News:

<Clu> no nsfcd is basically a ghost town, it should be killed behind fences

Main Menu

Star Fox not for Core Fans?

Started by Macawmoses, April 03, 2009, 11:08:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Macawmoses

G4: Would you like to do another Star Fox game?

Dylan Cuthbert: (Laughter) After Command? Uhh, not yet. Maybe in another 10 years. I've made three.

G4: ...I have to ask you, why do you think it was always difficult for developers when Fox got out of the Arwing. Fox is a pilot, but they'd always get him out of...like the tank, the tank was cool, but it still felt like an Arwing - Why do you think people wanted to take him out of being a pilot and have him run around on foot?

Cuthbert: I think that's all Miyamoto. Whenever I speak to Miyamoto about Star Fox, he says it's not meant to be just a flying, sci-fi shooting game. It's meant to be anything we want to think up. But the core fans don't want that, but Miyamoto doesn't really care about that. He wants to make what he wants to make, so he just goes ahead and gets it done.

Then, Mr. Cuthbert brings us back to the launch of the Wii with this statement...

The Wii is a bit more of a toy, I think.

Do you think the progression Star Fox has taken is natural - augmenting the great shooting with adventure and exploration options? Is this a crowd pleaser, or is it more for the company?

As most of you know, I'm a huge SF fan. I may not fully agree with the direction of Star Fox, but Adventures was a masterpiece in its own right, while Command was certainly a welcome return to its roots with new ideas.

You?

Tupin

How about taking Star Fox back to what it was? Just flying around and shooting on-rails. Not that hard.

I like the original and 64, but couldn't get into the newer ones.

Quote from: SkyMyl
Tuppy frightens me with his knowledge of legacy technology.

SkyMyl

Flying and shooting on-rails was fun enough in the SNES and 64 ones, so...what happened? Playing 64 over and over is starting to get a little stale, and Assault is just too darn short to enjoy.

Quote from: Lord Layton on April 03, 2009, 11:08:40 PM
but Adventures was a masterpiece in its own right,
Yes it was...except for the fact it was just a dolled-up installment.

Nayrman

the whole "we don't care about the core" isn't anything new, but really the problem is that they can't decide what to do with the darn series. Maybe if they tried to develop some consistancy it'd be better for everyone.

Doodle

I like the different vehicles and running on foot. It adds variety to Star Fox games.
Command had some cool features, but was ruined by other ones. Such as the time limit.

Adventures...I wouldn't even consider that a Star Fox game.
They basically took Zelda and slapped Star Fox everywhere. I wanted a Star Fox game, not some cheesy spin-off. :-\

Anyone can enjoy Star Fox. People new to Star Fox can just pick it up and play, while people familiar with it still love it.
YEAH

Nayrman

Quote from: DOODLEboy99 on April 04, 2009, 11:07:29 AM
I like the different vehicles and running on foot. It adds variety to Star Fox games.
Command had some cool features, but was ruined by other ones. Such as the time limit.

Adventures...I wouldn't even consider that a Star Fox game.
They basically took Zelda and slapped Star Fox everywhere. I wanted a Star Fox game, not some cheesy spin-off. :-\

Anyone can enjoy Star Fox. People new to Star Fox can just pick it up and play, while people familiar with it still love it.
Adventures was it's own "Dinosaur Planet" game and they added Fox to make it more marketable...
once again Nintendo doesn't like new IP's... X_X;;

Transient Link

Adventures was a what Mack? Um I dont mean to argue but Adventures was average in my opinion, I did enjoy the story though. Also yeah I see where Miyamoto is going, and I think I can trust him overall, even though the new zelda seems... disappointing. However even though 64 had the best equation for success in star fox games I think they could definitely find a home in the exploration department. Think of a star fox game that allows you to travel the galaxy and finally take up the roll as the mercenaries the Star Fox team really are. You can go from planet to planet, system to system, and take out foes people hire you too. You could become more evil like Star Wolf, or keep on Star Fox's righteous path. Plus you could choose how you wanted to fight on the planet, in your Arwing, in your Landmaster, in the sub, or go take it out on foot. All the while having a developing plot line. You could even find hidden upgrades for your guns, Arwing, sub, and Landmaster on your travels. I think it looks promising. And I would say that Star Fox can still be for core fans, I say if anything they should do like in 64 and have an expert mode.

Friendly Hostile

Except you know, every other intercourse ing game is trying to do the darn choose to be good or evil thing.  It no longer makes games unique really.

While Adventures wasn't a traditional Starfox game, it showed that you can deviate from the original formula (they still kept it within the game though in having to get from each part of the planet) and still make a decent game.  It wasn't a spectacular game, but it wasn't horrid either.  Me and my friend enjoyed trying to beat it.

Transient Link

Quote from: Friendly Hostile on April 04, 2009, 01:48:10 PM
Except you know, every other f***ing game is trying to do the dang choose to be good or evil thing.  It no longer makes games unique really.

While Adventures wasn't a traditional Starfox game, it showed that you can deviate from the original formula (they still kept it within the game though in having to get from each part of the planet) and still make a decent game.  It wasn't a spectacular game, but it wasn't horrid either.  Me and my friend enjoyed trying to beat it.

Agreed, I did enjoy it, my biggest complaint was the traveling from planet to planet, I wish they would have taken more time. other than that I think it was solid, not amazing, but solid. And yeah I know, but if you take out the good/evil aspect, it would still make a solid SF game. Maybe you could race star wolf to different jobs haha.

Triforce_Luigi

Adventures.... was a decent game. But it didn't really feel like a Star Fox game, since, as has already been pointed out, it was originally completely different. Personally, I enjoy the Landmaster and on-foot levels. They added variety. Although I do think there should've been a little more on-rails shooter levels in Assault. Not necessarily for the Arwing, either. I'd like to see the return of the sub from 64, and maybe even a stage where your running on foot with rails, just for some form of deviation.

Qsmash

I don't mind Fox being on foot because it adds more elements to the gameplay, although I would prefer rail shooting stages in SF. Maybe in the future Fox will be running and shooting on rails.

Shujinco2

I kinda liked being able to walk around and kick some ass.

However, games like Assult had way WAY too much walking around. There should be a neat little balance of the two.

Zero

Adventures was pretty awesome back when it came out

I can't say the same for Assault though

Silverhawk79

I've never been a big fan of the on-foot portions of the newer SF games. I want to see a return to the old-school shooter on rails formula of the SNES Star Fox. D=