News:

Our thoughts go to Silver and his family in this difficult time.

Main Menu

New Pokemon (as in game and species) coming!

Started by Macawmoses, January 29, 2010, 12:18:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JrDude

[move][/move]
Dude .

Mutilator7

I was fine with new pokemon until they made new evolutions of the original 150. There are some pokemon that just shouldn't evolve and they make dumb new pokemon.

Mystic

Quote from: Mutilator<Seven> on February 15, 2010, 07:47:26 AM
I was fine with new pokemon until they made new evolutions of the original 150. There are some pokemon that just shouldn't evolve and they make dumb new pokemon.
As if all the gen 1 Pokemon were WOAHMYGOD COOL

Zero

Quote from: Michael Myers on February 15, 2010, 08:51:39 AM
As if all the gen 1 Pokemon were WOAHMYGOD COOL

Was this Pokemon necessary? I think his point wasn't that the past gen pokemon were better, it was that some of their evolutions are downright retarded. So retarded in fact you FEEL retarded for looking at them. Lickilicky is really the only example I personally feel that way about, but I've heard comments about Magmortar, Probopass, and Electivire.

Mystic

Electivire. And Lickilicky is just as stupid as Lickitung is -_-

Macawmoses

I fully agree with Lickilily. What a intercourse ing stupid evolution. Electrivire seemed natural to me.

Kayo

Quote from: Michael Myers on February 14, 2010, 09:15:57 AM
They always do.
Correction: any GOOD new evo's. last gen's weren't all good.. some of them just looked funny, and some were unneeded
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

Neerb

The reason they keep making new evos is that, quite frankly, Gen 1 sucked competitive wise. Almost every single new Gen is stronger than the last stat wise, and Gen 1 is getting to the point where almost everyone is totally useless. As such, new evos allow people who liked concepts of certain old Gen pokemon to be able to use their lines in battle without losing within the first two minutes. Crobat, Lickilicky, Electivire, Magmortar, and Tangrowth are all prime examples of useful upgrades to formerly-useful-but-now-useless pokemon.

JrDude

Tangrowth and Lickilicky are the only ones I hate, the rest I'm fine with.
[move][/move]
Dude .

Wedge

Quote from: SmashBro25 on February 15, 2010, 05:11:19 PM
The reason they keep making new evos is that, quite frankly, Gen 1 sucked competitive wise. Almost every single new Gen is stronger than the last stat wise, and Gen 1 is getting to the point where almost everyone is totally useless. As such, new evos allow people who liked concepts of certain old Gen pokemon to be able to use their lines in battle without losing within the first two minutes. Crobat, Lickilicky, Electivire, Magmortar, and Tangrowth are all prime examples of useful upgrades to formerly-useful-but-now-useless pokemon.

Hi. Are you an?

How did Gen 1 suck competitively? If you look at it, it's the fastest metagame to have ever existed, even faster than 4th gen Ubers. You had powerhouses scrambling to hit each other with paralysis first and sweeping with ridiculous stats and OP moves like Psychic, only to get blocked by a Golem or Chansey, paralyzed, and swept by the other team. That's not 'suck'. That's archaic Pokemon. Lightning fast heavy offense. The game has evolved quite a bit from that time, but that is still the essence of the game.

Every single gen is stronger than the last stat-wise? What do you mean there? Are you saying that each new generation has undermined the viability of the previous one due to newer Pokemon being superior statistically? I find that to be hard to believe. Each generation has its gems and each generation has its failures. There are still a large amount of Pokemon in 1st Gen that are competent. Arcanine, Venusaur, Nidoking, and Kabutops are all supremely powerful Pokemon in UU. Gengar is one of the most unpredictable Pokemon in Standard. Zapdos's unique combination of types combined with its great stats makes it a featured Pokemon on many competitive teams. Starmie remains the best spinner in existence. Jolteon is a formidable special sweeper while Tentacruel has got a myriad of utility options. And then there's Gyarados, possibly the most frightening sweeper in the entire OU Metagame.  How can you say that newer generations eclipse previous ones when there is a balance between all of them?

"Crobat, Lickilicky, Electivire, Magmortar, and Tangrowth are all prime examples of useful upgrades to formerly-useful-but-now-useless pokemon"

Crobat is useless? Lickitung used to be useful? I think not. Crobat is useful in both OU where it functions well as a lead and sweeper and Ubers where it pummels opposing Pokemon with STAB Brave Birds. Golbat was never useful. It was a mediocre Pokemon in 1st gen, just like Lickitung and Tangela. Your statement actually contradicts your argument because you are saying(?) here that newer evos have made the old Pokemon worse when the rest of your paragraph says that newer Pokemon supplant older ones.

Cornwad

You guys are crazy, Tangrowth is the best. Did anyone even like Tangela?

JrDude

Quote from: Aquaman on February 15, 2010, 06:18:30 PM
Tangrowth looks retarded, I liked the way Tangela looked.
[move][/move]
Dude .

Kayo

Wedge, if you notice, most 1st gen pokemon don't even have a base stat above 120. Maybe even 110. Even fearsome looking pokemon like Nidoking were weak statwise. As generations advanced, pokemon had the power to match their appearance (with a few exceptions, of course) and are generally used more competitively then 1st gen.

Looking at it, the only 1st gen pokemon that I'd use in battle are pretty much Snorlax, Aerodactyl, Starmie, Gyarados, the Eeveelutions and the legendary birds. The rest just don't have as much power as you'd expect. Look at Wigglytuff. It already evolved once (not counting Igglybuff) and it's still not much tougher than an un-evolved gen 4 pokemon.

There is Tentacruel, also. But newer generations have much more. Yes, Gyarados was from the 1st gen, and so have some my favorites (including Starmie). but after you get past those few viable 1st gen pokemon, there's nothing left. In the later gens, especially 4th, i can see myself using nearly every pokemon there in at least UU. (ignoring early-game bugs like Kricketune, they were never of much use) and if you look at the generations as a whole, first was generally the worst. Did you ever wonder why the majority of the new evos we got last gen were from 1st generation pokemon? Do you wonder why?

Down to one of those pokemon you mentioned. Golbat. It had potential, but not power. As in, it was crying out for a new evo. Crobat. It's one of the fastest pokemon out there, and it is the fastest Hypnosis user in the game. Combine that with a respectable Attack stat, good HP, and STAB Brave Bird and you have a pretty powerful addition to any team.

Quote from: Aquaman on February 15, 2010, 06:18:30 PM
Quote from: JrDude ♦ on February 15, 2010, 06:20:07 PM
I like Tangrowth. Could use a better Sp. Def though, but look at the way it looks. Strange, but what else could a Tangela evo look like. I like its size. It's like a MONSTER! :D

Quote from: Michael Myers on February 14, 2010, 09:15:57 AM
They always do.
I'd like to point out that the 3rd generation was quite lacking of new evolutions.
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

Cornwad

Quote from: JrDude ♦ on February 15, 2010, 06:20:07 PM
Well a pile of vines with eyes is going to look pretty retarded no matter how you go about it.

They're pretty much the same thing, but Tangrowth is more massive with arms. It seems more retarded because Tangela is a classic. Also, it is actually useful.

JrDude

I liked Tangela because I thought of it as a monster hiding in the vines, but now it looks like the blackness isn't darkness, but a face...
[move][/move]
Dude .