Previous topic - Next topic

DededeCloneChris

Quote from: BOREDDEVILBOY on November 15, 2011, 05:47:01 PM
I like how you guys talk smack about MW2 and 3 being similar

And you buy Pokemon and discuss the living poop out of it

When it really only has minor changes game to game

Yes they are similar

That doesn't mean the games aren't fun as hell

At least I never purchased two versions of the same game because one had ten different characters in it

I BETTER GET BLACK TOO SO I CAN GETZ THE OTHER LEGENDARY OLOLOL

Hypocrites.
To be fair, Pokemon does bring tons of new things each generation (Pokemon, items, attacks, abilities, lots of Pokedex data, etc). And if you want to take it to the next level, the main franchise gets updated almost every four to six years.

Zero

I haven't liked Call of Duty since CoD2, probably because multiplayer that focuses on killstreak bonuses has a nasty side effect of encouraging camping(trying to argue this is like trying to disprove gravity, j/s). People want to keep their streaks, so they just chill in a intercourse ing corner. It's what it is.

I 100%'d MW and almost did the same to MW2. I really tried to get into these games, but the multiplayer just plain killed it.

It's a legit strat and all that but the realism(lol 1-2 shots i'm dead) adds to the pooptiness. You feel powerless. In Halo, I can fight back if someone starts shooting me. Can't do the same in CoD.

@Chris:

Each generation also switches up the mechanics a bit.

If I ever did get MW3, it'd be for the campaign and Spec Ops.

Kayo

Quote from: BOREDDEVILBOY on November 15, 2011, 05:47:01 PM
I like how you guys talk smack about MW2 and 3 being similar

And you buy Pokemon and discuss the living poop out of it

When it really only has minor changes game to game

Yes they are similar

That doesn't mean the games aren't fun as hell

At least I never purchased two versions of the same game because one had ten different characters in it

I BETTER GET BLACK TOO SO I CAN GETZ THE OTHER LEGENDARY OLOLOL

Hypocrites.
Actually, you got it backwards. It's more like people talk smack about Pokemon being similar...

...yet they freak out when a new CoD comes out. Seriously, Pokémon fans don't raid the game stores the second they open then take the whole day off to stay home and play their game. That really amazes me, how they can get a game that's essentially an expansion of the last game they had and play it like it's the coolest new thing in the world.

Not every fan purchases both Pokémon games; I never have. Only instance where I have the two parallel versions is in FireRed and LeafGreen, but that's just because one was given to me years after I bought the other one. And to challenge your point slightly (even though I still don't fully agree on getting both versions at once), they're starting to add even more changes between the versions than just the "characters" in it. Who knows how that will turn out should they make a 6th generation.

Plus, there's a greater change between Pokemon games (going by generation) than between CoD games. Just look at the time between releases, CoD has a new game what, every year? Pokemon has a new game every 4 years, not counting the rehashes and remakes. 

CoD seems like the kind of series where you'd keep taking your game back to the store and trading it in for the newer one with a discount.

So in reality, it's the CoD fans who are hypocritical. Especially with the amount of time some of them spend on the game per day. It's insane.
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

Zero

Custom

i put pokemon with cod and madden
i don't give a intercourse
also kayo has a ranging hard on for pokemon and will never realize any of the flaws that it has because he's a derp

Quote from: Viewtifulboy on March 11, 2013, 07:28:20 AM
Good job! I, Viewtifulboy, declare you the CHAMPION!

I'm the official winner of the Viewtiful Victory roleplay championship!

Kayo

Quote from: Custom on November 15, 2011, 06:59:22 PM
also kayo has a ranging hard on for pokemon and will never realize any of the flaws that it has because he's a derp
It has numerous flaws

So does CoD

Your point?
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

DededeCloneChris

Quote from: Custom on November 15, 2011, 06:59:22 PM
You like Scrafty.

BOREDFOREVER

Quote from: Kayghost on November 15, 2011, 06:23:46 PM
Seriously, Pokémon fans don't raid the game stores the second they open then take the whole day off to stay home and play their game. That really amazes me, how they can get a game that's essentially an expansion of the last game they had and play it like it's the coolest new thing in the world.

We can do that because we have jobs and money.  Some take the day off work, and we will purchase our game as soon as we'd like, with money from said jobs.

