News:

Change is coming. HOPE CHANGE UNITY

Main Menu

Brave.

Started by Tupin, June 22, 2012, 03:26:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tupin

It came out today, anyone else see it? It certainly is a technical marvel, but the rest of the film was just okay. Seems to be getting feedback that it's better than Cars but not on the same level as Wall-E or Ratatouille.

Oh yeah, use spoiler tags when discussing specific parts of the film.

Quote from: SkyMyl
Tuppy frightens me with his knowledge of legacy technology.

Mona

I want to see it soooo badlyyyyyyyy!
I have literally no money whatsoever, though.

Also, I don't really expect it to be as moving as some previous Pixar movies. It looks like a just-for-fun one to me. I'll probably spend the entire movie watching Merida's hair.

Neerb

Just saw it today; I liked it, but it's far from Pixar's best. Watching the trailers and knowing it's Pixar, I had absolutely no idea what to expect for the plot, because frankly the trailers don't tell me squat, but I was at least thinking it might be something original and somewhat serious. What I got, however, was a plot so painfully cliche that non-Pixar Disney has already done it multiple times, with one particular instance seeming almost like Pixar blatantly ripped them off... [spoiler]Freaky Friday
The Emperor's New Groove
BROTHER BEAR[/spoiler] Additionally, the humor wasn't as clever as I hoped for; lots of shockingly low stuff, including multiple nude jokes, that frankly I didn't think had much of a place in a Pixar movie. That said, I still enjoyed the movie; as cliche as it is, it becomes much more enjoyable if I think of it as Pixar's attempt at a Disney movie, following well-worn plots and starring a princess, but with a touch of extra charm and the most beautiful visuals I've seen in a cartoon.

Far from Pixar's best due to the beaten path it follows, but it was a good Disney movie, and it's certainly several steps up from last year's Cars 2. Now I just hope Monster University doesn't fall back into the same trash next year... I'm not sure I can take another Pixar movie that's less than amazing.

Oh, and one more little complaint, but really specific, so don't click if you didn't see it:
[spoiler]The archery. It didn't freaking mean ANYTHING. Every single freaking trailer and picture about this movie is focused like crazy on the archery, the first half of the movie makes archery a huge deal, heck the original title of the movie was going to be "The Bear and the Bow." So, what does it amount to in the end? All of NOTHING. The giant spirit bear was completely impervious to arrows, Merida's mom does all the fighting, there's not even a one-arrow-left-to-activate-the-trap plot mechanism; all that focus on Merida's bow, and she doesn't use it (at least effectively) for the whole second half of the movie. She could have at LEAST shot the giant rock after her mom had loosened it or something.[/spoiler]

Kayo

I saw it last night, and it fell a bit short of my expectations. There simply wasn't enough humor compared to other Pixar movies, first of all, which was one thing I was looking for. And the plot felt terribly tried and true, like I've seen it all before. I could literally predict everything that was going to happen. Like Neerb said, I was also reminded all too much about
[spoiler]Brother Bear[/spoiler] to the point where it felt like a bit of a rip-off. It just plain and simple wasn't unique enough. Bit it WAS Pixar, so it wasn't awful, it just wasn't close to their best work.

Better than Cars, I agree. Better than pretty much all of Pixar's other movies? Not really. So I can agree with the feedback Tuppy mentioned.

[spoiler]And yeah, I would have liked to see archery as a more recurring theme. It wasn't.[/spoiler]
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

Tupin

Quote from: Kayo on July 07, 2012, 03:15:37 PM
I saw it last night, and it fell a bit short of my expectations. There simply wasn't enough humor compared to other Pixar movies, first of all, which was one thing I was looking for. And the plot felt terribly tried and true, like I've seen it all before. I could literally predict everything that was going to happen. Like Neerb said, I was also reminded all too much about
[spoiler]Brother Bear[/spoiler] to the point where it felt like a bit of a rip-off. It just plain and simple wasn't unique enough. Bit it WAS Pixar, so it wasn't awful, it just wasn't close to their best work.

Better than Cars, I agree. Better than pretty much all of Pixar's other movies? Not really. So I can agree with the feedback Tuppy mentioned.

[spoiler]And yeah, I would have liked to see archery as a more recurring theme. It wasn't.[/spoiler]
It wasn't a terrible movie, but like others have said, [spoiler]archery should have been a recurring theme, the scenes where Merida is using her bow are the most memorable in the entire film.[/spoiler]

Dog Food

I still haven't seen it. But it's Pixar, so I will. The only Pixar movie I haven't seen is Cars 2. And I'm not a fan of sequels, so I'm fine with that.

Although, [spoiler]I already know how it ends, I think. Meredith and her mom draw a bear in a coloring book or something? So based on your other spoilers, it sounds like Meredith releases a problem and her mom cleans up the mess with her maj0r sk1llz and Meredith realizes she loves her mom and they do have stuff in common and everything is happy-dappy again. But also your spoilers are making me not wanting to see this movie. No archery? It's taking Chevhok's Gun and totally shredding it into a million little pieces, burning it, and then burying the ashes. With my high Pixar expectations, I'll probably find a subpar Pixar movie to be plain crap and be sad and disappointed and I don't know if this movie is worth that.[/spoiler]
I get obsessively manic over things. It's a problem.

Tupin

Warning, I will spoil the ending in the next spoiler tag, so don't click if you don't want to know.

[spoiler]Merida's mom makes a tapestry that Merida slashes with her sword in a fit of rage. Merida visits a witch to get a spell to get her mom to get off her back. The spell turns her mom into a bear. They try to find the witch, find out that they have to stitch the tapestry back together by sunrise to end the curse. The castle sees a bear and chases after it, and take it to a clearing to kill it. Merida rides her horse and stitches the tapestry back together, and her mom turns back to normal.[/spoiler]

Yes, a Pixar movie not on the level of Wall-E or Ratatouille, but certainly better than anything in the Cars franchise. I think Wreck-It-Ralph may give Brave competition at the Oscars, not a lock for Pixar like it usually is.

Dog Food

Quote from: Tupin on July 13, 2012, 11:44:06 AM
Warning, I will spoil the ending in the next spoiler tag, so don't click if you don't want to know.

[spoiler]Merida's mom makes a tapestry that Merida slashes with her sword in a fit of rage. Merida visits a witch to get a spell to get her mom to get off her back. The spell turns her mom into a bear. They try to find the witch, find out that they have to stitch the tapestry back together by sunrise to end the curse. The castle sees a bear and chases after it, and take it to a clearing to kill it. Merida rides her horse and stitches the tapestry back together, and her mom turns back to normal.[/spoiler]

Yes, a Pixar movie not on the level of Wall-E or Ratatouille, but certainly better than anything in the Cars franchise. I think Wreck-It-Ralph may give Brave competition at the Oscars, not a lock for Pixar like it usually is.
I was looking forward to Brave more, until reviews starting coming out and they were less than positive. Now I'm more excited for Wreck-It-Ralph. But I'll still probably see both, even after now knowing the plot of Brave. I'll probably just watch it online when the quality starts getting better instead of wasting money on something I already know about.
I get obsessively manic over things. It's a problem.

The Riddler

I liked Brave. The only real criticism I have for it is that it's middle progression was too quick.

The beginning moved by at a good pace, and the ending moved by at a good pace.

In the middle it was basically [spoiler]bear daughter hate? oh suddenly we're playing in the water.[/spoiler] There wasn't enough development spent in the middle portion of the movie.