News:

UH SOMETHING BROKE HANG ON

Main Menu

The save feature and how it has ruined some games.

Started by …, January 06, 2008, 11:20:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you remember Super Mario Bros.? Having to go through the same levels over and over again trying to get to the end? Or Star Fox 64 and Sonic the Hedgehog 1 & 2 on the Genesis? I think part of what made them so much fun was that they had no save feature, and having to play the same level over and over made you really good at it where you could just blast right through most of the levels with no problem at all. Also it it made the games last longer and made them more memorable. And they were addictive too, because you wanted to beat them so bad.

I wish they would make some more games like that.
...̅̅̅

Mystic

JMV

i would love to play through twilight princess without saving. ^_^
Boyah Forums | Join Boyah

Quote from: Mystic Swampert on January 06, 2008, 11:34:01 PM
Super Mario Bros has a save feature....
You know what I meant.

Quote from: JMV290 on January 06, 2008, 11:36:02 PM
i would love to play through twilight princess without saving. ^_^
Dang it I said some games. :(
...̅̅̅

Mystic

Obviously I don't know what you're talking about. SMB's save features is just like any other games'  :-\

Jono2

Quote from: LinkXLR on January 30, 2008, 09:10:54 PM
Quote from: famy on January 30, 2008, 08:36:30 PM
is big willy unleashed a will smith game

...I'm not even gonna touch this one.

SteamID: Lazylen

Quote from: Mystic Swampert on January 06, 2008, 11:58:41 PM
Obviously I don't know what you're talking about. SMB's save features is just like any other games'  :-\
Not really as it only starts you out at the beginning of whatever world you were last on. It doesn't start you on the specific level that you were on. Granted after you beat the game you can choose what world to start in but you still can't choose what level.

Not that it matters anyway because the warp in 1-2 can take you to world 4, and the warp in 4-2 can take you to world 8.
...̅̅̅

ROOk15

Well if you get a game over you have to start all over again anyways.

The Seventh

Quote from: ROOk15 on January 07, 2008, 04:25:19 AM
Well if you get a game over you have to start all over again anyways.
Yeah, which at times can be a BIG pain.  Also, saving allows you to stop if you don't have time to continue on, and doing levels over, and over, and over again CAN be a pain.

I can understand how you feel, LiveOnTheEdge, but...
meh

blue_slime

No, I never liked having to beat SMB in one sitting.  The saving in VC is a godsend.

StarWindWizard7

Collecting all the Chaos emeralds, after working so hard to get them....

I do not wish to lose them by not saving and having to start all over.

It become a pain more and more. Not to mention reaching a high score or something along those lines.
Not saving and having the possibility to lose that is a terrible Idea.

If the game I'm playing doesn't have a save feature and I need to go to bed or sleep, trust me, that thing will be on
All night until I beat it or eventually save it.

Chain Chompesque

While those games are good, (I used to love Star Fox 64) it unfortunately makes more of a push for a shorter game. Or having the entire game be on a timer--We saw that in Pikmin. Great game, but painfully short because you only have thirty days until the atmosphere kills you. And also, long stretches with no save points...are not always fun. (Pit of 100 Trials--I beat it in one try, but it took me three-four hours.)
To be seen, stand up. To be heard, speak up. To be appreciated, shut up.
Also, you can't spell slaughter without laughter!

Join the Mushroom Kingdom wars!

Join the Pikmin wars!

Dumple Land! <-Click this one.
Labor! I said labor, dang it!
Time for transport!

Syncopathic

Quote from: StarWindWizard7 on January 07, 2008, 09:18:49 AM
Collecting all the Chaos emeralds, after working so hard to get them....

I do not wish to lose them by not saving and having to start all over.

It become a pain more and more. Not to mention reaching a high score or something along those lines.
Not saving and having the possibility to lose that is a terrible Idea.

If the game I'm playing doesn't have a save feature and I need to go to bed or sleep, trust me, that thing will be on
All night until I beat it or eventually save it.
maybe a save juat for the chaos emeralds, or high scores, but not the actual game...

Zovistograt

um...no, I like my games to be convenient and challenging at the same time, not just challenging.  I like to play most games for only a few hours at a time and not for nearly as much time as I go on the Internet, and sometimes I have to stop gaming suddenly, so I like to have a way to save my progress and stop.
"I lovat a gabber.  I could listen to maure and moravar again.  Regn onder river.  Flies do your float.  Thick is the life for mere." - James Joyce (Finnegans Wake, page 213)

Quote from: Zovistograt on January 07, 2008, 02:48:22 PM
um...no, I like my games to be convenient and challenging at the same time, not just challenging.  I like to play most games for only a few hours at a time and not for nearly as much time as I go on the Internet, and sometimes I have to stop gaming suddenly, so I like to have a way to save my progress and stop.
Well my point was is that I don't those games would have been as popular as they were if they would have had a save feature in them. And that I wish they would make some more games like that. And anyways it made they games last a lot longer and added to the replay value. Nowadays most games you just play through once and never pick it up again.

Also I'm not saying that the save feature is a bad thing as most or all games nowadays would be practically unplayable without saving. But I do think that they should design some more games that are to be played without a save feature.
...̅̅̅