News:

ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL.

Main Menu

A random note about Pokeball names and Contest ranks

Started by bluaki, May 07, 2009, 06:19:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluaki

In every single pokemon game to date, the Japanese and English games have two different names for many of the pokeballs. For no apparent reason. The Japanese pokeball names are pronounced to sound like an English word even in the Japanese games. The most notable pokeballs' names are:
Pokeball: Monster Ball
Great Ball: Super Ball
Ultra Ball: Hyper Ball
Master Ball: Master Ball

In Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald, the Pokemon Contests have four ranks: Normal, Super, Hyper, and Master. It's an obvious reference to the pokeball names to the Japanese players, but the translators didn't notice and instead directly translated the names.

In Diamond/Pearl, for the "Super Contests" (which, by the way, I like much less than the original Pokemon Contests), the translators noticed this reference and changed the ranks to Normal, Great, Ultra, and Master. Which causes the rank names to change for English players between the two generations. When a 3rd gen contest participator is imported into D/P, the description of the ribbons change to the new name of course because the 3rd and 4th gen contest ribbons share the same data.

JrDude

[move][/move]
Dude .

jnfs2014

bluaki

Oh, and something else to note is Super Potion and Hyper Potion, which follow the same naming. Yet the best potion is Max instead of Master.

Macawmoses

bluaki

Quote from: Macbeth on May 09, 2009, 02:18:07 PM
Interesting. I never would have caught this :\
Well, that's kinda expected for anyone who hasn't played or read significantly about any of the Japanese language versions of the main Pokemon games.
The pokeball names was one of the first things I noticed when playing the Japanese version of Pokemon Diamond. But I just recently noticed the contest names.

JrDude

Does the Japanese version use letters? or do they use Japanese symbols?
[move][/move]
Dude .

SHRIMPKID

Quote from: Bluaki on May 07, 2009, 08:03:27 PM
Oh, and something else to note is Super Potion and Hyper Potion, which follow the same naming. Yet the best potion is Max instead of Master.
Master Potion...that sounds funny. :3

chaosgear

they need a great potion or ultra potion or something. it ticks me off when my pokemon have about 100 hp and i have to choose between the 50 hp super potion or the 200 hp hyper potion. the super potion doesnt heal enough, and 2+ potions per pokemon seem like a waste, but using half a hyper potion feels like a big waste as well. they need to make a potion that does 100 hp or something.

Friendly Hostile

Quote from: chaosgear on May 12, 2009, 03:05:35 PM
they need a great potion or ultra potion or something. it ticks me off when my pokemon have about 100 hp and i have to choose between the 50 hp super potion or the 200 hp hyper potion. the super potion doesnt heal enough, and 2+ potions per pokemon seem like a waste, but using half a hyper potion feels like a big waste as well. they need to make a potion that does 100 hp or something.
Buy Soda and Lemonades.   They recover more than the Super Potions and are cheaper.

JrDude

It's called Milk, though only available in one place in D/P/Pt.
[move][/move]
Dude .