News:

Our thoughts go to Silver and his family in this difficult time.

Main Menu

Super Mario Bros. 5: Rise of the Darkness ///6-20-08: Epilogue Posted!!!\\\

Started by shadowmarioguy, October 26, 2007, 02:58:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadowmarioguy

Hello, and welcome to Super Mario Bros. 5.  It's basically the beginning of the end, and will lead to more excitement and drama.  I'm hoping for the series to take a brand new turn.  But based on my ideas so far, SMB6 will be the best so far.

Every one of the Shadow Shrowds, a group of conquerers that are after the Mushroom Kingdom, holds a heart wrenching secret within.  And as the plot thickens, their shocking truths are revealed in an epic tale filled with adventure and heart stopping action!

Fanfic Summaries:

Since the first three weren't so good, I'll be redoing them after I finish this one.  The original, poor ones will not be posted at all.  So here are summaries instead.  I plan to post the new Super Mario Bros. 1-3 in one thread over summer break after this fic is over.

Super Mario Bros. 1: Legend of the Evil Demon- Bowser and King Boo have a scheme to summon a demon that was sealed away in the Shadow Shrine, using the power of the Shadow Keys.  They let the Mario Bros. do all of their work for them, by kidnapping Peach and telling them they had to find the keys in order for them to not kill the princess.  They obtain all of the keys, but as they are at the front of the Shadow Shrine, Mario is able to defeat the duo and avoid the summoning of the demon.

Super Mario Bros. 2: Sunshine Adventure- Nothing here is really that important except the fact that Bowser is working on a new invention.  Basically Mario returns to Isle Delfino and is framed once again by Bowser and Jr.  But Mario proves his innocence and defeats Bowser.  Bowser exits and claims he will be working on a new invention.

Super Mario Bros. 3: The Ultimate Killer- If only I was a better writer at the time out wrote this one.  All you have to know is mysterious characters have made a metal copy of Mario.  He goes around worlds, conquering them.  Mario faces him many times, and in the final battle he wins, but at the cost of his own life.

Super Mario Bros. 4: The Double Agent- Evil has gone amok in the MK again, but Mario's not around to stop it.  The demon Mario was trying to stop in SMB1 has been unleashed.  In a desperate struggle, Mario's friends try to save the world, but to no avail.  Through some strange events with a warrior named Skulleon, Mario is granted another chance at life.  Mario returns, and equipped with a new technique called the Iceball, he makes short work of the demon, Chaos.  But Mario is framed by another copy of himself, and things are once again in an uproar.  Mario proves his innocence and defeats the ultimate tag team of Nightmare, the fake Mario, and his old enemy who has come back to life, Metal Mario.

Chapter Index

Character Bios

Mario

What can I say?  You know who he is!  There is once again trouble in the Mushroom Kingdom, and it's up to Mario to stop it.  He now has the Iceball abiltiy, which closely rivals the Fireball ability, except with ice.  He now has enhanced speed and power, but his true limitations are unknown.  As far as personality goes, Mario's good to go!  When he first entered the Mushroom Kingdom, he didn't care deeply about it or even suspect himself to be it's true hero.  Now, his personality has undergone a huge change.  He truly cares for his new friends, and he'll do anything to protect his kingdom.  To an extent, Mario always wants a fair fight.  He is hesitant to kill his foes.  This explains why Bowser has managed to stay alive even after all of the times he was trounced by Mario.

Luigi

Luigi is Mario's younger brother.  Luigi deeply respects his brother, and is often reminded of him.  Luigi can be a bit cowardly sometimes, but deep down he is very courageous and heroic.  Luigi can't stand the thought of anything bad happening to Mario.  His mentor is the Master, who hopes to give Luigi the power and support to be one of the Mushroom Kingdom's most famous heroes.

Princess Peach

Peach is the ruler of the Mushroom Kingdom.  Time and time again she has been kidnapped by Bowser.  She has hidden feelings for Mario, who is always there for her.  Princess Peach is sincere and caring, but can also react strongly to being tricked.

E. Gadd

This small, wrinkly old man has been inventing things for as long as anyone can remember!  Fate would soon have it that he would eventually get mixed in with the Mario Bros.!  He made his debut in Luigi's Mansion by providing Luigi with ghost hunting equipment to save Mario from King Boo.  Next, although he did not make direct contact with Mario, one of his inventions were used to thwart Bowser in Super Mario Sunshine.  Ever since, E. Gadd has got dragged into many of Mario's battles and adventures.  He is constantly coming up with new gadgets to help Mario and his friends, and he always takes pride in his work.  Though he's small and defenseless, his technology and intellect are both a big help to Mario and his friends.

Bowser

Mario's rival, Bowser has been beaten for the last time (so he says).  This time, he surely will have a plan to not only kidnap Peach and beat Mario, but conquer the kingdom as well.  Bowser is very evil, although he is also very ignorant.  He bosses Kammy around and takes all the credit.  He is one of the biggest threats to the Mushroom Kingdom.

Grodus

This mechanical genius has been brought back by Shade to do his evil bidding.  Grodus and Wart worked together and stole the Power Star and Star Rod, but they were a little to careless in covering their tracks...  Grodus is a robot, therefore making him very smart and a bit cocky.  His staff allows him to fire lightning bolts at enemies, as well as do a few other new things that have yet to be seen.  Grodus hates Mario for ruining his plan to resurrect the Shadow Queen, even though she turned her back on him anyway.

Wart

Another one of Mario's old foes.  Wart originates from SMB2, which was technically just a dream.  But it was a dream that foreshadowed something much bigger, involving not only Wart, but all of the Shadow Shrowds.  Although Wart isn't the brightest, he makes up for it with brawn.  In a sense, he is a lot like Bowser, except a little stronger.  Will the deadly team of Wart and Grodus be too much for even Mario?

Cackletta

She was the main enemy of Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga.  She tried to steal Peach's voice and take control of the Bean Star to conquer the Beanbean Kingdom.  However, the Mario Bros. were able to thwart her evil plan after a long and hilarious adventure.  Cackletta's main attacks involve magic, which makes her a perfect comrade for Princess Shroob.  The two have grown quite fond of each other, and share in their disgust for Mario.  She also has a few dirty tricks up her sleeve...

Cackletta's Soul:

(Just so you know what she looks like on the inside when she takes over someone's body.)

Princess Shroob

She was the main antogonist of Mario and Luigi: Partners In Time.  She and her entire army of Shroobs tried to conquer the Mushroom Kingdom when Mario and Luigi were just babies.  But how is it possible if Mario and Luigi grew up in Brooklyn?  Let's just say that it took place just after Yoshi's Island... (that's all I'll say for now)  Luckily, the adult Mario and Luigi ended up in the past as well through a series of events, and they were able to team up with themselves to save the past.  Thanks to Lord Shade, however, she is back and has teamed up with Cackletta.  Man, this Lord Shade is really a pain in the butt!

Velno

No picture available...

Velno is a hideous beast that came from the sewers of Brooklyn.  He intends to drain the life out of everyone in the Mushroom Kingdom, thus making him more powerful.  He is about eight feet tall, and his skin is blue with shades of green running down his arms and legs.  Velno's head is deformed and looks like the head of a fly.  Not only is he revolting, but he is fast too.  Even Mario had trouble keeping up with him.  Will Velno achieve his goal?

Lord Shade

Although there is not much known about him, Shade has one goal and will do anything to achieve it: Rule the world!  Shade is the perfect name for him because he is a bit of a 'shady' character. (no pun intended  :P)  He leads a group called the Shadow Shrowds, an elite fighting force that contains warriors from around the universe.  Now, he has set his sights on the Mushroom Kingdom.  What secrets do he and his minions hold within?

Here is a map that you can use to refer to different places in the MK:

shadowmarioguy

Prologue: Identities Revealed

?What?!  Tell me again, Wart!?  a cloaked figure roared in frustration.  He slammed his fists on his lap.  ?Slowly, this time!?

Wart was shaking feverishly under the cold stare of the dark lord.  ?Forgive me, sire.  I merely do not wish to displease you.?

?The fool has no backbone,? Grodus chuckled, ?but I suppose we?ll need his army eventually.  Just spit it out so we can make our next move!?

?Uh, Metal Mario and Chaos have both been beaten? by Mario,? Wart replied nervously.  ?Just please don?t hurt me!?  Beads of sweat dropped from the back of Wart?s neck.

?You know how the saying goes, Wart.  Don?t shoot the messenger!  For now you are all needed in order to claim this kingdom.?  The shadowy king turned to face a giant monitor on the wall.  On it, Mario?s battle with the giant Metal Mario was displayed.

?Y- You blasted through my chest?!? Metal Mario cried out in rage.  ?DIE!?

He blasted a huge Silver Fireball right at Mario.  It appeared to hit Mario directly.  The blast went off like a time bomb.  When it was safe to look, Metal Mario scanned his surroundings.  ?Got him.?

?Not quite!?  Mario stood unharmed atop a pile of rubble.  Instantly, he was in front of Metal Mario and knocking him senseless.

?How did you get this strong?? Metal Mario asked, quaking in fear.

?I had a little extra help, that?s all,? Mario replied briskly.  ?Now, I have a job to finish!  It?s over!?

Metal Mario seemed to turn red with rage.  ?Only I decide when this battle is over!!  No more mercy; I?m going to destroy this entire kingdom!?

Metal Mario drifted up skyward.  He lifted his hands to the heavens, and a giant silver ball of energy formed.  ?This is the end!?  He tossed the ball.

?Mario!  You can?t stop that!? Skulleon roared from nowhere.

?I have to try,? he said dryly. 

Mario created an attack of his own: the Ultra Iceball.  He shot it at the ball that would bring the kingdom to its demise.  It was more of an Ice Wave because it wasn?t in the shape of a ball.  Mario was converting it into a wave to reverse the ball?s direction.

It had no effect.  ?Darn!  What do I do now??  The ball drew closer to hitting land.  ?I?ve got it!?

In one hand, Mario created another Ultra Iceball.  In the other, he made an Ultra Fireball.  With one last hope, he launched them at the Silver Ball of Doom, which was only a few feet from his face.

?Hah!  You can?t win with those silly attacks!?

The Fireball and Iceball merged to become a larger, purple sphere of pure energy.  It swallowed up Metal Mario?s blast and hit him directly.  ?My lord will destroy you one day!  Long live the-? Metal Mario was cut off as he slowly deformed and faded away into oblivion.

?Hmm? This Mario character puzzles me. He may be the one spoken of in the prophecy.  I am concerned.  You and Grodus are the next line of defense.  The time is now!  We need those four Oracles of Power!  Do you want me to become even mightier?!  Then hurry!?  He may be the one spoken of in the prophecy.  But I could?ve sworn that he died long ago!

?Yes master!? Wart squealed as he started to back away.

?Wait, before you go, I have a question.  You and Grodus agreed to join my galactic army, the Shadow Shrowds, almost a year ago.  Have you no regrets??

Wart thought for a moment.  Oh yeah!  ?Not a one, sir.  I love working with you, Lord Shade.?

Shade cackled.  ?Excellent, we will make short work of Mario, and then I will rule the world!?

One of Shade?s minions glared at the screen that showed the replay of Mario?s battle with his metal counterpart over and over again.  He seems to become stronger when his friends? lives are in stake.  Interesting?

?Gwar har har har!  I?m so awesome!? Bowser chuckled.  ?I?ve got total control of my castle again!?

?Yes sir,? Kammy responded wearily.  ?Tell me again: Why do you want me to build a robotic version of Peach??

?No problem, seeing as how brilliant I am.  First, what I need to do is get the Star Rod.  Mario barely made it out of my castle in one piece last time I got it.  Then all I have to do is use Robo Peach to my advantage, if you know what I mean.?

Kammy sighed.  ?I hope you know what you?re doing.?

?Of course I do!  When have I been wrong before??

But Bowser was oblivious to the fact that he was making someone else?s job way too easy.

shadowmarioguy

Chapter 1: Bowser?s Plan in Action

?Hey, bro!  Wake up!? Luigi called to Mario.  He was standing at his bedside literally yelling in his ear.

Mario finally sat up and looked around.  ?Hey, what?s up??

Luigi glared at him.  ?What?s up?!  It?s noon!  You?ve been tossing and turning since nine o? clock!  What?s wrong??

Mario?s face turned grim.  ?It was a nightmare.  This robed man with piercing red eyes and a blood-curling grin challenged me to a fight.  I accepted, but I was no match for him.  He was two steps ahead of me for every attack I threw at him.  He killed me, and then everyone else in the kingdom.?

?Whoa, that was no ordinary nightmare,? Luigi declared in a choked voice.  ?But hey, we were invited to Peach?s Castle to celebrate the defeat of Metal Mario and Nightmare.  Let?s get going!?

Mario got up and looked at the clock.  ?Mama-mia!  We?ve only got one hour!?

http://gh.ffshrine.org/song/2643/80

?Outta? my way, you jerks!? Bowser roared as he rushed past the Royal Guardians of the Star Shrine.

The seven Star Spirits appeared and charged at Bowser.  ?Stupid star things!  Get away!?  Bowser swatted them all away and snatched the Star Rod.  ?With this, Mario will never beat me!?

?Your grunginess, Mario and Luigi are now at Mushroom Castle,? Kammy reported briskly.  She took a bow and turned to leave.

?Wait, Kammy!  There?s no need to fly when we can just warp to the castle gates!  Come on, you old hag!  Get Robo Peach and Jr. into position!?

Peach stood on a podium before hundreds of Toads.  Among them were Mario and Luigi.  ?And lastly, I?d like to thank Mario, for keeping the kingdom safe- Eeek!?

Bowser Jr. grabbed Peach and made a dash for the door.  Mario stood up and chased after them.  ?Not again!? one of the Toads groaned. 

?Catch me if ya? can, suckers!? Jr. shouted back as Mario sprinted after him with his brother close behind.

?Stop, you puny little Koopa!? Miraculously, Jr. stopped and put Peach down.  ?Huh??  Mario finally looked around and noticed that they had run into western half of Forever Forest.  No one could tell their exact location.

?I think this is far enough,? Jr. muttered under his breath.  He took a few steps away from Peach.  ?You guys are faster than I thought.  You win.?

Mario and Luigi skeptically stepped forward to Peach.  ?I guess you?re not that bad after all,? Luigi sighed.  ?Let?s get Peach back to the castle.?

?Suckers!? Jr. laughed as he drew his paintbrush and created a force field around Mario, Luigi, and Peach.  ?Have fun!?

He took out a remote and pressed a button.  A copter with Bowser?s face on it drifted down toward Jr., who hopped in.  He flew away, mad with laughter.

?That dirty little brat!? Peach shouted in disgust.  ?Mario, can you break us out of here??

?I can try,? Mario replied.  He gave the barrier his greatest punch.

DONG

Mario?s fist bounced right off the wall.  ?Err? I was just warming up!?  He punched it again.

DONG

Nothing.  ?What?s with this door?!  Stand back guys; this?ll get us out of here.? 

?I hope he knows what he?s doing,? Luigi whispered to Peach.

Mario shot an Ultra Fireball at the force field.  No effect.  Then an Ultra Iceball.  Not even a sound.  ?That?s it!?  He shot both an Ultra Fireball and Iceball at the same time at the wall.  A cold chill ran through the inside of the barrier, and then they felt a burning sensation.

DING

?I guess we won?t be escaping any time soon, then??

shadowmarioguy

Chapter 2: One Peach or Two?

