News:

UH SOMETHING BROKE HANG ON

Main Menu

It does not get any more old-school than this.

Started by Tupin, April 14, 2009, 06:36:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tupin

Much like the netbooks of today, a market existed in the early 80's to make the absolute cheapest computer possible, for as cheap as possible in order to give absolutely everyone a chance to get one. While most saved up for an Atari 800 or a Commodore machine, some invested in the very first computer ever to be sold for under $100 ($260 in today's money), the Timex Sinclair. Designed by British company Sinclair, it was similar to a computer called a ZX81. Before Timex picked up the license, you could buy one for $150 prebuilt or $100 as a kit. Timex released it in stores for $99, pre-built as soon as it came to the USA, the cheapest computer ever.

You got what you paid for. A very small 12 ounce  computer  with a membrane-type keyboard and a very small (even by 1982's standards) 2k of memory built-in. There was no color or sound. To turn it off or on, you had to unplug it. A $50 16k expansion module was pretty much required. The keyboard assigned up to four functions to the same key. To save programs, you needed to supply your own cassette tape player. There was also a printer with the print quality worse than a receipt. It was widely condemned by people who didn't praise it for being $100, saying it was too limited and best suited for a person who just wants to learn BASIC.

Why did I just write all that about one of the most limited computers ever? Maybe it just has that special thing going for it, and it shows that anything can have a following. I hope I stumble into one, just for the heck of it. It's not that expensive or hard to find, so it shouldn't be long. Here's a video of a game on the Sinclair, be aware that the music was added for the video.

Yes, some of the graphics in the games are just letters. I told you it was limited.  :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOpkIwSbdwc

Quote from: SkyMyl
Tuppy frightens me with his knowledge of legacy technology.

Silverhawk79

Wow, that really is a cheap computer. :D
I wonder how many people actually bought it.

Tupin

Quote from: Silverhawk79 on April 16, 2009, 10:22:37 AM
Wow, that really is a cheap computer. :D
I wonder how many people actually bought it.
I think sales were originally really, really good, but got worse as people realized they couldn't really do that much with it. I think sales were around 1-2 million.

Timex left the industry after Commodore offered a trade-in plan where you could trade in a competitor's product to get credit toward a C64. Retailers were selling these things for $10 so people could get credit immediately.

Tupin

Guess what I just won on eBay?  ^_^

Pics coming as soon as I get it, which should be next week.

WiiGuy

well, the computer gaming age had to start somewhere :P

Tupin

Quote from: WiiGuy on April 22, 2009, 02:37:33 PM
well, the computer gaming age had to start somewhere :P
It was oddly popular in Europe, though.

Oh, and here's a few videos on it and what legacy it left behind. The first video is what it looks like operating, the European version and US version are practically the same. The second video highlights a company that has continued supporting the computer for over 20 years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2-3tEXwLok

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtDG5cWmH8s

Tupin

It still isn't here yet.  >=(

I hope it comes tomorrow, but even then I have to find an AC adapter. It's pretty much the same as an Atari 2600 adapter, so that's what I'm getting.

Gwen Khan

neat, but where do you get the money to buy stuff like this?

Tupin

Tupin

Just got here. Here's a pic (yeah, I know I need a new camera):

It's really small, but oddly heavy, especially with the RAM expansion in the back....

Beatnik

"I like cigarettes, Mrs. Taggart. I like to think of fire held in a man's hand. Fire, a dangerous force, tamed at his fingertips. I often wonder about the hours when a man sits alone, watching the smoke of a cigarette, thinking. I wonder what great things have come from such hours. When a man thinks, there is a spot of fire alive in his mind-and it is proper that he should have the burning point of a cigarette as his one expression..."

Tupin

Quote from: Beatnik on May 01, 2009, 01:33:08 PM
Can I touch it?
No, get your own.  >:(

:P

I'm getting an AC adapter for it tomorrow, it didn't come with one. :(

Doodle

It can't do very much.
But it looks pretty cool. :P
YEAH

Tupin

Well, turns out I couldn't get it to work because it's a PAL unit.  >:(

At least it was only $10.... I'm gonna get a TRS-80 next, I think...