leon was now in such a situation and could think of nothing to do but keep moving. Unfortunately, the Cacturne blocked his way back to Elomir, so North was the only option.

The desert night was cold, but the moon was bright, revealing the barren landscape. Some Sandshrew and Sandslash foraged in some of the scrubby bushes not too far off, and Leon headed that way. All night Leon walked, and by the time dawn came again, his steps were slowing. Now and then he?d stop paying attention to anything around him and then snap back to attention when he realized he was zoning out.

The Cacturne were as relentless as ever, following Leon through the scorching day. Step after weary step, Leon kept going. Night came again, but Leon could not afford to rest. The Cacturne were following, and every short break Leon took brought them closer.

By the dawn of the next day, Leon was stumbling from time to time. This forced march was taking a serious toll on him, and he knew he couldn?t keep it up much longer. He glanced at the landscape for some place to escape from his pursuers; the hills of sand and wiry bushes offered nothing. The mountains were ahead of him, but they were still days away.

In late afternoon, Leon?s fatigue took its toll. He collapsed in the hot sun, and the Cacturne eagerly approached their prey. Leon reawakened, but found himself surrounded by the Cacturne. He got to his feet and strung an arrow in his bow.

?I guess it?s come down to this,? Leon said. ?I won?t go down without a fight.?

Leon tried shooting an arrow at one, but it deflected the arrow with a pin missile attack. Several of the fired needles also rained down on Leon, knocking him to the ground. He staggered to his feet again, and tried to shoot again. Again Leon ended in pain on the ground. He sighed in disappointment and listened to the approaching steps. The wind started to blow fiercely, so Leon shut his eyes. What a pathetic way to end. He should have listened to Corvon?s warning.

The wind became stronger and the footsteps stopped. It sounded like something new was going on. Leon opened his eyes and saw that the Cacturne were retreating. The winds calmed down and two small Flygon landed.

?Palak at your service,? one said with a bow.

?And I?m Malak,? the other added.

Leon tried to stand, but fell down. ?Thanks for rescuing me. I?ve been walking for days.?

?Those nasty Cacturne like to do that,? Palak said.

Malak seemed to pick up his twin?s sentences right where they left off. ?Elomir sent us to guide you through the desert.?

?Lucky for you, his worries brought us.?

?Yes, I am lucky to have a friend like him,? Leon said. ?Do you think we could find a good place to rest? I need some sleep.?

?Oh there?s an oasis right over that way,? Malak said.

?Just follow us!?

The two young Flygon took to the sky. They began flipping and whirling around each other playfully. Leon smiled at their antics, since it reminded him of when Elomir had first evolved. They were too little to carry him, so Leon walked slowly along until he arrived at an oasis surrounded by a ring of trees.

Leon took a deep drink from the cold water and lay down in the shade of the trees. Within moments, he was asleep. Palak and Malak continued playing in the water, but their noise didn?t disturb Leon in the slightest.

Leon slept through the afternoon and night, and was awakened by a rustling noise in the morning. He stretched his stiff muscles and looked over to where the noise was coming from. Both Palak and Malak sat rummaging through his supplies.

?Hey!? Leon yelled out as he walked over to them.

They both looked up with guilty expressions and backed a few steps away.

?We were just curious,? Palak said.

Malak lowered his head. ?I don?t think we messed anything up, so don?t be mad.?

Leon was annoyed, and set about repacking his things. ?It?s fine, but you could have just asked to see my stuff.?

As Leon packed everything away, Palak and Malak watched and asked about what most the objects did. After about an hour, everything was back in its place and the three continued on in silence.

Malak?s curiosity broke through the awkward silence. ?Why do humans need and wear so many clothes??

Leon thought for a moment how to explain this. ?It?s usually been required by law, tradition, and decency that everyone wear clothes. Without them we?d get scratches, sunburns, heat, and cold. Since you aren?t humans, it might seem strange, but most of us would have difficulty without clothes.?

?How silly,? Palak said. ?We Flygon can just go about without clothes, and we?re fine. It also gives us a chance to show off our fine bodies to the females.? Palak puffed up his chest and assumed an intimidating posture.

Malak rolled his eyes at his brother. ?Not that there are any our age near this part of the desert.?

Palak deflated. ?Yeah, I guess you?re right.?

