UH SOMETHING BROKE HANG ON

Main Menu

NSiderForums.net Last.fm Group

Started by Friendly Hostile, November 24, 2007, 12:16:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Friendly Hostile

Is now open thanks to Riosan.

LINK

Also a quick and watered-down explanation as to what Last.fm is for those who do not know.

Last.fm is a vast network that accumulates information on what it's members listen to through what they scrobble (to be explained later).
It is also an excellent source for information about a band/group/artist.  Often there will even be samples of artists' songs available to listen to  in order to help you decide if you like them, as well as a biography on the group, comments and reviews of listeners.  Also, because of scrobbling, you can see how popular a band is within the Last.fm community.  The entire site is completely free, and you don't even need to download the scrobbling software to use it.

Now for scrobbling.  Scrobbling is sending information from your media player to Last.fm to broadcast what you are currently listening to.  This information is then used to generate statistics as to what you listen to the most, as well as a few other statistics.  It also will allow you to see how compatible your tastes are in comaprison to others using Last.fm.  In order to use the software, all you need to do is download it from the site.  Instillation is simple, just follow the step by step instructions.  It will install the necessary plugins for most media players, but if you aren't sure, check out if your media player is compatible with scrobbling on the site you got it from.

Last.fm is also where you can get the lists that appear in my signature (as well as several other users here) that show what you've recently listened to.  They can be used in variety of places and are not solely limited to recently scrobbled tracks.  You can also list top tracks, artists, albums and more.

I think that covers it all in a nutshell.

Rius

Friendly Hostile

Quote from: NINNIN6 on November 24, 2007, 12:22:20 AM
Um, wha? WTH's a gorup?
I need to stop trying to type and look at the TV at the same time.

TheKoopaBros.

Sure, but what exactly do you mean by "group"?

not famy

Quote from: TheKoopaBros. on November 24, 2007, 12:23:39 AM
A group. On Last.fm.

I guess I'd join.

Friendly Hostile

Quote from: TheKoopaBros. on November 24, 2007, 12:23:39 AM
Someone would create a "group" which takes the scrobbles of all the group members and creates statistics for the group.  However it needs at least 10 member to start creating charts IIRC.

Rius

Oh. I would, but my music preferences are a bit odd, so I'll just let the normal users do, methinks. :D

Friendly Hostile

Quote from: NINNIN6 on November 24, 2007, 12:34:56 AM
Oh. I would, but my music preferences are a bit odd, so I'll just let the normal users do, methinks. :D
My tastes aren't exactly "normal" either.  I'd still want to join one.

Rius

Quote from: Friendly Hostile on November 24, 2007, 12:36:01 AM
All my music stems from Pokemon shows, video games, or 1900's chamber music. Nothing common really. The only exception is Fall Out Boy, and that's a bit meh.

Friendly Hostile

Quote from: NINNIN6 on November 24, 2007, 12:38:41 AM
All my music stems from Pokemon shows, video games, or 1900's chamber music. Nothing common really. The only exception is Fall Out Boy, and that's a bit meh.
Eh, shouldn't stop you from joining.

Rius

Quote from: Friendly Hostile on November 24, 2007, 12:39:50 AM
Quote from: NINNIN6 on November 24, 2007, 12:38:41 AM
Eh, shouldn't stop you from joining.
Meh. Sure.

TheKoopaBros.

I wouldn't mind a group on last.fm, then. My music choices aren't too typical either. :P

Friendly Hostile

Quote from: TheKoopaBros. on November 24, 2007, 12:59:47 AM
I wouldn't mind a group on last.fm, then. My music choices aren't too typical either. :P
We still need more people.

TheKoopaBros.

Quote from: Friendly Hostile on November 24, 2007, 01:03:46 AM

It might be a good idea to bump this tomorrow. I don't think many others will be up this late.

Rius

Quote from: TheKoopaBros. on November 24, 2007, 01:05:41 AM
Quote from: Friendly Hostile on November 24, 2007, 01:03:46 AM

It might be a good idea to bump this tomorrow. I don't think many others will be up this late.
This place gets so slow at night. I usually find myself being the only one online at night. D: