News:

UH SOMETHING BROKE HANG ON

Main Menu

HOWTO: Make a Pendulum song

Started by Dill, August 21, 2008, 07:23:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dill

My carpet is being replaced very soon, so I had to move everything out of my room. The only things that remain are my TV and my couch. With this new lack of my external harddrive (which has all of my music), I have been listening to Pandora or whatever CDs I can find to play on my TV. Sadly, I made the foul decision of playing In Silico by Pendulum. I highly recommend this album if you're a fan of Daft Punk, because it's a great example of how low some artists can really go (snicker snicker). So, here I go.

1) Use vocoders for the chorus, accompanied by an arpeggiated keyboard
2) Re-use Drum and Bass drums, but slow them down to a point where nobody recognizes them
3) Always use modulation when you play keyboards
4) If you like the way you made a song, make it again. Re-use the lyrics in another song with a different title. Nobody will notice the connection.

Now, with that said, Hold Your Colour was good. They've just done a good job making us forget how good they once were.

Chloroform?

Oh man. I feel like doing it now.

Zovistograt

Yeah, I heard In Silico sucked...it's really too bad.

Ah well, I'll just listen to songs like "Slam" and "Blood Sugar" and ignore their new releases ^_^
"I lovat a gabber.  I could listen to maure and moravar again.  Regn onder river.  Flies do your float.  Thick is the life for mere." - James Joyce (Finnegans Wake, page 213)

Dill

Quote from: Zovistograt on August 21, 2008, 06:49:05 PM
Yeah, I heard In Silico sucked...it's really too bad.

Ah well, I'll just listen to songs like "Slam" and "Blood Sugar" and ignore their new releases ^_^

In Silico is the kind of bad where you begin to wonder how they could become so bad so quickly. I mean, most artists have a gradual decrease or something, but Pendulum just dived right in with no shame.

Even their mixes are terrible. I bought Jungle Sound II on vinyl because I thought it would be as good as Bass Invaderz was (which had a Pendulum song in it), but it wasn't even as good as In Silico. I didn't think that was possible, but they exceeded my expectations with flying colours.

Chloroform?

I've actually never listened to In Silico. Is it really that bad?

Dill

Quote from: Chloroform? on August 22, 2008, 09:53:02 AM
I've actually never listened to In Silico. Is it really that bad?

It's terrible.

Also, I just want to point out that Blood Sugar is not that great. Apparently that seems to be the hit song all the cool kids are listening to (I hear its name all the time), but I really don't see what all the hubbub is about. It's not bad, but it's not five stars, either. Songs like Another Planet or Fasten Your Seatbelts are the ones that deserve credit.

Zovistograt

Quote from: Dill on August 22, 2008, 11:22:24 AM
Also, I just want to point out that Blood Sugar is not that great. Apparently that seems to be the hit song all the cool kids are listening to (I hear its name all the time), but I really don't see what all the hubbub is about. It's not bad, but it's not five stars, either. Songs like Another Planet or Fasten Your Seatbelts are the ones that deserve credit.
Eh, I like it because it's exciting and has a good synth riff.  I like their stuff that can be used in the same mix with hardcore and gabber tracks.
"I lovat a gabber.  I could listen to maure and moravar again.  Regn onder river.  Flies do your float.  Thick is the life for mere." - James Joyce (Finnegans Wake, page 213)

Dill

Quote from: Zovistograt on August 22, 2008, 06:22:25 PM
Eh, I like it because it's exciting and has a good synth riff.  I like their stuff that can be used in the same mix with hardcore and gabber tracks.

That's one big problem I have with most of the DJs I know (most of being one out of two). There's a difference between songs that were made to stand alone, and then there are songs that are made specifically so some rad kid with a turntable will use their record. Blood Sugar is a very good example of a song that was clearly made so it would show up on the next Jungle Sound or Nightlife.

Zovistograt

Quote from: Dill on August 22, 2008, 07:59:10 PM

That's one big problem I have with most of the DJs I know (most of being one out of two). There's a difference between songs that were made to stand alone, and then there are songs that are made specifically so some rad kid with a turntable will use their record. Blood Sugar is a very good example of a song that was clearly made so it would show up on the next Jungle Sound or Nightlife.
Right, but I prefer nonstop raving, and that kind of thing does it for me.  I don't think that's the right mentality towards songs that sound good in mixes though.  I think that electronic music should be made so that it DOES fit into a mix nicely, so that it could be part of a killer set.  Experimental stuff and werider things like breakcore should be "standing alone", but really, it's not like making a song that fits well with other songs is a crime.  It's a recognition that hardcore is legion and HTID is union.  Err...yeah we can include some dnb in there.  Yeah.

Dill

Quote from: Zovistograt on August 22, 2008, 08:19:25 PM

Right, but I prefer nonstop raving, and that kind of thing does it for me.  I don't think that's the right mentality towards songs that sound good in mixes though.  I think that electronic music should be made so that it DOES fit into a mix nicely, so that it could be part of a killer set.  Experimental stuff and werider things like breakcore should be "standing alone", but really, it's not like making a song that fits well with other songs is a crime.  It's a recognition that hardcore is legion and HTID is union.  Err...yeah we can include some dnb in there.  Yeah.