On the podium that Peach had stood on moments ago was Bowser, gripping Robo Peach in his hands.  He was blathering to the large cluster of Toads about how he saved ?Peach?.

?Yes, it was me that saved Peach!  Mario was no match for Peach?s kidnapper, so I stepped in and saved her!? Bowser shouted triumphantly.

One of the Toads called back, ?But didn?t your son kidnap her in the first place?!?  The entire group began to join in and shout nasty things at the Koopa King.

?That?s what he?uh? wanted you to think!? Bowser snapped back, not too sure of himself.  ?It was really some? other guy? disguised as Jr.!  Do you think I?m lying?  Ask Robo- err? Peach!?

?It?s-true.  He-saved-me,? Robo Peach chimed in. 

?So what?  We still like Mario better!!? another Toad challenged.  ?So put Peach down and scram!?

?Actually, ?Peach? had an idea.  Tell ?em, Peach!?

?I-would-like-to-resign-as-ruler-of-the-Mushroom-Kingdom.  I-hereby-make-Bowser-the-king-of-the-Mushroom-Kingdom.?

?What?! No way!!?  Cries of disgust came from the audience.

?Don?t worry,? Bowser said in a coaxing voice.  ?I have some ?nice? changes for this kingdom.?

?Hyah!!? Mario cried as he threw another punch at the barrier.  ?Ayah!?

?Mario!  Calm down!  I can destroy the barrier myself!?  Peach shrieked.  ?You need to save your energy; I have a feeling you?ll need it.?

Mario heaved a great sigh.  Large beads of sweat ran down the back of his neck.  ?So, you think you can do any better??

Luigi cut in.  ?Bro, nine times outta? ten Peach is right.  Just listen up.?

?What did you have in mind, then??

Peach gestured for Mario to sit.  ?Just let me handle this.?  She raised her hands to the sky and closed her eyes.  Clearly she was trying to concentrate.  Mario and Luigi heard a faint ringing sound, which was coming from the barrier.  Suddenly, it flashed three times, each flash quicker than the last.

?Hit it now!? Peach screamed.

?Hyah!?  Mario kicked the force field, shattering it to pieces.  ?How did you do that??

Peach put her arms down and grinned.  ?Royal powers have been passed from my mother to me.  I used them to weaken the barrier, allowing you to destroy it.?

Mario and Luigi marveled at the pieces of the barrier that lay scattered on the ground.  ?Whoa??

?There?s no time for that now!  Let?s get back to the castle!?

Bowser sat at what used to be Peach?s throne.  He was bossing the Toads around and playing mind games with them.  ?NO!  Idiot!  I asked for a poisonous snake, not a delicious cake!!?

?Hey, why are we letting that scum boss us around!? a Toad bellowed out.

Bowser breathed a long streamed of fire that burnt the Toad to a crisp.  ?Because Peach said I was king!  And the king gets whatever he wants!  Isn?t that right, Peach??

?Yes-Lord-Bowser.?

Bowser snarled.  ?Here that?  I get whatever I want!  Now go get me a poisonous snake so I can throw it at you!?

?Why, sir?? one of the Toads asked sheepishly.

?Why?  Because it?s fun, that?s why!  Besides, as king, I can do whatever I want.  Now get me my poisonous snake!?

Mario, Luigi, and Peach dashed through Forever Forest without any sense of direction.  ?Hey Peach, do you have any idea where we are??

?Yes.  We?re in Forever Forest,? Peach retorted sarcastically.  ?Where?s Luigi??

Mario turned around and saw that Luigi had stopped.  ?Luigi, why are you holding us up??

Luigi pointed west.  ?I think that?s out house over there!  See?"

?Yeah, I can see part of the roof!  Let?s go that way!  We can use our warp pipe to get to Mushroom Castle faster!?

shadowmarioguy

Chapter 3: Detained With Terror

As they made a dash for the Mario household, time seemed to stand still.  They brushed past an endless array of bushes and shrubs, while tall, thick grass pulled at their legs.  Mario led the group, with Luigi and Peach close behind.  As he drew closer to his house, Mario tripped over something protruding from the ground.

?Whoa!? Mario he screeched as he fell flat on his face.  ?What the??

Luigi and Peach stopped dead in their tracks.  Luigi helped his brother up.  ?Are you okay??

Mario?s face turned pale.  ?I- Is that what I think it is??  He had tripped over a red pipe that stuck up about a foot out of the ground.  ?It is.?

It was Luigi?s turn to become worried.  ?Mario, you know what?s on the other side of this pipe??

Mario nodded.  ?Uh-huh.  Brooklyn.  Exactly where we came from.?

Peach was still confused.  ?So what?  Why are you so worried??

Mario swallowed hard.  ?The pipe is one-way only.  It only appears if something has come out from the other end.  In other words, someone or something from Brooklyn is here.?

?Does it matter?? Peach inquired, still curious.

Luigi explained this time.  ?At the time we first were cleaning out the sewers where the other end of this pipe is, no one without a permit was allowed into the sewers.  We were the only ones with a permit because we had defeated Donkey Kong, so we had experience.?

?Experience with what?? Peach asked.

Mario shivered and began to speak.  ?Some mutant creature lived in the sewers.  We had experience in fighting powerful opponents, so we were sent to clean out the pipelines where the monster lived.  It?s here.  I know it.?

?Eeeek!? Peach screamed.  ?I saw something over there!?

Mario stood ready for anything that came his way.  ?Peach, Luigi, listen up.  Get out of here as fast as you can.  Luigi, I need you to keep Peach safe.  If I don?t come back, then beat Bowser yourself.?

?R- Right!  Not that I don?t wanna? help you, or anything.  I mean, it?s n- not like I?m scared,? Luigi stammered as he and Peach made a break for the Mario residence.

Mario let out a sigh of relief when he saw them jump down a barely visible pipe that led to Toad Town.  ?Alright, where are you??

?Ah, Mario.  It?s been ages since I last saw you in the sewers.  Good thing I found this nifty pipe.?

?Who is it?!? Mario challenged, quavering. 

?Let me introduce myself,? he said in a taunting voice as he stepped out from the shadows.  ?I am Velno.  I have come in search of power, and I will drain the power from every being in the Mushroom Kingdom, starting with you!?

Mario winced in terror as he saw Velno?s horrid figure.  He was about eight feet tall, and his skin was blue with shades of green running down his arms and legs.  Velno was not even close to being humanoid; in fact, he looked like a giant bug.  He stood up like a normal human; on two feet with three sharp claws at the end of each.  His hands were the same way.  Velno?s head was deformed and looked like the head of a fly.

?Ugh, has anyone told you how ugly you are?!? Mario shouted in disgust.

?Here?s a tip: keep your cool!  If you do, maybe I won?t be able to suck the life out of you!  That is, if you can keep up!?

Velno dashed over to Mario and landed a quick punch across his cheek.  Mario flew backward and landed nimbly on his feet.  A cut that ran from his cheek to his ear appeared on his face.  ?How is he that fast??

Velno merely laughed and charged again at Mario.  This time Velno delivered a kick to Mario?s chest, then gave him an uppercut that sent him soaring into the air.  Velno warped up to meet Mario, and then pounded him to the ground.  Mario struggled to his feet and watched in horror as Velno came down toward him with his mouth wide open.

?He?s not gonna? eat me, is he?!? Mario shrieked.  Now his mind was racing.  What could he do?  He?s too fast, I can?t even touch him.  I?ll have to finish him some other way.  ?You seem hungry, Velno.  Then eat this!?

Mario shot an Iceball that went right inside Velno?s mouth, turning him to an ice statue.  ?Now I?ll finish you!?  Mario unleashed a barrage of Fireballs at the ice sculpture.  Then, in all of the confusion, he made a break for his house.

?There?s no way he survived that one,? Mario congratulated himself as he jumped into the pipe that led to Toad Town.

