News:

<Clu> no nsfcd is basically a ghost town, it should be killed behind fences

Main Menu

Naka-Kon

Started by Silverhawk79, March 06, 2010, 04:56:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silverhawk79

A few weeks back, I had the privilege of attending a local anime convention, Naka-Kon. This was to be my first convention, and it was quite an experience. The con itself was held in a Hyatt Regency hotel in Kansas City, ensuring plenty of space for the various panels and merch booths.

Unfortunately, I was only able to stay for about 6 or 7 hours, so I wasn't able to experience many panels or activities. The one panel I was able to attend was called The Definitive Voice Actor Panel. I ended up showing up in the middle of it, but it was still pretty interesting. Kyle Herbert, voice of Young Gohan and the narrator in DragonBall Z was one of the voice actors, along with Wendy Powell and a few others. Wendy told a story about how her sister managed to beat cancer, which was a really awesome story to hear.

The real highlight of the entire event was seeing all the incredible costumes people put together. Aside from the usual Full Metal Alchemist characters (I counted 8 separate Edward Elric cosplayers) and a large amount of Pokemon (4 Pikachus), there were some pretty great and creative costumes. My favorite was probably the Pyro from Team Fortress 2. Then again, I'm just a sucker for anything TF2-related.  [spoiler][/spoiler]  As for myself, my “costume” was just a Mario hat and a nerdy shirt. Nothing terribly exciting. [spoiler][/spoiler]

The final part of the con was the enormous merchandise room. Booth after booth of anime-related merch was laid out, and ready to empty your wallet. I didn't spend much at all. In fact, the only thing I bought was a Nintendo DS stylus and an amazing sketch from the great guys at They All Bleed The Same.
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]
The merch room was also a great place to see many other costumes, including one creative soul who was cosplaying as Tetris. That's right, cosplaying as a game. It was quite a sight. As my time at the con drew to a close, I attempted to get in line for a signing by the voice actors who were in the previously mentioned panel. Unfortunately, my friend's mom arrived too soon and picked us up. Hey, parking is expensive, and I'm not paying $24 to park my own car. Before we left, though, my friend gave Wendy Powell a sketch that she drew for her, and Wendy gave her an autograph.

All in all, Naka-Kon was an amazing experience for my first anime convention ever. Definitely going to go next year when it rolls around, and I might even dress up.
To see the rest of the images: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/silverhawk79/Naka-Kon/

Nayrman

Momocon is two weekends from now, and I'm helping staff it.
I usually go to Momocon and Anime Weekend Atlanta in September. Usually my fill of cons since I leave with a lot less money than I walked in.

Last AWA I met Vic Mignogna (Ed Elric, Broly, Tamaki), talked to him a short bit and got two autographs. I was going to talk to Catie Glass (Winry Rockbell, Haruhi from Ouran) as well, but she had to leave early for some reason.

Dude, the events are always the best time. Especially the ones just for fun. AWA's "Totally Lame Anime" and "Midnight Madness" is always hilarious. There are rumors of AMV Hell 5 next year, which would be FREAKIN' AWESOME if true.

BOREDFOREVER

I had no idea this thing was going on.

DededeCloneChris

I had no idea Silver looked like that.

Friendly Hostile

My campus has Toracon coming up apparently.

Custom

Quote from: Viewtifulboy on March 11, 2013, 07:28:20 AM
Good job! I, Viewtifulboy, declare you the CHAMPION!

I'm the official winner of the Viewtiful Victory roleplay championship!

Macawmoses

GoNintendo linked your gallery :)

Anarchy_Jas

ACEn is in May! Can't wait! ~*SQUEE!*~ I bought my weekend pass... that's Friday to Sunday... for $50 a couple of days ago, and I'm waiting for it to come in the mail now. I'm going with six of my friends, dressed as people from Black Cat (with me being Kyoko). Then on the days that we're doing our own cosplay I'm going as Rally from Gunsmith Cats and either one of my RP chars or Michiko from Michiko to Hatchin. Then there's the bubble parties and raves to look forward to. XD Since one of my friends doesn't live far from the con, we're just gonna stay with her for the whole weekend. I've got some pics from last year.
[spoiler]
We're almost 2 hours early, it's cold as intercourse , so what did we do? Play Uno with some random guys.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Still outside, freezing our asses off. It didn't help that it was a windy day.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Me gettin' my DDR on.
[spoiler][/spoiler]
[spoiler][/spoiler]

This sign... Could it be!?
[spoiler][/spoiler]

It is! It's the Ouran Host Club! OMG *Fangirl squeal* I don't care if more than 1/2 of the people who dressed up as them were female, I ♥ the Host Club! They did a good job btw.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Just us runnin' on pure adrenaline because we were too excited and only got 3 hours of sleep.
[spoiler][/spoiler]
[/spoiler]
"I know they hope I fall, but tell 'em winning is my muthaeffin protocol."

Magnum

I've never actually been to a 'kon/con'. I really would like to go one day, just to meet some voice actors. I would love their job  \:

Oh Vesperia, never change... never change