The rest of the day and the next few passed in banter about similar things. Leon soon began to tune out most of the chatter between the two. Soon, they had reached the edge of the desert.

?I guess we?ve fulfilled our promise to Elomir,? Malak said.

Palak looked back at the desert. ?I wonder what Elomir will have for us when we get back. He did promise to give us something nice for doing this.?

Leon scratched both of them in the spot right behind the horns, where Flygon liked to be scratched. ?Thank you both for bringing me here. If I?m in the desert again, I?ll be sure to bring you something. Good luck on your return trip.?

The two flew South and Leon headed to a nearby road that led North. After about a week of travel, Leon arrived at the base of Mt. Thunder. The others were all waiting. After a short greeting, it was time to share news.

?I couldn?t get Elomir to come,? Leon said. ?He and Allia are just about to have their first egg hatch.?

Kita walked forward. ?Unfortunate but expected. If you could sense emotions like I can, then you would have known how Elomir felt about her. I?m just glad I didn?t try to sense thoughts, or I might have gotten something truly shocking from that Flygon.?

?My parents had been hinting about taking me to the old clan grounds to get to know the females, but this journey must have interrupted any plans they had,? Draconis added.

?I think mine were also planning something similar,? Hurdy said. ?I don?t think Annox and Peoria will have that problem, though.?

Everyone now looked at Annox and Peoria, who were both close to the other. The two blushed and separated by a step.

Corvon cleared his throat to get everyone?s attention. ?Well, that means all the help we can expect is here. We should set off immediately.?

There was no packing to do, so after a short meal they headed out. Lucario and Corvon led the way, since they knew a short path through the mountains.

Soon, Chiro scampered up to Lucario. ?Lucario, I was wondering, have you or Corvon ever had anyone you liked??

Lucario stayed silent for a few moments, but Chiro kept pestering him. ?Grr, I guess you won?t go away without an answer, will you??

?Nope.?

?Okay, I?ll tell you. There was once when I met a female Lucario.?

?What happened with that??

?What do you expect happened??

?Were you rejected??

?No, of course not! I raised a litter of pups and they matured and so I went on my way. Corvon was patient as my love played its course.?

Corvon drew closer to the two. ?I do recall that staying for a few months in the same place seemed a bit strange in those days. Unfortunately I?ve never connected with women, being such a wanderer as I am. If I settled somewhere, I?d probably have a better chance. Now, fair is fair, so what about you and Kita??

Kita glared at them. ?Don?t draw me into this!?

Chiro was unaffected by Kita?s anger and gave a happy explanation. ?I?m like Lucario. Forde waited when I fell in love with a female Pachirisu years ago. Young Pachirisu grow so fast, and after they set out on their own, I also went my way. That only took about two months. And since Kita won?t tell you, I?ll say that I have never known her to spend much time with any males of her type. The closest you?ll get is probably Glint, and I don?t see why Kita doesn?t like him.?

Kita just walked away in silence, leaving everyone to guess at an answer. Days passed on their travels, and soon they reached Midern. They had a short stay with King Verault, who graciously gave them more supplies. Finally they arrived at the ruins where they would meet Mewtwo.

They approached the slab, but as soon as the display started, Kita stepped forward. ?Mewtwo, cut this sappy show. We?re in a hurry!?

Mewtwo did not oblige, and so they were forced to watch the entire story of the heroes again. Everyone but Kita and Chiro watched with interest, and they both talked quietly.

?My favorite hero was Absol,? Kita whispered. ?I would have liked to know him.?

?That?s because you?re just like him,? Chiro whispered before breaking into his squeaky laughter.

Kita made a fake swipe at Chiro, and he rolled backwards to avoid. Soon the show ended, and Mewtwo appeared at the top of the slab.

?Why didn?t you end it like I asked?? Kita said. ?We need your help and this is very important.?

Mewtwo adjusted into a more daunting position. ?I can?t just end the show when someone in the audience hasn?t seen it. That?s just not my style. Now, off to my island.?

Mewtwo focused and they all warped the island. Mew was waiting there for them and floated closer as they appeared. ?Oh, how nice to see you again. I can see most of you have grown, but where are Forde and Elomir??

?Elomir?s in the desert, watching over his egg with his mate,? Leon explained quickly.

Mewtwo landed on the ground, looking over the group. ?I can sense Forde is somehow lost. Something to do with Arceus? You all have been busy.?