Velno watched him escape through his hawkish, red eyes.  ?You win this time.?  He got up and added with a grin, ?You can only hide from me for so long.  Soon I will suck the energy from everyone in this kingdom!?

?Hah!  Luigi, you are no match for my might!? Bowser laughed.  ?At least, not when I have the Star Rod, anyway.  If you tell me where Peach is, I?ll let you go.?

?Never!? Luigi snapped defiantly.  ?I won?t lose!  Not for my bro!?

He jumped up and put the remainder of his energy into a single Fireball.  It struck Bowser directly in the face, but it did no harm.  Bowser snickered some more and raised the Star Rod.  A bolt of lightning came out of nowhere and nailed Luigi.

?Bwahahahahahahahahaha!  Shocking, isn?t it?!  Oh, that?s rich!?

shadowmarioguy

Chapter 4: The Fall of Bowser

?Gwahahahaha!  I love being king!? Bowser cackled at the fallen Luigi.  ?Still, you are no use to me if you will not tell me where Peach is.  I guess I?ll just have to kill you.?

?No?? Luigi moaned as he fell to the ground, out of strength.  ?I can?t? go on??

Bowser shot a rainbow colored ball at Luigi from the Star Rod.  A lone Iceball came out of nowhere and countered Bowser?s attack.

?What?!?  Bowser roared as he looked around for the culprit.

?Look above you!? Mario replied from the top of a chandelier.  ?Your guards give the worst takeout.  I asked them for some pasta and they attacked me.  Leave it to you to establish such a lousy kingdom.?

?This isn?t a restaurant,? Bowser growled through his teeth.

Mario wasn?t really paying attention to Bowser.  ?It?s not?  Really?  I thought it was one of those fancy places with the ugly decorations,? Mario added sarcastically.  ?Well I?m not voting for you as king.  Your service stinks!?

?You will pay for your insolence!?  Bowser hopped down from his throne and landed below Mario, who jumped down from the chandelier.  Bowser?s landing created a miniature shockwave that sent floorboards up into the air.

?I see you?ve lost weight,? Mario snickered, ignoring the fact that Bowser was red with rage.

Bowser was furious.  He slashed at Mario, who merely stepped back and became serious again.  ?So, you?d rather get beaten up, eh?  Okay!?  Mario dropkicked Bowser in the stomach and flipped over to his backside.  He grabbed Bowser by the tail and swung him around and around.

?Gah!  You know I hate that!?  Bowser cried out, with pure hatred in his voice.  Faster and faster, Bowser was spinning like a merry go round gone mad.  It seemed as though a mini tornado appeared around them as Mario twirled in circles, grasping on to Bowser?s tail.

At last, he let go.  Bowser shot out of Mario?s hands and crashed face first into a wall.  A few seconds passed until Bowser got his head out of the wall; and then he realized that he was in the air and fell to the ground.

Bowser struggled to his feet and moaned.  ?How can you keep up with me?  I should be invincible!  This can?t be!?

?Let?s just say I?ve been through some changes,? Mario said with a wry grin.  ?Now give up.  Leave the Mushroom Kingdom, unless you?re done eating dirt.?

?What?!  You have to be kidding me!  I?m not leaving until you?re dead!? Bowser spat back at him in disgust.

?Actually, it would be pointless to keep fighting you.  I?ve proven to be better than you in every way.  It?s not fair to fight you with my new strength.  Just go.?

?Shut up!? the infuriated tyrant bellowed.  ?You will bow down to me!!?

?Maybe I?m speaking too soon, maybe you will beat me,? Mario taunted.  ?Face it; you?re so mad that you?ve been blinded by your anger.  Leave, before you end up getting hurt.?

?Enough!!? Bowser screeched as he shot an enormous rainbow beam from the Star Rod.  It traveled across the room and appeared to hit Mario.

?Status report, sir,? Wart saluted before Shade?s throne. 

?What is it, Wart?? Shade asked impatiently.  ?Did you retrieve the Star Rod as I had asked??

?No, it was not in Star Haven.  But we just caught a trace of its power at Mushroom Castle.  Fortunately, that is also where the Power Star is located.?

Shade looked utterly shocked.  ?Really?  Go retrieve them both.  I?m counting on both you and Grodus.  Do not fail me if you wish to live.  Now go!?

?Yes sir!? Wart complied as he exited the room.

?Mario? Try your hand at defeating my best henchmen!  It is too late for you now!  I have an army of galactic warriors at my grasp to destroy you!?

As the annihilator beam halted to a stop, Bowser thought he had won.  ?In your face, loser!  Oh yeah; I?ll give up to you!?

?It would be a good idea,? Mario murmured from within the smoke.

?What?  I killed you!? Bowser yelled in disbelief.  ?There?s no way!  If you were smart, you would?ve escaped when I thought that I won!?

?Don?t flatter yourself; why would I run from someone I?m not even scared of!? Mario retorted.  ?It?s over!?

Mario shot an Iceball that froze Bowser to a mere statue.  He ripped the Star Rod from Bowser?s hand and aimed it at the oversized ice sculpture.  ?So long, Bowser!?  He shot a rainbow beam identical to the one that Bowser had shot at him, sending the Koopa King flying out of the castle.

shadowmarioguy

Chapter 5: A Dark Uprising

?Nice work Mario,? Toadsworth congratulated him with a pat on the back.  ?And good job Luigi.  If you had not taken Peach to safety, we would be in a terrible predicament.?

Both brothers high-fived each other and nodded.  ?By the way, what happened to Robo Peach??

Peach shivered.  ?Seeing that she was a robot, we are using her as a maid to help clean up the Mushroom Kingdom.  It?s better than making these poor people do it, especially considering all of the damage that has been caused lately.?

Luigi shed a tear.  ?Yeah? So many people have lost their lives recently with all of the destruction.?

Mario?s face brightened as he formulated a plan.  ?I?ve got it!  What if we used the Star Rod to bring them all back to life?  We used it to bring Toadsworth back!?

Toadsworth thought for a moment.  ?Yes, it would work.  However, it can only restore their lives once.  Also, it cannot restore Mario because he was already brought back from the dead.  But all of the Toads that were killed should be able to be brought back.  Just remember that you can't be affected by the Star Rod's magic more than once.?

Mario held the Star Rod in front of him.  He closed his eyes and paused.  ?Great stars in heaven, so many people have died because of evil doers that I was luckily able to defeat.  Here my plea and give them another chance!?

No one moved.  Nobody said a word.  It was dead silent.  Everyone was so quiet that they could've heard a pin drop, and yet no one heard them coming.

?Did it work?? Peach asked suddenly.

Before anyone could answer, a thin, laser type blast came from seemingly nowhere and struck Mario?s hand.  He dropped the Star Rod to the ground, which began to glow feverishly.  There was a blinding flash of light, and then the kingdom was filled with life again.

Mario clutched his numb hand and looked around.  ?Who?s there??

Suddenly, Luigi and Peach were surrounded in a crystal-like barrier.  ?Hey!  What?s going on?!?

?Stop it!? Mario challenged.  ?Where are you?!?

A figure stepped forward.  He was about six feet tall, with pale green skin.  He wore black armor and had a sheath with a red dagger in it.  ?Give me the Star Rod.?

?No way!  I?ll never give a shady character like you the Star Rod!? Mario snapped defiantly.

?Now, now.  That?s no way to treat the new owners of the entire world,? a voice echoed from behind.

Mario glanced at the shadows.  ?I know that voice.  Wart, what are you doing with this creep??

?Ack ack ack ack!  We are no longer individuals looking for world domination.  We are part of the Shadow Shrowds, the group that now owns the Mushroom Kingdom.?

Mario?s eyes shifted over to Grodus.  ?Oh, and you too, huh?  So what, is this a reunion for all of the idiots that I?ve beaten?  I?ll beat you all again, Stupid Shrowds!?

