Arceus
8 (40%)
Mew
3 (15%)
Sunkern
9 (45%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Rayquarian

It seems like since Arceus was revealed, there has been some argument over what pok?mon is the "God" of the pok?mon world.  Of course, Arceus is god because of the in-game descriptions of it and the fact that it created the world.  However, Mew is the common ancestor to almost all of the pok?mon.

So in your eyes, which one is "God?"

Triforce_Luigi

I would say Arceus is god in the sense that it technically created the world. If Arceus is god, then Mew would probably be Adam and Eve. Minus the whole "sin and get kicked out of paradise" thing.

jnfs2014

Neerb

Gwen Khan

Quote from: Triforce_Luigi on August 23, 2009, 02:03:10 PM
I would say Arceus is god in the sense that it technically created the world. If Arceus is god, then Mew would probably be Adam and Eve. Minus the whole "sin and get kicked out of paradise" thing.

that's what I was gonna say

bluaki

Pokemon world doesn't need a god.
But Mew definitely isn't one; it's clearly a common ancestor of all according to all pokedex info, not a creator of everything.
Now Sunkern, on the other hand, can be argued either way D=

But really, the recent games clearly say that Arceus is the god of the pokemon world.

I kinda hate all the 4th gen legendary ideas, besides maybe Cresselia/Darkrai. They're all either complete rehashes of previous legendary ideas or just plain uncreative. Celebi was the previous legendary of time, now Dialga is controller of time. Palkia as controller of space seems pretty silly and just made out there to counterpart Dialga. Giratina as the ruler of a pointless alternate world is even worse. The lake trio are all... pokemon representations of human emotions? And at that they all also share the same body and type? Regigigas is just the king of three previous legendaries who were fine as is. Shaymin doesn't do anything but maybe help forests, which Celebi already does. Manaphy is just some water prince thing that also does nothing special. Phione is its even more pointless baby which kills the definition of legendary itself.

I'd say to stick to worldly ideas (Zapdos is the incarnation of lightning, Celebi is traveller of time, Ho-oh represents the skies, Groudon represents the land) or special things related to pokemon themselves (Mew being the DNA pokemon, Mewtwo being its clone and a human attempt at creating the ultimate pokemon), but I guess the Pokemon creators already ran out of possible ideas for that. Which means they shouldn't be continuing to double the number of legendaries introduced in each generation.

DededeCloneChris

God > Ancestor.

Arceus is the god of all Pokemon.

Mew is just a family member (or something like that).

And Sunkern is just a floating bag of potatoes.

JrDude

Quote from: JNFS2014 on August 23, 2009, 02:03:46 PM
http://faqs.ign.com/articles/785/785965p1.html

That's all I have to say.
Psh, that thing is a bunch of bull poop.
"more eggs:
Uxie (Knowledge),
Mesprit (Emotion),
and Azelf (Willpower), the Pokemon of Thoughts. These eggs stayed dormant."
Those 3 were all born in the same egg, it says so either in the Pok?dex or Brawl (or both), while this thing says they were in separate eggs.
Anyway, there is no God of Pok?mon, if a Pok?mon can lose a battle, it obviously isn't a god.
[move][/move]
Dude .

Neerb

Quote from: JrDude ♫ on August 23, 2009, 08:00:47 PM
Anyway, there is no God of Pok?mon, if a Pok?mon can lose a battle, it obviously isn't a god.

Sure, Arceus isn't the pokemon parallel of God Almighty, but he could still be a deity; just like the gods of Greek/Roman mythology, each one has special powers (Arceus can create pokemon and exist apart from time and space, etc.), but none are omnipotent, omniscient, or omnipresent, and as such can be defeated.

The alternate theory is that, like in the anime (the 12th movie specifically), none of them actually did anything the legends say.  Rather, people just decided to worship them because they were the strongest creatures in Sinnoh (note that Sinnoh, the homeland of these pokemon, is the only one that features any reference to them; i'd think other regions would also have reference of some kind if these really were the gods of the pokemon world).

darkmario

Quote from: Bluaki on August 23, 2009, 04:03:04 PM
I kinda hate all the 4th gen legendary ideas, besides maybe Cresselia/Darkrai. They're all either complete rehashes of previous legendary ideas or just plain uncreative. Celebi was the previous legendary of time, now Dialga is controller of time. Palkia as controller of space seems pretty silly and just made out there to counterpart Dialga. Giratina as the ruler of a pointless alternate world is even worse. The lake trio are all... pokemon representations of human emotions? And at that they all also share the same body and type? Regigigas is just the king of three previous legendaries who were fine as is. Shaymin doesn't do anything but maybe help forests, which Celebi already does. Manaphy is just some water prince thing that also does nothing special. Phione is its even more pointless baby which kills the definition of legendary itself.
What about some of the second and third gens?
The 3 dogs are just "rehashes" of the 3 birds. I'd say that isn't very creative. Or if lugia is the beast of the sea, what is Kyogre?

Ho-oh represents the skys?  Then Rayquaza is another rehash. 

bluaki

Quote from: darkmario on August 24, 2009, 12:33:23 AM
What about some of the second and third gens?
The 3 dogs are just "rehashes" of the 3 birds. I'd say that isn't very creative. Or if lugia is the beast of the sea, what is Kyogre?

Ho-oh represents the skys?  Then Rayquaza is another rehash.
I agree with all that, actually.
I felt like the idea for Kyogre/Rayquaza was too much like Lugia/Ho-oh and that the legendary dogs weren't very much different in stories from the birds.

Although, the legendary dogs do have the story of being killed in the Brass Tower and then revived by Ho-oh, which itself might be the reason for their legends. Though that's not a very good one, seeing as that would make all three of them based upon a secondary theme to Ho-oh which itself is revival like any phoenix.

Also, though Kyogre's story might be a lot like Lugia's, Groudon's isn't like anything before it. Then Rayquaza is actually just stuck there to try to keep control of the battles between those two, with its sky association being because of the duo's ability to control weather.

Neerb

I never played G/S/C; what exactly is the purpose of Lugia and Ho-oh in those games?

Lotos

Quote from: SmashBro25 on August 24, 2009, 08:14:53 AM
I never played G/S/C; what exactly is the purpose of Lugia and Ho-oh in those games?
Compiled from Bulbapedia.

Ho-Oh: "Ho-Oh's most notable ability is its power to resurrect the dead...Ho-Oh used to perch at the top of Tin Tower until the Brass Tower was destroyed by fire.  I remembered that Ho-Oh has something to do with the legendary dogs."  Apparently Suicune, "along with Raikou and Entei, one of the legendary beasts created by Ho-Oh after the burning of the Brass Tower."

Lugia - "Much like the birds, it possesses the ability to control the weather."

Lotos

Someone explain where Mew fits in if it has the DNA of all of the Pok?mon?

Neerb

Quote from: Lotos on August 24, 2009, 09:50:25 AM
Someone explain where Mew fits in if it has the DNA of all of the Pok?mon?

First non-god-like pokemon created.

So, after Arceus made all the pokemon required for life to work (Dialga=time, Palkia=space, Giratina=dimension, Azelf=willpower, Mesprit=emotion, Uxie=knowledge, Groudon=earth, Kyogre=sea, Rayquaza=sky), Mew was made with infinite DNA so all other pokemon to evolve from it.