Mew gave Mewtwo a reproachful look. ?Don?t read their thoughts like that. Let them explain.?

After explanations, even Mewtwo and Mew seemed thoughtful. Mew was the first to speak. ?We?ll have to do something, of course. We can?t let the world be ruined. How about we talk with the other legendaries while you wait here??

?How long will you be?? Corvon asked.

?Only a day or two,? Mewtwo said. ?I?m sure most will cooperate. Forde never should have told us to come back here if he was going to get into such trouble.?

Kita suddenly grew fierce. ?I?m sure he didn?t know! He?s too good to be stopped by anything expected!?

Mewtwo smiled as he replied. ?Anger will solve nothing. We?ll do what we can. See you in a few days.?

Mewtwo and Mew vanished, leaving everyone to wait while their nervous emotions built. The serene island with its plentiful food calmed them a little, but everyone was still relieved when the two returned.

?We?ve seen what?s going on now,? Mewtwo said. ?The others have many opinions.?

?We persuaded them to contain the toxins as much as possible,? Mew explained. ?Rayquaza, Lugia, Zapdos, Articuno, and Moltres were most helpful in this matter.?

Mewtwo now made a floating tablet appear in the air. ?We also have a new mission for the rest of you.? A map appeared on the tablet. ?You are to go here and speak with Ho-Oh. She thinks this may have something to do with some recent disruptions in the spirit world that she is the keeper of, so she wanted a group to go investigate. Good thing all of you can provide such a group. I told her you?d all be willing to go.?

Draconis?s flame burned larger. ?You didn?t even ask us!?

?There was no need to. Me and Mew will be helping to contain the poison, so all of you are naturally the best choice. Of course I can see that you don?t care if the humans live, but don?t you want an adventure with your friends? As a bonus, you may even see a few old ancestors or dead friends in the spirit world.?

Draconis was taken aback by Mewtwo?s reply. ?Huh??

Mew now stepped in to explain. ?Ho-Oh controls the gateway to the spirit realm, and that?s where she wants to send you. Spirits can easily be spoken with once you are in their realm, so seeing such things will be normal.?

?It seems another fascinating opportunity,?  Hurdy said. ?I hope there isn?t much danger involved.?

?No of course not,? Mewtwo said, reassuringly. ?The gateway at Mt. Faraway distorts things so that we can only take you to the beach of the island, so there will only be the fire fields, the thunder fields, and the ice fields to cross.?

Kita looked doubtful. ?So we?ll have to get past the extremely territorial Entei, Raikou, and Suicune? That?s not exactly safe.?

Mewtwo folded his arms. ?I never had any trouble with those puppy dogs, so it?s perfectly safe.?

?Dear, that?s not a good way to judge things,? Mew said. ?How about we give them some things to help.? Mew glowed with energy and two large bags of seeds appeared. ?The first is full of quick seeds. They will make you faster. The second is full of invisibility seeds to make so they can?t see you, although they can probably still smell you. Leon, Corvon, I?m sorry, but the seeds won?t work for you.?

?So it will still be a battle,? Leon said.

Corvon picked up the two bags. ?At least we have some major advantages now, but how are we going to get back??

?Ho-Oh is nice,? Mew said. ?She?ll bring you back after your job is done. Now it?s time to go.?

Mewtwo and Mew both glowed with energy and they all found themselves on a sandy beach. To the North were the fire fields, where glowing cracks in the ground spouted forth numerous flames. Beyond that a scarred and hilly grassland was struck by lightning bolts every few minutes. Even further it looked like snow was falling. Behind all this a large mountain stood. At the top was their destination.

Lucario took a few of the seeds from Corvon. ?Let?s get this mission started.?

Silverhawk79

Wow, I only read the last chapter so far, but it's very good! :D
I'll have to read the rest of it sometime. Like the rank color, too. :P

DededeCloneChris

So, is he getting ideas from Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles?

Light

Another good chapter, SKB! Keep up the good work.
Holy crap all my sigs were always poop. Best leave this space alone.

Superkeeleybro

Quote from: wiiboychris on March 28, 2008, 08:02:19 AM

A few, but there's also so many other things.

On another note, I still need to go back and fix the quotations marks in earlier chapters that got messes up in forum problems. College keeps me busy, so that still might be a while.