?Allow me to introduce you to Mace,? Grodus replied impatiently.  Mace took a quick bow.  ?Let?s get him, boys!?  The three darted forward like wild animals, ready to strike down Mario at any moment.

?Wait!? roared a voice.  ?He is stronger than you think.  Let me handle him.?

Immediately, Mace, Wart, and Grodus halted and took a knee.  ?Master Shade, we weren?t expecting you.?

?Stand back.  I want to crush this fool with my own hands.  I?ll end his life, just as he did to Metal Mario and Chaos.?

Mario staggered back in fear.  This guy?s power? It?s unreal? What a terrible vibe!  He looked at the lifeless forms of Peach and Luigi, trapped in their barrier.  ?Bring it on!?  Mario charged forward at Shade.

?This won?t take long,? Shade told his followers, keeping an eye on the approaching Mario.

Like lightning, Mario sped toward Shade with amazing agility.  As he was no less than five feet from Shade, he leaped into the air and flipped over Shade?s head, twisting his body around.  Behind Shade?s back and still airborne, Mario sent his foot flying at Shade?s head.

?No?? Mario whispered in disbelief.  ?I was going as fast as I could.  How did you anticipate my attack??

?I didn?t,? Shade responded nonchalantly, grasping Mario?s foot as he struggled to break free.  He raised Mario by the foot and began to deliver painful punches to his stomach.  ?Hmm? You have much power.  And yet? you cannot control it.  But you would make a great servant.  Instead of killing you, I will imprison you and force you to obey me.?

He dropped Mario and created the same force field around him that surrounded Peach and Luigi.  Shade walked over to the Star Rod and lifted it from the ground.  ?With this, my power shall increase.  Grodus, Wart, go retrieve the Power Star and report back to Mushroom Base Alpha.?

shadowmarioguy

Chapter 6: Zeros Become Heroes

?Please input security pass-code,? a mechanical voice recited as Mace stepped in front of the door.  He punched in a six number code and pressed a green button.

ZEEP

The electronic doors that guarded the base slid open.  He lifted the crystals that held Mario, Peach, and Luigi captive.  Instantly, they shrunk to the size of Mace?s palm.  He carried them inside and walked across a narrow corridor until he came to a larger room.  In it were three doors; two on the side and a larger one in front.  Mace chose the right door and proceeded inside.

?Here, little runts, is where your power will be tested,? Mace snarled as he placed them in a small container protruding from the wall.

?Let us go!? Mario challenged angrily.

?You?re awfully bossy for someone so small,? Mace replied with a grin.

He pulled a lever and a green smoke filled the container that held Mario, Luigi, and Peach.  The crystal they were trapped in dissolved.  For a minute they tried banging on the glass, but soon they found that the gas was also used to put people to sleep.

?Now, if I?m correct, two minutes after inhaling the smoke you will return to your normal size.  I better get these guys out of here before they break the container.?

Mace snatched the sleeping heroes from their confinement and took them into another room on the right wing of the base.  This room was filled with chambers that could fit a person inside of them.  Rows upon rows of them were lined up as far as the eye can see.  He quickly put Mario, Luigi, and Peach each into a separate chamber just as they popped back to their normal size.

?Lord Shade told me that this was the room used to calculate the amount of power in an organism.  Let?s see just how much power these idiots have.?

Mace pressed a large red button on the wall and immediately the chambers turned on.  A bar was on each chamber, the more of it was filled, the more power the specimen had.  Shade designed them himself, and he made the highest possible level of power his own.  This meant that only Shade would be able to fill the bar exactly one hundred percent, unless someone was exactly as strong as Shade.  This way he could measure people?s strength and enslave them if they were strong enough to work for him. Or he could tell if someone was stronger than him or not.

?Let?s see how much power Peach has.  Hmm?  Ah, the bar isn?t even a quarter of the way filled.?

Mace walked to Luigi?s chamber.  ?Luigi fills it about one quarter of the way.  That?s pretty strong, actually.  Let?s see the red weakling?s power.  What?!?

Mario?s bar was filled about one third of the way, and it was rising.

?That?s impossible!  My power fills the bar half way!?  Mace screamed in disbelief.  He watched as Mario?s bar finally stopped filling up at half way.

?Meh, there?s nothing to do anymore,? Waluigi muttered.  He and his brother were slumped on the side of a tree.

?Yeah, everyone just disappeared.  It?s no fun to steal from people when they?re not even home,? Wario moaned. 

Waluigi pounded the tree with his fist, sending an apple down into his hand.  As he took a bite, he noticed that it was all dried up.  Suddenly alarmed, he got up and looked at the top of the tree.  Its leaves had withered off and the rest of the apples were just as dry as the first.  ?What?s going on??

Wario glanced at the path leading to Toad Town and saw something out of the corner of his eye.  He watched in horror as an army of soldiers were marching down the path toward them.  Each one was about six feet tall, with pale green skin.  They wore black armor and were equipped with a sheath that contained a red dagger.    ?Bro, look!  It?s an army of evil dudes!  Let?s scram!?

Waluigi looked over his shoulder and screeched.  ?Yikes!  We can?t let them see us!  Hurry!  We can hide atop of this tree!?  He scrambled to the top and realized that Wario could barely pull himself out of his bed in the morning, let alone climb a tree.

?Hey, it?s a fat guy trying to climb a tree!  Let?s get him, men!?

They all charged directly at Wario, who stumbled backward and watched as they all surrounded him.  ?Uh? Top of the morning officers??

?We?re not the police,? one of them snapped, ?but we were told to capture anyone we could find.?

So that?s where everyone went, Waluigi thought.  He dived in front of Wario and began throwing Fireballs at the army. 

?Gah!  A skinny purple tree-climber has gone berserk!!? the leader shouted.  ?Get them!?

Waluigi grabbed his brother and used all of his might to throw him at the crowd, knocking them all down.  Wario got up and joined Waluigi to make an exit.  ?Just one thing, bro,? Wario said dizzily.

?What?s that??

?Never throw me like that again.  I?m not a pinball; I?m a person.?

After what seemed like hours of running, they finally stopped in Goomba Village.  They settled in a deserted item shop, where they munched on some Fried Mushrooms.  At last, Waluigi spoke.

?I just had an idea.  Why don?t we be the good guys for once??

Wario fell out of his seat and broke out in laughter.  ?Bahahahahahaha!  That?s a good one!?

Waluigi?s face grew serious.  ?I mean it.  Just for a while until everyone is back in their home.  Then we can steal things just like we used to.  Besides, we?ll get fame, glory, and treasures if we help save the world!  What do you think??

Wario thought for a moment.  ?Just this once.  But I won?t like it.?

shadowmarioguy

Chapter 7: Escape? or Escapade?

?This isn?t possible?? Mace shook his head in disbelief.  ?He looked like a fool when he tried to fight Lord Shade.  Perhaps the chamber is malfunctioning.  No mere human can match my power.?

He opened each of the chambers and, one by one, dragged their lifeless bodies into another room.  It was a long corridor that stretched from one end to the other.  It was at least the length of two football fields.  On each side of the hallway were hundreds of cells, each sealed with tight iron bars.  Mace flipped a switch next to one of the cells, and the iron bars slid up into the ceiling.

Mario rolled off of his back and into a sitting position.  Mace was busy pushing Luigi and Peach into the cell.  He didn?t know why, but he felt terribly exhausted.  Alright, I have to use my energy sparingly.  Peach and Luigi need my help.

As Mace turned around he saw Mario leap into the air and land a punch to his face.  He staggered backward, clutching his bloody nose.  ?You?re? awake?

Ignoring Mace?s comment, Mario charged straight at his foe.  This time, Mace was not so easily fooled.  He blocked Mario?s uppercut and sent him hurling into the ground.  Mace quickly kicked Mario into his cell and pushed a red button.  The iron bars quickly came down from the ceiling and locked into place.