Pokemon fans have to wait for their mom and dad to get it for them for Christmas or their birthday, or for mom and dad to take them to the store to spend their allowance/ trade-in credit.  And they're usually not allowed to stay home from school for a video game, because yes attendance counts in sixth grade young man.

[/quote]
It's the CoD fans who are hypocritical. Especially with the amount of time some of them spend on the game per day. It's insane.
[/quote]
Woah there.  I haven't seen any CoD fans cracking on Pokemon.  I'm not even cracking on Pokemon, I'm drawing parallels between that game series you want to crack on and the one you have a hard on for.  But I've seen this poop talking on MW all over the place over the last few weeks. 

And there are major changes from game to game.  MW1 was (of course) modern, WaW was WWII, Black Ops was Vietnam.  Yes, MW2 and 3 use the same period settings; they're direct sequels.  Pokemon games are "Let's move over here to this nearly identical landmass that we'll rename."  Oh yeah, and all the new things Pokemon adds.  This time berries!  Maybe a bike or a surfboard or some poop!  CoD adds new weapons, play modes, characters, and settings.

And let's not even talk about story.

And here's the thing:  I don't even dislike Pokemon.  I've played through two of them- I've been the best like no one ever was.  I'm just saying that some of the poop talking on MW isn't just "I can't get into it/ I don't like it."  That's fine, that's a taste issue.  But when people start trying to point out all kinds of epic flaws, they really need to look at the series that they love and evaluate what similarities there are instead of just going    MW2.5 AMIRITE GUIZE AM I COOL COUNTERCULTURE YET

Quote from: Nightmare Zero on November 15, 2011, 06:16:51 PM
I haven't liked Call of Duty since CoD2, probably because multiplayer that focuses on killstreak bonuses has a nasty side effect of encouraging camping(trying to argue this is like trying to disprove gravity, j/s). People want to keep their streaks, so they just chill in a intercourse ing corner. It's what it is.

I 100%'d MW and almost did the same to MW2. I really tried to get into these games, but the multiplayer just plain killed it.

It's a legit strat and all that but the realism(lol 1-2 shots i'm dead) adds to the pooptiness. You feel powerless. In Halo, I can fight back if someone starts shooting me. Can't do the same in CoD.

@Chris:

Each generation also switches up the mechanics a bit.

If I ever did get MW3, it'd be for the campaign and Spec Ops.

Campaign in this game is pretty great.  There's [spoiler] a gun fight on a plane as it's going down, so you're  bouncing around and hitting the ceiling.  It's reminiscent of Inception, whom they obviously stole the idea from.  They have a few really great set pieces like that, and some great popcorn moments.[/spoiler]

And yeah, Spec Ops is pretty fun this time around as well.

I won't argue about killstreaks and camping.  What they did to help balance things out is add support streaks, which is based of how many kills you get despite how many deaths you've had.  Kill Confirmed helps with that as well.  When you shoot someone, you have to run over them and collect their dog tags to get the kill.

There's also a deathstreak called "Revenge," which shows exactly where the last person who killed you is.  Things like that help discourage camping.  As for the "realism," I can see where you're coming from.  If someone gets behind you, you're pretty much done.  You can always tell the people who play Halo who have picked up CoD: they're the ones jumping all over the place.

Kayo

Quote from: BOREDDEVILBOY on November 15, 2011, 08:14:29 PM
We can do that because we have jobs and money.  Some take the day off work, and we will purchase our game as soon as we'd like, with money from said jobs.

Pokemon fans have to wait for their mom and dad to get it for them for Christmas or their birthday, or for mom and dad to take them to the store to spend their allowance/ trade-in credit.  And they're usually not allowed to stay home from school for a video game, because yes attendance counts in sixth grade young man.
You apparently haven't noticed the insanely high amount of elementary and middle school kids who prefer CoD over any other game. Seriously, open your eyes. There are a TON of them. You're making a generalization that Pokemon fans are just a few years out of toilet training while CoD fans are corporate business man. Try again.

QuoteWoah there.  I haven't seen any CoD fans cracking on Pokemon.  I'm not even cracking on Pokemon, I'm drawing parallels between that game series you want to crack on and the one you have a hard on for.  But I've seen this poop talking on MW all over the place over the last few weeks. 
Again, open your eyes. I see it all the time. CoD fans say Pokemon is too repetitive. It's everywhere, and if you haven't seen it, that's not my fault. Maybe the gamers around you are different than the ones in my area, but I doubt that's the case. There's poop talking on Pokemon everywhere. It's on every game, and you just don't see it because you agree with the CoD fans. Okay.