DededeCloneChris

Quote from: Superkeeleybro on March 28, 2008, 06:32:39 PM
Quote from: wiiboychris on March 28, 2008, 08:02:19 AM

A few, but there's also so many other things.

On another note, I still need to go back and fix the quotations marks in earlier chapters that got messes up in forum problems. College keeps me busy, so that still might be a while.
Oh yeah, that is a problem too, I was dechipering all when I read the first 10 chapters.

THEBIRD

I've finally gotten a chance to start reading this. So anyway, I just finished the prologue. Very nice chapter, do you mind if I point out mistakes that I find? If it annoys you, I'll stop. I just have a knack to edit other people's work... I'm not telling you that you must go back and fix your errors, just something you could do if you wanted it to be absolutely perfect.

QuoteForde smoothly lifted himself from the table. He cautiously took his first steps and then walked at the pace of the others. In some glass on the wall, he caught a glimpse of his reflection.

You just forgot the 'the'. That's really all I noticed though, so good job. And on another note, it was a very good chapter. I'm bad with names so I'm glad the main character has a normal one, and I'm very interested in what happens in later chapters. I'll probably be reading one a day, so hopefully I can catch up soon.

Superkeeleybro

You can review things as much as you want, Birdie of Aces. I'd like that. You'll have to just ignore the messed up quotation marks for now, though.

Superkeeleybro

Okay, the problem with quotation marks and apostrophes should be fixes, so anyone not up to the latest chapters will have a better time of reading earlier chapters now. Expect a new chapter around tomorrow night.

Superkeeleybro

Chapter 22: Gateway to Eternity

They trekked into the rocky wasteland known as fiery field, carefully avoiding the burning cracks in the ground. Smoke and the smell of sulfur made breathing difficult at times, but any wild pokemon were scared away by their large group.

A large crevasse blocked the way, and the only path guarded by Entei. The large dog stood, brown and white fur billowing in the wind. It seemed as if it was waiting. They approached with caution, and soon it?s deep booming voice broke upon them.

?Why are you here??

?I?ll handle this,? Kita said quietly as she stepped forwards. ?Hello, Entei. It?s been a while, hasn?t it??

?Ah, it?s you. Where?s that human you travel with??

?Something happened to him, so it?s up to us to carry on his mission. Will you let us by without a battle?? Kita tried to look fierce as she made this request.

Entei gazed at her for a moment, and then looked at the others. ?That still doesn?t say why you are here.?

?Ho-Oh needed someone to investigate something in the spirit world, and so Mewtwo volunteered us to go.?

Entei stepped to the side of the path. ?If both Ho-Oh and Mewtwo want you to go through here then I?m not stopping you. Watch out for Raikou and good luck.?

They all stepped past Entei. Most of them gave a word of thanks as they walked past, but Draconis just stared at Entei without saying anything. After a short distance they arrived in thunder fields.

?I can?t believe we didn?t have to fight,? Draconis said.

?Isn?t that wonderful?? Annox asked.

Draconis?s tail twitched nervously. ?I?m not sure-?

A bolt of lightning hit a nearby hill, silencing them. Draconis wasn?t inclined to continue speaking as the group moved forwards. They kept in the low areas, seeing as how the hills were barren and blasted with the many strikes of lightning. No rain fell and a tense atmosphere filled the air. A sudden bolt hit the side of the hill right behind them.

Hurdy suddenly cried out in pain. Raikou, stormy mane billowing, was holding him up by biting the fin on his head. Raikou shook him around before tossing him to the side. The others all ate the seeds, turning invisible and gaining speed.

Such an unexpected tactic caught Raikou off-guard, and the dog paused for a moment until the first blows began to hit him. He unleashed a wave of electricity, stunning everyone but Chiro and Lucario. Chiro hit Raikou with a super fang and Lucario followed with aura sphere.

These attacks, combined with earlier blows, seemed to take their toll on Raikou. The dog backed up a few steps, glaring at them before it vanished in a flash of lightning. Suddenly it charged, surprising them with its speed. It tackled Lucario while placing a paw to hold Pachirisu down.

Lucario was using all his strength to keep its jaws from his throat. He was just as helpless as Chiro. If he let go, it would be over for him. Raikou saw that it wasn?t getting anywhere with Lucario, and started pressing harder on Chiro instead. Chiro let out a distressed squeak as it became hard to breathe. Lucario spun, kicking Raikou in the neck while keeping hold on its jaws. It shot another blast of electricity, and Lucario was stunned for a moment.

