News:

<+Clu> im 100% nigga

Main Menu

Alice in Wonderland

Started by Java, March 08, 2010, 03:26:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Java

Alice in Wonderland, the widely-popular Tim Burton/Disney movie, came out this past weekend.
Going by my own personal observations, it looks like Alice in Wonderland will be a success in the box office. However, does the movie live up to expectations?

Personally, I would say no.
Although it was aesthetically pleasing, I didn't find much else that I liked about the movie.
I will say that it did have its moments, but they were quickly followed by terribly awkward moments, such as "I LIKE LARGENESS!" or the Mad Hatter's GOD-AWFUL dance.
Unfortunately, I set my expectations too high for the movie and I was sadly disappointed.

So, have you seen Alice in Wonderland?
If so, what did you think of it?
If not, do you plan on seeing it?

ThePowerOfOne

I saw it yesterday, I thought is was great. I wasn't disappointed at all, it was weird, funny, and just what I was expecting.

Mabe you just need to get a sense of humor and lighten up a little, mabe then you'll find it more appealing.

Java

Quote from: Phaze on March 08, 2010, 04:26:06 PM
I saw it yesterday, I thought is was great. I wasn't disappointed at all, it was weird, funny, and just what I was expecting.

Mabe you just need to get a sense of humor and lighten up a little, mabe then you'll find it more appealing.
Key words: "Just what I was expecting"
I, on the other hand, did not feel the same way. It was NOT what I was expecting, which is probably why I didn't enjoy it as much.

Just because I didn't enjoy Alice in Wonderland doesn't mean I don't have a sense of humor...
I'm not a very serious person, but I just didn't like what I saw.
Believe me, I found the "I like largeness" quote hysterical, but for all the wrong reasons. The dance, however, just didn't suit the scene at all...

Silverhawk79

Quote from: Java on March 08, 2010, 04:46:47 PM
Key words: "Just what I was expecting"
I, on the other hand, did not feel the same way. It was NOT what I was expecting, which is probably why I didn't enjoy it as much.

Just because I didn't enjoy Alice in Wonderland doesn't mean I don't have a sense of humor...
I'm not a very serious person, but I just didn't like what I saw.
Believe me, I found the "I like largeness" quote hysterical, but for all the wrong reasons. The dance, however, just didn't suit the scene at all...
The dance was pretty stupid, but you knew it was going to come up since they kept mentioning it.

Java

Quote from: Silverhawk79 on March 08, 2010, 06:01:16 PM
The dance was pretty stupid, but you knew it was going to come up since they kept mentioning it.
I didn't care about the dance occurring, just the manner in which it occurred and when it occurred. It was just placed at such an awkward time in the scene...

Custom

There goes a good Disney film.

Am I right?

Quote from: Viewtifulboy on March 11, 2013, 07:28:20 AM
Good job! I, Viewtifulboy, declare you the CHAMPION!

I'm the official winner of the Viewtiful Victory roleplay championship!

Chrona

It was a sequel.

They should not have named it Alice in Wonderland.

Kingmush

I saw it. Came in with really low expectations and found it semi enjoyable, mostly because I had such low expectations. But I agree, that dance scene has got to be one of the worst scenes ever...so awkwardly timed and just so awful.

Dog Food

Quote from: Chrona on March 08, 2010, 07:18:00 PM
It was a sequel.

They should not have named it Alice in Wonderland.
This is the first post I've seen of yours that was not accompanied by two dots on either end of your sentences. I almost didn't recognize you.

Also, I saw it the night it was released. It was pretty good. The Mad Hatter reminded me a little too much of Jack Sparrow, and yes the dance was weird (basically, I liked all the characters but him). But I did enjoy the ending, Tim Burton made it more touching than the book endings.
I get obsessively manic over things. It's a problem.

Macawmoses

The only part I liked were the subtle allusions to the book. Some very subtle ones indeed. Also I like Disney's traditional Cheschire Cat better :(

SkyMyl

My brother is probably going to drag me along to see it with him, knowing him.

Java

Quote from: mackormoses on March 09, 2010, 04:14:04 PM
The only part I liked were the subtle allusions to the book. Some very subtle ones indeed. Also I like Disney's traditional Cheschire Cat better :(
Care to mention any of them? I've never read the book, so it'd be interesting to hear a few.

Friendly Hostile

Went in with low expectations for it.  And they were on the dot this time.

The movie certainly wasn't horrid, and I've seen worse.  But it wasn't good either.  It had it's funny and enjoyable moments (the beheading scene comes to mind), but I simply wasn't impressed.  I had to see it in 3D and it absolutely was not worth it.

If you're going to see the movie, just wait for it to come out on DVD and rent it or pirate it.  Not worth paying full money for.

Macawmoses

Quote from: Java on March 09, 2010, 07:21:18 PM
Care to mention any of them? I've never read the book, so it'd be interesting to hear a few.
The big one is the reference to the riddle about the raven. It was originally written to not have an actual answer - which ties in well near the end.

Dog Food

Quote from: mackormoses on March 11, 2010, 01:44:52 AM
The big one is the reference to the riddle about the raven. It was originally written to not have an actual answer - which ties in well near the end.
Although that was a nice treat, it was slightly unsatisfying that it was the only joke that he would use. As far as I remember, it was really the only riddle that he ever asked Alice.

Another reference is when Alice said, "Curioser and curiouser" when she first entered Wonderland. And I think she made a comment about never seeing a grin without a cat when she met the Cheshire Cat, like in the book. If not that, I remember them mentioning something about a cat and his smile.
I get obsessively manic over things. It's a problem.