?Thought you could sneak up on me, did you?? Mace sneered.  ?It?ll take more than that to beat me.  You may have caught me off guard, but if we ever fight again, don?t think you can pull the same move twice.?

Mace chuckled as he walked away.  Mario listed to his maddening laughter echo through the lifeless corridor.  I have to get out of here!

Now back in the power-testing room, Mace locked the door behind him and shut it.  ?Could he be the one??

?How much farther?? Wario wheezed as the two trudged through Mushroom Fields.  Night had settled, but there was not a single trace of the moon.  A few stars were dotted in the sky, but other than that it was all dark.

Waluigi scowled back at his brother.  ?Would you shut up you fat blimp?!  You don?t want to get caught!  See that over there??  Waluigi paused and pointed to a dark fortress in the distance.  ?I have a hunch that everyone?s in there.  But those monsters? Who knows how good their sight or hearing is, so stay low.?

As they made their way to the castle, it became harder to stay out of sight.  Four searchlights waved unpredictably across the grass in a circle around the fort.  Wario poked Waluigi.  ?There?s the entrance,? he whispered.  ?But it?s guarded tightly.  You distract them while I make my way in.?

Waluigi was about to disagree when he heard a yell from one of the guards.  ?It?s a man dressed in purple!  Get him!?  The guards scrambled from their posts and chased after Waluigi, who spun around and ran as fast as he could.

In all of the confusion, Wario was able to sneak around the action right over to the front door.  With a sigh of frustration, Wario realized that he needed a password.  He peered back at the swarm of enemies chasing Waluigi and noticed a paper on the ground.  He waddled over to it and snatched it.

?It?s some kind of code?? Wario muttered.  The paper read: 31254; it must?ve been used by one of the guards to remember the code.  Wario sat for a minute, glancing at the paper and then the buttons near the door, until an idea hatched inside of his head.

?Maybe this is the code??  Hopefully, Wario punched in the corresponding numbers.  Sure enough, the doors slid open.  He took a step forward.  ?Wow??

He noticed three doors; one on the right, one on the left, and one in the middle.  ?Let?s see? I choose right!?  Wario trotted over to the eastern door and opened it.  After exploring the area, he found the Power Testing Room.

?Hey, I could use a nap.  Maybe these things are used as a bed.?  He began to open one of the doors, but then he heard the guards returning to their posts.  They got him.

With a new sense of determination, Wario headed in through the northern door to the Captivity Chambers.  ?Now where are they??  He walked past countless numbers of cells, each one filled to the brim with Toads.  ?I?ll help you guys later.  Let me just find-?

Wario spotted what he had been looking for: the cell that contained Mario, Luigi, and Peach.  Without hesitation, he dashed to their chamber faster than any regular fat person would.  ?Psst!  Guys, I?m here to help you!  How do I get past these iron bars??

Mario grinned ear to ear.  ?Go over to one of the guards and clobber him,? he remarked sarcastically.  ?That should get you a nice place past these bars.?

?Very funny,? Wario replied, ?but could you refresh my memory?  Who is it that is sealed away barely being fed and treated like an animal?!  That?s what I thought.  Now tell me how to let you out.?

Mario?s face grew serious.  ?That button should do the trick.?

Eagerly, Wario punched the button.  The iron bars slid up and into the ceiling, and the three captives staggered out.  ?What happened to you three??

?We can barely move.  Sitting around here with no food or water takes a lot out of you,? Luigi responded.

Wario reached into his pocket and pulled out three Mushrooms.  ?Tsk, tsk, that?s no excuse for the great Super Mario.  You?re lucky I came prepared.?  He tossed one to each of the weakened heroes, and they all greedily devoured them.  Instantly, they regained all of their strength.

?Why exactly are you helping us?? Peach inquired skeptically.  ?Eeek!  Were those Mushrooms poisoned?!?

Wario blushed.  ?Well? um? I just thought that you guys needed help from the great and powerful Wario Brothers!!?

?Hey!  I think I heard someone shouting in there!?

?Uh? Now would be a good time to scram!  Let?s go!?

shadowmarioguy

Chapter 8: The Labyrinth of Ages

Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Wario immediately turned and high tailed it out of there.  ?Hey, Wario!  Where?s Waluigi?? Mario asked as they ran from the guards.

Wario held back his tears.  ?They got him.?

?I see.  Sorry for asking.  But, um, does anyone know where we?re going?  I mean, we?re running in the opposite direction of the exit.?

Luigi looked back and saw the guards getting closer to them.  ?They?re fast!  Hurry up!?  They shoved the door at the end of the room open and charged into the next.  The four just stood there with their mouths agape.  Before them stood an enormous labyrinth shaped with neatly carved tungsten walls.

?It?ll take years to find a way through this!? Wario shouted, breaking the awkward silence.

?Stop right where you are!? the head of the guards barked.  ?Don?t even try to escape.  Either come with us or get lost in the Labyrinth of Ages.

Mario clenched his fists.  ?Of course!  The Shadow Shrowds made another exit to the Captivity Chambers so that they could lock the prisoners in with one door, and use this to escape.  Then I assume that everyone here knows how to get through??

Ignoring Mario?s brilliance, the cluster of guards scrambled across the room.  ?Get him!?

?Go on without me!? Mario commanded over his shoulder.  ?I?ll catch up!?  He shot a few Fireballs randomly into the fray.  ?GO!?

?But you?ll get lost in the maze!? Peach replied, shocked at Mario?s decision.  ?We don?t want to lose you!?

Mario smiled and looked back.  ?It?s not about what you want.  It?s about what needs to be done.  Go!  I don?t intend to get lost!? 

Wario and the others nodded and darted into the labyrinth just as the smoke cleared.  The sentries spotted Mario, and they immediately resumed their pursuit.  ?Hey!  Where did the others go?!?

?For me to know and you idiots to never find out!? Mario taunted as he leaped over the crowd.  ?Ha ha!  You can?t catch me!  Shame on you!?  He continued to do this, running to one end of the Captivity Chambers as the security guards chased him.  When he reached the end, he would back flip over them and run to the other end.

?Troops!  Regroup!  I have a plan.?

?Ah, we?ve finally found them,? Wart sighed.  In his hands he held the Power Star that generated energy used to power Mushroom Castle.  Next to him stood Grodus, who was fiddling around with the Star Rod.

?Do you think these things can really make Lord Shade more powerful?? Grodus inquired, scanning the two magical objects.  ?And why would Shade even want to be more powerful than he already is??

Wart shrugged.  ?Your guess is as good as mine.  I thought you would?ve known, seeing the fact that you are a robot and all.  I thought robots were supposed to know everything.?

?No, we do not know everything!? Grodus retorted angrily.  ?We only know what is in our database.  Apparently my programmer didn?t know anything about Lord Shade!  Now let?s get these back to him before he kills us!?

?Right!?

?Which way do we go now?? Luigi wondered aloud, looking in all directions.  ?We?ve been going around in circles for an hour!?

Wario poked at the walls as if searching for an answer.  He moved from one to the next, observing the size and shape of each.  He hesitated for a moment and reached into his pocket.  He pulled out the piece of paper with the code on it and a pencil.  He scribbled down a few notes.

?Wario, what are you doing?? Peach asked suspiciously.  ?And where did you get that pencil??

?I found it at the front desk of a shop in Toad Town.  I figured I would need it sometime later on.  And by using this as scrap paper, I?ve mapped out this entire maze.?

Luigi snatched the paper from Wario?s hand.  ?Lemme? see!  It has to tell us the way out of here!?

Wario looked puzzled.  ?Really?  I was just doodling.  I wanted to see if I could get from one end to the other like those maze games you see in those magazines and-?

Luigi?s face lit up.  ?Wow?  You were so stupid that it actually helped us.  This actually shows one area that we haven?t really gone near.  Follow me!?

With the paper in his hand, he followed the markings and mapped out what wasn?t already there.  In no time, the size of the map had doubled.  Luigi was persistent and wouldn?t give up until they reached the exit.

