News:

<Clu> no nsfcd is basically a ghost town, it should be killed behind fences

Main Menu

The 3DS is now a success

Started by Zero, November 29, 2011, 02:12:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hero_of_Darkness

Only tripling the sales of the first week of November isn't impressive at all, especially since sales might have dipped that week in anticipation of Mario. Typically, a system sells more than half of its November total that week, so that percentage is typical. If anything, that fact that Nintendo didn't give an exact number may mean that it sold below expectations, and considering all of the sales 3DS had, I would have expected a 5x increase, not a 3x one.

If you have doubts about my take on it, look at the Wii and 360 numbers for that week. Both more than doubled their October sales in last week alone. For 3DS to have done that, it would have to have sold over 153,000 in the first week of November. The weekly average for October was 62,500.

Zero

The point here is that the 3DS has sold more than the DS did in its first year.

Kayo

Quote from: Michio Kaku on November 29, 2011, 05:57:21 PM
Now that the 3DS actually has games. If memory serves, the DS took longer to get a decent amount of games for it than the 3DS did.
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

Neerb

Quote from: Gravy-o on November 29, 2011, 07:12:33 PM
Now that the 3DS actually has games. If memory serves, the DS took longer to get a decent amount of games for it than the 3DS did.

This. DS launches with a bunch of gimmicks and one good first-party N64 game, 3DS launches with fewer gimmicks and one good PS360 game PLUS gets two good first-party N64 games within the first half-year. DS gets Nintendogs and Rayman 2 a couple months after launch, 3DS gets Nintendogs+Cats and Rayman 2 almost immediately (what's with Rayman 2, anyway?). DS takes a full year to get Mario Kart and a different new Mario game, 3DS takes 3/4 of a year to get Mario Kart and a different new Mario game. DS takes years to get a shop which basically never changes afterward, 3DS gets one a couple months after launch which Nintendo now puts a great deal of effort into updating and improving. DS does nothing to improve itself in its first year, 3DS has a huge discount with a bunch of games for people who bought it full price and sells more consoles than the DS. DS takes years to release the worst Zelda ever, 3DS takes months to release the best Zelda ever PLUS four other Zeldas, three of which are free.

People whine about the 3DS, but it was better than the DS from day one, and it's likely going to end up surpassing the DS given the awesome line-up already announced.

Hero_of_Darkness

Quote from: Michio Kaku on November 29, 2011, 05:57:21 PM

Which is an important point that I missed. (In addition to something else). I was just coming to correct myself. Yes, the number is impressive (over 600k total for the first three weeks of November), and it'll only get better next month. It's smooth sailing now, most likely.

So, the US is good, Japan is property of the 3DS... All that leaves is Europe. Sadly, we don't get sales figures from there often. The only thing that can be said is that no software is selling there. It's barely above the PSP in terms of software sales each month, and based on charts that Nintendo gave, the price cut didn't have a strong effect there past the first three weeks.

Kayo

Quote from: Delibird on November 29, 2011, 07:58:22 PM
This. DS launches with a bunch of gimmicks and one good first-party N64 game, 3DS launches with fewer gimmicks and one good PS360 game PLUS gets two good first-party N64 games within the first half-year. DS gets Nintendogs and Rayman 2 a couple months after launch, 3DS gets Nintendogs+Cats and Rayman 2 almost immediately (what's with Rayman 2, anyway?). DS takes a full year to get Mario Kart and a different new Mario game, 3DS takes 3/4 of a year to get Mario Kart and a different new Mario game. DS takes years to get a shop which basically never changes afterward, 3DS gets one a couple months after launch which Nintendo now puts a great deal of effort into updating and improving. DS does nothing to improve itself in its first year, 3DS has a huge discount with a bunch of games for people who bought it full price and sells more consoles than the DS. DS takes years to release the worst Zelda ever, 3DS takes months to release the best Zelda ever PLUS four other Zeldas, three of which are free.

People whine about the 3DS, but it was better than the DS from day one, and it's likely going to end up surpassing the DS given the awesome line-up already announced.
It's definitely going to surpass the DS, and I don't have a doubt in my mind about it now that I've seen its potential.
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

Viewtifulboy

Huh?  What has sales got to do with a system's success?

Kayo

[move][/move]

DededeCloneChris

Custom

Quote from: Viewtifulboy on March 11, 2013, 07:28:20 AM
Good job! I, Viewtifulboy, declare you the CHAMPION!

I'm the official winner of the Viewtiful Victory roleplay championship!

Flying Chickens