News:

<+Clu> have you tried barbecuing the computer

Main Menu

Sonic Unleashed: Wii/PS2 vs PS3/360

Started by Nayrman, December 12, 2008, 08:09:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nayrman

Well, now that I've gotten to play through a good majority of the PS3/360 version of the Sonic Unleashed game, I feel now that I have a good understand on what makes the two versions of the game different. Starting out, I must say the PS3/360 version is obviously superior to the Wii/PS2 version of the game. However, the game isn't leaps and bounds better, but merely has overall better design choices compared to it's previous generation counterpart. That being said, it's become painfully obvious established review sites such as IGN, Electronic Gaming Monthly, Gamespot, etc. clearly have no idea what they are talking about. The PS3/360 version is the better version, and is leaps and bounds better than Sonic 06 (in which IGN said Unleashed was worse than 06, which is utter FAIL on their part). Lastly, this post will be broken up into three parts: Hub/Story , Daytime levels, and Nighttime levels.

Hub/Story:
From a pure difference standpoint, this is probably the biggest difference between the two versions. Unlike the Wii version which is stuck with cheap little illustrations and irritatingly pointless "town" areas (in which you click on a location, a person says something worthless, and you leave), the PS3/360 version has full blown hub worlds for you to explore. The hubs themselves aren't terribly interesting, or very big; however they are definately better than pointless cardboard cutouts. Also to note is the difference in selecting missions, getting medals and the like. The Wii version merely had small, shallow areas in the "Gaia Temples" in which to do such acts, while the PS3/360 version incorporates the similar ideas into the actual hub worlds. It is by no means any more interesting, but at least it feels more natural to gameplay than hastily put together puzzle rooms on doors to the side. All and all neither are particularly good but it feels more time and effort was put into the PS3/360 version of the game, and it definately shows.

Daytime levels: Overall there isn't too much difference in terms of basic gameplay. In both versions you are trying to get to the goal ring by boosting, homing attack-ing, etc. for about two to three minutes or so. The only big difference is that the boost gauge for the PS3/360 game runs on "ring energy" while the Wii version has it's own limit bar where you can only do so many boosts until you replenish it. Also, the scoring system works a bit differently between versions, but it's hardly anything worth noting, since nothing is inherently wrong with either version. Once again, the only good part of the game in it's entirety.

Nightime levels: Another example of how the PS3/360 game had much more time and effort put into it rather than the Wii counterpart. On the whole, the werehog levels are far more enjoyable than the Wii version. Does that make the nightime levels good in this game? Hell no. They're just better than the crap-fest the Wii version was. Instead of being horribly controlled blandly colored infuriatingly terribly badly designed levels the night levels for the PS3/360 are annoyingly controlled dimly light God of War rip-off levels. At least there is resemblence of a fighting system, because in the Wii version is was in it's totallity button mashing with horribly controlled platforming. To give some credit where credit is due, there is the rare moment where the platforming in the PS3/360 game is actually somewhat fun. However, all this does is make you wish they made another Ristar instead of pushing this on a Sonic game. Also to note, that in the PS3/360 the night levels are just one longer level instead of broken up into three medium length levels. This makes the nighting levels FAR less exhausting than the Wii version. This is helped by the much better pacing in the PS3/360 game. So far I've only come across the point of two night levels in a row once in the game so far, while in the Wii version I had roughly nine night levels in a row at one point. Clearly the advantage goes to the PS3/360 version.

Ratings all and all:
Hub/Story ---- Wii: 0/10 ||| PS3/360: 5/10
Daytime ---- Wii: 8/10 ||| PS3/360: 8/10
Nightime ---- Wii: 2/10 ||| PS3/360: 5/10

Macawmoses

EH, I still like the Wii version....it's not amazing, but it holds up well.

DededeCloneChris

I'm buying the Wii version for Christmas, Tuppy convinced me.

Nayrman

Quote from: wiiboychris on December 13, 2008, 07:26:41 PM
do you have only have the Wii?
If you have a 360 or PS3 I recommend the PS3/360 version instead...
The speed levels are slightly more interesting than the Wii (but not by much), but the night versions are SO MUCH BETTER. I know you'll never be playing them after the first time, but in all honesty it makes the playthrough so much better. Also, you miss out on two levels in the Wii version (and Empire City is really fun too)

DededeCloneChris

Quote from: Nayrman on December 13, 2008, 07:28:24 PM
The speed levels are slightly more interesting than the Wii (but not by much), but the night versions are SO MUCH BETTER. I know you'll never be playing them after the first time, but in all honesty it makes the playthrough so much better. Also, you miss out on two levels in the Wii version (and Empire City is really fun too)
Nope, Wii and PS2 all the way my friend. :P

Nayrman

Quote from: wiiboychris on December 13, 2008, 07:38:14 PM
well then that's fine I suppose...just prepare for unbearably long and boring nighttime sections...

DededeCloneChris

Quote from: Nayrman on December 13, 2008, 07:39:26 PM
well then that's fine I suppose...just prepare for unbearably long and boring nighttime sections...
I don't mind button mashing at all.

Nayrman

Quote from: wiiboychris on December 13, 2008, 07:56:02 PM
It's worse than buttong mashing, it's pointless button mashing that kills your fingers because if you use the Classic/Cube controller it's the shoulder buttons to attack. AND DON"T USE THE MOTION CONTROLLS THEY ARE HORRENDOUS!!!!

DededeCloneChris

Quote from: Nayrman on December 13, 2008, 08:01:00 PM
Quote from: wiiboychris on December 13, 2008, 07:56:02 PM
It's worse than buttong mashing, it's pointless button mashing that kills your fingers because if you use the Classic/Cube controller it's the shoulder buttons to attack. AND DON"T USE THE MOTION CONTROLLS THEY ARE HORRENDOUS!!!!
Oh, exercise, even better, thanks. :)

Tupin

Hey, I wouldn't play or buy the Wii version over the 360 one, but it's better than not playing a new Sonic game, I guess.

The Speed levels are fun on both versions, but the nighttime levels on Wii don't play like you expect them to. They are MUCH more tolerable on the 360 and are mostly enjoyable because the Werehog moves faster in the 360 version than the Wii version.

Quote from: SkyMyl
Tuppy frightens me with his knowledge of legacy technology.

Triforceman22

I love the 360 version.
Not so fond of the wii version...

QuoteRobotnik: GET A LOAD OF THIS!!!!!!!!

Nayrman

Quote from: Triforceman22 on December 14, 2008, 04:49:37 PM
I love the 360 version.
Werehog is a million times worse in the Wii version...
It's still not good in the 360/PS3 but at least it's playable X_X;;

Zero

How in god's name the critics gave the Wii version a better score I'll never know.

The graphics are insane on the 360/PS3 version.

Triforceman22

Quote from: Nayrman on December 14, 2008, 05:59:19 PM
I love the 360 version.

yet, you only gave a three point diffrence...
I give Wii Version Werehog levels a -7/10

QuoteRobotnik: GET A LOAD OF THIS!!!!!!!!

Nayrman

Quote from: Triforceman22 on December 16, 2008, 03:31:41 PM
Quote from: Nayrman on December 14, 2008, 05:59:19 PM
I love the 360 version.

yet, you only gave a three point diffrence...
I give Wii Version Werehog levels a -7/10
Because the Wii version being worse doesn't make the PS3/360 version any better.