QuoteAnd there are major changes from game to game.  MW1 was (of course) modern, WaW was WWII, Black Ops was Vietnam.  Yes, MW2 and 3 use the same period settings; they're direct sequels.  Pokemon games are "Let's move over here to this nearly identical landmass that we'll rename."  Oh yeah, and all the new things Pokemon adds.  This time berries!  Maybe a bike or a surfboard or some poop!  CoD adds new weapons, play modes, characters, and settings.
Different wars. Different regions. New characters. New Pokémon. New weapons. New attacks and abilities. You're seriously making a blatant double standard here and you have absolutely no basis. They're both the same basic idea of "Catch/kill 'em all!"

I seriously CANNOT see WHAT your basis of argument in that last paragraph was, since you proved nothing at all that you were trying to prove. Not to even mention Pokemon Black/White are set in a totally different country than the previous games. They both do the EXACT SAME FUCKING THING.

QuoteAnd let's not even talk about story.
Catch 'em all. Kill 'em all.

QuoteAnd here's the thing:  I don't even dislike Pokemon.  I've played through two of them- I've been the best like no one ever was.  I'm just saying that some of the poop talking on MW isn't just "I can't get into it/ I don't like it."  That's fine, that's a taste issue.  But when people start trying to point out all kinds of epic flaws, they really need to look at the series that they love and evaluate what similarities there are instead of just going    MW2.5 AMIRITE GUIZE AM I COOL COUNTERCULTURE YET

You've played only TWO of them and you're calling them out? It would be better if you played none of them. What two did you play, RBY and GSC? Because those are more like your MW1/MW2 if anything, since GSC was essentially an extension of RBY without being a direct sequel.

I can't really get into the whole series of CoD because the games really don't seem that different to someone who's not a fan. The same could be said about Pokemon. If I was going to play a CoD, I really wouldn't give a flying intercourse  which one it was. With Pokemon, it's the huge graphical changes that help to differentiate which version you're playing (look at Red next to Black), otherwise the same argument could be made.

If you're not a fan, the games look the same. I'm not a Final Fantasy fan, and they have how many intercourse ing games in their series? And people compare like "XII is better than XI" and I don't know what the intercourse  those numbers are, nor could I differentiate between ANY of the games because I haven't played them.

DESPITE ALL THAT, Going that crazy for the new CoD on release day is still outrageous. I can understand casually driving out to Gamestop or whatever that afternoon, grabbing the game, playing for about an hour or two, then putting it down until the morning. I do that when a new Pokemon game comes out. I don't let a next-in-series video game dominate my life for 24 hours, losing sleep and work over it and whatnot. Why can't those CoD fans stick to playing the new game when they have time to do it? It'll only become obsolete in a year anyway. Don't rush, you have plenty of time to play the game over again.
[move][/move]

BOREDFOREVER

Quote from: Kayghost on November 15, 2011, 10:23:15 PM
You apparently haven't noticed the insanely high amount of elementary and middle school kids who prefer CoD over any other game. Seriously, open your eyes. There are a TON of them. You're making a generalization that Pokemon fans are just a few years out of toilet training while CoD fans are corporate business man. Try again.

Again, open your eyes. I see it all the time. CoD fans say Pokemon is too repetitive. It's everywhere, and if you haven't seen it, that's not my fault. Maybe the gamers around you are different than the ones in my area, but I doubt that's the case. There's poop talking on Pokemon everywhere. It's on every game, and you just don't see it because you agree with the CoD fans. Okay.
Different wars. Different regions. New characters. New Pokémon. New weapons. New attacks and abilities. You're seriously making a blatant double standard here and you have absolutely no basis. They're both the same basic idea of "Catch/kill 'em all!"

I seriously CANNOT see WHAT your basis of argument in that last paragraph was, since you proved nothing at all that you were trying to prove. Not to even mention Pokemon Black/White are set in a totally different country than the previous games. They both do the EXACT SAME FUCKING THING.
Catch 'em all. Kill 'em all.
You've played only TWO of them and you're calling them out? It would be better if you played none of them. What two did you play, RBY and GSC? Because those are more like your MW1/MW2 if anything, since GSC was essentially an extension of RBY without being a direct sequel.

