News:

UH SOMETHING BROKE HANG ON

Main Menu

Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon

Started by B.A.M., April 07, 2009, 01:59:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B.A.M.

I tore open the box with the wildest smile you may ever see from a stereotypical teenager upon arriving home with my recently purchased Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon game. In frenzy I rushed upstairs, skipping steps I dare say, in order to retrieve my DS and enjoy what has become my favorite series of all time! To my delight the graphics, story, music, and gameplay were all there; I felt right at home. However, I couldn't help but feel empty inside. Upon writing this review I have discovered the cause; I want more, and Shadow Dragon doesn't have it.

Basic Information

1.Platform:
DS
2.Publisher: Nintendo
3.Developer: Intelligent Systems
4.ESRB Rating: E10+ For Everyone 10 and up
5.North American Release Date: February 16, 2009
6.Genre: Turn-based tactics
7.Multiplayer: Yes

Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon is a remake of the first Fire Emblem game originally only for Japan on the NES. Fans (myself included) finally have been given what they have been craving for; remakes of the classic Fire Emblem games which made the U.S. released ones what they are today. In Shadow Dragon we follow the napoleonic story of Prince Marth who had to flee from his home kingdom as a result of invading forces. After living on an island for years, training, he comes back to save his empire and gain back control as well as saving some people close to his heart along the way.

Fire Emblem games, for those of you that don't know, are filled with horses, dragons, and spears (Oh my!) and everything else you would imagine existing in Lord of the Rings or Medieval Times. Nobel kings protect their lands as evil ones try to dominate others, heroes lose their way only to come back for a new and greater cause, the young farm boy who leaves his home to become a great warrior and protector of those he loves; childhood dreams I feel we still all share despite our admittance to it. Nevertheless, Fire Emblem is renowned for its epic stories, its timeless characters, its inspiring music, its difficulty, and its down-right-fun gameplay; and Shadow Dragon, for the most part, is no different.

As previously mentioned in the "Basic Information" Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon, as with the whole series, is a turn-based strategy game. Unlike its sister game, Advance Wars, you control characters which stay with you from chapter to chapter (levels) which interact with each other. Interaction between characters reveals plot details and relationships as well as teammates which can be stolen from the enemy's army which have a history with a specific character. Probably most notorious of Fire Emblem games, not only do the units you send off to battle have relationships but they also can die. In Fire Emblem, when you lose a character, you lose it forever. While this may seem foreign, for a Nintendo game at least, and a bad thing, don't worry, it's not. In fact, it makes the game that much harder, that much more interesting, and that much closer to your heart. If characters never died I wouldn't give a flying biscuit (or squirrel for that matter) about famous characters like Ike, Roy, and, of course, Marth!But don't take these allusions to previous American games as a promise that it will be just like them.

For whatever reason I found myself basically being pulled along a linear story with very linear characters in a, by comparison, uninspiring story. Marth's story isn't limited to one game on the NES but rather in a couple. The 2nd part of his story, which, yes, I did research on, is much more interesting, thought provoking, as well as surprising as opposed to Shadow Dragon's. Understandably, Shadow Dragon is a remake of a game that originally came out in the year 1990. But why stop there?  Why not add Fire Emblem: Monshou no Nazo (Marth's 2nd game) to the DS's first Fire Emblem game or side quests? Whatever the matter, for fans of the series such as myself who have only played the American released games you will find the story not as mystical, adventure-ish, and, put as plainly as can be, as fun as the others. However, a hero rising back to take his kingdom back from the forces of evil? That's still a great story, just not up to Intelligent Systems', much less Fire Emblem's, standards.

Have I forgotten to mention that this if Fire Emblem's first appearance on the DS? Control-wise, like on the Wii, it is best played the classic way for new and old Fire Emblem players purely because it's just more comfortable. However, Intelligent Systems takes full advantage of the dual screens as it has done with its two DS Advance Wars games. On the bottom screen you see the map full of trees, bushes, armories, soldiers, and villages. On the top screen you see statistics, an overview of the map, as well as personal portraits of the characters. Upon attacking or engaging in conversation the top screen either changes to the two soldiers fighting or conversing in written text. One thing that surprised though me as soon as I saw it actually was the new 3D battle sprites.

These sprites, as shown below, terribly stick out of the landscape. For those new to the series, the battle sprites were previously 2D sprites which are so renowned that sites exist which thrive off the sharing and producing of them. However, after playing through some more, the 3D sprites prove to not be bad, just different. And I suppose this is a good thing being that Intelligent Systems is trying something new but this is something that I feel should have been left alone.

Thankfully though the written text is still there. It's funny really, Fire Emblem is one of the only Nintendo games I can think of that has used voice acting for its characters (see the console Fire Emblem games  Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn) but it's trademark conversation, which can be very lengthy, is my favorite of all the games I've played. Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon makes no changes here but, if anything, has it set to a minimum. For new players, this may be a good thing but I found myself, still, wanting more.