?I think I found the exit!? Peach exclaimed.  Everyone sprinted over to a giant clearing in the maze.  They were now standing in an enormous rectangular area.  ?Let?s go while we still can!?

Luigi stood his ground.  ?No.  I?m not leaving without my Bro.  I have to at least leave a clue or something to help him.  I?ll trace the right path on the floor with Wario?s pencil!?

Wario glared at him.  ?So you can be the big hero?  No thanks!?

?Give it to me!?

?NO!?

As the two continued their quarreling, Peach watched in horror as a metal door in the floor slid open and a colossal robotic spider emerged.

shadowmarioguy

Chapter 9: Arachnophobia

?He?s my brother!  Let me help him!?  Luigi cried as he jerked his entire body backward.  At the same time, Wario let go, sending Luigi flying backward into the hole that the spider emerged from.

?Ha!? Wario laughed triumphantly as he snatched the fallen pencil.  ?Oops? Now he?s in that hole??

Peach glared at Wario.  ?Didn?t you notice that there?s a giant spider in here?!?  She gestured toward the charging robot.

http://boomp3.com/m/8605508c5060

?Yikes!!? Wario screamed.  ?That thing's disgusting!?

?But it?s a robot,? Peach replied, pleading for Wario?s help.

Wario turned to face the robot.  ?Well I?ll uh? see what I can do??  He dashed at the approaching spider and took a great leap into the air that would almost compare to one of his rival?s jumps.  From there he reared his fists forward and nailed one of its legs.  A hollow DONG rang through the room.

?OW!? Wario shouted as he tumbled to the ground, clenching his bruised fist.  ?That was my hardest punch!?

The robotic spider raised one of its enormous legs and stomped on the ground where Wario was.  Luckily, he managed to roll out of the way.  Peach rushed over to him.  ?Wario!  Do something!?  She grabbed his shoulders and shook him frantically.

Wario pushed her away.  ?I can?t!  First of all, I?m afraid of bugs!  And second; I?m hungry!!  I?ll have you know I haven?t eaten in an hour!?

?You?re such a pig!? Peach snapped as she turned away from him.  The synthetic bug balanced itself and darted over to Wario and Peach.  Wario shut his eyes and quavered in fear.  ?Why did I have to be a hero?! Why?!?

A green Fireball zoomed out from the nearby pit and struck the spider.  All at once it fell in a huge heap that shook the room.  Before Wario or Peach could comment, Luigi climbed out of the gap.  ?Got him!? he bellowed triumphantly.

Wario let out a sigh of relief.  ?Well? Let?s just be glad that I didn?t have to step in.  ?Cause if I had, things may have gotten a little ugly.?

?Now, back to more important matters.  Hand over that pencil!?

Wario glanced back and forth nervously.  ?I? lost it??

Luigi?s face grew pale as he nearly fell backward.  ?You mean??

?Luigi!  Behind you!? Peach shrieked, breaking the silence.

In a flash, Luigi whirled around and saw the spider back on its feet again and slowly approaching him with its mouth wide open.  ?Wario!  Fireballs!?

The two stepped forward and unleashed a barrage of Fireballs at the fiend that got closer with each step.  Peach stared intently at the fray of yellow and green Fireballs.  With a gasp, she saw the horrid figure of the heartless robot growing near to them.  Soon, they would be dead.

?It?s not working!? Wario bawled.

?What do we do now?!? Luigi wailed as he lost all hope.

With one of its strong legs, it knocked Luigi to the ground.  He found that he was paralyzed with fear, and couldn?t move an inch.  The fiend revealed its sharp fangs as it lowered its jaw and slid its mouth just above him.  Luigi saw the dark abyss that was inside, and he knew that this was it.  It was all over.

Altogether, the spider crumpled onto the ground in agony.  It whimpered as sheets of ice slowly took form on its deadly metallic surface.  In no time, it was frozen in a solid block of ice.

?Hey, what did I miss?? Mario inquired sarcastically as he pulled his brother to his feet.

?You made it!? Peach wailed out with joy.

?Yeah.  I was about to help the Toads out of their chambers when I felt a rumbling sound.  That?s when I rushed over onto the scene to help out.  This place seems empty.  Those guards I fought before were the only foes in here besides that robot spider.  Why would everyone leave??

A few rocks from the ceiling tumbled down and nearly struck the group.  Mario?s face became serious.  ?This place won?t last.  The exit is just past this room.  I?m going back to help the others!?

Luigi spoke up.  ?No!  This place will be history in minutes!  Come back the other way with us; it?ll be quicker!?

?I can?t.  The maze is more of a challenge!  Skulleon always taught me to take on the toughest situation whenever given a choice.  Besides, on my way through I heard someone groaning in the labyrinth.  I have to go back and check!  And once I find whoever it was, I?ll help the Toads.  Luigi, I?ll need you to go back into the Power Testing Room and unlock the Captivity Chambers so I can get out.?

With that, Mario turned around and sprinted back into the labyrinth.  ?No!? Luigi burst into tears.  ?I can?t lose you again!?

Wario forced a smile.  ?Hey, Waluigi is in their too.  So don?t worry.  Mario has been my rival for a long time, and I know that luck is on his side.  There?s something strange about him, and I think that we should leave.  Luigi, do as your brother told you to and everything will be fine.?

Luigi nodded and turned back to face the maze.  ?I believe in you, bro.?

shadowmarioguy

Chapter 10: Velno?s Sneak Attack

?I can?t believe this kingdom!  There?s not a single person around to eat!? Velno snarled as he kicked the door down the last house that he had not checked.  ?Not a soul at all?  It?s like they just vanished!?

He took a seat on a pile of dirt and heaved a great sigh.  ?I just don?t get it?  They can?t be hiding because I would?ve been able to sniff them out!  And the only one who knows about me is Mario; Peach and Luigi must?ve completely forgotten about me.?

Abruptly, Velno stood upright and sniffed the air.  ?Is that?  Luigi?!  It is!  I can get plenty of energy if I eat him!  I better hurry before Mario shows up.?  He sniffed a few more times before he took off at full speed into the distance.

Mario sped through the labyrinth like a rat looking for cheese.  ?Was it here?  Or there?!?  Darn it!  This place is going to be gone in minutes!?  He took a hard left at the next fork in the paths.  ?Dead end!?  He whirled around and took the right wing this time.  Growing more frantic, Mario realized that he was completely lost.  ?No!  Not now!  Somebody guide me!?

?M?  -rio?a-io??

?Who is it?!? Mario cried out, trying to pinpoint the origin of the voice.  ?Where are you?!?

?Mario? -elp? me??

Mario traced the sound to a dead end, where he saw a familiar friend crumpled on the ground.  ?Waluigi!  Are you okay?  Oh, dumb question.  Let me help you out of here!  Can you walk??

Waluigi slowly pointed to his right leg.  Mario followed Waluigi?s arm and grimaced as he saw a dagger that went right through his leg.  And then he saw blood.  Warm blood.  It was oozing from Waluigi?s gash onto the cold stone floor.  In a flash, Waluigi was on Mario?s shoulder.  Mario quickly rushed back into the labyrinth.  He didn?t care about the blood getting on him; he just wanted to make it out alive.

?I remember the way from here,? Mario whispered to his fallen comrade as he dashed through mind-bending twists and turns.  ?I just hope Luigi has unlocked the door.?

Wario, Luigi, and Peach burst out of the left door in the base?s main corridor.  ?So this is where that door led?? Luigi commented as they made their way into the Power Testing Room.  ?I hope Mario made it!?  He punched the button the unlocked the doors and opened them for a peek.

?Hey, Luigi!  I?m almost done!?  Mario called from the other side of the Captivity Chambers.  He raced down the hall, unlocking the cells one by one, until all of the Toads were free.  ?Get out of here, you guys,? Mario commanded the small Toads as they scurried out of the room.

