I don't want to write anymore essays  :(
Quote from: whatwewishfor on March 14, 2014, 09:35:19 AM
DINAH I EAT DINAH EVERY NIGHT LAST NIGHT I HAD PIZZA HAHAHAHAH

Zero

I don't want to take any more exams

I just want to synthesize compounds and get paid for it

Custom

Quote from: Viewtifulboy on March 11, 2013, 07:28:20 AM
Good job! I, Viewtifulboy, declare you the CHAMPION!

I'm the official winner of the Viewtiful Victory roleplay championship!

Britz

I have to write a 8-10 page theoretical essay centered around Woody Allen's Manhattan. It's due in like 3 weeks and I already want to kill myself.

Quote from: CoasterKid93 on March 17, 2013, 03:00:11 PM
Mine only lasted a week too lol

Same here. What's worse is that I'm on spring break right now when all my other friends had it last week. I can barely hang out with Custom or anyone else. :(

Zero

I have two exams in the same class not even a week apart

Everyone in the class was telling the professor he can't plan for poop, it was intercourse ing GREAT not being alone in calling out the professor's bullpoop for once

CoasterKid93

Same here. What's worse is that I'm on spring break right now when all my other friends had it last week. I can barely hang out with Custom or anyone else. :(

Yeah, I was doing a lot of work over Spring Break too. I think when you hit college all breaks become "breaks."

AdamSakuru

Alberta College of Art and Design...Holy poop. I never thought college was going to be easy, and I went into ACAD well aware that it was going to challenge me; the design department has a reputation for throwing more at their students than pretty much any other art institution, they have a pretty high dropout rate. The students that do succeed have a chance of going on to do great things (specifically design students).

I've just finished my first year at ACAD. So upon seeing this topic, I sort of feel I need to vent a bit. So feel free to ignore if you don't want to see a bit of a rant;

The most challenging thing at in my first year of studies for design was learning. Anything. They should really advertise this more, but they have a certain expectation of how one should be drawing when you get to ACAD. In my case, I've done a lot of 'delusional' drawing. I like to draw cartoons and things I make up in my head. I've certainly drawn realism before, but not enough to incorporate it into my art practice in the way my teachers there wanted to see. I'm fine with stepping way out of my comfort zone to learn something new, but design at ACAD doesn't allow you a lot of time to really learn.

Just for a bit of background, if you're interested in doing design at ACAD, you have to take a general first year studies with some classes that cater to design (two design drawing classes, design fundamentals and colour theory). After you complete the pre-requisites, you can then apply separately to get into the design program itself. The work you use will mostly be from those aforementioned classes. Over three hundred people apply per year and only sixty get in. There are three streams of design you choose from (Graphic Design/Advertising, Photography, Character Design/Illustration) and that means you only have a one in twenty chance of getting in the design program. All the first year design classes were made with assignments that take up a lot of your time (half the time they were made to be hard for hards sake, to weed out those who won't do the work).

It's understandable, design is a business that requires the utmost professionalism. But I feel it's a bit much, because there are students who attend that are learning the concepts taught in the classes for the very first time, like myself. This leads to a problem where you end up having 5-6 things you're always working on at any given time. Deadlines are usually always the next week (and if you have an assignment that's two weeks, they make sure to give you more stuff you have to do in the process that you basically only have one week to do the actual project). They aren't really giving me much time to learn. I've just got time to do the assignments that are given. It's not fair. And you know what? They are probably aware of that and just don't given a poop. Because life isn't fair. They just want people who will come through this stuff successfully and they couldn't care less about those who don't make it.

I've passed all my classes (barely) and I have learned new things that I would say have sort of made the experience worth it. But I feel like I've just been working really hard and not getting much for it. I'm always pulling late nights on my assignments and I've spent the year out of my comfort zone and working on assignments that would become more of my teachers idea than mine by the end of it. I have friends in the fine arts department of the school who milk doing nothing, finishing their assignments the night before it's due and they get A grades. I've been getting C's and D's. In a few cases I got a B- (but I REALLY pulled all the stops for those ones).

