News:

ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL.

Main Menu

The save feature and how it has ruined some games.

Started by …, January 06, 2008, 11:20:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tupin

If it wasn't for saving, games would be REALLY short.

Quote from: SkyMyl
Tuppy frightens me with his knowledge of legacy technology.

Zovistograt

Quote from: LiveOnTheEdge on January 07, 2008, 02:53:44 PM
Quote from: Zovistograt on January 07, 2008, 02:48:22 PM
um...no, I like my games to be convenient and challenging at the same time, not just challenging.  I like to play most games for only a few hours at a time and not for nearly as much time as I go on the Internet, and sometimes I have to stop gaming suddenly, so I like to have a way to save my progress and stop.
Well my point was is that I don't those games would have been as popular as they were if they would have had a save feature in them. And that I wish they would make some more games like that. And anyways it made they games last a lot longer and added to the replay value. Nowadays most games you just play through once and never pick it up again.

Also I'm not saying that the save feature is a bad thing as most or all games nowadays would be practically unplayable without saving. But I do think that they should design some more games that are to be played without a save feature.
right, well, I agree that the lack of a save feature makes games more involved and challenging to complete, but I don't find it necessary for most games...including Starfox 64 :(
"I lovat a gabber.  I could listen to maure and moravar again.  Regn onder river.  Flies do your float.  Thick is the life for mere." - James Joyce (Finnegans Wake, page 213)

StarWindWizard7

um...no, I like my games to be convenient and challenging at the same time, not just challenging.  I like to play most games for only a few hours at a time and not for nearly as much time as I go on the Internet, and sometimes I have to stop gaming suddenly, so I like to have a way to save my progress and stop.
Well my point was is that I don't those games would have been as popular as they were if they would have had a save feature in them. And that I wish they would make some more games like that. And anyways it made they games last a lot longer and added to the replay value. Nowadays most games you just play through once and never pick it up again.

Also I'm not saying that the save feature is a bad thing as most or all games nowadays would be practically unplayable without saving. But I do think that they should design some more games that are to be played without a save feature.
I got an idea,

how about all games you wish didn't have a save feature, you Don't Save!

You just turn it off and start all over that way with out saving.

(I mean, you don't have to save in games after all)
For the most part.

Quote from: StarWindWizard7 on January 07, 2008, 03:07:27 PM

I got an idea,

how about all games you wish didn't have a save feature, you Don't Save!

You just turn it off and start all over that way with out saving.

(I mean, you don't have to save in games after all)
For the most part.
Well like I said, most/all games would be unplayable without saving. And the games are designed in such a way now that it infuriates me if I die and have to repeat a part of it over again after accomplishing so much. Usually when that I stop playing that game for a while anywhere between a couple days to a couple months.
...̅̅̅

WiinolikePS3

Obviously you need to play MMZX Advent on Expert without saving. Have fun.

That game is an action-platformer, and it's made for speed runs, (I beat the game in Beginner mode in less than 2 hours), so it could actually be beaten without a save feature... in Beginner. It'd be fairly hard in Normal, and it'd probably be IMPOSSIBLE in Expert. Try it. That's a game where it's possible, and sorta made for it, and yet... would you really want to? It's infuriating enough when you die and have to start at the beginning of the area, but the beginning of the GAME?

Kraziwun

I don't think I'd buy a a game if it didn't have a save feature.