I can't really get into the whole series of CoD because the games really don't seem that different to someone who's not a fan. The same could be said about Pokemon. If I was going to play a CoD, I really wouldn't give a flying intercourse  which one it was. With Pokemon, it's the huge graphical changes that help to differentiate which version you're playing (look at Red next to Black), otherwise the same argument could be made.

If you're not a fan, the games look the same. I'm not a Final Fantasy fan, and they have how many intercourse ing games in their series? And people compare like "XII is better than XI" and I don't know what the intercourse  those numbers are, nor could I differentiate between ANY of the games because I haven't played them.

DESPITE ALL THAT, Going that crazy for the new CoD on release day is still outrageous. I can understand casually driving out to Gamestop or whatever that afternoon, grabbing the game, playing for about an hour or two, then putting it down until the morning. I do that when a new Pokemon game comes out. I don't let a next-in-series video game dominate my life for 24 hours, losing sleep and work over it and whatnot. Why can't those CoD fans stick to playing the new game when they have time to do it? It'll only become obsolete in a year anyway. Don't rush, you have plenty of time to play the game over again.

Just saying open your eyes over and over isn't make a point.  I'm not basing opinions on "people in my area."  That would be dumb.  I'm  basing it off of larger samplings and what I see on gaming blogs.  I've never seen an article on Kotaku called "Ten reasons to hate Pokemon."  The visceral need you have to protect your interests to the detriment of all others is what I'm calling you out on.  And I think playing two different generations all the way through, and part of a third, is enough to form an opinion considering the time dump it takes.  How many Prestiges have you gone through in MW?  It doesn't make much sense to try to call me out on my lack of knowledge of your series when you seem to have spent so little in mine.

People get CoD on day one because of the structure of the mp.  In Pokemon, you spend dozens of hours offline building a team before you go head to head against human players.  In CoD MP, the only thing that counts is online time.  Getting it day one gives you a more even playing field.

And yeah, I call out Pokemon players for being young, because it's a funny stereotype that always gets Pokemon people riled up.  But it has it's basis in truth.  By it's very rating, it's more difficult for a 12 year old to buy/ obtain CoD than Pokemon.  Of course both games cover a wide swath of demographics.

Really, don't try to defend the story.  C'mon, if you think they are equal, you've deluded yourself.  Seriously, MW is Tom Clancy on steriods.  Pokemon games aren't about the story, and that's fine.  But the single player MW campaign is.

And as for your final point, people are free to spend their time however the intercourse  they want to.  You don't get to bash a game just because some people lose sleep playing it.  They obviously enjoy it.

Zero

Yeah. True enough BFB.

I guess I'm just not into realistic shooters.

Silverhawk79

After beating the campaign in MW3...I do agree it's a lot like MW2, but there were some nice additions here and there. The endgame was satisfying too. Trying multiplayer right now.

Kayo

Quote from: BOREDDEVILBOY on November 15, 2011, 10:54:39 PM
Just saying open your eyes over and over isn't make a point.  I'm not basing opinions on "people in my area."  That would be dumb.  I'm  basing it off of larger samplings and what I see on gaming blogs.  I've never seen an article on Kotaku called "Ten reasons to hate Pokemon."  The visceral need you have to protect your interests to the detriment of all others is what I'm calling you out on.  And I think playing two different generations all the way through, and part of a third, is enough to form an opinion considering the time dump it takes.  How many Prestiges have you gone through in MW?  It doesn't make much sense to try to call me out on my lack of knowledge of your series when you seem to have spent so little in mine.
Just because you haven't seen something doesn't mean it doesn't exist, however I'm too lazy and/or preoccupied to go find some at the moment, so I won't go into that. Also, my basis is this, if you've played none of the games, you can't really make too much of a judgment of the series as a whole. But you've played the two most similar games in the Pokemon world, so naturally you sound like you think that all the Pokemon games are exactly like those two, and you feel your point is 100% backed up. It's not.

QuotePeople get CoD on day one because of the structure of the mp.  In Pokemon, you spend dozens of hours offline building a team before you go head to head against human players.  In CoD MP, the only thing that counts is online time.  Getting it day one gives you a more even playing field.
That may be true, but I still don't think it's an acceptable excuse to miss a day or two of your job, especially if you step into a boss's shoes to look at it.