The brief moment was enough for Raikou to nearly tear out Lucario?s throat. He barely raised his arm in time, so only the tips of Raikou?s teeth grazed his neck. His hand was already bleeding heavily from the powerful bite, but his other one was from. Lucario hit Raikou in the side of the head with a force palm and kicked the leg that was holding Chiro down. Chiro sprang up, biting deeply into Raikou?s neck with his large teeth. The dog coughed and fell to the ground in a submissive pose.

?Grr, I give up. You may pass,? Raikou said.

Chiro released his bite. Another lightning bolt hit nearby and Raikou vanished, leaving everyone in silence. Hurdy was moaning in pain. Lucario held up his hand and a few droplets of blood fell from it.

?That looks bad,? Corvon said as the paralysis wore off. ?Let me get the healing supplies.? Corvon got out some berries and bandages. He first treated Lucario, squeezing the juices of a few berries into the wound before wrapping it. Next, Corvon gave Hurdy an oran berry as he wrapped a few bandages around the bite. After a moment he was done. ?Does that feel better?? Corvon asked.

?It?s bothersome, but I?ll live,? Lucario said.

Hurdy rubbed his fin. ?It stings a bit less, but it still hurts a ton. My fins are very sensitive.?

Peoria came over to take a look. ?Raikou was vicious. Good thing we drove it off.?

Annox was at Peoria?s side, as always. ?These seeds really helped. I?ve never felt so fast!? Annox ran a short ways away and returned, showing how much the seed had increased his movement.

?Let?s go. We shouldn?t waste time,? Lucario said.

The thunder faded into the background as they entered a snowy area at the foot of the mountain. A cold wind accompanied the falling snow, chilling everyone.

Chiro hopped through the snow since it was too deep for him to walk. His teeth began to chatter in the chill. ?Brr, it?s cold. Where?s Forde?s warm pocket when I need it??

Annox and Peoria were both shivering uncontrollably. They followed as closely behind Draconis as possible, staying near his fiery tail. After trudging through the snow for about an hour, a lone figure could be seen atop a distant hill. It watched them as they moved forwards, until finally it blocked their path.

Suicune stood, cold and unmoving. It gazed contemptuously at them all, but at Chiro in particular. ?Intruding again upon my land?? Suicune said, addressing Chiro and Kita.

Kita took a few steps forward. ?We have an important mission and you won?t stop us.?

?Then go quickly. I don?t want to mess with you today. That Pachirisu fights dirty.? Suicune bounded away into the falling snow, leaving the way open.

They kept walking, but Draconis kept looking at Chiro before approaching him. ?So, someone as small as you has Suicune worried? Can you really fight that well??

?Yeah, Suicune?s pretty good but I?m really fast. Why don?t you try to hit me??

?Are you sure? You might get hurt. My claws are sharp.?

Chiro readied himself a few feet away. ?I?m fine. Just try your best slash on me.?

Draconis ran forward, trying to hit Chiro. The squirrel flipped into the air right before the attack hit and landed on the top of Draconis?s head. ?See? Agility can really help a small guy like me. It would even help a larger pokemon like you. Hey, would you mind carrying me up here??

Draconis shook Chiro off his head. ?No! You can?t ride on my head.?

Leon, who had been rather silent the entire time, lowered his hand towards the ground. ?You can ride on my shoulders. I?m sure you probably miss Forde carrying you around.?

?Thank you so much!? Chiro scurried up Leon?s arm and began burrowing in the folds of the cloak around Leon?s neck.

Leon laughed loudly as Chiro got comfortable. ?Your fur tickles. Are you ready??

?Yeah, this is much better.? Chiro said before yawning. Chiro curled up tightly and was asleep after a few more minutes.

The snow and clouds began to thin, leaving them at the base of a massive granite mountain. Mt. Faraway, long a mysterious and far-off mountain, was before them. Erratic winds blew on its slope, carrying either warmth or cold, depending on which of the three fields they originated from. A rough trail wound up the mountain and they climbed to a nice ledge to camp on.

Peoria and Annox huddled close to the small fire and each other for warmth. Annox sneezed messily.

?Bless you!? Peoria said.

?Thanks. I hope going through all that snow didn?t give me a cold.?

Peoria leaned more on Annox. ?I?m filling really tired after all that cold, too. As soon as dinner is done, I?m going to sleep.?