If you were wondering what stream I was interested in it was character design. Because I've had previous experience with animation, and so I wanted to take character design for my animation work. But I think I'm just going to pursue animation. I'm sure design is worth it, but I don't believe I am fit for it. ACAD's design program is essentially setting you up for slave-like work at a company with a high demand of work output in a short period of time. I'm my own person, I need to do what I want and how I want to do it.

Well, I feel a little better getting that out.

[/rant]
"Time to earn our reputation!"
-Adam Sakuru

Flying Chickens

Quote from: AdamSakuru on April 15, 2013, 12:37:26 AM
Alberta College of Art and Design...Holy poop. I never thought college was going to be easy, and I went into ACAD well aware that it was going to challenge me; the design department has a reputation for throwing more at their students than pretty much any other art institution, they have a pretty high dropout rate. The students that do succeed have a chance of going on to do great things (specifically design students).

I've just finished my first year at ACAD. So upon seeing this topic, I sort of feel I need to vent a bit. So feel free to ignore if you don't want to see a bit of a rant;

The most challenging thing at in my first year of studies for design was learning. Anything. They should really advertise this more, but they have a certain expectation of how one should be drawing when you get to ACAD. In my case, I've done a lot of 'delusional' drawing. I like to draw cartoons and things I make up in my head. I've certainly drawn realism before, but not enough to incorporate it into my art practice in the way my teachers there wanted to see. I'm fine with stepping way out of my comfort zone to learn something new, but design at ACAD doesn't allow you a lot of time to really learn.

Just for a bit of background, if you're interested in doing design at ACAD, you have to take a general first year studies with some classes that cater to design (two design drawing classes, design fundamentals and colour theory). After you complete the pre-requisites, you can then apply separately to get into the design program itself. The work you use will mostly be from those aforementioned classes. Over three hundred people apply per year and only sixty get in. There are three streams of design you choose from (Graphic Design/Advertising, Photography, Character Design/Illustration) and that means you only have a one in twenty chance of getting in the design program. All the first year design classes were made with assignments that take up a lot of your time (half the time they were made to be hard for hards sake, to weed out those who won't do the work).

It's understandable, design is a business that requires the utmost professionalism. But I feel it's a bit much, because there are students who attend that are learning the concepts taught in the classes for the very first time, like myself. This leads to a problem where you end up having 5-6 things you're always working on at any given time. Deadlines are usually always the next week (and if you have an assignment that's two weeks, they make sure to give you more stuff you have to do in the process that you basically only have one week to do the actual project). They aren't really giving me much time to learn. I've just got time to do the assignments that are given. It's not fair. And you know what? They are probably aware of that and just don't given a poop. Because life isn't fair. They just want people who will come through this stuff successfully and they couldn't care less about those who don't make it.

I've passed all my classes (barely) and I have learned new things that I would say have sort of made the experience worth it. But I feel like I've just been working really hard and not getting much for it. I'm always pulling late nights on my assignments and I've spent the year out of my comfort zone and working on assignments that would become more of my teachers idea than mine by the end of it. I have friends in the fine arts department of the school who milk doing nothing, finishing their assignments the night before it's due and they get A grades. I've been getting C's and D's. In a few cases I got a B- (but I REALLY pulled all the stops for those ones).

If you were wondering what stream I was interested in it was character design. Because I've had previous experience with animation, and so I wanted to take character design for my animation work. But I think I'm just going to pursue animation. I'm sure design is worth it, but I don't believe I am fit for it. ACAD's design program is essentially setting you up for slave-like work at a company with a high demand of work output in a short period of time. I'm my own person, I need to do what I want and how I want to do it.

Well, I feel a little better getting that out.

[/rant]
Holy intercourse  this forum has twelve people on it, and yet here's another Calgarian.

AdamSakuru

Quote from: bearisslow on April 16, 2013, 01:01:28 AM
Holy intercourse  this forum has twelve people on it, and yet here's another Calgarian.

Wow, that's pretty nuts! I'm honestly inclined to ask you if you'd be up for hanging out? Haha.
"Time to earn our reputation!"
-Adam Sakuru

CoasterKid93

Finals are coming up in two weeks. Oh my intercourse ing God I'm going to die.

Britz

I've got 4 weeks until finals. It came up so fast I'm not ready at all ;-;

Mona

I have my finals and two essays due this week. @ @

Flying Chickens

CoasterKid93