QuoteAnd yeah, I call out Pokemon players for being young, because it's a funny stereotype that always gets Pokemon people riled up.  But it has it's basis in truth.  By it's very rating, it's more difficult for a 12 year old to buy/ obtain CoD than Pokemon.  Of course both games cover a wide swath of demographics.
American kids are so spoiled these days, their parents usually don't give a intercourse  and will buy them whatever they want. It IS just as easy for a kid to get CoD, these days. But it wasn't that way several years ago.

QuoteReally, don't try to defend the story.  C'mon, if you think they are equal, you've deluded yourself.  Seriously, MW is Tom Clancy on steriods.  Pokemon games aren't about the story, and that's fine.  But the single player MW campaign is.
I didn't try to defend the story, bro. I passed over the topic because it's impossible to form an argument in that regard when you haven't looked at the story the way I have. (Pokemon Emerald had a decent story).

QuoteAnd as for your final point, people are free to spend their time however the intercourse  they want to.  You don't get to bash a game just because some people lose sleep playing it.  They obviously enjoy it.

I'm not trying to get people to change the use of their time. I'm just saying it's absurd.
[move][/move]

BOREDFOREVER

Quote from: Kayghost on November 16, 2011, 01:00:26 PM
Just because you haven't seen something doesn't mean it doesn't exist, however I'm too lazy and/or preoccupied to go find some at the moment, so I won't go into that. Also, my basis is this, if you've played none of the games, you can't really make too much of a judgment of the series as a whole. But you've played the two most similar games in the Pokemon world, so naturally you sound like you think that all the Pokemon games are exactly like those two, and you feel your point is 100% backed up. It's not.

That may be true, but I still don't think it's an acceptable excuse to miss a day or two of your job, especially if you step into a boss's shoes to look at it.
American kids are so spoiled these days, their parents usually don't give a intercourse  and will buy them whatever they want. It IS just as easy for a kid to get CoD, these days. But it wasn't that way several years ago.
I didn't try to defend the story, bro. I passed over the topic because it's impossible to form an argument in that regard when you haven't looked at the story the way I have. (Pokemon Emerald had a decent story).

I'm not trying to get people to change the use of their time. I'm just saying it's absurd.

Well, I'm not lazy.  I searched Kotaku for "hate" and "pokemon" together.  I got nothing.  You don't have to look very hard to find a CoD hate thread/ article.

You still try to gloss over the fact that you have spent almost no time in MW, but feel you should be able to make strong arguments against it.  I played FireRed and Saphire back to front, and I spent about 50 hours in Diamond before boredom took over.  I think that 250+ hours qualifies me to make some judgement calls about the series.

And you can say that it's absurd to miss a day of work for a video game, and you can say that it's ridiculous from a "bosses shoes," but the fact is that you have never had a fulltime, year round job.  You get vacation, personal, and sick days, and you are allowed to use them how you see fit.  And the fact is that people often have a lot of these days left over in November. 

So before you try to attack my points as coming from ignorance, remember that you haven't spent anywhere close to as much time in MW as I've spent in Pokemon, you don't have a full time, year round job, and you've never been a boss. 

That mindset is what frames most of the CoD hate that annoys me the most.  You just jumped on a CoD hate bandwagon and went to town.

People have honest criticisms of the series, and I'm more than happy to cede that some of them are valid.  You've been valiantly defending every aspect of your beloved series, even going as far to protect the story by saying I haven't seen it from your angle. That's not a valid defense of a story.  If you got married holding a teddy bear, that doesn't make the teddy bear spectacular to everyone, just to you. 

You have Pokemon all over your profile.  You post about Pokemon, and in Pokemon threads, more than most people in this forum.  And yet you find someone's fervor for another series absurd because you don't like it.  That's the issue at heart, and the one I've been making since the beginning.  So many of the people who have been hating on CoD for it's popularity exhibit the same fervor for other series that are just as flawed.  That is what's absurd: that you are unable to look at what you do and like and see any parallel between it and the actions of CoD fans. 

They may take different actions than you, but the motivation is coming from the same place.

Macawmoses

Not to get into the argument, but it is super easy for kids to get CoD et al. This is coming from someone in the public school system five days a week. They're all playing it.