News:

<+Clu> have you tried barbecuing the computer

Main Menu

The NSFCD Theremin Academy- Just Use Your Hands

Started by SkyMyl, September 08, 2010, 04:15:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris8492

OK, so i was outside testing the generator just incase the power goes out because the lights were flickering from the storm. Suddenly tthe whole sky lights up Green, and the power completely goes out for the three seconds its all lit up, and then when it disappears, the power comes back on. What was that!?!? I've never seen that before in a snow storm!

Kayo

Quote from: Chris93 on October 29, 2011, 03:25:56 PM
Seems my area lucked out during the hurricane. I wasnt home, but everyone said the worst is that trees were down, and we were dead center in its path.

And i would say thats pretty close to being ravaged Kayo. But we've been completely iced over here before, we lost power for 2 weeks or so in 08. Thousands of trees were down from that ice storm. That was worse than Irene. I think the whole entire state lost power.
Dead center after it got downgraded to a Tropical Storm. The last thing it hit as a hurricane was... New York.

Also, when you say "entire state" you're talking about a tiny state. I think as many people in NY lost power as the entire population of New Hampshire.

Also, a 2-foot wide oak tree just fell in my yard, a foot away from taking out half my house. The half my bedroom is in.
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

Silverhawk79

At a concert. Waiting for boring openers to finish so I can hear Thrice and La Dispute.

Chris8492

Ok, so apparently that greenish blue light that made the power flicker constantly was Saint Elmo's Fire. Potentially rarest form of lighting and found in most of the worst storms. Yet again, One helluva a lightshow. Weird thing is, this lightning travels upwards, branches off into the sky, and then travels back down quickly and is practically soundless.

Not only that, my Wii is acting a bit off, same with my DSi, and several other electronics. And Kayo, from the storm recently, Tons of trees were down, and my neightbors house got buried.

CoasterKid93

St. Elmo's Fire is an incredibly rare form of lightning, and it gives off a substantially higher amount of energy compared to regular lightning. I wouldn't be surprised if it screwed with your electronics a little bit.
Quote from: whatwewishfor on March 14, 2014, 09:35:19 AM
DINAH I EAT DINAH EVERY NIGHT LAST NIGHT I HAD PIZZA HAHAHAHAH

Chris8492

Yeah considering it lit up the whole sky like it was daylight several times. Never seen anything like it before, ever, and i swear my DSi that was plugged in flashed brightly (the screens that is), the power flickered  in the house and went out for a couple days along with that too.

Syncopathic

Macawmoses

Doodle

Mack is the rich white guy and we're all the dirty African villagers.
He'd love to take us all in but it'd be needlessly expensive and messy.
YEAH

Kayo

Quote from: Chris93 on October 31, 2011, 12:22:24 PM
Yeah considering it lit up the whole sky like it was daylight several times. Never seen anything like it before, ever, and i swear my DSi that was plugged in flashed brightly (the screens that is), the power flickered  in the house and went out for a couple days along with that too.
Seriously, you complain about the alleged intensity of your alleged lightning so much; IF IT'S THAT FUCKING BAD, don't leave your DSi plugged in. Seriously.
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

Chris8492

Kayo, didnt know it was lightning until i saw it wasnt the transformer letting off a flash. you would've done the same thing in the storm.

Kayo

Quote from: Chris93 on October 31, 2011, 07:13:19 PM
Kayo, didnt know it was lightning until i saw it wasnt the transformer letting off a flash. you would've done the same thing in the storm.

Uh, no. I would have unplugged everything ASAP, because I have common sense. I've lost electric appliances in the past thanks to power surges (my alarm clock forever RIP) when I didn't think I had to unplug anything. I learned my lesson, now it's time you learned yours. Unplug things in thunderstorms. It's not rocket science.
[move][/move]

Neerb

Quote from: Kayghost on October 31, 2011, 09:21:06 PM
Uh, no. I would have unplugged everything ASAP, because I have common sense. I've lost electric appliances in the past thanks to power surges (my alarm clock forever RIP) when I didn't think I had to unplug anything. I learned my lesson, now it's time you learned yours. Unplug things in thunderstorms. It's not rocket science.

So why are you talking down to him? It never occurred to you until it happened, and it never occurred to him until it happened. Don't get upset over it.

Chris8492

No poop sherlock. But it was a SNOW STORM, again SNOW. i've lived up in this area which gets bombarded by snowfall and have never heard of lightning appearing in a snow storm and happen to know quite a lot about storms. i can guarantee you would've done the same. In a Thunderstorm, of course i unplug everything.

And whats with the attitude dude?

CoasterKid93

Wow Kayo, great post.
Quote from: whatwewishfor on March 14, 2014, 09:35:19 AM
DINAH I EAT DINAH EVERY NIGHT LAST NIGHT I HAD PIZZA HAHAHAHAH