News:

Our thoughts go to Silver and his family in this difficult time.

Main Menu

I'm getting better...

Started by Zora Link, January 03, 2008, 04:05:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nayrman

Quote from: Zora Link on January 03, 2008, 06:27:06 PM
Quote from: Dawei on January 03, 2008, 06:20:52 PM
Nayrman summed it up. The reason why items and stages such as those aren't in tournaments is because they are random. There isn't skill in random, because you can't predict what can happen.

And like you were saying of the comps getting hit by the tools, not a single person who actually enjoys playing smash will sit there like a comp. It won't help you in a real match, it'll make you worse. You won't be prepared for it if you play someone who has even half a brain.

Also, not playing poke floats and rainbow cruise, but playing flat zone? Holy s*** that new! Both of those stages are better training than FZ because you can predict down to the very last nanosecond when the things will appear.
The other tournament legal stages are (besides the neutral ones I listed, pokefloats, and Rainbow Cruise);
Corneria
Jungle Japes
Green Greens
The Metroid stage (not Brinstar Depths, the other one. Man I hate Brinstar Depths)
Mute City

As you can see, contrary to popular belief, tourney isn't all about "FYNAL DESTINYTIN OR DY NUB LAWLZ". Just play at those stages and you'll get the best you can be.
That's new? I hate the moving stages, that's all.
And I actually know the tools thing won't work against humans. :P
I guess were different. You like stages that take pure skill to win.
And maybe it's because I've haven't played another human for a really long time, But I also like to use the stage to my advantage. Brinstar Depths is one of the best examples of that.
I realize these skills won't help me against other humans, but to completely isolate myself from the courses I do best in? I think not.
I'd say more...but I GTG...dad got mad over nothing again and I need to get off before he blows his top.
The thing is you're trying to get better, and practicing on those stages isn't going to help in that regard. If you just want to have fun, sure stages like that are perfectly fine (no one ever said you had to be serious about this game), but that's just what you need to do if you want to get BETTER at it against people. It's like basketball to make things simpler. Sure, practicing free throws forever isn't as fun as chucking it half court to see if you CAN make it, but it'll make you better...
Hope that helps.

Dawei

You sound just like a friend of mine used to sound. When we first started Smash together, he would play at Big blue, Onett, stages like that. He would run. With stages like that, it is a lot easier to screw up, and harder to recover. I would beat him every time until we played at Big Blue, and I would lose because I would end up falling right through the cars. I just had to get him to start playing the "skill" stages more and he got used to them. Not he hates Big blue and Onett.

Once again, Nayrman sums it up wonderfully.

thunderhero4

Quote from: Dawei on January 03, 2008, 06:37:55 PM
You sound just like a friend of mine used to sound. When we first started Smash together, he would play at Big blue, Onett, stages like that. He would run. With stages like that, it is a lot easier to screw up, and harder to recover. I would beat him every time until we played at Big Blue, and I would lose because I would end up falling right through the cars. I just had to get him to start playing the "skill" stages more and he got used to them. Not he hates Big blue and Onett.

I loved to jump onto the road and right back off again to surprise my freinds...

I have a secret skill where I jump in front of a line of cars and jump off the road at the end for a surprise attack on my opponent...gets em every time :P

Nayrman

I actually like Big Blue every ONCE in a while (for fun purposes), just becaues it's impossible to do anything.
You do anything just for fun in this game or are you one of those serious people only? (nothing is wrong with the latter...just curious)

thunderhero4

Quote from: Nayrman on January 03, 2008, 06:43:03 PM

I actually like Big Blue every ONCE in a while (for fun purposes), just becaues it's impossible to do anything.
You do anything just for fun in this game or are you one of those serious people only? (nothing is wrong with the latter...just curious)
I wonder if sonic would run as fast as the road goes by? ::)

if the stage returns, I can find out! :)

Nayrman

Quote from: thunderhero4 on January 03, 2008, 06:47:40 PM

now THAT would be interesting (probably not tho...)

thunderhero4

Quote from: Nayrman on January 03, 2008, 06:49:30 PM

that would be AWESOME (it would give me a huge edge, I plan to main with him)

DededeCloneChris

I rather think no.

Because many fans complains about "More speed for Sonic please!" they then complains about "Is too fast, I always crash with anything!"

thunderhero4

Quote from: wiiboychris on January 03, 2008, 06:53:40 PM

I rather think no.

Because many fans complains about "More speed for Sonic please!" they then complains about "Is too fast, I always crash with anything!"
thats where practice comes in ::)

DededeCloneChris

Quote from: thunderhero4 on January 03, 2008, 06:54:46 PM

I rather think no.

That's where the free hospital ticket comes in ::)

But........the Bunny hood can make dreams come true.

Nayrman

Quote from: wiiboychris on January 03, 2008, 06:58:02 PM
Quote from: thunderhero4 on January 03, 2008, 06:54:46 PM

I rather think no.

That's where the free hospital ticket comes in ::)

But........the Bunny hood can make dreams come true.
Sonci with bunny hood JUST might be able to run on it. That'd be kinda cool to see. But then again that'd make Sonic the instant winner on that stagae, sisnce he could just run on the track forever where no one could touch him.

Dawei

I don't see how people think that if you play the game seriously, you can't have fun. Out of my 4 smash friends, 1 is kind of casual so when we play with him we have to do some slightly off stages, and occasionally with items. We even have some "How Sakurai originally intended it to be played" days where we just play with items on medium and standard stock. I saw my friend L-canceling once and I exclaimed "That is NOT what Sakurai intended".

It's just when someone wants to show off something new they've learned, or see if they are better than someone else, playing with items and the banned stages is hypocrisy.

Nayrman

Quote from: Dawei on January 03, 2008, 07:00:29 PM

I don't see how people think that if you play the game seriously, you can't have fun. Out of my 4 smash friends, 1 is kind of casual so when we play with him we have to do some slightly off stages, and occasionally with items. We even have some "How Sakurai originally intended it to be played" days where we just play with items on medium and standard stock. I saw my friend L-canceling once and I exclaimed "That is NOT what Sakurai intended".

It's just when someone wants to show off something new they've learned, or see if they are better than someone else, playing with items and the banned stages is hypocrisy.
Thats true. I love turning on all explosive items only and seeing how that works out. Items are actually the most fun thing when I'm messing around with it.
Too bad I knew a few too many people who take it too seriously...

Dawei

Quote from: Nayrman on January 03, 2008, 07:02:15 PM

Thats true. I love turning on all explosive items only and seeing how that works out. Items are actually the most fun thing when I'm messing around with it.
Me and my friends will sometimes have damage ratio 2.0 lighting melee with bomb ombs on very high at big blue or pokeballs very high on Pokemon stadium when we are bored as intercourse . I'd just rather play a tournament style match than a "casual" style one.

Apollo

Quote from: Dawei on January 03, 2008, 07:06:07 PM
Quote from: Nayrman on January 03, 2008, 07:02:15 PM

Me and my friends will sometimes have damage ratio 2.0 lighting melee with bomb ombs on very high at big blue or pokeballs very high on Pokemon stadium when we are bored as f***. I'd just rather play a tournament style match than a "casual" style one.
me too. once youve played evrey inch of the game you learn to love tournaments.
thats my favorite thing to play.
we get a bunch of people together and we each get to pick two characters to enter a 64 person tourney.