News:

Change is coming. HOPE CHANGE UNITY

Main Menu

~The Kong Are Back~ Diddy Kong Racing DS Review

Started by Cyberman6, September 27, 2007, 05:54:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyberman6

Story

While Timber and the rest of his friends were on the island called Timber Island, the evil pig called Wizpig has approached them and brought them total chaos to Timber's island. When Wizpig has tripped over a log, Timber and his friends has sought out to write a letter to the Kongs asking for help. When Diddy Kong has received the letter he quickly wrote back to Timber and his friends that they were coming to help them. So Diddy Kong, Tiny Kong, along with Dixie Kong ran to Timber and friends as fast as they can. While being that Krunch the Kremling saw the three Kongs running. So Krunch decided to join up with them as well. As they have all met up, they new that they were up for another battle with Wizpig.

Gameplay

There are several different modes of game play within this game that are you are able to choose while you have this game.

Adventure

As you first reach the island you get to meet a familiar face, an elephant called Taj. Taj is your guide through your game of Diddy Kong Racing DS. He gives you many challenges that you will need to complete in order to receive the golden balloon. Golden balloon are what help you throughout this game to achieve and explore different areas. As you achieve through different area's you get the ability to use different vehicles called the Car, Hovercraft, and the Plane. These three vehicles will help you reach different area in adventure.

At the start of the race you will need to either use the stylus or the mic as your starting boost. When you are using the car you will need to use the stylus in a downward motion on the touch screen. With the hovercraft you will need to blow into the mic. The more air you blow into the mic, the more boosts you will receive at the starting line. And for the plane you will need to move the stylus in a circular motion.

After you have beaten all of the races in the area, your job will to beat the boss of that area. Once you have beaten the boss in that area, you will be able to play the new mode called touch balloon challenge. The main objective is to pop the amount of balloons required to defeat the challenge. While you're on your job to pop the balloons, there are also coins that you can collect by using the stylus to buy tracks, modes, characters, and many more stuff that you are able to unlock. After you have completed the touch balloon challenge, you can race the boss of that area once more to receive a prize.

Single race

This is the mode where you can play a single race with the computers. While you are selecting the customs that are ready to start the race, you can use the tracks, upgrades, and characters that you have brought in adventure mode to play with them in single race. The computers do not have upgrades available on their car, but aside from that it enables you to use it during races to give you the advantage.

Time Trial

While in time trial mode, you can race against your own times, or by T.T times. In each track you will not be able to use items by the only thing available being zippers that give you a short boost. If you have not purchased the tracks that you are able to unlock in adventure mode, you will not be able to play them in time trail mode.

Wish mode

This is the new mode that is added into Diddy Kong Racing that enables you to make your own tracks and race with them by yourself or with a friend. Track making is controlled by the stylus with only a shorten amount of line to make the track. When your track is done you are able to save it on your game card to race with it later. Or you can race with your own track that you have made over Nintendo Wifi Connection.

Trophy race

This is a mode where you can pick up to four regions to play with your friends, with four races within each of them. Each track will go in order depending on which region you decide to play on. The person who gets the most points within the trophy race will win the trophy.

Battle

In this mode you can play up to four tracks to duke it out with four opponents. With all of the available items that are in races, it makes it challenging and fun.

Music

The music along with the new characters voices have been played out very well. With each track having a different tune making the game more exciting. With Rare, they haven't mess up at all in this department of the game. With the voice in Diddy Kong Racing has improved a lot. But as well as some changes with different characters voices.

Graphics

The graphics have improved from the first version of Diddy Kong Racing to the ds version. I find the graphics pretty elevating in this game. With the 2D graphics to the 3D graphics, it has made this game a pretty nice game to looking at.

Controls

These controls in this game are quite simple. You would use the A button to accelerate. The B button for braking. The R button to drift during your races. The L button being to let you use items. These are the simple controls that are needed to begin your race at the starting line. As being some vehicles being harder then others, it will take some time to master all of the vehicles.

Wi-Fi

Diddy Kong Racing's WiFi is a new addition that has brought this to a new level of gameplay. With WiFi, you can test out your new upgrades around the world with different people. Playing your friends on WiFi is also another great addition in the WiFi mode. You can play with up to five modes with up to 6 people. As there is no voice chat, you will also be able to see your friends online, when they host, or when they are matchmaking with other people around the world. If the host of the game has left the race or disconnect from the game, the game will be ended and you will be brought back to the matchmaking screen on WiFi.

Final rating

Story: 8.5/10- I found that the story mode was great, but could of added more features during the whole game play during it.

Music: 9/10- With the upgraded music and with the upgraded voice's, this has may the music in this game fantastic.

Graphics: 8/10- I think that the graphics could have been better them it is now, but they have improved from the Nintendo 64 version by a lot.

Controls: 9.5/10- They were very simple for the beginning of the game play.

Final Rating: 8.8/10

This is my first review. So if you find any mistakes, error, or suggestions feel free to post it.

ERRORCODE

I'm not an expert on reviews at all, but I looked through your review and looks really good. It certainly has enough length to it to give the reader an idea whether or not it would appeal to them or not.

That was a very nice review. :D I find it hard to believe it's your first. :O

Macawmoses

Here is what I have to say, this will be short and sweet btw:

~Overall it was a good review, so keep it up!

~ I found many of the sections to be a little short, my next point will help with that though.

~Add OPINION. Opinion is the foundation of a review, and yours was droning to me, ok? If you add some in it will make it enjoyable to read, and add crucial details indirectly.

~Grammar and the like was spot on. THere were mistakes here and there but hey, it doesnt REALLY matter.

~Pictures are wonderful things, if you know how to use them. At the top there was a nice amount of pics, but then you just stopped. It wrecked the balance in my opinion.

-----------------------------------------------
Overall ( as I said ) it was great. I look forward to your next review :D

~MoM~