?Yeah, I agree.?

Corvon pulled out an old blanket from his pack. ?Do you want this? I?m sure it will help you stay warmer.?

?Yes, please.? Peoria said. Corvon spread the blanket over her and Annox. Dinner was ready shortly, and as said, Peoria and Annox were immediately asleep afterwards.

Leon helped himself to another helping of the stew. ?This is pretty good. Corvon, you and Lucario are great cooks.?

?Years in the wilderness helped teach us that,? Corvon said. ?Lucario is fine with raw meat, but I need mine cooked. At first we weren?t much good, but we?ve learned to work together to make great things.?

Lucario gazed into the fire. ?At first I thought cooking made the food worse, but once we got good enough, I enjoyed it more than raw meat. I still do enjoy a freshly killed Bidoof from time to time, though.?

?Uh, well? that?s nice,? Leon said, not wanting to imagine Lucario killing and eating other pokemon. Leon finished his second bowl of stew and was asleep before long.

Draconis and Hurdy finished their food and sat near the fire. Draconis grabbed a few more sticks and lit them on fire for fun before tossing them in the actual fire. ?Only one short battle today, and I was expecting three difficult ones.?

Hurdy rubbed the bandages on his fin. ?Fighting three legendaries would have slowed us down quite a bit. Someone might have been seriously injured. Battle was better to avoid today.?

Draconis poked at the fire with his claws. ?I know, but I?m trying to get stronger. One short battle isn?t enough!?

?There may be battles ahead, so calm down, Draconis. Who knows what we?ll find in the spirit world??

?At the very least we know we?ll get to see the spirits. I?m sure my ancestors will have some good advice on fighting.?

?I?d much rather have their advice on life. Why don?t we get some rest, so we?re ready for meeting them tomorrow??

Draconis curled right next to the fire, so that his tail was directly in it. ?Sure.? He shut his eyes, and Hurdy soon followed.

Now only Lucario, Kita, and Corvon were awake. Corvon was polishing his sword and cleaning up after the meal, but approached Lucario. ?Lucario, I think Kita needs someone to talk to her. She hasn?t been eating much and she?s just been off alone. Why don?t you go try to cheer her up.?

Lucario slowly got to his feet, reluctant to leave the warm fire. ?I?m not sure how much good I?ll do, but I?ll try.?

Kita was off by herself near the edge. She seemed to be staring out into the distance. Her half-eaten bowl of stew had gone cold. Lucario picked it up as he sat down beside her, dangling his feet over the edge.

?So you aren?t hungry? You haven?t eaten much since we?ve been traveling with you.? Kita did look more bony than a few months ago and her skin seemed to be more tightly stretched.

?Oh, I haven?t felt much like eating? it just isn?t the same without Forde.?

?Taking grief too far isn?t what he would want. You need to remain strong so you can finish his last mission he gave you.?

?Yes, but what will I do after that? He?s been the one that?s led me through my whole life. I volunteered to be one of his companions because I didn?t know what to do with myself, back when I was an Eevee.?

?I know I?d feel pretty lost without Corvon, but I?m sure I?d go back to my old ways. I guess you never really had much before Forde, though. Perhaps you could raise a family??

?Hmm? do you promise to keep what we?ve been talking about a secret??

Lucario raised an arm across his chest. ?I won?t tell anyone, you have my word of honor.?

?Ah, okay, I suppose I?ll tell you this.? Kita paused for a long time. ?I won?t deny I haven?t desired to start a family. It?s in my very instincts. I?ve held them off out of duty for Forde, but once this mission is done, I suppose I could follow your suggestion. I secretly did like Glint, but kept him at a distance out of duty.?

?I?m sure he would be happy to see you. Now why don?t you warm up the rest of your food and finish it??

?Okay, thanks for talking with me, Lucario. You?re quite a good listener. You know, maybe I?d like you as my mate instead of Glint.?

Lucario?s face turned a deep red and he quickly took Kita?s bowl to warm it up over the fire. That talk certainly ended unexpectedly, and when Kita returned to the fire the two stared at each other before Lucario handed over the bowl of reheated stew. Kita ate the stew quickly before curling up right next to Lucario. Lucario edged away. Corvon was asleep by now, so Lucario threw a little more wood into the fire as he thought. Perhaps knowing Kita better wouldn?t be such a bad thing. She was strong and powerful. Lucario didn?t know if she had much of a soft side, but she seemed to have shown a little of it tonight. Lucario walked back near her and laid down to sleep.