I'm not saying that any other song is completely un-usable. Look at other Pendulum songs like Another Planet. That song is pretty unique, and sounds very melodious when standing alone. DJ Fresh mixed it with Fast Car by Dillinja and it sounded beautiful, and that put the icing on the cake for that mix.

Any bum can put Harder Better Faster Stronger and some random rap song on a turntable and be called a DJ, but I refuse to show any respect for one that doesn't try to experiment.

Have you ever heard Amon Tobin DJ (I believe I showed you a video of him once)? I know it's not your genre, but almost all of his sets are experimental, and he's probably one of the best DJs I've ever heard. He's gone so far as to mixing a Duke Ellington song (that's jazz) with various drum battles, and it sounded not only unique, but amazing.

Sure, it's easy to mix a lot of songs at nearly the same tempo and with the same-sounding synth riffs, but if you ask me, it's a " seen one, seen them all" kind of situation. And all this time I had been convinced that music was supposed to be unique.

Zovistograt

Quote from: Dill on August 23, 2008, 01:11:55 PM

I'm not saying that any other song is completely un-usable. Look at other Pendulum songs like Another Planet. That song is pretty unique, and sounds very melodious when standing alone. DJ Fresh mixed it with Fast Car by Dillinja and it sounded beautiful, and that put the icing on the cake for that mix.

Any bum can put Harder Better Faster Stronger and some random rap song on a turntable and be called a DJ, but I refuse to show any respect for one that doesn't try to experiment.

Have you ever heard Amon Tobin DJ (I believe I showed you a video of him once)? I know it's not your genre, but almost all of his sets are experimental, and he's probably one of the best DJs I've ever heard. He's gone so far as to mixing a Duke Ellington song (that's jazz) with various drum battles, and it sounded not only unique, but amazing.

Sure, it's easy to mix a lot of songs at nearly the same tempo and with the same-sounding synth riffs, but if you ask me, it's a " seen one, seen them all" kind of situation. And all this time I had been convinced that music was supposed to be unique.
Right, and that works for some types of electronic music.  However, some of Pendulum's dnb is out of the range of that type of experimental freedom in which case mixing it would be disasterous.  As such, songs like Blood Sugar (keeping with the origins of this discussion) would fit more in line with something like a hardcore/hardcore breaks type of mix.  Even so, I think it's a good song to listen to alone, too.  I love electronic music that takes you on an exciting trip into the unexplored, sure (I listen to breakcore, after all), but I also love electronic music that keeps you pumping.  I thrive on hard beats, so something like Blood Sugar which is basically a roller coaster with one long drop is what I love.

As for the idea that non-experimental mixes are "seen one, seen them all"...you really haven't listened to some really good hardcore mixes, eh?  I'm not talking about random kids on turntables.  I'm talking about professional hardcore producers and DJ's who really know what they're doing.  Listen to a live mix by a hardcore DJ who also produces sometime.  It's not really experimental as you say (lol Elton John) but it's good.  And that's the kind of thing that Blood Sugar would fit in.

Dill

Quote from: Zovistograt on August 24, 2008, 10:00:34 AM

Right, and that works for some types of electronic music.  However, some of Pendulum's dnb is out of the range of that type of experimental freedom in which case mixing it would be disasterous.  As such, songs like Blood Sugar (keeping with the origins of this discussion) would fit more in line with something like a hardcore/hardcore breaks type of mix.  Even so, I think it's a good song to listen to alone, too.  I love electronic music that takes you on an exciting trip into the unexplored, sure (I listen to breakcore, after all), but I also love electronic music that keeps you pumping.  I thrive on hard beats, so something like Blood Sugar which is basically a roller coaster with one long drop is what I love.

As for the idea that non-experimental mixes are "seen one, seen them all"...you really haven't listened to some really good hardcore mixes, eh?  I'm not talking about random kids on turntables.  I'm talking about professional hardcore producers and DJ's who really know what they're doing.  Listen to a live mix by a hardcore DJ who also produces sometime.  It's not really experimental as you say (lol Elton John) but it's good.  And that's the kind of thing that Blood Sugar would fit in.

I'll be honest with you and say that I'm too biased to listen to more than a few hardcore mixes. After I hear more than three bad ones in a row, I'll typically just give up and listen to someone I'm familiar with. So, with that said, I believe you and I owe it to ourselves to listen to each other's music. Or at least I deserve to be shown what good hardcore is. Give me some artists or mixes, and if you're up for it I'll do the same for you.

Zovistograt

Quote from: Dill on August 24, 2008, 06:37:45 PM
Quote from: Zovistograt on August 24, 2008, 10:00:34 AM

I'll be honest with you and say that I'm too biased to listen to more than a few hardcore mixes. After I hear more than three bad ones in a row, I'll typically just give up and listen to someone I'm familiar with. So, with that said, I believe you and I owe it to ourselves to listen to each other's music. Or at least I deserve to be shown what good hardcore is. Give me some artists or mixes, and if you're up for it I'll do the same for you.
Well, to like hardcore mixes, you have to like hardcore.  I know you're more into IDM and dnb :P

Actually, I'm listening to IDM right now :P