On a side note, music and difficulty are also the same as previous games, good and hard. While nothing, to me, stands out music-wise I never found myself turning the music off because of it. As for difficulty the first thing you do in Shadow Dragon is choose it, and you have many levels of it to choose from. Even if you're new you will find the lowest somewhat challenging but nothing too neither hard nor easy to throw you off the game. As with Goldilocks, it's just right.

To Intelligent Systems' credit, they did add new things. However, they are far from new to the genre but rather just the series. One of the things is the new ability to change classes of characters. It actually is great and brings new challenges and strategy to the game. My only gripe about it is my old self used to sword fighters being only on foot and horse riders riding a horse. Seeing certain characters just change like that feels unnatural to this fire emblem fan, but to a new player it should come with great approval. But after a while I'm sure even series fans will come to love it and enjoy it's hidden depths as others acclaim about.

The second and probably most noticeable is the online multiplayer available on Shadow Dragon. Full with voice chat, when friend codes are used, and 5 vs 5 player battles for games like fog of war, siege, etc. Along with this is an online shop which you can buy from and sell to. Again, nothing new to the genre but a big step for the series with its first online play. Knowing Intelligent Systems, they'll get it even better and greater the 2nd time.

When it's all said and done, the story, by all means, is epic, the controls are natural, the music and graphics feel right at home, and the multiplayer and class-changing system is an exciting new change with big promises for the future but none of this elevated it over the other games. A remake of a 1990 game, I know I shouldn't be too surprised.  In fact if I weren't a fan of the series I could see myself more than happy with all of the things Shadow Dragon has to offer. Like the original, Shadow Dragon becomes the perfect introductory game on a new platform which attracts players of all types. There is enough for fans of the series to enjoy and play endlessly and there is enough to hook and reel new players in and more. Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon could have been much much better but it was still good and will remain in my DS for a long long time.

8.3/10 A.K.A. Good

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Author's Note: This is my first Nintendo game review in a long time (As well as review for that matter) but I feel I've improved a lot in terms of fact vs. opinion. I feel, for whatever reason that the review is unfinished but I'm comfortable enough with it. Please comment even if you say "good review" because it lets me know you read it! Also, as always, if you want to use this for your site just be sure to ask me first. ;)

Macawmoses

I quite enjoyed the review....but I'm torn on it. There are things I liked...things I did not. Not in the mood to go over it.

And as such, I agree with many points. SD hit some keynotes, but it failed in other regions, for me. Regardless, worth the buy.

B.A.M.

Quote from: Lord Layton on April 07, 2009, 03:04:36 PM
I quite enjoyed the review....but I'm torn on it. There are things I liked...things I did not. Not in the mood to go over it.

And as such, I agree with many points. SD hit some keynotes, but it failed in other regions, for me. Regardless, worth the buy.
I keep seeing all these things I wish I would bothers to change after re-reading it for the 100th time since initially posting it. ;_;

I tried somewhat of a new style with this review but I think I need to probably work on smoothness in the paragraphs and an overall message which is reflected which I feel I do not do the best job of (more noticeably in my other reviews, not this one).

Macawmoses

Well, if I had access to some of my critiques on NS2 I could go over it a bit more. You have a serious paragraph transition problem, for instance, that could be fixed with a few words like "furthermore". Things like that.

Still, it was good.

B.A.M.

I made some changes with paragraph continuity and I think I solved the problem for the most part. ;)

HTA!

Bah.
I both love and hate the character class transitions.

For stat molding they are great, for character memorability they are not.

In fact, none of the characters really stuck with me at all.
Largely due to the story, but also because their is no real identity to any of them (class changing).

I find myself playing my 12 play through of FE7 rather than beating SD a second time...
But that's the breaks I suppose. I am hoping for a new addition to the series for the handhelds

B.A.M.

FE7? Mine broke right before the final boss. >.>''''

Magnum

Quote from: B.A.M. on April 09, 2009, 01:59:43 PM
Get a Rom. You technically own it so it's not illegal.
And I liked the review. I've never been to good at them myself as most games I play get a 10. I think this was pretty fair and hit a lot of facts.
To bad my DS got stolen  :( Oh well I never was a big fan enough of the game to buy it anyways but it was still nice to read.

Oh Vesperia, never change... never change

B.A.M.

Quote from: MagnumSonic on April 09, 2009, 04:14:37 PM
Quote from: B.A.M. on April 09, 2009, 01:59:43 PM
Get a Rom. You technically own it so it's not illegal.
And I liked the review. I've never been to good at them myself as most games I play get a 10. I think this was pretty fair and hit a lot of facts.
To bad my DS got stolen  :( Oh well I never was a big fan enough of the game to buy it anyways but it was still nice to read.
I would have if I didn't find Golden Sun at the mall today! :O

I somehow got locked in a loop hole in the game (checked every guide and help site) and when I went to start over I lost it. ;_;

After years of searching....I have it. :)

Also, thanks about the review. ^_^