The next day was filled with climbing Mt. Faraway. Corvon led the group, while Leon brought up the rear. A few times they had to climb over slippery piles where rockslides had been through. Annox and Peoria helped each other and got over quickly. Everyone else struggled by themselves, slipping and sliding a bit as they made their way across. Kita accidentally dislodged a key rock, and all the rocks around her started to slide. She jumped, but not far enough. Instead of falling into the tumbling rocks, a strong hand caught hold of her.

?You should be careful.? Lucario set her back on stable ground. ?But I?ve got your back.?

?Thanks.?

Everyone crossed the area of broken rocks safely and they continued up the trail. Lucario and Kita walked much closer together now, each glancing at the other from time to time. As the sun was setting, the group finally reached a flat area near the top of the mountain. A sheer stone wall with strange markings led up to a massive nest where Ho-Oh was sitting. Ho-Oh glided down from her perch, and stood tall and powerful as she landed. Her rainbow feathers shimmered in the setting sun.

?So, Mewtwo?s group arrives,? Ho-Oh said. ?I have much to explain, so have these fruits for your dinner as I talk.?

Ho-Oh indicated a pile of strange fruit, probably gathered by her from some of the trees and bushes of the mountain. They each grabbed a few and settled down to hear Ho-Oh.

Ho-Oh spread her wings wide. ?Listen as I explain the task that is before you! You are going into a place much different than our own, so every detail I say will help you from being lost. I hope you are prepared to enter the spirit world.?

?I?m ready,? Draconis said quietly.

?Hmph, you may think that now, but you do not know the slightest thing about where I?m sending you. In the realm of spirits, your pasts and emotions play very strongly into what you find. If you slip too deeply into dark thoughts, then you will surely meet dark spirits. Any spirits connected to you will be free to find you as you journey through the spirit world. Be prepared, for I will be sending you there at tomorrow?s dawn.?

Hurdy raised his hand out of old habit. ?I have a question. The spirits won?t be able to do any harm to us, right??

?The spirits can?t do physical harm, but seeing the dead again can sometimes be painful on the heart. With a strong heart, you will have nothing to worry about. Now if there are no other questions, I will retire to my nest for meditation. Opening the gate requires being in tune with the energies of the spirits.?

?No, we have no other questions,? Leon said after a moment of waiting.

Ho-Oh returned to her nest, and everyone finished the remainder of the fruit Ho-Oh had gathered for them. The view from the mountaintop was spectacular, so they all took their time walking about. The entire island was stretched out below and off in the distance was Deltan. Corvon and Lucario eventually got away from the others enough to talk quietly and not be overheard.

?Did speaking with Kita go well last night?? Corvon said. ?The both of you seem much closer today. I?ve seen the way you?ve been looking at each other.?

?It went well, but there was nothing you need to know,? Lucario said quickly.

?I understand if Kita wants you to keep her feelings secret. She wouldn?t want them known to everyone. It?s nothing I mean to pry in, so I won?t mention it again.?

?Yes, that would be for the best.?

Soon it grew too dark to see much, but the view of the stars from the peak was amazing. They all looked at the bands and swirls of twinkling stars for a while as they drifted off. Lucario was laying next to Corvon and was about to drift off when he was awakened by Kita laying next to him. He opened one eye a moment, and looked at her before shutting it and going to sleep.

Ho-Oh awakened them as she sang a strange song. She completed it and turned to them. ?I hope you all slept well last night. Now, it is time for me to open the gateway to the spirit world. Stand clear!?

Ho-Oh began to chant and dance about. The markings of the cliff began to glow. Ho-Oh continued her shrill cries and after a few more minutes of chanting, shot her sacred fire straight at the stone wall with the markings. The wall seemed to melt away in a great circle. Now the gate led to somewhere else. Mist shrouded the entrance and the edges of the gate glowed with a ghostly light.

?Go now and return safely,? Ho-Oh said.

They each took a deep breath before stepping into the gateway to the realm of spirits.

Pokemaster218

Nice new chapter. I wonder who they will meet in the spirit world. Passed away loved ones? Long dead enemies? Heros of a by-gone age? I can't wait for the next chapter.