News:

<Clu> no nsfcd is basically a ghost town, it should be killed behind fences

Main Menu

Sonic vs Mario

Started by Tupin, July 25, 2012, 07:55:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tupin

Though this is usually sold as "gaming's biggest rivalry," has anyone else always preferred Mario games? Even with the earliest Sonic games, I'd still rather play a Super Mario Bros. 3 or Super Mario World. Obviously only one has consistently kept its quality over the years, but even with games like Sonic Colors, I still would rather play the newest Mario game.

This struck me when I went back to playing Sonic Adventure 2 and then Sunshine. The latter held up way better. Which series do you prefer?

Quote from: SkyMyl
Tuppy frightens me with his knowledge of legacy technology.

Zero

Mario games are of higher quality, but don't offer what Sonic fans generally want in a platformer, so you won't here them agree with you.

Mario games are better.

Nayrman

"Mario games are better". In what sense? In terms of overall series history, yes, but the original Sonic games Sonic 1-3&K are just as good as the old Mario games. Near flawless control, many routes per level so unless you choose the same route, lots of replayability to explore, great graphics and music for the system it was on, and so on.

And to me, sadly, Mario 3's greatness is getting more and more diminished each time Nintendo lazily shoehorns in imagery from the game in every lazily done "New" Super Mario Bros. game. At least SEGA had the 20th Anniversary excuse for generations, but usually tries some new things outside of the green hill level 1 motif.

Just to give Sonic some love. :P

Zero

Quote from: Nayrman on July 26, 2012, 04:31:01 AM
"Mario games are better". In what sense? In terms of overall series history, yes, but the original Sonic games Sonic 1-3&K are just as good as the old Mario games. Near flawless control, many routes per level so unless you choose the same route, lots of replayability to explore, great graphics and music for the system it was on, and so on.

And to me, sadly, Mario 3's greatness is getting more and more diminished each time Nintendo lazily shoehorns in imagery from the game in every lazily done "New" Super Mario Bros. game. At least SEGA had the 20th Anniversary excuse for generations, but usually tries some new things outside of the green hill level 1 motif.

Just to give Sonic some love. :P

You can quite literally hold right to win in early Sonic games. Scenery goes by so fast that you can barely take it in. Super Mario World was graphically superior to just about every early Sonic game too.

I love Sonic 3. It's probably my favorite Genesis game, and I played it more than I did early Mario games too. I'm just being honest.

It helps that Nintendo has superior art direction and that Mario games are just flat out more charming.

All of this is IMO, but yeah.

Tupin

Plus, once you get past 1995, it's no contest.

Quote from: SkyMyl
Tuppy frightens me with his knowledge of legacy technology.

Zero

Quote from: Tupin on July 26, 2012, 02:44:02 PM

Yeah, this.

I love early Sonic games.

zephilicious

Quote from: Tupin on July 26, 2012, 02:44:02 PM
and since all of you were 3 years old then why does this thread exist?
~~ <3

DededeCloneChris

Mario has no rival at this point.

Sonic's biggest rival would be...uh...his studio's death?

Zero

Quote from: zephilicious on July 26, 2012, 03:27:09 PM
and since all of you were 3 years old then why does this thread exist?

I started playing video games just shy of my 3rd birthday. It's fine that this thread exists.