?Mario!  How can I ever thank you??  Peach inquired with gratitude.

?See?  I told you he would make it!? Wario boasted.  ?I?m so smart!  Maybe I?m psychic!?

?Hey Wario!  Guess who I found!?

Wario appeared to shed a tear.  ?You don?t mean??

?Uh-huh!  I found Waluigi!?  Mario bellowed triumphantly as he carried him to Wario, Peach, and Luigi.  ?Let?s get out of here.  Lock the door, just incase any of those vicious Shadow Shrowds are still in there.?  Luigi complied and locked the door.  ?Wait!  Before you close it, let me check to see if anyone?s still in there.  Hold on to the door!?

Mario sprinted past each of the cells, scanning for any stragglers.  ?Nope, everyone?s out of here.?

BOOM!  CRACKLE!  THUD!!

A huge chunk of ceiling collapsed and knocked Luigi over, causing the door the Captivity Chambers to shut.  ?No!  I?m locked in!? Mario shrieked.  ?Luigi!  Wario!  Peach!  Unlock the door!?

Luigi got up and pressed the button that unlocked the door.  ?Hold on, Bro!?

C-CHINK!  THUNK!  BZZZERP!!

Luigi was sent tumbling backward as the button shocked him.  ?It didn?t work!?

Peach gasped in horror.  ?No!  Help him!?

Wario?s face was grim.  ?He?ll have to go all the way around.?

BOOM

Currents of electricity weaved through the room.  ?We?re not doing any good in here!  Let?s hurry out of here before it?s too late!?

Peach put a hand on Luigi?s shoulder.  ?Mario will make it.  Let?s get out of this forsaken place before we?re shocked to death and then buried under rubble.?

Wario picked up Waluigi, and they all made a break for the exit.

?Hmm? What?s this??  Velno peered at the large base and saw a huge ground of Toads tumble out of it.  In the mix were Peach, Luigi, Wario, and Waluigi.

?Wario, you go seek medical help for Waluigi.  As soon as the Toads get back into town, everything will be back to normal,? Luigi demanded, looking at his rival in empathy, who was resting in Wario?s arms.

Wario nodded and waddled off with his brother.  ?Peach, we should get back to the castle.?

?Yaaaa!!!? Velno cried out as he dashed toward Luigi with his mouth wide open.

?Yikes!  What in the world is that?!? Luigi screamed with disgust.  ?Whatever it is, I think it?s hungry!?

shadowmarioguy

ugh... Serious Writer's Block + Holiday Season = Total Madness

I'm working on Chapter 11, and I'm about 1/3 of the way done.  I've got some ideas to work with, now I just need to put them in writing.  The new chapter should be done within a few days.

shadowmarioguy

Chapter 11: Mario?s Demise?

?Hya!!? Luigi cried as he shot a Fireball into Velno?s mouth.  ?Wait a minute!  That must be the sewer monster we were talking about before!?

?Eeek!!  Luigi!  Kill that disgusting thing!? Peach shrieked.

Velno coughed up a cloud of smoke.  ?Now, now!  It?s not nice to make fun of others!?  He sprinted toward Peach at an amazing rate, once again opening his mouth to its full extent.

?LUIGI!!?

?Get away from her!? Luigi challenged bravely as he delivered a flying kick to Velno?s jaw, sending him tumbling backward as Luigi landed next to Peach.  ?Hey!  Who do you think you are?!  I?ll have you know this is Princess Peach, the ruler of the entire Mushroom Kingdom!?

Velno took a few steps toward them.  ?Really?  Oh, I am so sorry, your highness!  My name is Velno, I am so pleased to meet you!? he exclaimed with a grin.  ?Now I?ve got a great idea.?

Luigi stepped forward.  ?Back off!?

Velno let out a great laugh.  ?Ahahaha!  Look at you, acting all tough and whatnot.  However, my keen eyes have noticed that you?re starting to sweat.  Do you think you can back up your warnings with brute strength??

Luigi took a step backward.  ?No? I?m just? I sweat a lot outside, especially when it?s hot out??

Velno frowned impatiently.  ?It?s eleven o?clock at night.  How could you be hot??

?Shoot!  I?ve been through this maze three times already!  Ugh!?  Mario scowled, groping his way through the cloud of debris that pervaded the labyrinth.  ?You?d think I?d have memorized this thing by now!?

He took a right, then a left, and then went straight.  ?Now I know why they call it the Labyrinth of Ages!?  Just then, a huge chunk of the ceiling came down behind him, blocking off the way back.  ?Oh no!  Now I?m stuck??  Mario?s mind was racing.  The clock was ticking.  ?Wait!  What if this is the right path?!  It?s my only hope!?

With that, he sped off into the unknown, his vision almost completely obscured by the clouds of debris.  He had not yet hit a dead end.  But there had not been any forks in the path, either.  Mario wasn?t sure what to make sense of this strange path, nor did he care.  No longer feeling his way through the maze, he sprinted down the straight corridor that was his only chance of survival.

THUD

Mario swallowed hard.  He felt as though his heart had jumped right up into his throat.  He sat on the ground, clutching his bruised head.  With a grim sigh, he muttered the words that best described his situation, ?Dead end.?

SLASH

Luigi took a knee.  He clutched the deep cut that Velno?s claw had made.  He brought his hand back to his face and grimaced at the sight of his palm.  Blood.

?Eeeek!? Peach shrieked.  ?Luigi!  Get up!?

Velno chuckled.  ?I guess it wasn?t the best idea to charge at me, was it??  He took three long steps and kicked Luigi sky-high.  In a flash, he leaped into the air and grabbed the green plumber?s shirt, just before using it to slam him into the ground.  ?Oops, sorry, I guess I don?t know my own strength!  Ha ha ha!?

Luigi struggled up into a sitting position.  ?Grr?  You?fiend??

?Hm?  Name-calling, are we?  Isn?t that a bit childish??  Velno raised Luigi by his overalls.  ?Peach!  Relinquish your throne to me, or the plumber dies.?  Velno held his claw up to Luigi?s neck to show that he meant business.  ?Come on; your throne for the life of Luigi!?

Peach was trembling.  ?I? I??

?Peach?  Don?t worry about me?? Luigi coaxed her.

?Silence!? Velno roared, gently tapping Luigi?s neck with his sharp nails.

Peach was speechless.  How could she allow Luigi to die?  If Luigi went, surely she would be killed as well.  But if she gave up her throne for Luigi, then the whole Mushroom Kingdom would fall under his control.  And he would probably kill Luigi anyway.  What could she do?

?Peach!  Think about your kingdom!? Luigi shouted.  ?Aw, who am I kidding?  Peach!  Give him the kingdom!  I don?t wanna? die!!?

?I?ve only got one chance,? Mario told himself.  ?I?ve gotta? blow the blockade down and find the way out!?  Large chunks of ceiling began to rain down on the entire labyrinth.  ?Oh no!  It?s going down!?

Without hesitation, Mario took off at full speed back toward the wall.  Rocks the sizes of boulders were coming down just a few feet behind him.  ?I?ve got to? hurry!?  At last, he hit the wall of rock that had blocked his way earlier on.  ?Hyah!?  He hit it with all of his might.

CRACK

?It didn?t work??  Mario wondered aloud, puzzled.  ?One more time!  HYAH!?

BOOM

The wall shattered to mere pebbles as Mario ran through and took a right.  And there, before his very eyes, was the large clearing in the maze right before the exit.  Also there, from its icy tomb, rose the giant robo spider, its eyes gleaming red with hatred.

TeChNiCaL DiFfIcUlTiEs

You knew I was going to reply sooner or later!  :P

I finally joined, and thanks again for convincing me to join.  Back on topic, though, you have no idea how much suspense you left at the end of that chapter.  I almost fell out of my seat reading it!  Keep up the awesome work!  ;)